• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Undead Murder Farce (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:30 am Reply with quote
The perp truly was a dumb teenager thinking that he was different and better than everyone else. A little bit of thought would have made clear that his thinking is wrong, after all, the great Dracula fell too. Not to mention that there are many hunters out there who can kill him, plus how outnumbered monsters are compared to humans. It even shows in the he way he fought, all he can do is rely on his abilities and not show the slightest bit of skill.

Anyway, the case was fun and every part of it flowed well and entertained. There was enough information for the watcher to figure things out as well, no sudden bits of evidence or moon logic popping out of nowhere. The payoff was indeed there and it was satisfying. As for after the case and how the family will change, who knows, maybe for the better?

Also, on a sidenote, looking up the volumes of the novel makes clear how messy the releases for it are date wise. There is a volume in 2015, 2016, 2021 and the fourth one just came out.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 5 sure was one of those episodes that kind of requires you to watch it multiple times. Every episode of a detective series always has information to take in that might or might not be important/related to the case. Introducing characters, locations, details etc. Episode 5 had a crazy amount of all that. In just slightly over 20 minutes we had around 14 new characters, information about the case, information about the location where the diamond is with all kinds of details, information about the background of said diamond and more.

I loved the episode and it was very interesting, but I will repeat saying that it sure was a lot to take in. I am also very curious about how the different groups will interact, since we have two villain teams wanting to steal it and (besides the police) three teams that want to protect it. Also plenty of quirky people in said groups, so it will be a fun time.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote

That's one way of starting the arc: Throw in over 10 fictional personages from the Victorian era into one setting, add in a unique artificial diamond kept in a nearly unlockable silver safe as the target for an announced theft and then throw in different factions bent on either seizing the prize or keeping it safe. Too many cooks might spoil the broth, but I have to hand it to this franchise for its ambition.

The depiction of Holmes and Watson in this franchise is surprisingly close to how the pair are described in their source material. Holmes especially reminds me of the actor who played him in a live-action adaptation years ago on British Television, especially with the height and the piercing stare. Rindou Aya didn't want to meet him if possible, but she has no choice as now they both work for the same client. He's one-upped her in this week's little puzzle about the thieves, but this is her story so she'll find some way of getting even.

Arsene Lupin lives up to his reputation as Continental Europe's Master Thief, but it's surprising he's brought in the Phantom of the Opera as his assistant. The latter doesn't seem to mind joining in, even if it means being taken away from his beloved Paris Opera House. Physically the Master Thief should be a match for Holmes, Watson and Tsugaru, but he's not meant to be fighting and would most likely pull off his heist in the most stylist manner possible and without violence. He's heavily outnumbered though, and that's not even considering the OTHER faction which is also interested in Phileas Fogg's great treasure.

Personages introduced in this arc formally in the episode:

- Sherlock Holmes
- Dr. John Watson
- Phileas Fogg
- Passepartout

Personages in the episode credits:

- Moriarty
- Aleister (Crowley) = the illusionist
- Carmilla (Bloody Carmilla, the Vampire)
- Victor (Frankenstein)
- Jack (the Ripper?)
- Bingly Brothers (the thieves in the prisoner stagecoach)

Looking at the cast above, I would not be surprised if Arsene Lupin was blindsided by the other faction forcing Holmes and Aya to take on the other mastermind head on.

The Royce agents have no love for monsters, and since Fogg is one of their customers they might make good on Aya's warning about their hostility to monsters and off Tsugara and Aya given the chance. That makes things more difficult for our main trio, but they're neutral to Holmes and Watson so will their interference make the diamond easier or harder to steal?

It's an ambitious setup, but for me getting a mystery which can be solved with the available clues given from the get-go is the most important component for entertainment. There's a lot in this episode as already mentioned, so sifting through the actual clues from the red herrings is going to be a tall order. Aya's final remark on Ishikawa Goemon is cryptic, but Japanese viewers who have advance knowledge compared to everyone else who has to google the reference will have a head start. Will the denouement feature both Aya and Holmes or just the former to upstage the latter? Plenty to look forward to nonetheless.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Most underappreciated show of the season. Witty writing and gorgeous illustrations. That scene with all the colorful pennants in episode one remains in my memory.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:22 pm Reply with quote

It's quite the jarring start to the episode. Who would have thought the pair would make such an elementary error and walk off with the wrong birdcage? Silly as it is, it does give an excuse to somehow contrive a meeting in person between Lupin's camp and the birdcage trio. Holmes and Lupin were going to meet anyway because the latter specifically arranged for it, but meeting the birdcage trio would have been impossible except for a fabricated Deus Ex Machina to bring them together.

Mycroft Holmes as expected is just as sharp as his younger brother; even Watson couldn't see through Lupin's disguise despite being his closest confidante. Unfortunately he won't be playing much of a role in this adventure, but he does give context to the time period (8 years after Reichenbach, so Sherlock is not in top physical condition). In addition, Mycroft is almost certainly correct with regards to the Royce agents: Fatima's reaction to Sherlock's statement indicated as much. If they're not interested in helping with the defence, they'll be happy to see Fogg and company drown and will wait to ambush Lupin after he's seized the chest.

Because of the contrived misplacing, we get to see Lupin and Tsugaru square off against each other. This is the first fight Tsugaru has lost, and it's clear Lupin is a dangerous opponent because of his special marbles. Did Tsugaru go easy on him? Or did both of them pull their punches and Tsugaru came off worse? If there is a rematch, I'm not betting against it being 1 vs 2 with the Phantom helping his employer. As a bonus, we even find out what happens to Rindou Aya if she receives an otherwise fatal blow not dealt by Tsugaru: she can regenerate more or less instantaneously which is why even Vampires are in awe.

Is Lupin really responsible for the moat sabotage? It sounds out of character, and getting the Phantom to infiltrate the grounds with a guard's uniform suggests he was trying something more stylish and less obvious as there was a hidden staircase in that still shot. It would not surprise me if it was Moriarty's crew that was responsible for the moat blast, as both would have easily reasoned Sherlock Holmes would deliberately ruin the front door locks to prevent lockpicking. Lupin did say he left two seeds to mislead Holmes, so the locked box was most likely the first. The second is not yet revealed, but I'm certain next week will reveal that clue to us if Lupin is indeed responsible for the moat.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 pm Reply with quote

This episode is wild. All of the action saved up from the previous two weeks is packed in here, with more to come as the arc isn't finished yet. There's a lot of information packed in as well, but the focus will most likely be on the ongoing battles and those to come as the mystery component is effectively solved. All that remains is to see who has the force of arms necessary to secure the diamond from the other contestants.

Turns out Lupin's scheme to extract the diamond was indeed his alone and did not involve potential loss of life. A clever one as well: instead of forcing the locks himself as well as having to risk the safe, he simply gets others to do for the work for him. If he was alive today, I'd shudder to think how effective he would be as a professional Phishing exponent. He must have looked up the specs for the vault as well as the moat, and figured out there'd be enough time to empty it before the occupants inside were drowned or the safe lost amidst the floodwaters. Holmes not to be outdone figured out the disguise as well, through means which even Lupin could not have ascertained (incredibly sharp hearing combined with his inductive reasoning), but Lupin's sleight of hand and improvisation win out.

Throughout it all, Rindou and company play their hands just as it seems Lupin is getting away with it. Typically for this series, Tsugaru does his best Rakugo storyteller impression in the midst of all that physical activity and times his ending just after he descends into the greenhouse. The animators have good form for this kind of dramatic timing. Rindou's big surprise is also an unexpected one: it relies on Lupin not knowing who she really is. After that, it's a matter of how strong her teeth and jaws are and her sense of timing combined with her hearing. She's immortal, and her regeneration was proven in last week's episode so doing what she did for an extended period would have been painful but possible.

Royce's (or should we mean Lloyd's, the real-life insurance behemoth whose name has been changed for this adaptation to avoid potential litigation?) backstab was expected, but Moriarty's gang choosing this exact moment to make their entrance sounds pre-planned rather than in response to ongoing events. Moriarty must have figured out attacking at this point before Lupin could make good his escape would have the best chance of seizing the prize, and he has his half-Oni (Jack) in the ranks. Bloody Carmilla wields her sword faster than humans can react, while Aleister Crowley the illusionist tricks his foes into believing he really has magic before Holmes once again sees through the illusion. Rindou does not know who Crowley is, so it means she and Tsugaru only met Moriarty at various times. Tagging along with Holmes and Watson means she can still play a part with her knowledge, but without Tsugaru and Shizuku she's at greater physical risk especially if Jack bumps into them.

For this arc's finale, I'm not expecting much more than all-out action as everyone goes in hard for the diamond. By the looks of it, no one can stand against Moriarty's crew so I'm inclined to think they'll get away with it if one of their number seizes the prize. Otherwise, it would be Rindou's trio provided they can fend off Moriarty and company's greater numbers to buy enough time for reinforcements from Scotland Yard to somehow cross the bridge and force the assailants' retreat.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote

Quite the conclusion to this arc. As anticipated, all of the ongoing battles were concluded one way or another. What surprised me was last week actually having the bulk of the action, as this week's episode devoted quite a bit of airtime into explaining Moriarty's motivations, the truth behind Tsugaru's half-oni transformation and Rindou Aya's physical form. Moriarty is formally introduced this week for those who cannot/will not look at episode credits, as well as everyone else in his crew (with the exception of Carmilla and Victor who viewers have to look up with regards to their true identities).

Phantom Erik isn't superhuman or unnaturally strong like the others in this arc, but his mastery of acoustics means he's even better than Lupin at physical misdirection. After that, all he has to do is arrange the local battlefield in his favour and he becomes incredibly difficult to defeat without the right matchup. Against an opponent who can only shoot crossbow bolts, that matchup is indeed in his favour even though he took one in the shoulder.

Shizuku gave Carmilla a good run for her money up to the point where the aphrodisiac venom took effect. No counter to that, so Shizuku is literally saved by firework. She did have the tools to beat Carmilla, so if there is a matchup her mistress needs to help her against the venom to avoid a repeat of the first duel's outcome.

The 3-way fight is surprisingly cut short with Jack the Ripper himself intervening to seize the diamond. After hearing Moriarty's explanation, Tsugaru cannot defeat Jack as it's a half-oni vs. a Chimera of oni, vampire and human. Tsugaru's Oni abilities mean Jack cannot use his vampiric regeneration, but in terms of raw physical strength (and murderous cruelty) Jack has him beat. If there is going to be a rematch, Tsugaru will need all of his wits to surprise Jack to provide an opening for one fatal blow. Otherwise it's a battle of attrition he cannot win.

Holmes' use of martial arts combines his powers of observations with precise aim, but he's older now and can't keep it up for long. That's probably what his brother Mycroft meant, since Holmes seemed to stop attacking immediately after Aleister was struck by his own dart. That did enough to keep the pair alive, but Moriarty's intervention (and decision not to send Victor after them to clean up) stopped that battle short.

My initial guess about Moriarty's gang getting the diamond proved correct up to the very last moment. Turns out even Jack didn't anticipate getting his pocket sliced open during the melee, so they go home empty-handed and he is publicly embarrassed in front of his Master and associates. Lupin and Erik get away with the safe, although I have no idea how Aya was supposed to secure it given she's not able to bite the safe while in her cage. And at the end of it all our main trio learn the identity of their target and acquire a lead on their next plan of action. I wouldn't call this arc a farce, but it's been great entertainment all the same and very different in tone and execution from the previous murder mystery. The final arc will most likely be the werewolves and the main trio's attempt to fend off Moriarty's approaches; I wonder what fare they'll serve up then to round up this adaptation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I decided to wait until the arc was complete before watching further and I am very glad for it. I love the show, but it is way more enjoyable to binge one arc/4 episodes at a time than to wait for a new episode every week. The first arc/vampires was a slow paced one with lots of conventional detective snooping. This one was one giant thrill with plenty of action and lots of quick-witted thinking. Lots of very famous characters too. It seems like the last arc of the season will be about the werewolves, given that there are 5 episodes left it means another meaty arc is about to commence.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote

The third and final arc begins. Unlike the last two all-action episodes, it's back to the pattern established in episode two with the vampires. There's a lot of information to absorb and digest for viewers, and there's a time limit as well as it appears this mystery is just the appetiser for the main course to come. Taking into account what transpired in the last episode, action won't be too far away as it appears a lot of factions are converging on Western Germany for various purposes.

The wheel of fortune turns for the werewolves. The dwarves crafted that black diamond and silver treasure chest as the vessel for their eventual revenge against the beings which slaughtered them, and through the flashback we know one of their number was in turn hounded by humans and apparently slain. The hidden village where they reside is now the target for the main trio, Moriarty's gang and the Royce monster hunters, with the main trio having the head start as they're on site and have the key required to gain access to the village.

The village might be plagued by kidnappings and serial murders, but it appears the parents of the latest victim are hiding something together with the pistol-armed Doctor. Rindou Aya has made the bet she can uncover the truth in 48 hours, so I expect the mystery behind the latest kidnapping and the rest of the murders to be cleared by next episode with the village chief keeping his end of the bargain. The remaining episodes will be the race to the werewolf village to hold off Moriarty's gang and somehow keep the Royce agents from killing everyone in sight.

Too many clues thrown out in this episode for the crime scene, plus there's the flashback to consider as well as the shifty nature of the rural villagers and their pronounced aversion to visitors. For the mystery lovers, picking over the details in this episode will definitely require several episode views and copious note taking. The vampire arc was fair as all of the clues were spread out through the episodes and nothing was wasted for the final solution; I can only hope the same holds true for this short mystery before the spotlight moves on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:51 am Reply with quote
My personal theory followed that the previous victims were all young women, but then this frail young woman was supposedly attacked but doesn't match the previous instances. So my theory pretty quickly was that the frail girl was the werewolf, who was jealous of the more able women that she could see from her window and such, and lost control on those rainy nights in taking her frustration out. And so she faked herself being attacked when she was maybe strong enough to use her werewolf strength, but not entirely out of control.

Isn't that the way these secret werewolf stories are meant to go? You should not discount someone just because they don't normally look like the kind that could do something. And a break in a pattern is probably a big clue that it was not as it seems.

Why would the werewolf have needed to come in through the chimney if it could as easily break through in through the window as it did out? I purposefully asked for the fire not to be lit, so she could create the cover story for why the window was broken outwards.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote

I was wrong. The mystery behind the kidnappings and serial killings looks like it will be the central focus for this arc, with the werewolf village most likely serving as the finale but without any mystery as all of the deduction will be done in the lead up to it. The episode throws up more questions than answers, so depending on how it's done the denouement has its work cut out for it as this is the first time the adaptation has actually been "unfair" in its depiction of clues.

From the first episode, the difference between Louise's disappearance and that of the previous victims was highlighted. Consequently viewers are led to believe that the unexpected reveal at the end of this episode should be taken at face value and the most recent disappearance considered solved. Aya said as much Louise would not be expected to be found alive, which would be no surprise if the statement was taken at face value. If it is the case, this would be unfair as viewers are not introduced to the culprit until this episode, also the "werewolf examination" was passed by the three outsiders. Passing the examination would not be difficult for wily, experienced werewolves though, since the mayor's exposition on werewolf eugenics suggests they could also overcome their inherent weaknesses through training and practice. If the golden werewolf is NOT the culprit behind the Louise kidnapping, then it remains interesting. Only factor contributing to this unlikely theory would be the later admission that Louise ended up stuck in the river when attempting to visit Alma. How did they fail to find her if all she had to do was scream loudly for help once she heard the sound of rescuers?

The big surprise would be Louise herself being the werewolf, which has already been speculated on this thread. That being said, it would be a surprise her parents did not know, and it would pose questions on why the parents are harbouring a werewolf when the mayor explicitly said werewolves can only reproduce with their own kind. The other possibility stems from the flashback: since Jutte and Louise are so similar the former impersonating the latter would not be impossible provided she stopped speaking. Jutte was able-bodied to begin with, so getting around by wheelchair to maintain appearances would be sufficient so long as she maintained her silence. The flashback scene isn't in colour, but when the girls are placed side by side they have similar hairstyles and stature, so it's not surprising even Rosa might make the mistake as she'd assume Louise would never be out of her wheelchair. If Rosa can be mistaken, the deception can go both ways provided Jutte never speaks after replacing the real Louise.

Alma is voiced by Nabatame Hitomi, so I'm expecting more from her as this is not the calibre of VA to be cast into a bit-part role. Perhaps viewers will learn more as the arc progresses.

The arrival of the two Royce agents complicates matters as the monster hunters add time pressure, being just as likely to kill the main trio before letting them finish their commission. Tsugaru likely sensed being watched by Crowley from a distance, so the trio already anticipate Moriarty's crew intercepting them for the diamond sooner rather than later. Shizuku is most likely taking the most direct route to the werewolf village, so I'm not expecting her to be removed from the story permanently at this point. Her rifle won't be much use now that it's been soaked, not that silver was much of a guarantee against the latest breed of werewolf.

Three episodes to go, so will Aya solve the serial killings next week or the week after? My bet is two weeks from now, or very late on next week's episode. That will leave enough time for everyone looking for the werewolf village to race the main trio to it once the path opens.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:57 am Reply with quote
I am still keeping to the theory that Louise is the werewolf. She might have picked up the existence of the other two werewolves through her own heightened senses. She was travelling to the artist's house because she actually planned to set the artist up as the culprit, and I would also point out that the werewolf had been spotted near her because it was practicing to be able to imitate her. We only heard her voice and saw a shadow, so I don't think it is who we are supposed to think. The claim of her symptoms starting a year earlier like she was transformed, also don't match the lore we learned earlier, a clear attempt to mislead.

Louise is blonde, right? Just like the fur of the werewolf. The comment of her being neglected is probably also relevant, the distance people gave her are probably a main reason that she attacked other normal girls. Again the whole window thing is that her being the werewolf the window was broken from the inside, and no one actually came down the chimney.

As for why rain. Maybe people were less likely to come to her at those times, or the tracks would have been harder to spot, which would point to the werewolf actually being very calculated when it killed, and wasn't just instincts out of control. i could even use this as explanation of her manipulating other people to see her as a saint, but she turned on the werewolf mother and daughter, because they were in her territory.

Actually, if the story of the mother mistaking Louise for her daughter was true, could it have been that Louise happened to have her own werewolf ears out? It could explain why they were more easily mistaken, or even why the mother said it in the first place. If they do look similar, it could also be that they are actually related, being something like a cousin. And either her supposed parents are not really revealing that they are not her parents, or she might have been swapped out changling/cuckoo style.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:40 pm Reply with quote

This episode completely overturned my expectations. It looks like there's going to be a race to the werewolf village AND another mystery to solve involving the werewolves to solve. The coincidence between the two cases is so uncanny that the most likely conclusion to be drawn is that the same culprit is responsible for both sets of murders. Rosa's daughter is the prime suspect if she's acting alone, if she's working together with an accomplice then Alma is the only other candidate. If Alma is responsible (alone or with Jutte), viewers need to know more about her background as she has means but no motive for either set of killings. Whether Jutte's posing as Louise is debatable, but she's the only one with the motive and means to commit both sets of murders and remain undetected if working alone. The werewolves have already confirmed it's impossible for a human to commit the murders as they'd be detected soon after by the werewolf village defence corps, and it takes a werewolf to know which form to aim for if murder is the objective.

Shizuku should have paid more attention to her mistress when she's at work, although to be fair to her watching from afar is no substitute for actual detective work. She's worked out a few of the clues because of her own experience with firearms, and she's already struck by how unlikely it is for a firearm loaded with buckshot to make no noise when fired, which is very difficult in this setting when firearms cannot be outfitted with portable silencers. The other question which is not explicitly stated is the timing: Nora was still alive when they hatched the plan to allow Shizuku to escape, so someone must have exploited the opportunity to kill her when she was making her way to the Western Forest. That someone already has the shotgun stolen from the human village a year before the serial murders began, and it's safe to say the culprit is definitely in the vicinity of the Werewolf Village, which has no issues with escaping outsiders persecuted from elsewhere if they are the same species.

Regi and Nora were close, so the motive for revenge is the only one which comes to mind. The remaining mystery deals with how Jutte escaped the fire unscathed, how she successfully impersonated Louise without being detected and what exactly happened when she "disappeared". Considering how hard it is for Aya and company to actually make their way to the village on foot, a werewolf might have an alternative route which only they can use because of their ability to transform. Regi is even more of a xenophobe than the human village chief, and she's not much use for actual detective work when her questioning is little more than a public execution for the benefit of her bound constituents. The defence corps is slightly more reasonable, but Shizuku is on borrowed time if she's going to avoid execution and needs to find something to convince them to stay their hand long enough for the main trio to be reunited. That might not be long, assuming Aya and Tsugaru survive the plunge.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
I feel more pushing a theory I had last week, that Louise or at least the killer is some kind of pariah werewolf. My thought was that if it is Louise, she might have been removed from the village for being impure or a failed eugenics, which the beginning of the episode I think points the killer being a half werewolf. The mother was banished from the village from having a child with a human. My feelings are still that it is Lousie, and that could be why she is limited to a wheelchair most of the time. But at the same time that could be Jutte that replaced Louise.

The killer feeling spurred by both werewolf and human society, and is setting up the other group as the serial killer. Killing the werewolf maidens I guess just before they were to be bred to make a new child. If it is Jute, it is because she and her mother were chased out of both, and if Louise she might in general be spiteful of both. It does also explain why she did away with herself this time, as she was maybe planning to try and have a war breakout.

Wait a minute. The werewolves in the fire had turned into wolf forms when they died, but the werewolf girl bodies that were killed, all look they were in human form. This could mean that neither of the bodies found after the fire might have been them.

For the apparent possible strange behaviour of the werewolf girls before they were killed, it might have been that Louise/Jutte made contact with them beforehand. She revealed to the girls the truth of what happens when granny calls on them, making them start to not trust their society, and allowing her to get in close and trusted. The obvious point is that a gun wasn't used for the murder, only to make it seem like it was done by a human.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:31 pm Reply with quote

It looks like Jutte posting as Louise was definitely wrong, since her corpse discovered this week proves the disappearance wasn't staged and Jutte hasn't been impersonating Louise for a long time as the corpse is still fresh. Louise is definitely not a werewolf, since her wounds aren't the same as the other werewolf victims. Alma is dead, and cause of death is by mauling rather than a gunshot wound. A lot of expectations have been overturned in this episode, and the mystery isn't even solved yet even though all hell has broke loose as the Werewolf Village has been uncovered and all-out war has broken out. Even if Aya does solve the mysterious serial killings in both villages, who's her audience to listen to the denouement?

The first scene was already a surprise; Tsugaru and Aya let Victor have his way so that the Royce agents wouldn't follow them to the village and ruin their chances of solving the murders and rescuing Shizuku. In exchange, simply telling the Banquet members where Wolfinhel was appears to have been a calculated gesture as the pair reasoned Banquet were tracking them anyway and would have found the village eventually. Although Aya and Tsugaru knew Banquet were looking for the village, they probably hoped to pit Royce against them to stop both sides from achieving their goals and getting them to wear each other down in the process.

After all this, it's 100% guaranteed Jutte survived the fire and has been hiding in the passageway ever since biding her time for revenge. Why she chose that particular moment to start her scheme on both ends is something to be explained next week. The passageway proves both villages can be accessed within an hour from the central point, so she most likely worked alone and Alma was at best a disposable accessory. If Jutte's werewolf form is the gold werewolf, that would not surprise me either even though the shadow transformation suggested it was Alma.

The doctor's role in this series of murders might be bigger than observed. He was the first one to notice the main pair exit from the tower entrance, and it's not inconceivable he witnessed them coming out from the beginning or knew about the entrance from beyond that. The removal of the evidence when the main pair re-entered the passageway indicates the Doctor is involved in some way, although next week will be decisive in proving or disproving this hypothesis.

Tsugaru actually fought and killed three members of the Defence Corps, but in typical Tsugaru fashion he risks considerable injury to complete his objectives. Not a wise move if he has to fight Royce or Banquet later on, but this is nothing new for him. There are three potential matchups in next week's finale, in addition to an overdue explanation from Aya on the entire process behind the series of murders. That's a lot to pack in for one episode, and how the animators achieve this will determine how satisfactory this arc will end together with the adaptation. It is guaranteed there will be no immediate sequel as the three novels have now been fully adapted, with the recently released fourth being a collection of short stories based on different points of time in the series continuum. If this series is going out with a bang, at the very least the serial murders must be resolved satisfactorily to the same degree (or better) compared to the vampire arc. A lot of outlandish outcomes were eliminated this week to narrow down the focus for viewers, and I'm hoping there are no unfair leaps of logic required to connect the dots when Aya finally unveils the solution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3