• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
I feel like I just watched American Idol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
ok I agree totally with this though you forgot the biggest offender of them all, Pioneer back when Tenchi Muyo was there biggest title the OVA and Tenchi Universe all there songs were dubbed over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
ok I agree totally with this though you forgot the biggest offender of them all, Pioneer back when Tenchi Muyo was there biggest title the OVA and Tenchi Universe all there songs were dubbed over.

Hey! Not all of them were that bad. Anime cry The first TV series had a good opening redub.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

{MODERATION NOTE: I feel with you, man. I really do. But could you break off the screaming for a second and actually contribute something to the discussion? -- abunai}

Fair enough. Anime hyper

As about 90% of the posts I've contributed have made clear, I'm quite the avid dub fan. The numerous occasions I've made an ass out of myself over the subject only help to illustrate this point.

That being said, I have no problem with in-character singing being left in Japanese. Unless the actual lyrics have a bearing on the plot I really don't see the need. Even in such cases as Macross II what they're singing isn't nearly as important as the fact that they are singing. 90% of the time the situation isn't as important as say Beck, Haruhi, or Nerima Daikon, but rather a plug or just the standard karaoke-episode wacky hijnks. Most of the time you sit through 5 minutes of songtime and move on with the series.

Some say it's jarring to hear English vocals suddenly switch to Japanese when the singing starts but I feel this doesn't tend to be the case. 9 times out of ten the show is set in Japan and the viewer is aware that the characters are actually speaking Japanese while the English dialog is for the benefit of the viewer, a'la Memoirs of a Geisha It's really a matter of suspension of disbelief.

Dubbing a song is really one of the hardest parts of ADR. Not only do you [s]have[/s] like to have proper vocals for the part, but making the lipflap matches sound natural is hard enough without suddenly having the need to stay in melody and such. It really doesn't seem to be worth the effort for the most part

As for dubbing OP and EDs, I'm fine with that provided that the original song is kept on an alterate audio track. Most of the time it's nothing spectacular, but cases like For Fruits Basket really make it worth it.

And I would have killed for an English cover of Rewrite.

Anyway, I have to go back to screaming now.

*AHHHHHHHHHHHH~!*

-edit-

Fallout2man wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:

Hey! Not all of them were that bad. Anime cry The first TV series had a good opening redub.

Oh man. Tenchi. Did anyone else buy the English insert song CD? The idiocy of some of the lyrics literary sent shivers down my spine.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:39 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
except for Beck and Fruits Basket, most of Funimation's attempts are pretty damm bad...

This is sad since I think they are the best when it comes to redone songs. I actually really like the Kiddy Grade songs in both languages. I also think the Blue Gender English version songs were fairly well done, although I love Houko Kuwashima's (VA Marlene) versions of the songs better. Have I ever mentioned she's my favorite voice actor? Embarassed
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:07 am Reply with quote
Because of the very fact that dubs don't tend to dub over songs anymore was the very reason I was surprised that they decided to go that route with Haruhi. Wendee Lee did do a good job with it though, but she's still got nothing on Aya Hirano. As for FUNimation & their weird desire to dub most of their songs, I think they do a decent job for the most part.

areaseven wrote:
FYI, on the "Tendo Family Christmas Scramble" episode of Ranma 1/2 OAV, female Ranma was still voiced by Brigitta Dau before she got canned. She was the main reason why I hated Viz's dubbing the first time around.

I actually prefered the first dub girl-type Ranma over the second one. Embarassed But that may be just for nostalgic reasons. Back when Ranma first came out on VHS, I could only find the dub tapes, but I enjoyed it (though Ranma was the first non-televised anime I ever saw). Even today with my Ranma DVD collections, I still find myself watching the dub over subs a majority of the time. ^^;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Double-O

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the opening of Irresponsible Captain Tylor. It's almost too painful. Fortunately, Jeff Thompson (RIP) apologized for it during one of his panels a few years back, so at least the staff knew it sucked.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote
Haha... an english version of Rewrite... that would have been painful. I'm sorry. AK-FG songs should not be dubbed. Funi did an ok job with the Case Closed theme, and honestly, the YYH original themes weren't all that great, so must of the dubs were actually better. But the few series I've seen in english where characters in the show actually started singing, the songs were left in Japanese. I guess I'm lucky. The short clip I saw of "God Knows..." from Haruhi almost completely ruined that scene for me... the greatness of that scene was the animation and the singing matching. The english completely not matching the animation takes a great deal away from it, imo.

PS> Now, as I keep seeing the Nibbler banner, I'm gonna go watch me some of the final run of Futurama on [as].
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
A few of the old intros off Ranma 1/2 were catchy.I also liked the New Sol Bianca and Legend of BlackHeaven intro(their only song really.)

Other than that,dubbing is disgusting.
Raja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:

Yeah, who did that? First time I heard it I thought that SONIA did an English version...

Seif wrote:
Oh man. Tenchi. Did anyone else buy the English insert song CD? The idiocy of some of the lyrics literary sent shivers down my spine.
Like how Washuu is apparently singing a lullaby to herself? Or the unholy trainwreck that was "Up-Walk in Galaxy?"

One of my projects this year was to scour the used shops around here and re-create that CD in Japanese.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote
Ok, I get it, oh god, I get why people hate dubs. Holy crap. That was....terrible. Damn. Alright, fine, they used to be that rediculously bad, but I still think that we can look forward to good dubs, along with voice actors who can sing. After all, Vic Mignogna does a terriffic job of dubbing Hikari E and I hear Caitlin Glass does a great Compass for One Piece. Things have gotten so much better, thank god in the world of anime dubbing, but now I can understand how people became jaded.
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
My ears are bleeding!!! Anime cry

In all honesty though, I HAVE heard worse than these.
'Cardcaptors' is the worst I've heard, which Splitter mentioned.

I found the dubbed Lacus from Gundam SEED to be equally as diabolical when she sings.
Ghaagh... it should not be legal!
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote
I'm more disturbed by the fact the chick from Psycho Driver looks like Relena from Gundam Wing. And is singing. Badly. Shocked

This made me think back to Slayers, and the somewhat creative way the dub got around a Japanese song. There's an episode where Lina & Amelia dress like sailor scouts and have to sing a song for some sort of ritual. They sing the first verse or so in English (and badly!), but then Lina yells "In Japanese!" and the song continues in Japanese. Anime hyper I remember laughing so hard I cried.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Gundam Junkie wrote:
My ears are bleeding!!! Anime cry

In all honesty though, I HAVE heard worse than these.
'Cardcaptors' is the worst I've heard, which Splitter mentioned.

I found the dubbed Lacus from Gundam SEED to be equally as diabolical when she sings.
Ghaagh... it should not be legal!

At least she's not as bad as Meer Campbell, the Britney Spears of Gundam Seed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:27 am Reply with quote
Oh, man... I encountered 3 out of these 4 songs back in high school when I ran around renting every VHS I could find. What's worse is at the time I had a habit of hooking my stereo into my TV to record the songs out of the shows- I know I at least have the Psycho Diver songs on a tape somewhere... I own the Yuna DVD, and sister has my old dub video of that Ranma special. Only the Bubblegum songs am I safe from... By the way, thank you for the good news that Psycho Diver never did make DVD. Worst freakin' show I've ever seen!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8