• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niconico Streams Shana III, Future Diary, Haganai, C3, Maken-Ki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyW88

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I fully expect funimation to license all those titles, Boku wa tomodachi ga sunkanai I will buy that in a heart beat....
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
And besides, all these simulcast streaming titles that Funi's been having the past year or so, how many of them have been released yet on DVD/Bluray?

Almost all of them? I think the only ones not being released (in the US at least) are Tatami Galaxy, Rainbow, and House of Five Leaves.

Funi's included them in polls about dvd/bluray releases, so I assume we'll see them at some point. They have a large stockpile of licenses since they announce further ahead than others. I do hope they make their way out in Spring 2012....

The NicoNico deal sounds pretty keen so far, off to read Chris's editorial on it...
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Still don't understand why Funi snaps up titles like Shana and DOESNT DO ANYTHING WITH THEM. It's like they just license them so nobody else can.

Shana II, Index and Railgun apparently had less to do with Funimation sitting and the licenses and less to do with Geneon Universal in Japan not getting the materials to them in a timely fashion. As I understand, these were delivered only recently.

Reibooi wrote:

I see no reason why Geneon would send materials to a newer show right away and not older shows. Chances are funi would have to wait on both seasons until Geneon gets their stuff together over in Japan. But again this assumes Geneon is the licensor or not. Either way if they end up having the rights to II and III i doubt they would release III before II.

Apparently Geneon Universal finally got around to delivering the materials to the licensed shows to Funimation relatively recently, so hopefully this is now mostly irrelevant.

This new venture would effectively assure the materials would be available right away, as they would need to be provided to Funico for the simulcast.

I do agree Funimation would not release Shana III before Shana II, but if they had the materials for the later series first, they could start working on it, and when Shana II was received and completed, release both simultaneously.

At least this venture makes it very likely we will see a simulcast of Zero no Tsukaima F in January.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
This new venture would effectively assure the materials would be available right away, as they would need to be provided to Funico for the simulcast.

Only if you want the broadcast version on the discs. The materials needed for simulcasts are also different - no need for separate music and effects tracks which are a requirement for dubbing etc.

Quote:
At least this venture makes it very likely we will see a simulcast of Zero no Tsukaima F in January.

Considering they've dropped the original series...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Only if you want the broadcast version on the discs. The materials needed for simulcasts are also different - no need for separate music and effects tracks which are a requirement for dubbing etc.

Hmm...good point.

OTOH, with Shana II, Index, and Railgun, Funimation couldn't even stream subtitled versions if they had wanted to. (Speaking of which, I wonder if they will be doing that before the DVD release)?

Quote:
Considering they've dropped the original series...

You have to consider we are talking about Funico here. Funimation may have dropped The Familiar of Zero, but Nico Nico Douga has some history of simulcasting Geneon Universal titles.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
You have to consider we are talking about Funico here. Funimation may have dropped The Familiar of Zero, but Nico Nico Douga has some history of simulcasting Geneon Universal titles.

I still don't see why this announcement makes it more likely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
They haven't released many of the titles they got from Geneon and it's not Funi's fault. Geneon is doing some kind of merger in Japan with another company and is not sending the materials to Funi and they can't work on something they don't have the materials to. This is the case for Shana II OVA's, Movie, Index, Railgun, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon OVA, Lain and many more. Funi would have more then likely had a good portion of those titles released had Geneon been sending them the materials needed to get started but they haven't and FUni can't be blamed for that.

On topic. I kinda wonder what this even means. What exactly is the benefit for them doing licenses for streaming this way? Just lower cost? Will there be a better chance we will see these simulcasts get full licenses?

Ah. I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know!

On topic: That's what I'm hoping, both the lower costs for FUNi and the higher possibility of "full licenses" for the consumers.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder dose that mean funimation will stop streaming from there site of the shows they stream now? also i have the season one box set of Shana and would pick up season 2 and three when released as well as the OVA.

railgun and index need releases as well.

both are good animes.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... while you guys cheer, the fans outside of America and Canada weep. (TT.TT)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Sigh... while you guys cheer, the fans outside of America and Canada weep. (TT.TT)

I would rather watch Gundam Age than any of these series.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:52 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

I still don't see why this announcement makes it more likely.

1. NicoNico.com did not simulcast anime before Summer 2011. (The site itself apparently launched in April).

2. No Geneon series had been simulcast in the United States since Geneon USA existed, and no new Geneon series have streamed later since that time, even after being licensed.

3. NicoNico.com announces streaming of a Geneon Universal title (which is why this announcement makes it more likely).

Basically, based on precedent, the odds of a Geneon series being simulcast before were virtually zero, and the odds are now significantly more than zero, thus "more likely".

If it doesn't happen come January, feel free to come back and say, "Told you so".
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:20 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

2. No Geneon series had been simulcast in the United States since Geneon USA existed, and no new Geneon series have streamed later since that time, even after being licensed.

Laughing
Do you just really like the idea of selective memory or do you really not pay attention much to what gets licensed and simulcasted?

High School of the Dead is a GU series.
Sentai/TAN also simulcasted it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

Laughing
Do you just really like the idea of selective memory or do you really not pay attention much to what gets licensed and simulcasted?

High School of the Dead is a GU series.
Sentai/TAN also simulcasted it.

True, but don't forget that they licensed that series through Showgate. So even if Geneon wanted to hold up the materials, they wouldn't have been able to.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Basically, based on precedent, the odds of a Geneon series being simulcast before were virtually zero, and the odds are now significantly more than zero, thus "more likely".

As far as the Japanese production side goes, Familiar of Zero isn't a Geneon series to begin with, though. The Japanese Wikipedia entry lists the members of the production committee, and Geneon isn't on it (rather, it's Media Factory, Shochiku, and Genco)
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

True, but don't forget that they licensed that series through Showgate. So even if Geneon wanted to hold up the materials, they wouldn't have been able to.

That doesn't make any less of a GU series.
I was merely pointing out the flaw in his absolute.

It is a GU seres.
And it did get a simulcast in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3