• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With All the Delayed Aniplex Shows?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
LadonTree wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
For sure. I don't doubt it played a role, but relying on the same old ways of trying to crank out as much content on as tight a deadline as possible was going to make it a problem that they couldn't work around.

Since the production committees have to pay for TV time, I do wonder of the added cost of relying on reruns and then buying more time to finish the season will make them take note.

Yeah, they're burning money on these delays, it make more sense to finish a season before broadcast.

Speaking of the scheduling practice in anime:
In the 2000s, it's common for a 1-cour (or 2-cours) show to have its first 6 or 7 episodes (or first 10 or 11 in 2-cour shows) being completely finished months before it first airs on TV, with the remaining episodes being finished while the anime was still airing (at the beginning or in the middle of the run, but not the end).

In contrast, the average 2010s anime had its first 3 or 4 (6 or 7 for 2-cour shows) episodes being finished months before it airs, with the remaining episodes being finished while the anime was still airing even in cases where final episodes were made weeks before the end of its TV run.
The average anime of this decade is struggling to keep up that practice from last decade, and with the rise of anime popularity overseas and China becoming one of the biggest anime markets, some shows have all of their episodes being finished in advance before TV airing just to be approved by the National Radio and Television Administration for Chinese streaming media services.

For most modern anime with most or all of their episodes being finished months before the TV airing premiere, it's either because the production schedule of a particular show is very good, had only one annual project to focus on in the case of small studios, or had a luck out because of having a good production team led by a charismatic animation producer (but not always).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that insight. I didn't realize that earlier in the century, shows typically had more episodes in the can prior to air date compared with later on. That change certainly explains the increase in delays these days. If you have a shorter runway then naturally there is a greater chance of something crashing.
Seibaa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:07 am Reply with quote
Lol "is covid a problem" yeah man I am pretty sure it's a problem

But yeah almost certainly just covid compounding Aniplex's other issues which they've never sought to fix. I remember being in Japan on the precipice of covid that January and hearing all kinds of stories about the nightmarish production of the High School Fleet movie which was released while the known cases were still 0.

It was an issue before covid, it was an even bigger issue when we didn't know how to fight covid, and if they're just gonna be apathetic about protecting animators from disease and overwork then it's gonna stay a problem.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:12 am Reply with quote
People have claimed for years that the whole anime production system was operating at unsustainable levels. Apparently covid has not only limited the available animators but has cut into their ability to outsource to cheaper countries. This may be just the additional problem necessary to cause a major restructuring of the industry. I don't expect to see the whole industry crash and burn since it is based on a lot of independent companies. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2