• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Run 52 More Episodes of Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'm referring to the manga and maybe the anime as well. Both Bleach and Naruto anime adaptations in general can just be shoved together in the pile of overrated mainstream junk.

I prefer Bleach's action/fighting scenes anytime over Naruto, since anything bad that happens to Naruto characters aways end up to be either a Clone or a Genjutsu illusion. Bleach does boast some fancy magical swordfights.

However I'm someone who prefers more talk, less action. The only reason Beach has some story development is simply so that more unnecessary battles can occur, whereas in Naruto, battles occur to write off characters etc. so that the stories can continue.

On a more light-hearted note:
Blonde haired ninjas > Oranged haired 'Death God' (who are actually Soul Reapers in denial)
DAngel17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that they are going show more episodes. That means we get to will finish the Bount ark and see happens after that. So we can get ready for the next swists and turns in the story to come later on. I hope it stays interesting with more action later on.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote
only other 52ep there going to be 100+ep from where im at
calawain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Bount Arc was ok as far as fillers go these days, although there's a big chunk of about 15 episodes out of the 50 or so Bount episodes that are pretty skippable. But the Hueco Mundo arc is pretty hotsauce so you'll just have to suffer through the other stuff like those of us who watch it as it airs in Japan did haha.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
While I'm glad they're going to finish off the Rescue Arc, the Bounto Arc is SO bad. I wish they were skipping ahead. Confused

Have you seen the post Bounto arc episodes? Skipping them would seriously screw up the following arc seeing as how several filler characters remain in the canon episodes.

Emerje

Yes, I did, in fact. I watched the whole arc. I assume you're referring to the 3 mod souls who do not appear in the manga. However, there's about 13 episodes with them before the true Bounto Arc starts. I know they can't actually do it, I just disliked that arc so much I WISH they would skip ahead. While the plot wasn't bad overall, the fact that I knew they had to put the characters back in the same place they ended up at the end of the SS Arc meant that none of them were going to die/change dramatically. I basically took all the fun out of watching. And the 3 mod souls were and still are annoying. Plus, the art was quite bad.

Aside from a few episodes in the Arrancar Arc that were random (possibly filler, not sure) I thought that arc was pretty good, as is the HM arc. The art still isn't as good as it was, in my opinion, but the plot and action are FAR better than the Bounto Arc. I started picking up the manga at vol 21, so I'll see how it is compared to the anime. I'd say that the SS Arc was definitely the best so far, but there's still a lot left in the HM arc.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't surprise me. I never thought that Bleach was in any danger of being removed from Adult Swim.

BrothersElric wrote:
It's the Naruto fillers I'm most worried about........

At least we'll be going at a faster pace than when they aired in Japan. If they keep the pace of 2 new episodes a week, it'll all be over by November. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
This doesn't surprise me. I never thought that Bleach was in any danger of being removed from Adult Swim.

BrothersElric wrote:
It's the Naruto fillers I'm most worried about........

At least we'll be going at a faster pace than when they aired in Japan. If they keep the pace of 2 new episodes a week, it'll all be over by November. Smile

It'll be a faster pace, that's for sure, but I don't know about it being done before November. At 2 episodes a week for about 80 episodes or so (somewhere in there anyways), It'd probably take about a year or so. However if they don't do every single filler arc and just a couple of them (mostly with the ones that do have at least mild story content anyways, pretty much just the first and last filler arcs and the Hinata arc) then I could definitely see it done before this fall. Hopefully Viz gets the licesnse to Shippuuen very soon before then too.

Josh7289 wrote:
I don't understand why people think that's a bad thing.

Well Teammony pretty much summed up what I was going to say, but yeah, basically it's because the dubing company needs to have enough time to actually dub the episodes, among other things as well, and a new episode a week isn't nearly enough time to do so. Maybe it would work if they indeed did show them subtitled over dubbed, but not everyone is okay with that. I personally don't care whether it's subbed or dubbed, but a lot of other people do.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

It'll be a faster pace, that's for sure, but I don't know about it being done before November. At 2 episodes a week for about 80 episodes or so (somewhere in there anyways), It'd probably take about a year or so.

Well, I got that because there's about 52 weeks in 1 year. At a pace of 2 new episodes per week, it would take 42.5 weeks to air all of that( there's 85 episodes of filler). 52 - 42.5 - 4 weeks that have already passed, and we're still in November. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teammoney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
It'll be a faster pace, that's for sure, but I don't know about it being done before November. At 2 episodes a week for about 80 episodes or so (somewhere in there anyways), It'd probably take about a year or so. However if they don't do every single filler arc and just a couple of them (mostly with the ones that do have at least mild story content anyways, pretty much just the first and last filler arcs and the Hinata arc) then I could definitely see it done before this fall. Hopefully Viz gets the licesnse to Shippuuen very soon before then too.

Well Teammony pretty much summed up what I was going to say, but yeah, basically it's because the dubing company needs to have enough time to actually dub the episodes, among other things as well, and a new episode a week isn't nearly enough time to do so. Maybe it would work if they indeed did show them subtitled over dubbed, but not everyone is okay with that. I personally don't care whether it's subbed or dubbed, but a lot of other people do.

Thanks, BrothersElric, I agree with you. I wouldn't mind if it's subbed or dubbed. But subbed are SOOO much better than dubbed. The japanese voices are better than the annoying English actors. Their voices just doesn't seem right or fit the character.

Also, for showing 2 episodes a week..it could work, but there will be some time where it will be on break for a couple of weeks. Who knows, they might do a 2-hour marathon in the future for celebrating the holidays or being on cartoon network/adult swim for 2 years.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Please state your basis for "don't fit with the character." Can you give examples where the characters clearly don't fit with the attitudes or are acting incredibly poorly?
Teammoney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Please state your basis for "don't fit with the character." Can you give examples where the characters clearly don't fit with the attitudes or are acting incredibly poorly?

Sorry, Xanas..that I wasn't clear in my statement. Bleach and Naruto's dubs are okay. The acting aren't poorly, it's just that they choose the wrong actors to voice some of the characters.

In my opinion, I just don't really like the way Naruto voice is in English. It is still ok, but it's a lot annoying (come on, "believe it!" over and over, i get sick of it) and I guess they have to make his character annoying to fit the storyline. For Bleach, Rukia voicing is ok, Hitsugaya sounds more adultish, and it just doesn't have the right attitude or feel compared to the japanese version. Although, it's probably hard to find those actors to dub them close to the Japanese version.

Not alot of anime do have really good dubbing except probably Full Metal Alchemist and Inuyasha. I remembered I watched Lovehina in dub and one of the women, the actor voicing them had a southern cowboy accent (soo bad), haha. If only they showed subtitles and actual japanese voicing, it would be better.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Teammoney wrote:
Sorry, Xanas..that I wasn't clear in my statement. Bleach and Naruto's dubs are okay. The acting aren't poorly, it's just that they choose the wrong actors to voice some of the characters.

Your opinion. I like the dub for Bleach.

Teammoney wrote:

In my opinion, I just don't really like the way Naruto voice is in English. It is still ok, but it's a lot annoying (come on, "believe it!" over and over, i get sick of it) and I guess they have to make his character annoying to fit the storyline. For Bleach, Rukia voicing is ok, Hitsugaya sounds more adultish, and it just doesn't have the right attitude or feel compared to the japanese version. Although, it's probably hard to find those actors to dub them close to the Japanese version.

Naruto is supposed to be annoying, like a child who repeats the same word all the time ("dude", "man", "no, duh!") All the soul society are up there, aren't they despite their appearance?

Teammoney wrote:

Not alot of anime do have really good dubbing except probably Full Metal Alchemist and Inuyasha. I remembered I watched Lovehina in dub and one of the women, the actor voicing them had a southern cowboy accent (soo bad), haha. If only they showed subtitles and actual japanese voicing, it would be better.

Your opinion again. If you want the Japanese track, buy the dvds & listen to your heart's content. I was watching Super Robot Wars the other night myself & that one's loaded with top-notch Japanese VA's. A lot of time in these series you're getting Japanese VA's with the same or less experience as the American VA dubbing over them. I do know Johnny Yong Bosh's anime credits are longer than the Japanese VA's for Ichigo, although he's become popular thanks to Ichigo.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
A lot of time in these series you're getting Japanese VA's with the same or less experience as the American VA dubbing over them. I do know Johnny Yong Bosh's anime credits are longer than the Japanese VA's for Ichigo, although he's become popular thanks to Ichigo.

Oh, come on. The number of credits is in no way indicative of talent.
Teammoney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Teammoney wrote:

Your opinion. I like the dub for Bleach.

Teammoney wrote:

Naruto is supposed to be annoying, like a child who repeats the same word all the time ("dude", "man", "no, duh!") All the soul society are up there, aren't they despite their appearance?

Teammoney wrote:

Your opinion again. If you want the Japanese track, buy the dvds & listen to your heart's content. I was watching Super Robot Wars the other night myself & that one's loaded with top-notch Japanese VA's. A lot of time in these series you're getting Japanese VA's with the same or less experience as the American VA dubbing over them. I do know Johnny Yong Bosh's anime credits are longer than the Japanese VA's for Ichigo, although he's become popular thanks to Ichigo.

Well, yeah, I was just voicing my opinion. I do like some dub characters of Bleach especially Ichigo. I think Johnny Yong Bosh fits his character really well with his bada** attitude like in Japanese VA's. Anyway, I'm gonna stop msging since I'm talking like I know anime, but I have watch tons of them to tell what is better with its tone, style, etc. Sorry, if I'm pissing you guys off.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Death Note's ratings haven't even been that good for Adult Swim. Bleach's reruns usually beat it every week, & back when Bleach was new, it was giving AS it's best anime ratings in years.

I'd have to go back to check early Bleach ratings on [as] Saturdays to verify "Best anime ratings in years". However, the 1st 3 Saturdays of 2008 weren't good:
01/05/08 Top 3: FMA, Death Note & Blood+; all over 300K viewers, but the 1st week of 2008 being all-anime.
01/12/08 Top 3: The Big O, Blood+ & Samurai Champloo; all under 300K viewers. This was affected by NFL Divisional Playoffs.
01/19/08 Top 3: Blood+, Samurai Champloo, Death Note; all still under 300K.
BTW, where's Bleach? Based on those results & the 01/19/08 Top 3 that will be revealed on [adult swim] 02/03/08, starting 02/09/08, all-anime is gone!
Only Saturday anime will be Death Note, Bleach (premieres still starting Mar. 1) & Blood+, plus InuYasha & Astro Boy in the 5:00 AM hour. Here's the [adult swim] Schedule to prove it: http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/index.html
I will start to watch Bleach again starting Mar. 1 to finish the Soul Society arc & get into the Bount arc. Since I'm more of an anime guy than a manga guy, what's filler? It's new to me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3