• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Awesome plot progression, CG was nicely added (though it looked as if this anime was used as a subject for experimentation of sorts). No comment on OP/ED since I skipped through them.

Ending was OK. I don't think they were clear enough on the whole process of the egg hatching (ie. spoiler[why La Lunga has to "eat" the egg, even though the cub's egg didn't get eaten at all]) so the interpretation I deduced could've been completely different from what they intended. Definitely not my favorite, but it was worth watching.

/At least it was in chronological order, unlike Baccano!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
I don't think they were clear enough on the whole process of the egg hatching (ie. spoiler[why La Lunga has to "eat" the egg, even though the cub's egg didn't get eaten at all]) so the interpretation I deduced could've been completely different from what they intended.

That may be a plot element for later books; after all, Guardian of the Sacred Spirit is only the first in a line of numerous novels (approaching the teens soon, I think?).

Speaking of, the first novel is set to come out in the summer of 2008. Amazon has it listed along with a cover (that looks more Japanese than the original). Can't wait for it.

Quote:
/At least it was in chronological order, unlike Baccano!

And that's a negative for Baccano! how?
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the anime version must be considered pretty unimportant if all it serves to do is make loose strings for the novel. And I didn't see any hint of a second season at the end.

As for chronological order, it's a matter of personal taste; I don't like it when events are not in chronological order. I had to watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for the same reason, but I can't really do that with Baccano!. Besides, what did Baccano! really gain by having the time frame so messed up, especially with the kind of ending it had? All I could think of at the end was, "did they really have to intentionally make it so chaotic to come to that conclusion?"

/*guns blazing* -> Isaac & Miria -> dead corpses reviving -> !?!?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:

Ending was OK. I don't think they were clear enough on the whole process of the egg hatching (ie. spoiler[why La Lunga has to "eat" the egg, even though the cub's egg didn't get eaten at all]) so the interpretation I deduced could've been completely different from what they intended. Definitely not my favorite, but it was worth watching.

First, it seems like your last post could have spoiler tags on Baccano =/ I haven't seen it so I'm not sure.

Anyway, to the quoted text, spoiler[they even remark while it's called an "egg eater" it doesn't actually eat the egg nor is it supposed to. It's in one of the last two or three episodes. When the cub died, the egg shot up and smashed on the ground. It was supposed to make it to dawn when the Nahji were flying by. Technically, if the cub HAD made it to dawn with the birds ready to take the egg, that could've been the birth of the new spirit right there.]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm enormously surprised by the lack of discussion in this series, as it is without a doubt, the needle in the haystack. To think, I had to discover this jewel of a series just by flipping through the top 50 instead of another source is disappointing. As previously mentioned, Guardian is lacking the credit it honestly deserves.

Each episode left me craving for more at the end; the story, wonderful animation, and strong appeal of the cast-it cannot be described in words. With only 350 some odd ratings and 2 pages of forum discussion, it looks like this is a series yet to be uncovered by a great many deal of people. Don't judge this one just by looking at its name, genre, or summary; watch the first 3 episodes and I'm sure you'll be hooked on this amazing series.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I'm enormously surprised by the lack of discussion in this series, as it is without a doubt, the needle in the haystack.

There are a lot of amazing series like this one that are missed by the general public. The talkative ones, at least. For me, it was a matter of catching up, and I just recently had the chance to marathon over half the series. I love Kamiyama and his gang over at I.G, and already two of their series (this one and SAC) are in my Top 5.

Kirkdawg wrote:
Each episode left me craving for more at the end; the story, wonderful animation, and strong appeal of the cast-it cannot be described in words.

That's probably the reason why there's no discussion -- each episode leaves you absolutely speechless! Very Happy

I'd be willing to discuss, though I haven't had the chance to finish it yet. Gah, I'm always behind everyone else! Anime cry

Can't wait for the novels, tho'...!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
demonroach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this anime yesterday. Nice animation and a great effort by the entire production staff is really noticed. Too bad 2 of the main characters are super deformed. You will get to know well the great buck tooth boy and huge head grandma. You will also find that everyone in this world just happens to not know anything about anything important....but if you can overlook that, its definitely a nice story, and one of the better ones to come out lately.

One thing to note is there is no fanservice anywhere in the entire anime, which actually gives the anime a sense of professionalism that is missed from most new Japanese animes.
3lectro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
i wonder why this anime isn't that popular as it should be , i think its story line was perfect ! really liked balsa's personality .

is there any possibility for a second season ?
demonroach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Balsa is definitely a cool female character, and the ending was (as it seemed) purposely left open for the possibility of another season.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:13 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
That's probably the reason why there's no discussion -- each episode leaves you absolutely speechless!

Well said!

And I think your late list is amazing. Some of the best shows of the year by far. I'm sure you'll have/have had a great time catching up!

3lectro wrote:
is there any possibility for a second season ?

The anime was about only the first book. There are, oh, more than ten books in the fantasy series by now I think.

I can't make a guess as to whether it will happen or not, but one thing is for sure: there are plenty of materials if they insist on doing so.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
And I think your late list is amazing. Some of the best shows of the year by far. I'm sure you'll have/have had a great time catching up!

Heh, I did technically start most of them when the shows first came out. But I was forced to fall behind in August and September when school started, and a little over the Summer because of work. I think the only one that I really "just started" was Mononoke.

I would love for a second season. I know nothing of the ending, but the more awesomeness the better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
demonroach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Azathrael wrote:
Well the anime version must be considered pretty unimportant if all it serves to do is make loose strings for the novel. And I didn't see any hint of a second season at the end.

The hint of a second season is that spoiler[Balsa is journeying home at the end rather than settling down with Tanda. I think the anime shows by that point that they both love each other, and even the prince hinted at it at the end, so the fact that she is on a journey during the last moments of the ending is a way of saying there is more adventure to come.] But whether or not its worth the $ to or not, who knows.[/spoiler]
rti9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I was quite curious about this thread because I wanted to have a glimpse of why people enjoyed this series so much. Although I didn't like it much, it is good to know that Ghibli isn't the only one who is trying to tell stories with female protagonists on a more serious tone.

What I don't like about Moribito is that almost all characters are a bit too virtuous. spoiler[Some examples are the coin game gamble organizers (this boy just ruined my "business" and humiliated me, but he won fair and square, kthnxbai), Saya's marriage arrangement (ooooh, she loves bugs bunny here, well, love wins everything, kthnxbai), and the Blue Hand (this woman meddled with my business before and I don't like her, but this time I'll help her, want my horse too? kthnxbai).]

Another thing that really bothered me were the palace scenes. I really wish the politics were handled less... virtuously. The young prince apparently has been possessed and becomes a threat to the royal family's image. OK. spoiler[Investigating a way to save the prince not only reveals that current history has been distorted by the leaders, it will clearly state that young Shuga was right all along while the head Star Diviner was wrong and nearly destroyed the current monarchy. The consequences of this? Not much. I'm not asking for an anime version of The Name of the Rose or Ran but trying a little harder wouldn't hurt.]

All this virtuosity make things end up right too conveniently on lots of occasions. At least to me, this hurts the proclaimed maturity of Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.

I really like Balsa as a character. I like her so much that I kinda wished that Chagum had never entered her life. spoiler[The climax of the anime to me wasn't the fight against the la Lungas, it was Balsa telling the story of her escape from Kanbal and her life with Jiguro. This leads me to believe that if there was no sacred spirit, just her life as she tries to make up for the eight lives she felt responsible for, I would have enjoyed this series much more.]

Who enjoyed Seirei no Moribito might be happy to check Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran too.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
All this virtuosity make things end up right too conveniently on lots of occasions. At least to me, this hurts the proclaimed maturity of Guardian of the Sacred Spirit.

That's mainly my problem with it as well, but I always keep in mind that the original novel is written for children (or at least geared towards younger readers) so there is very little adult material to be found and everything is pretty simplified/idealised (and so I found it VERY surprising how at one point Chagum suddenly asks Tanda out of the blue spoiler[why does he not sleep with Balsa ]Shocked [if the fansubber is to be trusted with the translation])

I did find some of the middle episodes about how Chagum is gradually adapting to village life a bit on the dreary side because of all the middle school morals they're trying to preach, and I find it ridiculous the incident where a bird cannot tell the difference between live frogs and stones thrown by people (it's all well and good to show Chagum's kindness and compassion for animals, but seriously!)

As far as the production qualities go though I'm terribly impressed. The designs are very detailed (and as far as background art is concerned, I have never seen such wonderfully drawn natural landscapes EVER, not even in Mushishi) and fit well with the setting, the Asian-styled music goes beautifully with the visuals (trust Kenji Kawai to get the job done), the picture quality is excellent and where there are fight scenes (most notably ep 3 and the last few eps) they are handled extremely well - very realistic and exciting to watch.

So overall I'd say that if the DVDs are ever released I'm all for buying. The great great visuals kind of outwheighs the sometimes shoddy story, IMO.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
nightmaregenie wrote:
I always keep in mind that the original novel is written for children (or at least geared towards younger readers) so there is very little adult material to be found and everything is pretty simplified/idealised ... The great great visuals kind of outwheighs the sometimes shoddy story, IMO.

I have no idea what audience it was originally aimed at, but being PG-13 doesn't mean it's a "children's story". If this was something aimed solely at kids, I would have expected considerably less palace intrigue.

Just because everything turns out well isn't a flaw in my book, sometimes things actually DO turn out nicely. If it is done in a manner consistent with the rest of the story, all the better. I know a lot of people (myself included) are drawn to anime because not every story ends up "happily ever after", but just because things do turn out well doesn't mean that it is either told poorly or is shallow. I personally thought the way Seirei was handled plot wise was among the better anime I've ever seen (and I'm a plot driven kind of guy).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3