• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunbuster Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
To me,the fact that "Gunbuster" finally got an English dub after so many years without one,is a superb thing. Since this thing was so influential,it deserved it. And,I'm glad to hear that it was a good one. It may be a while before I see it to give you my view of it,but hopefully,it's been worth the wait.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:24 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Key wrote:
Anyway, always felt that the lack of an English dub was a glaring omission from the 2007 release, so I am eager to see how the series plays with it. The price is plenty cheap enough to warrant a double-dip.

Bandai Visual had a big stick up their butts about being too snobby to make dubs. "We know anime fan wants" indeed.

Isn't the English dub based off the Japanese Blu-ray's 5.1 remix? That would explain it since this supposedly had no M&E tracks when the DVD came out.

Covnam wrote:
So the Science extras were cut too? :/

The Science extras were included with the episodes, so I didn't really think of them as "extra" in the same way. Sorry for the confusion!

Not quite, it was reported elsewhere that the ones made for the Japanese Blu-ray are missing.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/797659-discotek-media-licenses-gunbuster/page3#post840914

Quote:
The only downside are a few extras that I wish were there (these were in the JP BD release). For example the "Sizzler Project" short doesn't seem to be included. And even though Discotek previously said this disc would have "all the science lessons​," as far as I can tell it doesn't have the 2 new ones that were made in 2012 for the JP BD release. Somebody can correct me if I just missed it somehow? The 6 science lessons that are included are basically interspersed between the episodes in the same way they were on the original VHS release I think.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=21129274

Quote:
I was surprised by that too, I was really looking forward to them, especially the time dilation one.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarifications everyone =)
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:34 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Covnam wrote:
So the Science extras were cut too? :/

The Science extras were included with the episodes, so I didn't really think of them as "extra" in the same way. Sorry for the confusion!

Not quite, it was reported elsewhere that the ones made for the Japanese Blu-ray are missing.
https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/797659-discotek-media-licenses-gunbuster/page3#post840914

Quote:
The only downside are a few extras that I wish were there (these were in the JP BD release). For example the "Sizzler Project" short doesn't seem to be included. And even though Discotek previously said this disc would have "all the science lessons​," as far as I can tell it doesn't have the 2 new ones that were made in 2012 for the JP BD release. Somebody can correct me if I just missed it somehow? The 6 science lessons that are included are basically interspersed between the episodes in the same way they were on the original VHS release I think.

There are two shorts as extras included in the Discotek release. They were both in the 2007 Bandai DVD release. The surprise is that the "Sizzler Project" short which was also on the 2007 DVD set was not included. If you have the older DVD set I would suggest you hang on to it. There were other extras made for the 2012 JPN BD which obviously didn't make it and is understandable if they want to keep something exclusive for Japanese audiences. The omission of the "Sizzler Project" and the English commentary is perplexing since the Japanese BD is over a decade old so its not like they have to worry about reverse importation as much and it was already included in a previous release, but its Japan and they sometimes have their reasons or make strange requirements for licensing.
Rob J.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Anyway, always felt that the lack of an English dub was a glaring omission from the 2007 release, so I am eager to see how the series plays with it. The price is plenty cheap enough to warrant a double-dip.

Bandai Visual had a big stick up their butts about being too snobby to make dubs. "We know anime fan wants" indeed.

As a newbie to anime who's coming to them through Sentai's insane sales, I've got to shake my head at that attitude. I understand the appeal of subtites. I'm High-Functioning Autistic, so I need to see live-action foreign language films in their original languages to get the inflections not simply in the actors' voices but in their body language -- if you're watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or even an episode of any of the original Ultraman series in a dub, you're doing it wrong. But I've found that the exact opposite is true with anime -- I need to hear the dialogue in English because, especially in the case of comedies and comedic scenes, the dialogue in the original Japanese is so fast that it makes the subtitles hard to follow. Simuldubbing is a much-needed next step to expanding the reach of anime to the casual viewer.

And, I mean, seriously, how did Bandai think they were going to be able to expand the fanbase if they were going to just cater to fans of subs? I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more TV/Film fans than me who prefer subs for live action and dubs for anime.

So, yeah, I'm very glad that the Gunbusters OVAs are coming out with an English Dub track after reading (and posting to) the review of the movie a couple of months back. No English Dub wouldn't have been a breaking point, but having the English Dub puts it at the top of my want list.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Back in stock at Right Stuf now.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:18 am Reply with quote
Rob J. wrote:
Key wrote:

As a newbie to anime who's coming to them through Sentai's insane sales, I've got to shake my head at that attitude. I understand the appeal of subtites. I'm High-Functioning Autistic, so I need to see live-action foreign language films in their original languages to get the inflections not simply in the actors' voices but in their body language -- if you're watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or even an episode of any of the original Ultraman series in a dub, you're doing it wrong. But I've found that the exact opposite is true with anime -- I need to hear the dialogue in English because, especially in the case of comedies and comedic scenes, the dialogue in the original Japanese is so fast that it makes the subtitles hard to follow. Simuldubbing is a much-needed next step to expanding the reach of anime to the casual viewer.

And, I mean, seriously, how did Bandai think they were going to be able to expand the fanbase if they were going to just cater to fans of subs? I'm willing to bet that there are a lot more TV/Film fans than me who prefer subs for live action and dubs for anime.

So, yeah, I'm very glad that the Gunbusters OVAs are coming out with an English Dub track after reading (and posting to) the review of the movie a couple of months back. No English Dub wouldn't have been a breaking point, but having the English Dub puts it at the top of my want list.

People still hadn't come home from the sub vs dub wars at the time, which was VERY silly because we had DVD! There was no reason to fight! Subs are good and dubs are good and each one is fully necessary to different populations! It's about accessibility!!!

Bandai wasn't interested in growing their audience. They were a Japanese company using Japanese business strategies: bare-bones releases that they expect a few collectors will pay a premium for, rather than something more moderately-priced that a larger of number of people would buy. They also liquidated after three years, so we all know how that went.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:39 am Reply with quote
I'll give the dub a listen when I get it, I wasn't that fond of their Memories dub but this does have VAs I like.
I'm a bit lost, I've seen numerous titles, Gundam entries, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Stand Alone Complex as well as most 00s Bones titles dubbed by Bandai. I thought they only released a few titles sub-only.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm a bit lost, I've seen numerous titles, Gundam entries, Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Stand Alone Complex as well as most 00s Bones titles dubbed by Bandai. I thought they only released a few titles sub-only.

Bandai Visual USA and Bandai Entertainment USA were two separate companies. BVUSA basically tried to be Aniplex of America before AoA, the difference being that AoA was mostly pushing hot recent anime while BVUSA was mostly pushing classic titles that didn't have enough die-hard fans to pay for premium pricing.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:52 am Reply with quote
Their re-releases of classics like Patlabor movies 1 and 2 and Gunbuster were well received. They were high quality and the prices were fairly reasonable for what they were. The Patlabors in particular had separate standard releases and premium versions with storyboards, interviews, etc. Patlabor 1 & 2 also had new dubs, I think their only ones.

They were pushing it with Royal Space Force, which was $80 MSRP as BD/DVD or HD/DVD combos only.

But most of their releases were recent anime, and their approach with those confirmed they were truly out of touch: these were usually two episodes per disc, with MSRPs higher than a standard DVD (like 40 bucks as opposed to 30). Freedom in particular was 40 dollars a disc for a single 25 minute episode. Some had extras (Wings of Rean had really nice booklets with a lot of information and interviews), most did not have anything notable for the price.

On top of that, although they were new to new-ish titles, it was mostly stuff people had never heard of or didn't care about. The price was the main issue either way, but it did contribute to further mockery (not to mention it was extra annoying for those who did want those titles).
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For those newer to anime fandom (admittedly this happened before I got into anime (got into anime November 2008), but learned of it later on), here's the context.
Huntressfan wrote:
I realize one of my greatest "accomplishments" in anime fandom was taking the infamous pic of the "We know everything about ANIME FAN WANTS" from the Bandai Visual panel at Sakuracon from around 11 years ago. Glad to see the pic still used from time to time.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5IhC7UXsAAT3JL?format=jpg&name=orig
https://twitter.com/Huntressfan/status/1121996262449065984

Yes, that is an actual slide from an actual anime convention.

There was also this.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-04-10/fans-confront-bandai-visual-about-pricing (You'll need the Ruffle extension to play the audio clips because of Flash.)
https://web.archive.org/web/20220816205359/https://animesuperhero.com/forums/threads/bandai-visual-tries-to-use-japanese-pricing-for-r1-galaxy-angel-rune-hilarity-ensues.4322171/ (The AnimeOnDVD thread used to be archived too, but then the archive disappeared years ago. The amount of salt and anger in that thread makes ALL of the Aniplex USA pricing complaint threads here on ANN look like nothing, and this was in 2007 when singles were still the main way anime was released. https://i.imgur.com/hCgLi8P.jpg https://i.imgur.com/u6HenEh.jpg -Anime Source was included in FUNimation releases until 2011.)

They also notoriously heavily, heavily, heavily overestimated demand for Patlabor. It didn't sell well for CPM, and the 3rd movie bombed incredibly hard for Geneon. The prices you could get those Patlabor LEs for later though are a steal. Some of the most packed releases ever, with booklets that even go into how the anime industry came to be (Ex: https://i.imgur.com/0dhtkcK.jpg).
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2014-11-14/.80961 (2nd question)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:30 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
For those newer to anime fandom (admittedly this happened before I got into anime (got into anime November 2008), but learned of it later on), here's the context.

…Jeez, I was into anime at the time (though my first time watching a series as it was coming out wouldn't be until Clannad S1 later in 2007), but I must've either forgotten the details of the Bandai Visual/Bandai Entertainment distinction or not have been paying that much attention to anime news. Maybe it was around then that I learned what Japanese disc prices were like?

Thanks for the rundown; I love this kind of history. Not that I love this history, exactly (I'd rather live in a world where more companies were competently owned and managed), but still.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Since you brought up Gundam, Bandai Visual USA only had one series, MS IGLOO, which was never dubbed.
nyaa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
One of my all-time favorite series (short and sweet). The dub really makes the viewing experience much more enjoyable what with all the melodrama and pathos than watching it in japanese. Even though it was included as a hook the concept of time dilation as the speed nears that of light makes it very interesting-it was used in Christopher Nolan's Interstellar a few years ago to good effect. Gunbuster is first and foremost a space opera and boy does it do an excellent job of it-all I've got to say is if you've never seen it before-what are you waiting for?
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The dub is extremely good. It really makes me hope they make a Diebuster dub as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2