• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Adds Transformers Preview, Posts Film List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If I wanted to watch a bastardization of a classic, I'd rather see the live-action Devilman. Anyway, I don't feel like paying 50 bucks entrance fee to catch a flick which I'll eventually be able to get on dvd in a few months.

The bar for tossing around the "classic" label seems to be getting lower for some. Wink The Transformers live-action might end up being only DVD rental-worthy, but to sniff your nose at it because it "bastardizes a classic"…episodic afternoon cartoon and comic book line made to sell toys with uneven art and even more uneven story... Abusing that phrase demeans real classics and bastards.

If all goes well, this movie will deliver much of what the animated series delivered: plenty of non-cerebral fun with transforming robots. People who expected more wouldn't be watching this movie, but they shouldn't have been watching the original show either.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Also, what kind of crap is that they only have limited seating for TK, but they don't have limits on the DN films?

The Death Note movies are each being shown three times for a total of over twelves hours. Even the Fullmetal Alchemist was shown only once last year. With that many Death Notes showings, they don't need limits.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
testor: While I admit that TF isn't exactly Masterpiece Theater, its longevity in our pop culture shows it's survived the test of time. And what I expected were robots with personalities, not robots who blow things up "real good". You can get the latter
type of action in other Bay films.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: While I admit that TF isn't exactly Masterpiece Theater, its longevity in our pop culture shows it's survived the test of time.

Longevity does not equal "classic." Longevity simply means the toys sell well. Transformers is fun, but it's been "bastardized" several times over in the original cartoon, the original comics, ...and frankly, the toys themselves--grabbing toys from a half-dozen companies and several storylines, erasing their background stories, turning some from hard-science-fiction war mecha to robots with "personality," shuffling almost all into two factions with easily identifiable good vs. evil, while claiming a truck robot is the same size as tape-player robot that both need disguises after they've already made the news for destroying oil rigs and dropping another planet in Earth's orbit .

Quote:
And what I expected were robots with personalities, not robots who blow things up "real good". You can get the latter type of action in other Bay films.

Transformers was and is loads of great fun--but the number of robots in any two hours of the cartoon that had more than one dimension can be counted with your fingers. There's a reason they didn't blow-up "real good." With a handful of movie exceptions, the cartoon had all the "classic" 1980s A-Team/G.I. Joe-style accuracy to realistic warfare of a Imperial Stormtrooper's rifle. It's silly to compare the Transformers cartoon as somehow a classic compared to a typical Michael Bay film--they're both cereal/popcorn fare with tons of merchandising. No amount of Orson Welles voice work changes that.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
testors:
Quote:

Longevity does not equal "classic." Longevity simply means the toys sell well.

Then by that logic, Star Wars and Gundam aren't classics.

Quote:
With a handful of movie exceptions, the cartoon had all the "classic" 1980s A-Team/G.I. Joe-style accuracy to realistic warfare of a Imperial Stormtrooper's rifle.

You can say the same thing about Starship Troopers.

Quote:
It's silly to compare the Transformers cartoon as somehow a classic compared to a typical Michael Bay film--they're both cereal/popcorn fare with tons of merchandising.

That might be the case, but few will find Michael Bay's films endearing 20 years from now. Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testors:
Quote:

Longevity does not equal "classic." Longevity simply means the toys sell well.

Then by that logic, Star Wars and Gundam aren't classics.

Actually, that's a syllogistic fallacy, which is not a logical extension of the premises. Wink Just because one or more aspects of two objects are the same doesn't automatically mean other aspects of those objects are the same.

Quote:
Quote:
With a handful of movie exceptions, the cartoon had all the "classic" 1980s A-Team/G.I. Joe-style accuracy to realistic warfare of a Imperial Stormtrooper's rifle.

You can say the same thing about Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers the Paul Verhoeven movie remake? Sure, I'll say that.

Quote:
Quote:
It's silly to compare the Transformers cartoon as somehow a classic compared to a typical Michael Bay film--they're both cereal/popcorn fare with tons of merchandising.

That might be the case, but few will find Michael Bay's films endearing 20 years from now. Rolling Eyes

Endearment does not equate classic either. Some people find pulp and camp "endearing." Wink

None of this takes away from how fun Transformers are. But to elevate it on a pedestal to knock something one hasn't even seen yet is just silly.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
testor:
Quote:
Just because one or more aspects of two objects are the same doesn't automatically mean other aspects of those objects are the same.

So you're suggesting that the Star Wars prequels and Gundam Wing are aesthetically superior to Transformers?
Rolling Eyes

Quote:

What exactly does realism have to do with whether or not something is considered a classic? We can't bring back the dead any more now than when Mary Shelley was doing it in Frankenstein, and yet no one denies that it's a classic.

Quote:
Endearment does not equate classic either. Some people find pulp and camp "endearing."

Again, I can use that Star Wars analogy to counter your argument.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor:
Quote:
Just because one or more aspects of two objects are the same doesn't automatically mean other aspects of those objects are the same.

So you're suggesting that the Star Wars prequels and Gundam Wing are aesthetically superior to Transformers?
Rolling Eyes

Another logical fallacy: Using a part of one whole to misrepresent a comparison with another whole. Smile

Quote:
Quote:

What exactly does realism have to do with whether or not something is considered a classic? We can't bring back the dead any more now than when Mary Shelley was doing it in Frankenstein, and yet no one denies that it's a classic.

Actually, you were the one who raised the dismissive "blow things up 'real good'" as if that was a definitive criteria. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Endearment does not equate classic either. Some people find pulp and camp "endearing."

Again, I can use that Star Wars analogy to counter your argument.

And again, you misuse a syllogistic fallacy. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote
testor: People who can't win arguments tend to pull out the fallacy cards to make their points.

Quote:
Another logical fallacy: Using a part of one whole to misrepresent a comparison with another whole.

It might be part of a whole, but it's a significant part of a whole which clearly undermines the appeal of the rest of the whole. Cool

Quote:
Actually, you were the one who raised the dismissive "blow things up 'real good'" as if that was a definitive criteria.

I'm not against that approach on a minimal or even moderate scale, but that's clearly a synopsis of Bay's work.

Quote:

And again, you misuse a syllogistic fallacy.

That's not true, since you can't separate Star Wars from its pulp and camp inspirations.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
Gatsu: people who cry technicalities in an internet argument about Transformers in hopes of 'winning' need to go outside more and stop worrying so much about something that's coming and going.

Can we go one Transformers movie thread without your inevitable 'oh teh hollywood peanut gallery" wankfest for once? Atleast till the 4th of july?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
testor: People who can't win arguments tend to pull out the fallacy cards to make their points.

Actually, people who can't win arguments pull out invalid fallacies. Other people simply point them out. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Another logical fallacy: Using a part of one whole to misrepresent a comparison with another whole.

It might be part of a whole, but it's a significant part of a whole which clearly undermines the appeal of the rest of the whole. Cool

You miss the point of why this is a logical fallacy. Smile Instead of comparing two wholes, you misleadingly chose the less regarded elements of one whole to compare against the whole of another (which has its own less regarded elements). That is a fundamentally biased comparison.

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, you were the one who raised the dismissive "blow things up 'real good'" as if that was a definitive criteria.

I'm not against that approach on a minimal or even moderate scale, but that's clearly a synopsis of Bay's work.

And again, that is no more a definitive criteria for dismissing something before it is seen, than the lack of that. That's not going to stop people, but both are tenuous.

Quote:
Quote:

And again, you misuse a syllogistic fallacy.

That's not true, since you can't separate Star Wars from its pulp and camp inspirations.

Again, you miss the point of why this is a logical fallacy. Smile It's possible for one object to have two characteristics and another object to have only one of the characteristics. The characteristics do not necessitate each other. The existence of the first object does not prove that the second object must have both characteristics.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Something Awful throws in their two cents on the film. Rolling Eyes Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Got this off TheMovieBox. IGN has more clips.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
You know, I can't wait to see that Transformers movie when it comes out. It's gonna be awesome.

GATSU wrote:
If I wanted to watch a bastardization of a classic, I'd rather see the live-action Devilman. Anyway, I don't feel like paying 50 bucks entrance fee to catch a flick which I'll eventually be able to get on dvd in a few months.

GATSU, I know how you are about Michael Bay's revamping Transformers but hey, you just gotta learn to deal with the new Transformers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that's what they said about the New Coke, too. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3