• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit Anime Awards 2023 Jury Picks BanG Dream! It's MyGo!!!!! as Anime of the Year

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish we saw more wins for Trigun Stampede and I have not seen any of the jury's top three picks for AOTY, but I'm always entertained by the dichotomy of winners between the jury panel and the public votes. Whether I agree with the results or not, they are usually always interesting and fun to scroll through. MyGO definitely seemed like a "those who watched it for the most part seemed to really enjoy it" AOTY jury winner similar to some past examples (like both seasons of Rakugo, Chihayafuru S3, etc...) compared to maybe a more divided winner like Sonny Boy? Even if that viewership was relatively much smaller here.

Also great job on the staff acknowledgements this year! Was definitely a highlight seeing those pop up on my timeline.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:58 pm Reply with quote
The real news for me is seeing some Aikatsu love.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite say it'd have had my vote (and that's speaking as a big longtime Bang Dream fan), but it at least makes a lot more sense to me than what the middle schoolers who do the Crunchyroll Awards picked.
48 Rices

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:16 am Reply with quote
<('_')^ wrote:
Is the "Jury" a meme or something? Most of their picks are bizzare.

More like unique. The jury is quite the unique bunch, if I should say.

Florete wrote:
The real news for me is seeing some Aikatsu love.

This too.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:19 am Reply with quote
Oh yes. OH HELL YES! I would definitely pick this over JJK but my personal AOTY was Oshi no Ko.
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:35 am Reply with quote
r/anime has over 9 million subscribers now though the active user count is much, much lower.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:53 am Reply with quote
I like the previous Bang Dream seasons but never watched this one because I am not a fan of the group. In general, prretty weird choices as always. But definetely, some cathegories have better choices than CR.
juaifan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 am Reply with quote
catterbu wrote:
Reddit always comes out with the most interesting awards. Much better than the popularity contest that is Crunchyroil's versions

That's how voting works: the thing with the most votes wins. All voting is a popularity contest. The only thing that changes are the demographics. Of the people who use Crunchyroll, most people there preferred JJK. For people who browse r/anime, they preferred Vinland Saga. For Anime News Network readers the mega poll said Frieren was the most voted for 2023 show. I guess if we want to be more accurate we'd clarify that these results are indicative of the people who bothered to actually vote at those places rather than the entire community in general.
Impermanence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:50 am Reply with quote
RobbiRobb wrote:

I don't know, I really hated it and from the people in my small circle of friends I'm certainly not the only person who thinks that way. It was just such bad-written drama and felt like drama for the sake of drama and nothing else

God, I'm really glad I'm not the only one who felt this way about it. I get what they were going for, but it was executed in just the clumsiest way.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Overall that's a pretty solid list of shows, particularly MyGo winning the jury's show of 2023. That show definitely had a small, but dedicated fandom, so it's nice to see them being represented in such a way. There were shows I ultimately enjoyed more but it's a deserving winner.

Honestly, the Jury/Public vote is the only realistic way to doing an awards like this and getting interesting results. That way both sides are represented. The newer & more casual watchers (eg people with less than 20-50 completed shows) that make up the broader fandom can vote in their yearly populist favourites, while the lifers can highlight some of the more artistically ambitious titles that may have been missed in the seasonal deluge. The shounen faithful get their nerd validation, while anyone interested looking beyond that will find a selection of hidden gems. It's a win/win situation.
Kikoman589

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:45 pm Reply with quote
MYGO, UMA MUSUME, IDOLISH7 AND AIKATSU SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

I find it very interesting that the jury ranked them highly. I agree that having both jury and public sides for these kinds of awards is good because then a larger variety of stuff may get the spotlight.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Honestly, the Jury/Public vote is the only realistic way to doing an awards like this and getting interesting results. That way both sides are represented. The newer & more casual watchers (eg people with less than 20-50 completed shows) that make up the broader fandom can vote in their yearly populist favourites, while the lifers can highlight some of the more artistically ambitious titles that may have missed in the deluge of seasonal releases. The shounen faithful get their nerd validation, while anyone interested looking beyond that will find a selection of hidden gems. It's a win/win situation.

A quick search of the r/anime jury reveals some of them in their early 20s, with an X timeline plastered with idols and cute girls. Evidently they just really like idol shows, going off some of the jury wins. It's probably a bit of an assumption to treat any kind of panel of judges or jurors as some kind of.. erudites of their field rather than just regular people like you or I. All the jury/judge awards in these shows are are a handful of people's personal picks.

I mean, people are arguing if the jury's pick of Aikatsu, a children's movie for little girls, was the best film of the year as opposed to the public who picked Attack on Titan, a shounen movie for boys as best film of the year. Meanwhile, the Crunchyroll Awards picked Suzume. A predictable winner, but probably one more representative of actual 'film critics' if that's something you truly put so much value in them.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
I mean, people are arguing if the jury's pick of Aikatsu, a children's movie for little girls

This Aikatsu movie was actually aimed at the older audience who grew up with Aikatsu (it's a 10th anniversary movie starring the characters who were there at the beginning, now adults). I watched all of Aikatsu as it aired so the movie hit for me, but I can't imagine many, if any, of the jury who voted it can say the same, which makes me wonder if it still works on some level for those unfamiliar with everything that came before.
Dernhelm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:04 am Reply with quote
the winners for Movie of the Year... i guess reddit hates Miyazaki and Shinkai. not even Blue Giant Confused
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
To be honest I didn't watch the Miyazaki and Shinkai ones. Just didn't hear that much interest in them. Or at least, not enough interest that I would skip my favorites to watch them. Can't watch everything, so if it is not on my must watch list, and there is no massive fan reaction to it, probably won't watch it, till months or years later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3