• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
Welp, our MC successfully avoided a lot of tropes, but the one where the MC has about as much game as a block of wood is still obvious. That said, I'm enjoying the way his and Suzune's relationship is developing just fine.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yeah, I appreciated the amount of time the show lavished on Suzune and Usato's interaction, too. Suzune is going to have to abandon even the remotest hint of subtlety if she wants to move things along, though... wrapping her legs around his head *might* start to clue him in a bit.

I eagerly await the return of Demon General Juggs (remember her?). I really look forward to watching her... strategic prowesses... in action.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems like war is coming really close now and judging from the future vision thingy that the fox girl showed at the end things are not gonna end well as is. Time for Usato to train even more and intervene I guess. Although I agree that the show has not really had much action thus far, it seems like the war will not be a one and done thing either. If we are going to have like 4 or more episodes of war then I am glad that they have taken the time for a proper set up world/character/story wise.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:43 am Reply with quote
Yah, you won't get any complaints about the pacing from me. Unless it's something along the lines of "Well, why'd you develop these characters? Now I don't want the war to happen you bastards. Is it too late to make this a slice of life anime so these characters I like can just chill?"

But it gives the anime a sense of stakes because the idea of Suzune and Kuzuki dying isn't just a plot point for discussion to me...I really like these characters. And it's not because of any big, dramatic or showy moments either. Kuzuki has hardly had a chance to talk much, but his character is just a quiet, reliable guy, so him just being a quiet, reliable guy actually works in his favor. And quirky, sunny but also surprisingly edgy Suzune is awesome.

Rose and the MC's slightly strange but genuine relationship is also cool, and I'm actually more apprehensive about Rose's fate than the heroes, because she seems like someone who might not mind dying once she's convinced Usato is ready to step up and fill the gap. Kind of an All Might/Midoria thing.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Been busy, but I am delighted to catch up to this season of anime and this one is great. Love the premise and character dynamics. Never once watching this did I feel like I was slogging through another bottom of the barrel sludge fest like most isekai every year, but the characters are likable, the comedy is fun, and the premise is cool even if an isekai about healing magic isn't new since it's becoming a slowly blossoming sub genre of isekai premises.

Still, seeing actual effort to be creative and fun is always welcome in an industry killing itself to try and chase boring trends.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I think I have said this like 3 times already, but the peaceful times are seemingly over. This week was all about the final prep and I am not just talking about the logistics of it, but also getting in the right mindset. The result was some more solid character development, I really would not mind if the whole war thing was to go away and it would just be about the characters adapting in their new world.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Man, this show certain is not afraid to be slow-paced. And frankly, I'm not finding some of the "character" stuff all that convincing. During Attack on Titan, I was convinced that the humans were genuinely shitting their breeches. I'm just not buying it with Kazuki. Perhaps part of it was that they did the classic writing mistake of telling us instead of showing us. Maybe if we'd seen some earlier scenes of him being afraid while fighting I'd be more willing to believe.

So are we finally gonna get some effin' war next time or just more dicking around? And from a strategy stand point why didn't the kingdom choose to defend the river the demon army was building a bridge across instead of deciding to meet it on "the grasslands"? Having to attack across a river is way more difficult to do than on a plain.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
Me, I liked the Kazuki scene, but I agree that this anime's emphasis doesn't seem likely to involve realistic war campaigns, strategies, etc. I did feel like the episode could have been halved, or they could have shown the kingdom frantically preparing for war, people panicking, prices rising, city preparing to be besieged, etc. Seems like the author may be more suited for slice of life than life of slicing type anime.

(Have a rare medical condition where I intermittently spit out lines of cringy glibness...)
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
With episode 8 it feels like the series has made a fumble. I like that the show is slice of life like and thus spends a lot of time building up the characters and the bonds between them. Said characters are great, especially for an isekai, so like we discussed before I would not mind if there was no war. There is a war however and instead of truly heading into that we are getting a lengthy flashback that extends into the next episode. The issue with this is that not only do we know how things will end, it also feels like padding just before things are getting exciting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Yep. The good news? We finally get some demon on human fighting! The bad news? It all happens in the context of a flashback that includes only one of the main cast. Wow. This show really doesn't want to get down to brass tacks does it? But it's cool because there's a whole 5 episodes left! Rolling Eyes

The other thing I'm not crazy about is I like Aul as a character but I'm getting a strong whiff of death flagitis from her. I don't recall seeing this character five years in the future which doesn't give me a great feeling about her survival. Eh, maybe we have seen her before and my crap memory just didn't register it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think what happens to her is meant to be a secret at this point. We've already heard Rose lamenting about having comrades who don't survive, and her memories of a group of shadowy former comrades whose designs are pretty familiar now. I don't have any extra information, but I'm 99% certain they're all going to bite it. (with some leeway for "you abandoned me for dead but now I'm back for vengeance")
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
@ Yttrbio - yeah, that kind of jibed with my memory too but I didn't really want to acknowledge it. Not sure how I feel about having an extended flashback that introduces me to likeable characters only to have them die. Probably not great.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not sure how I feel about having an extended flashback that introduces me to likeable characters only to have them die. Probably not great.

I kind of feel that way about most of the current living cast - not that I think they're all going to die, but there's a part of me that wishes this was just a straight up slice of life anime now since I like the characters and the author has been avoiding the actual war for so long anyhow. And I think I said this last week, but I'm not sure that doing a realistic war anime would count as one of the author's strengths. For example, a unit where the leader regularly gets beat up by the soldiers seems a bit strange...the unit is treated as a sloppy, affectionate slice of life family for laughs and feels. I think that's why I feel some kind of dissonance..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
I don't think you have to worry, Edjwald. Except for the likeable red shirts in the flashback, I don't see this show going full All's Quiet on the Western Front. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if we get to the end of episode 13 and there's STILL no demon-human war in the present day.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, with episode 9 things were definitely not like a slice of life anime. Things ended up rather badly as expected. I still question having a near two episode flashback due to it making the war seem like something that is never getting started, but the episode was effective in showing why Rose is as she is and how the healer organisation got started.

Anyway, the war seems to be starting....for realsies this time?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5