• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Family Honors Anime Fan Killed While Serving in Iraq

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yes, ANN got the info from a newspaper. But they didn't post it because of anime fan image issues. And I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted.

ONLY quote the relevant parts of a post. Take out the other stuff as its a waste of space and can make it difficult to figure out what is being addressed.

Well then what plausible reason is there to post it? An anime fan died? The guy's probably already had his name printed in a couple local newspapers and put up on the local television station, but since he's an anime fan it has to go up on here? Surely there were more important things to him than anime, but somehow that became the focus of the article? Again, shallow article, and an even more shallow news post here.

It's because of the unique way he was memorialized, not just because an anime fan died. I'm sure other anime fans have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, but none have been memorialized like this. That is the point and what makes this unique.

Quote:
All three of the things you said were related to the nature of the article and devoid of the fact that it was taken from a newspaper article ;p

What the hell does being taken from a newspaper article have to do with anything?
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
While yes I'm sure this is not the first anime fan KIA in Iraq, my heart still gos out to the family and his fellow soldiers. Whenever a soldier dies, I get more and more fed up. I just pray the soldiers can make it out alive without trauma. From a silly messed up war. It just always pains me to see that someone else has died.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
Too bad we'll be seeing anime fans killed in Iran in the near future, too...
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote
Another young life snuffed out over this whole ridiculous Iraq conflict. My heart really goes out to his family. Sent to a war they won't even admit to the reasons behind, forced to stay beyond agreed limits and then killed by an enemy that's not even easily identifiable.

I've never been a big fan of the military. People join of their own free will, but I imagine rarely find what they expected. I've had many friends that I have met while back in my anime store days who were part of the military and heard from several as they were being shipped out to Iraq, none happy with the prospect.

I really do wish they'd find a quick and reasonable solution for both parties and put an end to this before more innocent lives are swept up into the conflict and brought to an end on either side.

Does anyone else really detest those recruitment commercials they constantly bombard the tv and movie theaters with? I mean, who are they trying to kid anymore and why should we pay for these ads with our tax dollars?
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
First off, chilax man. If you're not able to keep your cool in a discussion then you probably shouldn't be taking part in it.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
babbo wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Yes, ANN got the info from a newspaper. But they didn't post it because of anime fan image issues. And I'm not sure what that has to do with what I posted.

ONLY quote the relevant parts of a post. Take out the other stuff as its a waste of space and can make it difficult to figure out what is being addressed.

Well then what plausible reason is there to post it? An anime fan died? The guy's probably already had his name printed in a couple local newspapers and put up on the local television station, but since he's an anime fan it has to go up on here? Surely there were more important things to him than anime, but somehow that became the focus of the article? Again, shallow article, and an even more shallow news post here.

It's because of the unique way he was memorialized, not just because an anime fan died. I'm sure other anime fans have died in Iraq and Afghanistan, but none have been memorialized like this. That is the point and what makes this unique.

And you know this how? Why should such a form memorialization be news? And take a look at the title it's saying that they're honoring an aime fan. If the specific form of memorialization was considered so important it undoubtedly would have been somewhere in there.

Quote:

Quote:
All three of the things you said were related to the nature of the article and devoid of the fact that it was taken from a newspaper article ;p

What the hell does being taken from a newspaper article have to do with anything?

What does it not have to do with it o,o?

You shot down MugenKenji's post on the basis of this being posted on anime news network.

Moogle-X wrote:

Does anyone else really detest those recruitment commercials they constantly bombard the tv and movie theaters with? I mean, who are they trying to kid anymore and why should we pay for these ads with our tax dollars?

We had a protest of recruitment at my college. Made a whole damn lot of sense to me. Why the heck should people spend four years of their life studying and paying thousands of dollars (or having the government and by proxy tax payers) and then go jump (or rather in some cases get tricked into) on a chance to get killed in Iraq?

DuelLadyS wrote:
babbo wrote:

Agreed. Why is this news worthy o,o?

It's sad that he died, but there's prolly more to the guy than the fact that he was an anime fan. Pretty shallow article imo <.<

*blink blink*

Solider dies.

Solider is anime fan enough that his family hung an anime figure from his memorial tree.

Someone from ANN happened to read the newpaper article, and put up a single paragraph on the website that will quickly be buried with newsbits about Japan's fall anime season.

Why in the world are you so bothered by it?

And don't start with a 'but there's more than one solider who watches anime' speech. I know. I have friends serving. I had family serving during Desert Storm- in fact, I was born and raised on a military base. If you know another fallen solider who loved anime and deserves a mention, by all means, tell ANN. Otherwise, leave those of us who do care about this stuff in peace.

Why aren't you bothered by it? Shouldn't all of our fallen soldiers be treated equally after their deaths? And yet since this guy was anime fan he gets special mention? Anime should have nothing to do why or how he gets mentioned, there are so many damn better reasons to remember a person for.

And quit it with the sentimentalist argument. Everyone knows someone who's served or is serving. Trying to win an argument by pulling on peoples heart strings is ten times worse than possibly hurting someone's feelings by speaking a rationalized argument.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Again, shallow article, and an even more shallow news post here.

I assume you think you're some kind of expert on journalism? Articles that are relevant to the readers (in this case, anime fans) are important, and this memorial was indeed special in that the family actually recognized the soldier's love for anime by hanging a figurine on a tree in his memory. I think it's adorable. It's also a great way to tie in anime news with world news. I'm sorry that it's not possible to report every anime fan's death in the war, but even so, not many families would recognize anime in their memorials.

Also, I agree with HitokiriShadow here, about the newspaper article. So what? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:43 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
babbo wrote:
Again, shallow article, and an even more shallow news post here.

I assume you think you're some kind of expert on journalism? Articles that are relevant to the readers (in this case, anime fans) are important, and this memorial was indeed special in that the family actually recognized the soldier's love for anime by hanging a figurine on a tree in his memory. I think it's adorable. It's also a great way to tie in anime news with world news. I'm sorry that it's not possible to report every anime fan's death in the war, but even so, not many families would recognize anime in their memorials.

Also, I agree with HitokiriShadow here, about the newspaper article. So what? Rolling Eyes

You don't have to be an expert in journalism to be outraged by something. Ever bothered reading the Op/Ed section in the news paper o,o?

*woosh* See that? That was my whole point flying completely over your head. I never said anything about reporting anime fans deaths, this is about soldiers deaths as a whole. For that matter people in general. There are plenty of better reasons things than anime fandom to be the reason why a person should get special mention.

The story itself might be great but there's no need for it to be posted along side an announcement on Code E's second season. The whole thing is blatantly out of place.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:

Why aren't you bothered by it? Shouldn't all of our fallen soldiers be treated equally after their deaths? And yet since this guy was anime fan he gets special mention? Anime should have nothing to do why or how he gets mentioned, there are so many damn better reasons to remember a person for.

Um, dude? This is an anime website. They can't exactly do a report on each and every soldier's death- this guy had an anime tie-in, and someone from ANN caught wind of it... so, yes, he does get "special mention", if you really think a paragraph on a website dealing with a small bit of America's subculture is so 'special'. It's not like the president is giving him a medal of honor for anime fandom, y'know.

This guy's family/ hometown/ fellow soliders will handle the 'better reasons' for rememberance... ANN is certainly allowed to post 5 lines on the part that relates to what ANN talks about. Or should ANN never talk about a solider's death ever becuase it's not fair to the guys who weren't anime fans?

babbo wrote:

Your jingoist self image issues about other anime fans can kiss the blackest part of my arse.
~~~~
First off, chilax man. If you're not able to keep your cool in a discussion then you probably shouldn't be taking part in it.

Pot calling the kettle black a lil' there? Well, in any case, I'm done with this.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
*woosh* See that? That was my whole point flying completely over your head.

What an annoying statement. I got your point about the article itself, so don't assume that I didn't. I just happen to disagree.

babbo wrote:
I never said anything about reporting anime fans deaths, this is about soldiers deaths as a whole. For that matter people in general. There are plenty of better reasons things than anime fandom to be the reason why a person should get special mention.

I'm saying that it should be posted because it's new and interesting vs. "look at this new anime, here." Besides, this site isn't about people in general, just anime fans. We see enough soldiers' names other places, and it would only make sense that this anime fan is mentioned because of the "Family Honors..." part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
Moogle-X wrote:
I've never been a big fan of the military. People join of their own free will, but I imagine rarely find what they expected.

This is espically true of my friend.

When the army recruiter came around, he had hopefuls take a "placement test" as to what they would be good at, and where they would be stationed.

My friend's results said that he would be best suited for Intelligence and would be stationed in either Japan or South Korea. Being a rabid anime fan, so he signed up.

But after he signed, they gave him another test completely different than the first, with a very different result.

He ended up being stuck in helicoptor repair (as well as the odd guard duty & inventory taking job), spent 1 year in Afghanistan, is currently stationed in Alaska, and is being shipped to Iraq next summer.

Hardly the Intelligence job in Japan/Korea that he had set his heart on when he signed on the dotted line.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:

This guy's family/ hometown/ fellow soliders will handle the 'better reasons' for rememberance... ANN is certainly allowed to post 5 lines on the part that relates to what ANN talks about. Or should ANN never talk about a solider's death ever becuase it's not fair to the guys who weren't anime fans?

People making a stink about the article don't really have any coherent editorial complaint, it's just a convenient point to jump off into the usual OT cranky-Left soapbox complaints. When arguments are proffered in bad faith like that, just let them go. Responding only gives people more chances to wax about their pet bugaboos.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
Any of you ever considered the reason most soldiers are not remembered in such manner, is that many prefer more traditional burials and many of the families keep most of these things private.

Yes there are many Anime fans in the service, I was one of them. I served for 10 years and have 2 deployments to hostile environments under my belt (Bosnia and Afghanistan).

Bottom line, the family wanted to remember him for something he enjoyed and loved, and to let it touch those who share a similar interest and joy in life (Anime). There is nothing more to it.

Keep your opinions of what you think is right and wrong with the war to yourself, this thread and the article formed from it are a reminder of those who serve, and those who make the ultimate sacrifice. If you choose to remember, take a moment of silence, or just to remember and honor this soldier then do so. If your opening your mouth about things you have personally never experienced then keep your mouth shut, you dishonor not only this soldier but many others with your back handed comments and lack of tact for things you don't have a clue about.

All life is important, and it is a tragic loss to see any fall. Personally I thank ANN for this, people seem to forget about those who serve, and that regardless of who they are, they are people too.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
From the article at the end:
Quote:
As Neff's mother, Nancy, decorated the tree, Rice told the soldier's family members how he had a sticker of the same anime figure plastered on his vehicle in Iraq.

"He kept saying 'Hopefully, it will spook people.' But I told him ain't no one going to be afraid of a cartoon," Rice told the Neffs, who laughed in response.

I wonder what it was.

I've seen and heard anime fans in the U.S. Army. It's nothing new or unheard of, but still pretty interesting.
One I remember liked Card Captor Sakura.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah...I don't find it really that news worthy either. At least not on this site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe George Bush should watch a little anime and learn that the only thing that comes from war is Death and saddness.

May this Soldier be in peace and let us all pray that there will be an end to this soon and no more of friends and family must die.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5