• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Human Crossing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Rutilcaper wrote:
I'm almost pathetically addicted to human interest stories, and will read the most boring blogs on the ill conceived concept that I'm somehow adding another piece to the puzzle that will solve the great mystery of the "human condition". Given that, you would think I'd be a shoe in for the day-to-day drama of Human Crossing. But sadly, this just wasn't the case.

I am happy that an unpopular opinion expressed here has not affected anyone's opinion of the column. I can certainly understand everyone's differing opinions. I had the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" analogy occur to me at one point in my viewings myself. Some things click with some people and not others. Or perhaps I'm not as cynical as I describe myself. Regardless, I found it meaningful, and I hope at least one or two others will be able to get something out of it.

Anyway, next column will be one I've been saving up my thoughts on for many years. It's another, perhaps the definitive, rare experimental 80's MTV-influenced OAV. Please look forward to it!
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
Stupid post got lost due to a network timeout. Five years and I still haven't learned to copy these things somewhere else, THEN hit Preview. I think I said something like this:

I never liked US sitcoms since they seem to suggest that all of the problems of the world can be solved in under 30 minutes while allowing time for commercial breaks (which the hard-hitting and completely realistic documentary known as 24 proves is wrong...it actually takes a day's worth of torture and shooting people), and Human Crossing seems to embody that spirit. Stories like these feel like they'd fit right in on Lifetime, the Hallmark Channel, or as some afterschool special what with the simplistic characters and the beat-you-over-the-head approach to conveying the moral of the story, though perhaps Lifetime would be slightly less inclined to show a woman severely beating her kid (that's what MEN are for in the stuff they show!).

Switch over to the dub during that scene for REAL entertainment, unintentional though it may be. I understand that it's cheaper to dub things in Canada (and now Hong Kong, since we apparently didn't learn our lesson after Clash of the Bionoids), but the consistently lame overall output of Ocean Group over the years leads me to assume they accept Monopoly money as payment.

jsevakis wrote:
Anyway, next column will be one I've been saving up my thoughts on for many years. It's another, perhaps the definitive, rare experimental 80's MTV-influenced OAV. Please look forward to it!

All right, it's Bobby's Girl time!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

All right, it's Bobby's Girl time!

I love Bobby's Girl! I hope gets realsed soon by Anime Classic who are currently in the process fansubbing it.

I think jsevakis was referring to To-Y OVA though although i could be wrong.
bci110

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
Releases on March 12th.

According to TRSI, the Human Crossing Box Set release date was pushed back to April 17.

Anyway, I might give this a rental and see if it's to my liking. If so, and if TRSI has another Geneon sale in the works I most likely will purchase the singles instead of the boxset.
marklungo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
While I've never seen Human Crossing, it's certainly a show that I want to like. As much as I love anime, I also love the idea of an anime series without samurai, magical schoolgirls, giant robots or any of the other cliches. The reviews I've read on the net have been mixed, but people who like the show seem to like it a lot, and with the entire series available for $15 (thanks, Otaku0013!), I'll definitely have to check it out. And as for the English dub: the cast includes Richard Cox, Paul Dobson, Janyse Jaud and Scott McNeil, so it can't be all bad. Wink

The other aspect of Human Crossing that interests me is its obscurity. In an age where many anime episodes are posted on You Tube the day after they premiere in Japan, I couldn't find one HC clip. In an age when anime is sold around the world, according to HC's ANN entry, the only countries where the show has been distributed are Japan, America, Canada and France. Even though the series has an English dub, no one has released it in the UK or Australia/New Zealand AFAIK. I guess Human Crossing paid a price for its lack of samurai, magical schoolgirls and giant robots.
KocaKoala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
While I've never seen Human Crossing, it's certainly a show that I want to like. As much as I love anime, I also love the idea of an anime series without samurai, magical schoolgirls, giant robots or any of the other cliches.

Amen to that. It's nice to have something completely different now and then. Something that isn't so far out there. I haven't seen Human Crossing yet, but I'm working on it. Perhaps I'll have a more meaningful opinion then. For now I'll just say that I'm looking forward to it, and thankyou for another Buried Treasure. I always look forward to this ^^
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
During that massive Geneon sale last fall, I was wavering on whether to pick up this show or not. I ended up not doing so; at this point, I really wish that I did. I really enjoyed the Rumiko Takahashi Anthology, and Human Crossing seems to be in the same vein. If/when deep discount puts out another one of their bi-annual supersales, I'll find a way to pick up the boxset.
marklungo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response, KocaKoala! Also, I forgot to mention another indicator of Human Crossing's obscurity: it has no Wikipedia entry.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
marklungo wrote:
Thanks for the response, KocaKoala! Also, I forgot to mention another indicator of Human Crossing's obscurity: it has no Wikipedia entry.

Ummm.... that is not entirely correct, though I do understand what you meant to say.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marklungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
marklungo wrote:

Ummm.... that is not entirely correct, though I do understand what you meant to say.

- abunai

Thanks, Abunai! Allow me to correct myself: Human Crossing has no English language Wikipedia entry.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point this out if there are people who really want this series still and haven't bought it yet, Rightstuf has the entire series on sale for $35.98, plus you can take off 35% and an additional 10% if you got anime.
marklungo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Check out Geneon's official page for the Human Crossing box here, because it includes a brief quote from Justin's review. Congratulations, Justin!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2