• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Rozé of the Recapture Anime Reveals Trailer, Cast, Theme Song, May 2024 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wisthe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:33 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
Well that $550 "complete" Code Geass set certainly didn't stay complete for long. Yes, Crunchyroll didn't call it "complete", ANN did, but all the more reason to just skip it and wait for a Super Deluxe Ultra More Complete Collector's Edition down the road.

Didn't they mention that the set would have empty space for your own 'goodies'? Wonder if this is part of that. Still too expensive for me to consider when I already have the Bandai and Funimation limited editions though.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I want to look forward to this because I loved Code Geass back in the day, but I've been burned too many times by revivals of my old faves to believe it might be good.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
MrPuzzles wrote:
Resurrection was supposed to be a full blown series. Instead, the footage from the first trailer was actually from the compilation trilogy while the project itself was made as a canon override movie.

Res's format was never announced until later. At the time, it was just know as a new Code Geass project; as for the PVs, the initial PV didn't use footage from either the already existing Black Rebellion specials from the original or the recap films. Why? Because the latter was only announced at the same event that we got Res's first PV, of which nothing from it is actually in either comp film sets or Res itself.

Quote:
It kinda sucks being a Code Geass fan.

At least you're getting new animated stuff. Try being a fan of Sunrise's smaller franchises.
MrPuzzles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Wisthe wrote:
Didn't they mention that the set would have empty space for your own 'goodies'? Wonder if this is part of that. Still too expensive for me to consider when I already have the Bandai and Funimation limited editions though.

I mean, you could always throw out the shitty chess set and use that space for this lol.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:22 am Reply with quote
I love Code Geass so I hope this is a worthy entry in the franchise.

I appreciate that they seem to be trying to better blend 2D/CG for the Knightmares more than they have in the past.

Curious where the titular Geass itself will be present in the plot.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:24 am Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:
The three recap films have differences compared to the TV broadcast throughout. The biggest ones IIRC are probably that....

Thanks for the quick rundown.

MrPuzzles wrote:
It kinda sucks being a Code Geass fan.

It was ever thus.

Geass was one of the first anime I really got into, and watched it when it was airing -- it was a crazy time. The first season didn't even finish in time -- I can't remember why -- and we had to wait months for the final few episodes. And then it didn't even conclude the series, but rather set up a sequel -- and while it seems R2 is thought of much more fondly today, it was very divisive in the fandom back when it was airing.

And one of the reasons I've not been in any great hurry to watch the movies is that, from what I've seen, opinions are just as strong -- and just as mixed -- there.

Circa 2008, a lot of folks kind of expected Code Geass to be the next big thing -- the 21st century's Gundam -- the beginning of a sprawling franchise. Only that... never happened. It wound up being another Full Metal Panic, instead.

Dr. Wily wrote:
I want to look forward to this because I loved Code Geass back in the day, but I've been burned too many times by revivals of my old faves to believe it might be good.

I get where you're coming from, but while there have definitely been some truly disappointing anime remakes/revivals in recent years (good God, the terrible things they did to Inuyasha)... I do feel like anime is the one medium where these kinds of reboots have actually worked well, compared to say, streaming shows or live action films or video games -- which are nearly all misses IMHO. Like Space Battleship Yamato 2199 was spectacular; and the recent run of Lupin III series have been pretty excellent; Megalo Box was a lot of fun, I thought; as were the adaptations of Gundam: The Origin in OVA and movie form. And I haven't watched much of it yet, but the new Urusei Yatsura anime seems pretty good, too.

Point is -- there's not no reason to be optimistic.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Circa 2008, a lot of folks kind of expected Code Geass to be the next big thing -- the 21st century's Gundam -- the beginning of a sprawling franchise. Only that... never happened. It wound up being another Full Metal Panic, instead.

I don't know anything about Full Metal Panic, so I don't understand what does it have in common with Code Geass, but as someone who watched Lelouch of the Rebellion several times and also the Re;surrection movie, but not the Akito OVA or the compilation movies,
I think Code Geass was never meant to be a huge franchise with multiple series and spin-offs like Gundam or Macross, despite how successful it was during the late 2000s and early 2010s. This is my own opinion, but I think CG's story is too self-contained, it focuses on very specific characters and it doesn't have room to explore as many side-stories with new characters. I don't know if this sounds crazy, but I think a remake of the original series might be a better idea. Perhaps something similar to the Rebuild of Evangelion movies, changing many story details, updating some things like the technology used in the show (because you can tell that CG was a product of the 2000s), and giving more explanation about the Geass itself
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:03 pm Reply with quote
As a Geass fan, I am looking forward to seeing this story and where they are taking the franchise.

Also as a Geass fan I can already see this landing like a wet fart in a crowded train in the middle of the summer. Geass anything that doesn't have Lelouch and/or CC have had a hard time catching on with the Geass community as a whole. While the assumption is that both will be involved in some manner, not leading with a clip of either of them already has some parts of the community antsy that this isn't going to be a Geass they're interested in seeing. Moreover, the titular "Geass" is also nowhere to be seen (I've heard there was a second video at the event that does in fact show someone with a Geass, but have not seen confirmation of that).

I think many had been anxious for Geass to be more than just "not-Gundam mecha show" so the diminution of the elements that serve to separate it from Gundam, however superficially alike, serve as a detriment. Even looking at this PV, the only thing that screams "Code Geass" about it, aside from the title, is the art style. Otherwise, it could almost just be generically called "Sunrise mecha anime" and you wouldn't really know the difference. You could remove the title and tell folks this was some new Gundam project, some sequel to 00, and it would be believable.

I also question the decisions leading up to this point, but probably won't get in too deep on that right here.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

And one of the reasons I've not been in any great hurry to watch the movies is that, from what I've seen, opinions are just as strong -- and just as mixed -- there.

If you ever want to watch any of the other movies, at least at this point in time...I'd say only Resurrection is what you might want to go out of your way to check out sooner or later. Not to replace the ending of the TV series, which is already a complete experience, but as a possible...well, a post-game adventure is one way of describing it.

It wasn't anything extraordinary, perhaps, but I can say the film didn't have the super wild swings in public opinion that R2 went through. Comparatively, it's been more consistent. Ultimately, the film provides a fun time with the gang, especially since we are unlikely to see them all together again in one project. If that's something you would appreciate, then you might like such a thing.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass in their Yugioh/Beyblade Era or whats will all the Coloured Hair Streaks?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2