• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime You Should Have Watched in Spring 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
There's manga that actually go full incest and its not terrible (cant remember the name cause its been like 20 year) so story about it can work, but its really weird to set it as an harem and still go the incest route when the main character has plenty of other choice...

Andromeda Stories is a legit masterpiece and a personal favorite, despite the incest. That's the only one I can think of. Also, agreed.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The mutated babies thing isn't really the best argument against incest, since they can just, you know, not have kids. Unless you want to say all people with bad genes shouldn't be in relationships.

It's too bad Valvrave didn't get any mention in this article. Now there was a wild anime.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:26 pm Reply with quote
One spring 2013 anime I've always felt is criminally underrated is Yuyushiki. It's one of those shows that's waaay better in execution than what a quick summary of it might lead you to expect. ("Cute girls Google weird things.")
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
The mutated babies thing isn't really the best argument against incest, since they can just, you know, not have kids. Unless you want to say all people with bad genes shouldn't be in relationships.

That's what I came here to say. If you think the thing that's bad about incest is the gene thing, that's basically a justification for incest (there are, of course, many relationships between people who can't have kids. So incest is a-ok then?). When I see people say that I can only assume they don't know what's actually harmful about incest and have never thought about it.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
That's what I came here to say. If you think the thing that's bad about incest is the gene thing, that's basically a justification for incest (there are, of course, many relationships between people who can't have kids. So incest is a-ok then?). When I see people say that I can only assume they don't know what's actually harmful about incest and have never thought about it.

Indeed. Kinda reads like some weird eugenics thing and uh.. hm. Well anyway, moving on. I'm fine with incest anime and it's a popular theme so complaining about it is kinda useless. Onimai was another recent incest anime everyone loved so it's not like it was some old trend that died off. Still pretty popular and always will be, I imagine.

Calling Flowers of Evil's anime a overlooked gem while damning Oreimo is certainly a take though. One of the most beloved and successful anime being compared one of the most ridiculed and mocked adaptions ever. That rotoscoping animation was a laughing stock for a reason. I feel bad for manga fans who were excited when the anime adaption was announced. The manga is kinda interesting and would recommend that though. Who could forget the infamous "Nakamura, unf unf" though.. shame about that whole affair.

IIRC Gargantia wasn't underrated though. It was pretty successful and popular at the time. But there was behind the scene production issues that kind of screwed it over from a second season from what I remember.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Railgun S would probably be my pick for the top show of Spring 2013, though Yuyushiki and Aiura were both very enjoyable as well. I also laughed quite a bit at Azazel-san's second season (though neither TV anime could live up to the greatness of the OVAs which preceded them).

My pick for what not to watch would be Red Data Girl which original series came from the usually sure-handed PA Works, but boy did they screw up with RDG. It's a series that is bafflingly obtuse and not sure what it wants to be and ends up being not much of anything at all. Then again, it was better than Glasslip which would come out a year later, but still, my trust in PA Works was shaken by RDG until it was redeemed completely by 2013 Fall's Nagi no Asukara which I assume took up all the actually good talent.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My pick for what not to watch would be Red Data Girl which original series came from the usually sure-handed PA Works, but boy did they screw up with RDG. It's a series that is bafflingly obtuse and not sure what it wants to be and ends up being not much of anything at all. Then again, it was better than Glasslip which would come out a year later, but still, my trust in PA Works was shaken by RDG until it was redeemed completely by 2013 Fall's Nagi no Asukara which I assume took up all the actually good talent.

All of RDG's problems can be blamed squarely on the decision to adapt (iirc) five novels out of a six-novel series into a single cours of anime. Only the most padded of LNs (like the first book of Overlord, where the part before the protagonist goes outside is longer than any single book of Slayers) can stand up to that kind of treatment, and RDG isn't even an LN.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Um… maybe we should just go nuts with seasonal anime streaming and watch everything immediately because we never know when it will all disappear forever? Oh crap, that's a terrible lesson. Instead, let's all buy multitudinous Blu-rays, everyone! Physical media for the win! I'm sure there's no downside to that… (My wife and my bank balance beg to disagree.)

Yes, physical media for the win!.

As they said in the Aliens movie, "It's The Only Way To Be Sure."
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I still enjoy Oreimo (Ruri threw in the towel way too soon!), even still buying the merch, but I equate the series to a road trip to an anime convention, but on the return trip everyone is exhausted and somebody drives the car straight through your bed room wall.

Yeah, I was enjoying Railgun S a lot as well, it was last Railgun series to actually feel like it was being given some room to breathe and not rushing through the story at such a breakneck pace it was hard to understand what the hell was going on.

I remember getting a little invested Valvrave (as well as Gargantia)... but I honestly couldn't tell you much about it. Lots of giant robots, dictators and super powered villains in military uniforms or something... I think there was a girl, too...?

I also remember enjoying The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat. It was different and fun and not as perverted as the title suggests.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The mutant babies incest rant is so over the top I can't tell if it's serious or not. I hope it's not, because that's not the reason incest is (usually) problematic.
Brack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Has already been 10 year?

Would have loved to watch flower of evil since I really like rotoscope, but I cannot stand show about horrible people being horrible to each others when we're asked to take them seriously.

It's also horrible use of rotoscope.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Then again, it was better than Glasslip which would come out a year later

Being better than Glasslip is... not a very difficult bar to hurdle.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

@meiam
Are you referring to Koi Kaze?

Yeah I think that's the one.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Angel M Cazares wrote:

@meiam
Are you referring to Koi Kaze?

Yeah I think that's the one.

That was well done (if you can accept falling in love on a first semi-date), and is a far cry from approving of incest.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't care that OreImo went the incest route, fiction can and should have the freedom to explore these taboo topics if it wants whether comedically or dramatically (whether it does so successfully is another matter entirely), but did it have to be so mean-spirited and weirdly soapbox-y about it? Kyousuke screwing up every other relationship he had just to bone his sister was what *actually* made it bad. Anyway I have Complicated Feelings on incest but just know that the mutant babies argument is cartoonish

Anyway Railgun S was the best show of that season. Shoutout to Devil Survivor 2 The Animation by taking a game that already took clear aesthetic influence from Eva and just deciding to copy it to the letter.

Part-Timer was very cute, shame it didn't have a follow-up.

OH F***, IS THAT INAZUMA ELEVEN GO: GALAXY??!!

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3