• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin Anime's 5th Video Unveils Opening Song, More Cast, Half-Year Run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:34 am Reply with quote
OP song sounds nice. I do hope HEART OF SWORD plays during the series at least once.

Slips Python wrote:
Does any anime do that anymore? Aside from the ones already doing it like One Piece and Detective Conan that run non-stop? Would be nice if they did it like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and do it all in one go start to finish, but that seems unlikely and undoable these days. Two or three 2-cour runs seems reasonable enough.

What is Shaman King for 500 please.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
Slips Python wrote:
Does any anime do that anymore? Aside from the ones already doing it like One Piece and Detective Conan that run non-stop? Would be nice if they did it like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and do it all in one go start to finish, but that seems unlikely and undoable these days. Two or three 2-cour runs seems reasonable enough.

It's not common, but still attempted, at least. Look at Boruto and Black Clover, for examples. They didn't finish their runs, but they also didn't take any breaks until very recently. It seems to be dying out, which is a good thing, IMO.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
Eddy2 wrote:
What do you mean? That dub cast sounds a lot more likely to be used for the reboot compared to most of the other VAs from the older dubs who seemed to have moved on from anime.

Because Kenshin movies were handled by the Funimation/Crunchyroll team back in the day — while the anime most likely going to be handled by AoA, considering they have a panel at AX for it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 am Reply with quote
Looks and sounds good so far! Might take some time getting used to the new voices. Wasn't expecting Satoshi Hino as Saito at all.

But yeah, adapting up to the start of Kyoto and then doing that for a split second cour makes more sense...but really everyone's just waiting for the Jinchu arc.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
How are they gonna tell the whole story in 26 episodes? Will there be a second season?

Yes, IT HAS TO BE. Kenshin is a very long running manga.
Sailor Siren

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Slips Python wrote:

Dragon Quest Adventure of Dai (by Toei) has 100 episodes that adapt all 37 volumes. But yes, it really seems like an exception nowadays.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Who knows? Maybe the producers are testing Kenshin's popularity before rushing the pacing of the entire manga. I mean, the rushed pacing of Hoshin Engi and Shaman King was downright horrible.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The opening song will be better for Bleach.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Who knows? Maybe the producers are testing Kenshin's popularity before rushing the pacing of the entire manga. I mean, the rushed pacing of Hoshin Engi and Shaman King was downright horrible.

shaman king was more fair than hoshin engi actually so it wasn't bad.
SenseiAgot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:53 pm Reply with quote
MV081199 wrote:
I think this season will end with Kenshin going to Kyoto

If they are removing all fillers, they would probably be further along the story. The first time around Kenshin departed by episode 31, but we had 10 filler episodes, so that would leave us at 21 episodes if they don't remove more fluff (which they can certainly do). The departure might happen as soon as episode 15 if they don't rush it too much.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:02 pm Reply with quote
They can save some time by getting rid of stupid and worthless Raijyuta or combining him with equally worthless and stupid Akamatsu.
MV081199

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:23 pm Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:
They can save some time by getting rid of stupid and worthless Raijyuta or combining him with equally worthless and stupid Akamatsu.

I can see that arc getting cut
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Vol 1-4 form an arc and make one cour if adapted right but then what? Skipping Vol 5-6 is the easy answer but that is a question for cour 2 and Saito, a Vol 7 character, is already part of the marketing for S1. Up to 26 eps for Vol 1-17, even if 2 volumes are skipped, can´t work either and would lead to 1 cour for Vol 18-28 if that trend follows.

The manga deserves a full anime adaptation but Watsuki deserves his very own Hoshin Engi 2018 where one volume = one episode and that has to be where this is going. Aniplex licensed this so it´s not just a Noitamina obscurity but good luck marketing it outside of Japan without very loud protests. Putting on blinders is fine and all but the anime´s market is limited so I refuse to believe that the anime can be budgeted properly.

Liden Films produced one rushed mess after the other before starting to calm down recently and doing Bastard, curiously a Jump manga, of all things right. Blade of the Immortal 2019 will be back baby. 2 back to back cours with 24 eps and no animation budget for 30 volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:35 am Reply with quote
gpanthony wrote:

I'd rather they just do another set of cours than skip stuff to try to fit things in 26 episodes.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
What is Shaman King for 500 please.

Hi, friendly former Jeopardy contestant, here, reminding you that there haven’t been odd hundred dollar valued clues on Jeopardy for over 2 decades now, so if you’re gonna make that reference, please do it correctly. TYVM.

As for Kenshin, it was the first manga I collected fully in college after burning through the Tokyo and Kyoto arcs of the manga in high school. I believe it was probably one of the first 5 anime I watched subbed (and among the first times I had to download a codec to watch an anime series subbed). Excited for this new anime, and to possibly attend the premiere event at AX with Rieri. Hearing her as Kaoru will take some getting used to, I can only really see her as Mash most of the time, lmao.

2 cours, huh. Makes sense. Kyoto would be announced after the second cour ends, probably. With no appearance by Shishio or even Sojiro in the trailer, it makes sense that these two cours would be Tokyo arc only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3