• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokémon Horizons: The Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

I assume it's because Pokemon is strictly for kids and has done everything it can to maintain that absolutely squeaky clean image here.

So what, I can say the same for Digimon and Monster Rancher and yet we have both of them getting uncut Japanese with English subtitles releases in the US. So that shouldn't stop people from letting kids watching them in Japanese with English subtitles.

juaifan wrote:
Offering a subbed version of the anime would open that door up and they would have to officially acknowledge the series history outside of Japan.

And what's wrong with that? Robotech fans found out about the Macross thing and yet we still have Macross with a new dub courtesy of ADV Films back in mid 2000's, and still include the Japanese audio track and voices. That didn't stop Robotech fans accessing that version. There are Robotech fans that probably bought Orguss on blu-ray because of the connection with Macross/Robotech, oh and the fact that Carl Macek revealed that he wanted Orguss in Robotech but was only settled on the main three that make up Robotech.

Quote:
Even in the more recent anime there's been things they've had to cut out of the English version due to how strict standards are here.

Hence why we have streaming for, hell why not put the Japanese version on Crunchyroll and let see how many kids that watched it dubbed, are willing to watch it subbed. We see these same kids watching mainstream shonen anime, so wouldn't it make sense to put Pokemon subtitled version on there too.

Quote:
It could also just simply be appealing to a common Japanophobia sentiments among people. Recently I've seen a few reviewers and content creators bemoan whenever people use Japanese names for anime titles and insist you use the localized English names and if you don't they threaten to shove you into a locker or other bullying tactics.

Uh, do you have evidence of that? Because I find that hard to believe, many people that watch Pokemon back then and today are probably watching other anime today. Like I wouldn't be surprised if the same people that are watching Pokemon as of this post are also the same audiences watching One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, etc.... So if they're watching anime other then Pokemon but in Japanese, then I think they can handled the Japanese name in Pokemon. I mean they already have online resources when it comes to comparing English and Japanese names. So it's not hard that to find information about comparison between English and Japanese version.

Quote:
Pokemon fans seem to be an exception where people will insist that the localization is the canon or preferable version

Again, how many Pokemon fans are also watching My Hero Academia, Dragonball, Naruto, and One Piece also. Because if they're watching them in Japanese. I think they're going to want to demand and watch the Japanese version of Pokemon.

Oh and before you say something else. I did some research and reading and it turns out that subtitles (& closed caption) can be beneficial for kids' reading skill (that include anime and foreign-language stuff):

Why children should be watching TV with the subtitles on

The Guardian article: how subtitles/closed caption could boost children's literacy

If kids are watching anime with English subtitles, then Pokemon shouldn't be an exception. So there's a big benefit of having kids anime with Japanese audio and English subtitles included can be helpful for your kids reading skill.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nipasu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:26 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
This might all seem silly, but it's something I've noticed in the Pokemon fandom. While most people usually make fun of localization that try to make a Japanese game or anime take place in America like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pretty Cure's past dubs, Pokemon fans seem to be an exception where people will insist that the localization is the canon or preferable version

I wonder if it's because the Pokémon dubs are heavily engrained into American pop culture, and many people associate the characters then heir English names.

Regarding Pokémon dubs, I've noticed that people focus mainly on the earlier seasons when discussing cuts and edits I haven't seen many people bringing up the modern Pokémon dubs in any topics about edited dubs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Several kids anime show have been released with Japanese audio for the last few years. I've already mentioned Monster Rancher/Monster Farm and Digimon Adventure 1999/2000. I even said Digimon Adventure 2020 reboot came out on Crunchyroll first in Japanese before the English dub was announced 2 years later after it's CR debut.

I've already said in a above post that Marvel Future Avengers has Japanese dub audio on Disney+ and can be watched in that audio option in the US.
Keep in mind most of those kids shows took them about 20 to 30 years to finally get a proper sub release and it's usually been through the efforts of fans or fan oriented companies like Discotek. It took Digimon Adventure 25 years to finally get a proper subbed release not counting those horrible subs that were briefly on Netflix and it only happened because the people at Discotek actually cared. Even shows that got sub releases like Monster Rancher the dub got a BD release but the sub still hasn't which seems to suggest the sub didn't sell as well as the dub. And Konami seemingly has stopped releasing Yugioh subbed after Vrains and reverted back to their dub only release stye with Sevens. I would love to see subbed Pokemon too but those other shows didn't get subbed releases over night and they only happened because people who cared about them worked their butts off to make it happen.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:21 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Keep in mind most of those kids shows took them about 20 to 30 years to finally get a proper sub release and it's usually been through the efforts of fans or fan oriented companies like Discotek. It took Digimon Adventure 25 years to finally get a proper subbed release not counting those horrible subs that were briefly on Netflix and it only happened because the people at Discotek actually cared. Even shows that got sub releases like Monster Rancher the dub got a BD release but the sub still hasn't which seems to suggest the sub didn't sell as well as the dub. And Konami seemingly has stopped releasing Yugioh subbed after Vrains and reverted back to their dub only release stye with Sevens. I would love to see subbed Pokemon too but those other shows didn't get subbed releases over night and they only happened because people who cared about them worked their butts off to make it happen.

Regarding the part I bolded. That's what happened to Gatchaman (when it came out in the US as Battle of the Planets/G-Force: Guardians of Space), it took about 30 years for the series to get a English subtitle translation (along with a new dub that is faithful to it's Japanese counterpart), my point is that it's better to late then never when it comes to anime getting a uncut English subtitle release. Hell, we just got Minky Momo on Crunchyroll (the first 30 episodes so far as of this post) subtitled 40 years later after Harmony Gold tried to make it available back in the pre-streaming era of the 1980's with no success. As I said, if it has to take many years for that anime to be available, then so be it. I would like to see The last Unicorn getting a Japanese-language release given that Studio Ghibli animators were involved with the animation before Ghibli was even formed.

But I'll say this, there are kids anime that do get subtitled release one way or another. Pokemon should also be part of this "subtitled option" movement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
onpufan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
Regarding Pokémon dubs, I've noticed that people focus mainly on the earlier seasons when discussing cuts and edits I haven't seen many people bringing up the modern Pokémon dubs in any topics about edited dubs.

I can only speak for myself but that's probably because the early seasons are the only dub of the series I've personally seen. When I switch to the Japanese version I re-watched it from the start so I had knowledge of the stuff I had seen dubbed to compare it to.. Anything the later seasons dub did I only know about because I heard it through the grapevine like when they banned an episode of Sun & Moon in the US over a blackface scare.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Looking through Diskotek's releases, I've noticed all the kids stuff they released sub are essentially dead franchises. There is no new Medarot, Monster Farm, Mon Colle Knight, Kyattou Ninden Teyandee, or any other stuff still being made in Japan. A subtitled release is the last chance for anyone to wring out the last bit of money from a dead franchise. Pokemon is alive in healthy so it has no need to release a subbed version. Digimon appears to be the only exception, but their releases also seem to lean into the adult audience even in America with an uncut English dub (never seen it, no idea how uncut it actually is) which panders to people nostalgic for it. Considering how much Digimon merchandise and media is marketed towards adults in Japan these days, trying to market Digimon in the west without acknowledging the adult audience would be disastrous compared to Pokemon which can get away with it since it's such a giant media franchise and doesn't need to cater to any adult fans and can strictly remain a kids. But Digimon is the lone exception of these franchises that decided to grow and age with it's initial fanbase rather than stay rooted being marketed for kids. Well, Medarot did try to do that with Girls Mission back in 2016 but it wasn't very successful.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
Looking through Diskotek's releases, I've noticed all the kids stuff they released sub are essentially dead franchises. There is no new Medarot, Monster Farm, Mon Colle Knight, Kyattou Ninden Teyandee, or any other stuff still being made in Japan. A subtitled release is the last chance for anyone to wring out the last bit of money from a dead franchise. Pokemon is alive in healthy so it has no need to release a subbed version. Digimon appears to be the only exception, but their releases also seem to lean into the adult audience even in America with an uncut English dub (never seen it, no idea how uncut it actually is) which panders to people nostalgic for it. Considering how much Digimon merchandise and media is marketed towards adults in Japan these days, trying to market Digimon in the west without acknowledging the adult audience would be disastrous compared to Pokemon which can get away with it since it's such a giant media franchise and doesn't need to cater to any adult fans and can strictly remain a kids. But Digimon is the lone exception of these franchises that decided to grow and age with it's initial fanbase rather than stay rooted being marketed for kids. Well, Medarot did try to do that with Girls Mission back in 2016 but it wasn't very successful.

Regarding the bold part, although that is a good point. But I have something else that I forgot to mention in my previous post: The Pretty Cure/PreCure franchise

Ever since I think Healin' Good became the first PreCure to get a simulcast in the west via Crunchyroll. I think subsequent PreCure has since then been on Crunchyroll and also simulcast in the US. And as of the simulcast and not counting the first PreCure, Smile, and Doki Doki; a lot of the PreCure titles on Crunchyroll don't have any English dub, just subtitled only. And I have to assume there maybe kids particularly little girls with sufficient reading skill that maybe watching these PreCure titles.

That one is the only children anime that has been simulcasted on Crunchyroll. So Pretty Cure is the only children anime franchise that has simulcasted, subtitled, and have received no English dub (other then the 3 I mentioned above).

Speaking of simulcast, none of the current Pokemon anime has gotten a simulcast broadcasting despite all well-known mainstream shonen anime get simulcast in the US and Japan. The only exception is Pokemon Evolutions (that one was the only Pokemon anime to get a simulcast on Youtube). So people who watch Pokemon and also watch simulcast anime on Crunchyroll are going to take notice of this, and the thought of simulcast Pokemon anime has not escape the fanbase:

Reddit thread #1: What would you think about a subbed simulcast of the Pokemon anime? (from Pokemon Reddit)

Reddit thread #2: The Case For Simulcasts: Why The Pokemon Anime Should Adopt Online Streaming & Same-Day Broadcasts (another Reddit topic that brought up the case for simulcasting Pokemon anime and using other simulcast anime cases as evidence)

I mean Pokemon fans aren't stupid, they already know about other anime outside of Pokemon and when they know about simulcast, that also raises question amongst the fandom. That's why Pokemon Company International/USA and Nintendo really baffle me and it doesn't make for them to not join the simulcast train when other well-known mainstream anime are getting them too. We've already seen mainstream shonen anime like My Hero Academia, Naruto, One Piece, Dragonball, etc... getting simulcast in the US the same time it's broadcasted in Japan. Hell, even Digimon Adventure 2020 reboot was simulcasted in both Japan and USA.

I don't know why Pokemon Company USA and Nintendo are so behind when it comes to both simulcast and making subtitled version available and why is it so hard for that companies to not make the latest episodes available simultaneously.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
And I have to assume there maybe kids particularly little girls with sufficient reading skill that maybe watching these PreCure titles.

That one is the only children anime that has been simulcasted on Crunchyroll. So Pretty Cure is the only children anime franchise that has simulcasted, subtitled, and have received no English dub (other then the 3 I mentioned above)..

Since Crunchyroll is aimed at older audiences, I doubt little kids are the ones supporting Pretty Cure on that platform (or Anime Digital Network) since the series has a large adult fanbase.

Also, your second claim is untrue: Crunchyroll is currently simulcasting Chibi Maurko Chan, and that's a kid's show too.

Edit: I identified who you're quoting. Errinundra.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:26 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:

Since Crunchyroll is aimed at older audiences, I doubt little kids are the ones supporting Pretty Cure on that platform (or Anime Digital Network) since the series has a large adult fanbase.

Also, your second claim is untrue: Crunchyroll is currently simulcasting Chibi Maurko Chan, and that's a kid's show too.

We don't have a report on who's watching anime on Crunchyroll, or who are the audience demographic makeup on who's watching anime on Crunchyroll. But if CR are already has kids anime on their catalog, that means there are a sizable kid audiences that are watching those kids anime on CR. Otherwise, why would Crunchyroll be picking up and streaming kids anime for what reason, I mean few adults and teens would not watch an anime made for 6-9 years old kids (which Pretty Cure is made for). I've also encountered other kids anime on CR, so why would CR be picking this up if CR is aimed at older audiences for?

And about Chibi Maruko Chan, I wasn't aware of Crunchyroll simulcast streaming that show until you just told me, I checked and to my surprise, you're right. Thanks for that information.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Nipasu wrote:

I've also encountered other kids anime on CR, so why would CR be picking this up if CR is aimed at older audiences for?

Because they also appeal to the older audiences, too.
light turner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Also worth pointing out Pretty Cure only started getting a simulcast after the failure of Glitter Force. They tried to market it to kids here first and when it didn't pan out they went for the sub treatment.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
Also worth pointing out Pretty Cure only started getting a simulcast after the failure of Glitter Force. They tried to market it to kids here first and when it didn't pan out they went for the sub treatment.

The last Gf dub came out in 2017.

Crunchyroll started simulcasting the newest season (Healin Good back then) in June 2020---the week it returned from hiatus.
Vizo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'm so on the fence on whether I should watch this. The original anime's ending is fitting and a good jumping off point. I like how they mixed up the gym challenges for gen 7 and 8. How does Horizons compare?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:

Because they also appeal to the older audiences, too.

Then how are you so sure that older audiences are watching Pretty Cure? Do you have proof, how are you so sure kids could be also watching Pretty Cure too? How are you so sure of this since you don't have any data or information that back up your statements?

I'm not sure if I should accept whatever statements (or opinions) that you just told me.

light turner wrote:

Nipasu wrote:
The last Gf dub came out in 2017.

Crunchyroll started simulcasting the newest season (Healin Good back then) in June 2020---the week it returned from hiatus.

I think this is around the same time younger kids have probably already started to watch anime in subtitled form (my niece when she was 8 years old can validate my observations). I mean at that same time My Hero Academia already gained traction in the US amongst both older audiences and younger kids (the latter which is probably the majority of MHA's audiences), and I have to assume the younger kids were probably watching MHA in subtitled format before it got dubbed in English. So we don't know how big the 8-10 years old demographic in the US that are probably watching anime in subtitled format already given that there are 8-10 years old kids with above-average reading skills/levels.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
We're getting a bit off-topic here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3