• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maaya Sakamoto to Sing Macross Frontier Opening Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reversethief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Maaya Sakamoto is hit or miss with me. However, if she can pull out something as good as the Escaflowne opening I will be pleased. I really enjoyed the first episode of this series and now I'm curious about the ending. Can't wait to hear it!
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Banken wrote:

I would hazard to guess that:

1. she'll only do series that are top-level quality (ok, besides wolf's rain)

2. and that only the really high-budget shows can afford her

I'm confused. Are you saying that Wolf's Rain is not "top-level" quality? I think that the production values for Wolf's Rain is at least as good as Brain Powered (which she scored the same year as Bebop) which never struck me as "really high" budget. I would also debate if the excellent Please Save My Earth which introduced me to Kanno is "really high budget." I actually bought the PSME OST when it came out since I was already a big Hajime Mizoguchi fan because of To-y.

I'm being somewhat facetious. Wolf's Rain had extremely high production values but the plot wasn't all that interesting. Plus it was about furries. Although I still watched most of it...

Also, Bebob was 10 years ago. I think it's safe to assume that it costs more to hire her now than it did then, because her fanbase has grown so much.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

I'm being somewhat facetious. Wolf's Rain had extremely high production values but the plot wasn't all that interesting. Plus it was about furries. Although I still watched most of it...

Also, Bebob was 10 years ago. I think it's safe to assume that it costs more to hire her now than it did then, because her fanbase has grown so much.

Wolf's Rain's plot does take a while to get going, but the series, especially the OVA ending, is fantastic.

And furries? Last time I checked, Wolf's Rain was about WOLVES, not Wolf/human hybrids. I think somebody needs to recheck the definition of furry.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited for a new Maaya Sakamoto and Yoko Kanno combo!

I really enjoyed her Nikopachi album, and I was sad when Sakamoto stopped working with Kanno. Although I was happy that she wanted to diversify with different composers, and I worried they would never collaborate again.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Banken wrote:

Wolf's Rain's plot does take a while to get going, but the series, especially the OVA ending, is fantastic.

And furries? Last time I checked, Wolf's Rain was about WOLVES, not Wolf/human hybrids. I think somebody needs to recheck the definition of furry.

OK, *reverse* furries (animals who turn into people instead of people who think they're animals).

I didn't even know there was an OVA... I never saw the TV series ending.

ALSO, IMO everything Maaya Sakamoto touches is golden.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
I'm looking forward to this since these two are my favorite singer/producer team in anime. I've loved every opening/movie theme they have done together, especially RahXephon's "Hemisphere".

Hopefully the Frontier opening can join Hemisphere

Quote:
Ehh, I still believe "New Frontier" by Yoshiki Fukuyama would be a more fitting opening

How can you say something is not as fitting when you haven't even heard it?

Quote:
But I was in love with "Ai, Oboete imasu ka" as the ED.

It's a classic and is probably my favorite insert song in anime period but I really love it when in anime endings the music starts up before the ED credits. This technique has been used great in shows like Angelic Layer, Gundam SEED, Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile and of course Macross Plus. Ai, Oboete imasu ka really can't be used like that so I hope the ED can be.

If you had read more than the first sentence of my post you would have read this line. AKA the second sentence.
" I will continue to think so until this OP can wow me."
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:

If you had read more than the first sentence of my post you would have read this line. AKA the second sentence.

I had the same impression as Wrestlo after reading your post, that you were biased against something that didn't exist. The use of the word "more" in the first sentence implies a reference to something of inferior quality. And even with the second sentence, it still sounds like you're assuming that currently, the real OP does not suit your taste, regardless of its existence. But I think I got what you were trying to get across after reading your post twice.

Last edited by mike_s_6 on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Ryomanagare wrote:

I did read that, it's a moronic shield to hide your biased opinion behind.
Ryomanagare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Ryomanagare wrote:

I did read that, it's a moronic shield to hide your biased opinion behind.

The first Macross series I saw was 7. Then I saw the original, then Flashback 2012, and finally Dynamite 7. Because of that I've always associated Yoshiki Fukuyama with Macross music. Saying that I don't have a biased opinion would be a lie, but I will at least give this opening a chance. If Macross F's opening is high quality and matches the show's tone then I will accept it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2