• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Hayao Miyazaki's Fried Egg Topping Opinions Spark Friendly Twitter Debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
My favorite way to eat fried eggs is broken yoke and crispy, with a tortilla and a side of ketchup and guacamole. Yum.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
The most disgusting thing I have been served (note: not eaten past one bite) was a fried egg sandwich and I can't imagine a sauce tasty enough to make them palatable, so Fried eggs?...Blech!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
God I miss being able to afford eggs.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Fried with broken yolk and a pinch of white pepper and salt. (yes, I always break the yolk, seems not many do, intentionally at least?...)

prime_pm wrote:
God I miss being able to afford eggs.

Eggs have gotten more expensive here too(Finland, Europe), though not extremely so, a carton of 15 eggs you can usually pick for about ~€3.50(we do have dozen cartons too, but it's more convenient to pick a larger one...). Well, 'more expensive' is relative I guess, at least compared to the prices of eggs I've read from over there US lately...
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:22 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I have always wondered if Japanese have a different soy sauce than the one I buy in the market.

The damn thing always tastes like salty water to me, some times I try to use the one that comes with sushi, but it's the same salt infused thing.

I don't get it.

Yes, since there a variety of soy sauces from light to dark. Even different countries have different methods and amount of ingredients for their soy sauce(Most Chinese Soy Sauce are made of soy Bean while Japanese soy sauce is made from both Soy Beans and Wheat).

If you want something sweet and thicker for your eggs, i recommend dark soy sauce which is thicker and sweeter than light soy sauce.

As for me, i prefer my eggs with a mixture of soy sauce, Tabasco, pepper, ketchup and cream cheese.

Oooh.... that explains it, thanks.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I just remembered, they had this same discussion in Digimon Adventure.

It was a fantastic way to present the children to the watcher and show their differences, I remember everybody losing their minds when girly girl Mimi said she liked nato on her eggs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The most disgusting thing I have been served (note: not eaten past one bite) was a fried egg sandwich and I can't imagine a sauce tasty enough to make them palatable, so Fried eggs?...Blech!

There are far worse things you can eat/sample.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The most disgusting thing I have been served...Fried eggs...Blech!
And those would be called broccoli and brussels sprouts A President can't be wrong... Wink
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And those would be called broccoli and brussels sprouts A President can't be wrong... Wink

Trust me, ground beef and chopped broccoli, fried, with some greens and spices, can be VERY tasty Smile ...
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Fried with broken yolk and a pinch of white pepper and salt. (yes, I always break the yolk, seems not many do, intentionally at least?...)

Same way I've done it ever since I was a kid. Buttered toast dipped in the yoke is divine!

Within recent years, I have discovered that fried eggs on top of enchiladas is also awesome. (Sadly, the Mexican restaurant chain which used to serve that as a standard menu item was a COVID casualty, at least in my area.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The acclaimed Ghibli director thinks fried eggs go best with Worcestershire sauce

He's right, they do taste better, but not just with that sauce. If there's no Worchester, then substitute with HP sauce instead. Wink
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:41 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
]broccoli and brussels sprouts[/b] A President can't be wrong... Wink

Hard disagree on Broccoli.

Not wrong on Brussel Sprouts though cooking and feeding anyone that should be a war crime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:17 am Reply with quote
I think it all depends on WHAT you're serving the fried egg with. If it's ramen, noodles, rice balls, etc I would agree with soy. Or maybe ponzu. If it's a breakfast dish then fry it in a bit of Worcestershire sauce and drizzle some garlic hot sauce or sriracha over it. Though personally I have become fond of this 1 brand of Korean kimchi mayo on my eggs at breakfast. The key to frying the egg though is use butter, not oil in my opinion. As for broken or intact yolk, dealer's choice.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:20 am Reply with quote
For me I like ketchup on eggs. Hot sauce is also good.
fanime99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Same way I've done it ever since I was a kid. Buttered toast dipped in the yoke is divine!

Within recent years, I have discovered that fried eggs on top of enchiladas is also awesome. (Sadly, the Mexican restaurant chain which used to serve that as a standard menu item was a COVID casualty, at least in my area.)

A yoke is used with oxen.

A yolk is part of an egg, and yes, it is pronounced the same as yoke, but it is not spelled the same way.

My favoured condiment for fried eggs is a little salt. I enjoy eggs scrambled, too
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3