• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Maquia Will Make You Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:36 am Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
FireChick wrote:

No. The DVD release only has the English dub with burned in captions for some reason. The blu-ray version, both the regular and SE versions, are fine.

So did Anime World Order lie to me?

No, they didn't. The original Shout Factory Blu Ray release of Maquia does have hardsubs for the Japanese language track and a separate video encode for the dub, both on the same disc. The Limited Edition version published later has proper software-generated subtitles like virtually every other anime release.

I am unsure about your logic. But nice to know I knew the truth.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:15 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm due to revisit this, if I'm willing to endure the emotions again. Laughing
I don't think I've yet seen the titles which gave Mari Okada her fame (eg. Anohana), but I was definitely impressed and knotted up inside after watching Maquia. I wish I gotten to see this one on the big screen.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:20 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
FireChick wrote:

No. The DVD release only has the English dub with burned in captions for some reason. The blu-ray version, both the regular and SE versions, are fine.

So did Anime World Order lie to me?

No, they didn't. The original Shout Factory Blu Ray release of Maquia does have hardsubs for the Japanese language track and a separate video encode for the dub, both on the same disc. The Limited Edition version published later has proper software-generated subtitles like virtually every other anime release.

According to one rightstufanime review of the LE, "The subtitles are more like dubtitles." Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? I'd love to buy this movie (based on watching it one night when the emotions were definitely heightened by altogether too much alcohol), but not if all the releases of it are flawed.
lemurs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
According to one rightstufanime review of the LE, "The subtitles are more like dubtitles." Does anyone know if there's any truth to that? I'd love to buy this movie (based on watching it one night when the emotions were definitely heightened by altogether too much alcohol), but not if all the releases of it are flawed.

There's three subtitle tracks on the LE. One is the songs and signs, one is a closed-captions style dubtitle track which matches the English audio, and one is a regular subtitle track whose phrasing is quite different from the English audio.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

There's three subtitle tracks on the LE. One is the songs and signs, one is a closed-captions style dubtitle track which matches the English audio, and one is a regular subtitle track whose phrasing is quite different from the English audio.

You helped 2 people today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2