• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood+ (TV) (Dub, adult swim).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
It gets much better around episode 20. The "compelling, tragic, dramatic" stuff you mentioned is an excellent way to describe how the series progresses from there on. Personally, I'm a little iffy around episode 40-ish, but I think it'll work well with a U.S. audience. Actually, the series is has a pretty high emotional part around episode 9 as well (I think that's where it was).
I hope Sony decides to release the OSTs stateside along with the DVDs too (Hans Zimmer is The Man Anime hyper).

Blood for me was a roller coaster, I thought that it starts out pretty good, but then you really have to trudge through 10 episodes of buildup and then things get really excellent.....too bad things crash and burn at the end. But you overall the series has very pretty animation (some of openings look a bit rushed), very good music and a story that's either hit or miss.

And yes Han Zimmer is the man.....Anime hyper, <----- btw this emoticon is hilariously funny.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
Having never seen the movie I though it was pretty cool. How much would it help though if I saw the movie?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Having never seen the movie I though it was pretty cool. How much would it help though if I saw the movie?

None, really. Not only are the Blood+ and Blood: The Last Vampire continuities separate (to my knowledge), but the Blood movie didn't even add a whole lot to its own continuity. It was more like a sidestory to the main story being outlined in the novels, manga, and PS2 games, as opposed to any integral installment sporting some bold, new plot points. And Blood+ is a rather toned down retelling (as far as I know) of the original Blood: The Last Vampire franchise, so you don't really have to know one to understand the other.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
I think that my third time watching the first episode (once fansubbed on my own, once at anime club, and now on AS). Granted it's been about a year since then, but it was still my third time. Anyway, I got up to about episode 3 when I stopped downloading so I'm looking forward to later episodes.

The dub's decent, aside from some bad pronunciation, hopefully that gets fixed later. I like Kari as Saya, not too high but still sounds like a high schooler, and Crispin's just fine. Unfortunately they went a bit overboard with the French accent on Argeno.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Hisdon wrote:
what time slot is it in? after Bleach where Eureka 7 used to be?

It's took the place of Trinity Blood, aka the 12:30 time slot. Way pass my bedtime....I'm gettin old.

Nagisa wrote:
that, and more of Van Algerno (frickin'...Algernon, whatever his name is) and his unintentionally hilarious fake French accent. But then I guess that latter item would still be considered a bad thing,wouldn't it?

Oh my god that was completely embarrassing, I remember a month or so ago i was saying how I wanted the Le Chevalier Dub to have French accent.....I am so glad they don't in Hindsight.

Oh yeah did anyone else find it strange to see Sony Logo come up after the show ended, and on the ending is that the original ending song? I don't remember that one at all.....and I thought that I would remember that strange animation that went with it.

yeah that was the first ending song. the reason it might have seemed strange, is cause it's the one they used for the last episode also.

i agree with everyone who said Van Argeno's French accent is horrific. i almost burst out laughing during that whole scene.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The only real complaint I have about the dub is Saya's friend and Saya's father. Everyone else sounded fine. I love Kari Wahlgren and Crispin Freeman.!
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Ichigo77 wrote:

None, really. Not only are the Blood+ and Blood: The Last Vampire continuities separate (to my knowledge), but the Blood movie didn't even add a whole lot to its own continuity. It was more like a sidestory to the main story being outlined in the novels, manga, and PS2 games, as opposed to any integral installment sporting some bold, new plot points. And Blood+ is a rather toned down retelling (as far as I know) of the original Blood: The Last Vampire franchise, so you don't really have to know one to understand the other.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was guessing. I rented Blood: The Last Vampire back on thursday in anticipation of Blood+, and after watching both, I didn't really see the need to have to watch the movie.

The only thing that kind of (but not really) pisses me off about it is that I came up with the idea of the main character in my own manga series to carry his sword to school in a case to hide it away incase he needed to use it there just like how Saya carries hers in the movie LONG before I even knew what Blood: The Last Vampire even was. Mad Oh well, yet another idea I came up with not as original as I thought it would be. Sad
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks thats good to know.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode. (yeah I know it's been 4 days but I've been busy! And it has hooked me! I've gotta see why Crispin Freeman's character has that...hand. Does Saya save her brother? Why did Claw-boy (Haji?) cut open his hand and feed Saya blood?

Lots and lots of questions and I'm looking forward to finding out what the answers are! I don't usually like really gory stories (world's weakest stomach!) but I just might stick this one out and see how it goes. Besides, I do like Crispin Freeman... Very Happy
SakuraLover39701

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
Im nuts over anime &I caught the premier Episode too&it hooked me in too & i cant wait now until every Saturday night to watch it &see what happens to Saya i think she's so hot &pretty&im just crazy now over this series!!!!
bci110

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Watched Episode 2 last night. Basically it was an episode that set up more of the overall plot and some background on Saya's past, but at this point I like how everything it set up at a nice, even pace instead of being rushed. Not as bloody or violent as the premier episode, but still highly entertaining.

And Crispin Freeman's accent for Van Argeno in this episode sounded more Slavic than French in my view.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quick question: They spoiler[mentioned Vietnam. Which the war there was 40 years ago. Kai, on the other hand, used a small cell phone. Does the series take place "now"?]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Quick question: They spoiler[mentioned Vietnam. Which the war there was 40 years ago. Kai, on the other hand, used a small cell phone. Does the series take place "now"?]

Yes. spoiler[ All of Blood+ takes place in the present. The Vietman stuff is just a bunch of flashbacks in reference to Saya's past (and a little bit of David's, but it's not all that important from his perspective).]
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Yes. spoiler[ All of Blood+ takes place in the present. The Vietman stuff is just a bunch of flashbacks in reference to Saya's past (and a little bit of David's, but it's not all that important from his perspective).]

And really, it's not that important for Saya's past for a while either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

And really, it's not that important for Saya's past for a while either.

Okay, thanks guys. Much appreciated. I can handle waiting for the bigger series questions to be answered episode by episode. But it was that small nagging one that was bothering me. Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7