• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Solty Rei DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Kefka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Himalayus wrote:
In reply to Lord Kefka:

Being me (and not you) I have to base my review off my own impressions. This includes the fact that I have not seen the rest of the series. I can only comment on what I have seen, not on the infinite narrative possibilities that may follow. That would be silly now, wouldn’t it? As to putting a disclaimer on the review that “this show has potential”: There needs to be some sign in the episodes being reviewed of that potential. If there isn’t (and Solty Rei had no such indications in the first volume), then a disclaimer would simply be speculation that “maybe it’ll get better.” That’s silly, because it could just as easily get worse or stay exactly the same. Such unfounded speculation would be unprofessional and ultimately pointless, because if my impression proves to apply only to the first volume, then that impression will be corrected in future reviews (when no wild guesses are needed).

I must also emphatically state that a review of a single volume, especially a first volume (and with the possible exception of final volume reviews), is always a review of that specific volume, not the series as a whole.

This isn’t a difficult distinction to make, and yet you assume that, while you yourself are able to make it, readers of this site will be incapable of doing the same. This kind of implicit arrogance is a pet peeve of mine. Why not give people a little credit? The people reading the review aren’t automatons, they’re people just like yourself, with comparable critical reasoning capacities and decision-making capabilities.

The problem is that there is no speculation to begin with which is why it would be good for the reviewer of the DVD to actually know what will happen and how things will change in the next whatever episode numbers. So therefore, if the reviewer has not seen past the first DVD or the first 6 episodes, then there should be some kind of speculation and an outlook. At most, what one can hope to see in the Anime as it progresses.

You need to realize while vol 1 has episodes 1-6, vol 2 has 7-10 or whatever, that they are all connected. If all you're going to do is judge each DVD by itself without reflecting upon the past or previous and the whole picture in general, at what point DO you connect the dots? I can have a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle and put only 100 of the pieces put together. And it could look like crap. Maybe it's the edges of the whole picture of that jigsaw puzzle? Maybe it's part of an emptiness. But you have to go back and remember there is still a whole picture beyond just the thing that you have seen. Maybe it'll get better looking, maybe not. but to not assume that and to make a judgement that SOUNDS SO OBJECTIVE with just a little part of it seen gives the whole picture a negative attitude almost like a "what the hell can I expect from this crap".

Another thing which makes individual DVD rating so hard is the fact that how can a vol. represent the Anime as a whole? Say vol 1 started out really good and so does vol 2 for so and so Anime. But if vol 3 happens to have a slow down, it is fair to judge that the Anime will be slow for the rest of the way? What if it's just a point where the plot is being set up for the next DVD?

And I don't think arrogance is the word to use for me. What I am most concerned about is because of the lack expectations of what future DVDs can offer, it just wouldn't be fair for the Anime as a whole as well as the people who read the review (especially one that sounds to certain).

I'm just using this as an example. Notice I have mentioned that this can apply BOTh ways in the case of Coyote Ragtime ie. vol 1 was so awesome but the series could turn out to be crap.

I don't think people are idiots who are so tuned into listening to other people's opinions based on a review, that they do have a mind of their own. But reviews do reflect how one might have a take on the Anime. Remember, this is a DVD we are buying and talking about not advocating to download it so people DO consider the opinions of others (especially a review) as a way to determine whether a DVD is worth the money.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You need to realize while vol 1 has episodes 1-6, vol 2 has 7-10 or whatever, that they are all connected.

This is a review of volume 1 and volume 1 only. What you mentioned above goes without saying and pretty much everyone who reads these reviews takes that in to consideration. These aren't series reviews however, it's a review of the content on DVD 1 and that DVD only. You can look up many series and find that many DVD's are reviewed individually and some do poorly while others do well, all for the same series.

I don't think people need to be told there's still some potential because most people know that without being told. It's the first 6 episodes, it's not the entire series, anyone who doesn't get that probably deserves to miss out on the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Kefka wrote:
The problem is that there is no speculation to begin with which is why it would be good for the reviewer of the DVD to actually know what will happen and how things will change in the next whatever episode numbers. So therefore, if the reviewer has not seen past the first DVD or the first 6 episodes, then there should be some kind of speculation and an outlook. At most, what one can hope to see in the Anime as it progresses.

But the point the rest of us have been trying to make here is that it's unfeasible and unprofessional to make wild, unsubstantiated speculation on how a series is going to progress. Karl didn't have a feeling based on the first six episodes (and lots of viewing experience) that the series wasn't going to continue to muddle on as it was, and I didn't, either, after watching out that volume.

And only reviewing series where we've already watched it out would massively limit the number of titles we could review (it would cut out 90% of mine). And it's uttely unfair to ask a reviewer to find out the gist of what's going to happen in the rest of the series before reviewing an early volume, since we don't like spoilers any more than the next fan.

Quote:
Another thing which makes individual DVD rating so hard is the fact that how can a vol. represent the Anime as a whole?

IT IS NOT INTENDED TO! (Geez, trying paying attention to what people are saying.)

I was going to comment on the rest of what you were saying, but frankly, you just sound like someone who's upset that a series you liked got dissed in a review but is trying to make it sound like your problem is with a bigger issue. What you're asking for is not reasonable nor feasible in most cases. If future volumes of Solty Rei are better (and I do hope so, as I've taken a liking to this one), then such fact will be duly noted by myself or another reviewer in the reviews for later volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangalore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure Solty Rei is a hackneyed patchwork of worn genre tropes, but that's what puts the "mindless" in "mindless entertainment"."

I can only speak for myself but that remark was actually what made me to watch Solty Rei now. It's nice entertainment, nothing special, nothing exhaustive but while not revolutionary it's wellmade.

I think later the reviewer said it is "very Gonzo". Again I took that as a good thing. I'm not always interested in watching deeply philosophical works or reading scientific papers so a nice and relaxing anime like Solty Rei is perfect and that's what the review pretty much told me with those remarks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2