• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blending In

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
buuuut I might try the anime...if only because it was directed by Nabeshin. That has to count for something.

??? Shocked

I didn't know that.

I wasn't even considering this anime, but now I might give it a look.

What's even more amazing is the budget. He barely had any budget to work with so he had to get....creative....with the show. So you'll see a lot of inexpensive tricks used to save money with the animation. The thing is Nabeshin still makes it work and still makes the show funny regardless. Plus the 4 guys just seem so over the top that they're funny to watch in themselves.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When the boys' landlord tells them that her cousin is moving in, they're issued an interesting challenge: if they can transform her into a classy lady

Sunako's the landlord's niece. At least on the manga she is. Did they change it in the anime?[/quote]
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Welcome to this week's Shelf Life, which is coming to you from NYAF. It's bitterly cold, but the (removed to prevent my stomach from churning again)?

Creepy ... very, very creepy.

*fourths* on maybe giving Wallflowers a shot if it crosses my path.

Well, now that Air is out we should be able to get a decent box set deal for the coming holidays.
holy`bell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that the Wallflower DVD is a self-worthy title. I guess you have to be a person that either hates it or loves it. In my view, I would put it up as a rental one. I'm one of those people who didn't like the anime that much. Like sunflower said:

sunflower wrote:
But I thought Wallflower was trying too hard to be funny and clever and failing at both. I didn't like the animation style either.

I've gave up watching the anime series around episode 8. Not sure about the manga though.
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Having read the Top Cow comics that sounds like Witchblade. Although granted, you could argue that there's more depth in the comics, but... there's not. It's all about seeing the main character half-naked, sheathed in metal, beating up the bad guys. Only with a little more melodrama in it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Quote:
When the boys' landlord tells them that her cousin is moving in, they're issued an interesting challenge: if they can transform her into a classy lady

Sunako's the landlord's niece. At least on the manga she is. Did they change it in the anime?
[/quote]

Er, no. I messed up.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
My friend reads the Wallflower manga and enjoys it, so I'm willing to give the anime a try, but the art looks pretty awful. Are those guys supposed to be bishie, cause they fail. Crying or Very sad
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
My friend reads the Wallflower manga and enjoys it, so I'm willing to give the anime a try, but the art looks pretty awful. Are those guys supposed to be bishie, cause they fail. Crying or Very sad

Yeah, I like the manga art just fine, but the anime art looks a bit weird. Even Chris Beveridge at AoDVD said the art didn't translate over that great for the anime and it took him the whole disc to get used to it.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I can't seem to find Witchblade2 at BB. I saw 3, and singles of 1 and the art box but no two.

They may be out; a week ago on Dec. 4 in San Antonio, TX, I saw what you saw, plus there was 1 or 2 Vol. 2's left. I hope Best Buy isn't getting small supplies of Witchblade because they think it's a small niche title. Try Circuit City & maybe F.Y.E. Hopefully you don't have to buy the box set to get missing volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Masamune was Japan's greatest sword smith. Swords that he has made are called "Masamune" as well. It's so famous that, stereotypically in an RPG video game, the "Masamune" is the name of the ultimate sword weapon a character can get. Apparently since she is the witch of Blades, it's an appropriate nickname for her.

Of course, I'm saying this anime-unseen since gore and orgasms don't mix for me, but I find this a little more likely than simply another boob pun. I think it's a sword joke with a tiny little boob pun maybe snuck in the back.

Thanks for the trivia; it's interesting. IMHO, the Japanese is making a sword joke as well as a boob joke. Here's a quote from the Witchblade Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchblade_%28anime%29):
Yuusuke Tozawa (斗沢 祐介, Tōzawa Yūsuke?) age 26
Voiced by: Masaya Matsukaze (Japanese), Robert McCollum (English)
Yuusuke Tozawa is a free-lance photographer. From past experiences, he prefers to use regular cameras rather than digital cameras. He first becomes interested in the number of serial murders taking place in the city and investigates the matter, which leads him to the Witchblade. Tozawa then continues his investigations, but this time, to find out who or what the "Witchblade" is. He is among the first ones to nickname Masane "Masamune", referring to her huge chest ("masa-mune" meaning "undefeatable breasts"). This is carried over in the anime, to the point that Tozawa only refers to Masane with this nickname.
In the English dub, they skip the sword joke & go right to the boob joke; "Masamune" becomes "Melonie" (Melon-E).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
Quote:

Sunako's the landlord's niece. At least on the manga she is. Did they change it in the anime?

Er, no. I messed up.[/quote]Ah..I see. I thought they changed it in the english release. But yeah...You fixed it. Great job on the reviews by the way. Very Happy
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
The Wallflower got a shelf-worthy? Excellent, but unexpected.

To be honest, I love that series to pieces. My only problem with it is that the budget really shows in the animation, and it really hurts rewatchability (and for some, it may be enough to put them off from watching in the first place). But then, it IS pretty funny, so that kinda evens it all out.
velocet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:16 am Reply with quote
I enjoy the Wallflower manga, but I really couldn't enjoy the anime. I'd struggle to even recommend it for rent, let alone purchase.

I just felt the format made repeated jokes more tired more quickly than it did in reading, as it's far easier to skim over another nosebleed gag than it is to fast forward past it when you don't know how long the gag is going on for. The constant 'goth-goth-loli-loli' gag also totally did my head in.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
He is among the first ones to nickname Masane "Masamune", referring to her huge chest ("masa-mune" meaning "undefeatable breasts"). This is carried over in the anime, to the point that Tozawa only refers to Masane with this nickname.
In the English dub, they skip the sword joke & go right to the boob joke; "Masamune" becomes "Melonie" (Melon-E).

There are a bunch of liberties in the sub for Witchblade so I'm not surprised at the lack of the double pun, or the fact that they translate Masa as massive instead of undefeatable which sounds right to me. As I mention in the music forum I think they also goofed in the first line of the OP song. I was also sad that they translated in volume 2 the term tanuki into something else which I can't remember at the moment. Although I have less issues with the translation than Funimations Suzuka there are at least a dozen points on the DVD where I raised an eyebrow.

I enjoyed Air volumes two and three despite my early skepticism. I just finished watching the Movie and was a bit disappointed though.
CrystalFragments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
who ever said that the girl from wallflower resembled the girl from the ring has really got thier horror movies backwards because it was the grudge that she resembles and quite intentionally actually!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3