• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Part 3 - The Conflict's Promo Video Reveals 2024 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluesPro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MrPuzzles wrote:
All things aside, choosing to end the second cour....in that way was definitely a thing they choose to do.

Better to end it there than to end where people thought it would, which would have involved doing basically none of the new content they added.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I've seen speculation that part of the reason they ended it the way they did and so abruptly was because of production issues.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:42 pm Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:
Better to end it there than to end where people thought it would, which would have involved doing basically none of the new content they added.

Honestly, this season should have ended when Ichigo arrived in Soul Society and saved Kenpachi or right after Ichigo sees Ishida leave for the Soul Palace. I would have preferred that to ending in the middle of a fight. I've heard rumors that this season had the animators stretched thin, which might be why the final 5 minutes of Ep 26 were still shots (not the correct term, but I'm drawing a blank).

If Kubo was given the power to decide how many episodes were greenlit for TYBW, and he was also allowed to distribute those episodes across as many seasons as he thought necessary, I wonder how he'd organize the anime. I feel like this season fell somewhere between "went on too long" and "stopped too soon", which is a weird combination. The standard 11 - 13 episode cour is not a perfect cookie cutter fit for every show, so it's sad to see that interfere with pacing.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:49 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
Honestly, this season should have ended when Ichigo arrived in Soul Society and saved Kenpachi or right after Ichigo sees Ishida leave for the Soul Palace. I would have preferred that to ending in the middle of a fight. I've heard rumors that this season had the animators stretched thin, which might be why the final 5 minutes of Ep 26 were still shots (not the correct term, but I'm drawing a blank).

That would have been terrible. The second invasion is easily the worst part of the entire arc, there is no reason to drag out all its uninteresting fights out to end it that early (and leave so little room for cours 3 and 4 to add new content that's desperately needed in that stretch).
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:57 pm Reply with quote
That's the thing. Kubo has already added new lore and improved upon the "worst part of the entire series" as you put it. He could have done more of that, or perhaps sprinkled in some groundwork for the light novel (in case it gets animated someday). I don't think 52 episodes over four 13-episode cours is a great way to adapt this arc (too few episodes, not enough cours, no need to split the seasons evenly), but I know that's out of Kubo's hands.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:04 am Reply with quote
I disagree the best thing they could’ve done for this section was to speed through it so we don’t have to spend so much time on it. There are times when the way to improve a story is to expand on it, but here with these episodes it’s not. The ending of this arc definitely needs tons of expansion because it was obviously rushed and incomplete, but the rest of this arc doesn’t need a lot of expansion, it needs lots of cutting and reducing of material to make it not a complete slog to sit through, which was the biggest problem for this arc.

Too many of the fights lasted way too long so the best thing you can do, is to speed through it. While I do agree that making every cour 13 episodes isn't the best, cause it does lead to stuff like ending this cour on a complete cliffhanger, I’m glad they only decided to do 52 episodes because if they had decided to adapt it at a slower pace and expand on everything this arc would be way too slow because only half of this arc is actually good and well pace and the other half is just dragged out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
That's the thing. Kubo has already added new lore and improved upon the "worst part of the entire series" as you put it. He could have done more of that, or perhaps sprinkled in some groundwork for the light novel (in case it gets animated someday). I don't think 52 episodes over four 13-episode cours is a great way to adapt this arc (too few episodes, not enough cours, no need to split the seasons evenly), but I know that's out of Kubo's hands.

Isn't he already doing that with expanding on the Soul King stuff?
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:35 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I've seen speculation that part of the reason they ended it the way they did and so abruptly was because of production issues.

The director is busy with the Digimon 02 Beginning movie
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2