• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funico - What Does it Mean?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think this is a step in the right direction. It allows both Niconico and Funimation to focus on their core businesses, while at the same time benefiting from their joint venture. More titles will be available for streaming sooner,which should satisfy those of the anime fan population that want to watch anime relatively quickly after airing in Japan. Funimation will be able to better gauge which titles to release in DVD and/or BD format from a greater title selection, for those of us who like add to our collections. As Chris has already mentioned, Niconico will need to improve the technical aspects of their streaming capabilities to better the viewing experience, and as soon as possible, but I'm sure that's achievable. It will be interesting to see how the future plays out.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Really the primary this I hope comes of this is the ability for Funimation to put out more anime on dvd/bluray. They are certainly my personal favorite (with quality everything really), and I would love if they licensed more.

I am still waiting for them to release a set of Shakugan no Shana (according to wikipedia they are suppose to release one this year), and I would love if it were on bluray.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me that VIZ Media and Crunchyroll signing a similar agreement would make sense, since CR has Naruto simulcast and several other VIZ manga titles.

I wonder if this is going to affect the amount of anime available on hulu, though. I just signed up for hulu plus and have really been enjoying watching it streamed to my TV via PS3. I'm guessing NicoNico won't have similar stream-to-PS3 functionality for a long while, if ever. So here's hoping hulu won't lose its anime selection...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is in fine shape if stuff like Naruto, Bleach, Panty & Stocking, Blue Exorcist, Fairy Tail, HanaSaku Iroha, Working 2, Steins;Gate, School Days, Hayate no Gotoku S2, Usagi Drop, Squid Girl, Fate Zero, Sket Dance, Hitman Reborn and basically everything in their archives are the only type of table scrap anime that they'll be able to get.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder if that will immediately close the door on other US companies licensing a Funico series.

If not, I wonder if not getting picked up by Funi will be the death knell for a US release of a Funico title? Funi would have access to all of the data needed to make an informed yes/no on a US release. Funico titles are practically thrown at Funi by default and if they pass on it, it must have tanked pretty hard. I wonder how many other companies would want to jump on a failure like that?

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Between this editorial and the official announcement, there's quite a bit of information missing.

What impact will this merger have on future streams by Netflix and ANN? Surely we can't sit and pretend these won't be affected. I can not see NicoNico giving any competition an advantage, especially when Netflix is the other 900lb gorilla in the room.

My opinion now:
Something stinks about this merger.

I just can not believe a website famous for its buffering messages and fan depreciation of features is going to be used to gauge interest in a series.

Baffling, this news.

No matter. As long as season streams are unaffected, so am I.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
No benefit to me what so ever.

Oh well. I'll just continue ignoring all the 'good' stuff that I can't watch and continue viewing all my anime of crunchyroll and anime on demand.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Extremely interesting and informative article. I will be sad if, as predicted, this news ends up being bad for CR. I've become quite fond of the site over the past few years whereas my attempt to watch Blood-C through Nico left me cold. Here's hoping they do improve their online player ... drastically.

I wonder why Funi decided to pair with Nico instead of Crunchyroll?
TD912

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I also am sad about the attitude Funi has about licensing Crunchyroll streaming shows. Most notably Natsume Yuujincho. I still have hopes that someone like S23, NIS, or Nozomi will pick it up. Funi's attitude about it actually kind of pisses me off, and makes me even more hesitant to support them with DVD purchases.

That wasn't necessarily Funi's actual attitude about it, that was a prediction made by the author of the article.
Quote:
This is a prediction, but I fully expect Funico to tell licensors “We're very unlikely to license a title for video if it streams on Crunchyroll.”

Funimation licensed Fairy Tail, and pretty recently Asobi ni Ikuyo aka "Cat Planet Cuties", and some other titles which have been streaming on Cruchyroll.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
This is good news to me for two reasons:

About a year ago I decided never to buy another DVD/Blu-Ray that was sub-only. Why pay for the discs when they don't offer anything more than what I can view online (even if it requires a paid subscription).

The other reason is now the fans, like me, have a greater say in what Funi dubs simply by what we make popular on Nico. Hopefully this doesn't slow down the dubbing process though. Plus, if they can focus all of their resources on dubbing now maybe we can see more frequent releases from them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Great. I spend over a year waiting for Funimation to get it together and provide some decent streams and finally, just when they do launch a new, decent video player, they turn around and decide to put all their simulcasts on a different site, famous for its questionable quality.

Sorry. I'm just tired of waiting for these guys to get their ducks in a row. I'll happily support them when they do but in the mean time I'm going with fansubs.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Ya until NicoNico lets me view their videos in full screen mode I'll continue watching stuff on CR and downloading fansubs. This is a step back. Until NicoNico can get their shit together this is bad for the anime industry.

Also NicoNico is a Japanese company. Be ready to have the JP business model forced on you. As in paying out the ass for table scraps.

What a crappy day for anime fans.
I'm hoping something goes haywire in the management of this and it falls apart in a flaming dung heap of confusion. Things like this have happened before with seemingly good ideas, and it's just mismanaged and the two interested parties can't get their objectives straightened out. Seems like some complex things need to be worked out, that typically goes south with a little miscommunication and not being up-front with every detail.

I'll just continue being a SUCKimation streams freeloader and a loyal CR subscriber as long as I can.
Blood- wrote:
I wonder why Funi decided to pair with Nico instead of Crunchyroll?
Probably because Funi felt that CR drew profits away from their fanbase being the headliner subscription-based streaming only company. I think the only way Funi would offer CR a "lucrative" deal to team up, it would have to resemble a corporate takeover more than a partnership, being the fascist pigs that they are. And since NicoNico was poised to directly compete with Crunchyroll, I guess the Funico thing was a match made in heaven. They can both go to hell for all I care.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Being Australian, this doesn't effect me directly, however I believe it is part of a trend towards worldwide licensing, particularly for streaming product. I can see the day when Japanese anime producers provide subtitled product for worldwide release via an on-line platform with merchandising to follow. TV broadcasts and DVD / BD sales will decline. From a consumer's perspective I think, on balance, this is a good thing.

In the four years I've been an anime fan, I am impressed by how my opportunities for watching quality, legal product on-line have steadily grown. It has got to the stage where I'm being limited by my data cap with my ISP and where I can now be choosy about what I watch. Again, this is a good thing.

In this particular instance, while NicoNico isn't all that impressive I have faith in Funimation's desire to provide a quality service or product. As such they will surely push NicoNico to lift their game. Yet another good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oh, reading the whole thing, this does seem like good news to a physical media die-hard like me who's uninterested in streaming, if it means titles that go to "Funico" instead of Crunchyroll will be much more likely to also get licensed for physical media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I suppose in the meantime this is bad for me (an Australian fan)? Crunchyroll is basically my only source of legal streams, and the best one (sorry Siren/ANN but your streams can be pretty painful at times) at that. If this (NA only) merger is going to take away potential streaming licenses from Crunchyroll then I'm going to be a sad panda. Their line up this season is just so awesome and it's sad to think this might be the last time they boast such a range of simulcasts.

But then the editorial DOES say NicoNico plans to become "international". Wonder how long we have to wait for that to happen though. Considering that it seems they have lots of issues with their player to fix first... And the the inevitable messing about with subscription models...

But overall this is probably a good move for the R1 market.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only possible downside is needing to subscribe to two different websites, but even when NicoNico inevitably increases their prices, the combined cost of NicoNico and Crunchyroll will be about the same as a single reasonable DVD per season.

If NicoNico charges the same as Crunchyroll, that makes it about $120 per year if you pay for a year at a time. That is more than I consider reasonable for 1 series on DVD, unless you were talking about the monthly price, in which case it is much cheaper than most Anime DVDs.

NicoNico's interface is hideous! I don't care about the comments, as I always turn them off. (Though I have been known to drop a snarky comment out there myself...) What is horrible is the lack of a real full screen mode and the fact that I always have to let the buffer grow for a few minutes before I watch the episode despite the fact that I have a 12 mbps connection and I almost never have any lag on Netflix, Crunchyroll at 720p, Crackle, or Hulu. That includes Netflix on the Wii, which is really poor in terms of buffering.

I stream everything. I don't get cable, so my Crunchyroll and Netflix subscriptions are my cable bill, so to speak. I have never paid for a subscription at TAN, mostly due to my displeasure at their "First one's free but the last one will cost you bad!" policy. I like that NicoNico has the first week free, but if they don't have a reasonably priced option to watch older episodes without paying a premium, I will not be happy to pay more then 25 cents for that crappy interface!

I think Crunchyroll should get together with the rest of the hard licensors (home video licensors) out there and make a deal with the lot of them, Viz, Media Blasters, and Bandai! They should also keep taking the titles that none of the hard licensors want. Gosick wasn't licensed until after it was a hit. It is one of my very favorite shows. Neither was Steins;Gate, another favorite. The same with So Ra No Wo To. Not to mention Otome Youkai Zakuro, which still has no license and is tied with Gosick for number 3 on my all time favorites list! These "scraps" sometimes contain true gems! I don't want them to be thrown away because none of the big dogs want them. They taste just fine to us little dogs!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8