• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: National Public Radio Profiles Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome. Very Happy

I'm happy that NPR is giving anime a positive light.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Good article and I'm glad it focused on the good parts of anime, instead of dragging in all those dumb students who decided to start Death Note kill lists.

I love NPR. It's the only radio I listen to anymore.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Quote:
It's a luxury, pure and simple. I know plenty of people who still don't have cable, including in my extended family, some of whom are teachers and former teachers who have very little discretionary income they can afford to put towards something like a cable subscription. The teachers I know who are still working are trying desperately to save enough to live through their future retirement and those who have already retired are still working full time jobs just to make ends meet.

With respect, that's hog-wash. I started a High-School teacher, and I've got 7 teachers in my family. You won't get rich teaching, but you won't exactly starve either. Most folks live in two income families these days, and with median teaching incomes (with some years of experience) of about 50-60,000 that represents a pretty comfortable living. Teachers also importantly receive a pension upon retirement (which relatively few Americans do), so while a teacher may wish to still open some additional savings, retirement in a way is much more comfortable for them then the typical American worker; being they have not had to put aside a portion of their income into a 401k, like most. You will also find very few people who regard basic cable as an unaffordable luxury (which is different then luxury of choice), that argument strikes me as a little tin-eared college freshman-ish. American poor are largely defined by lack of quality services (health care, education, retirement planning, etc.), not lack of standard consumer goods.

The rest of your post doesn't really rebut the points of funding for PBS/NPR, you just take things into 'Democratic Underground' territory. There's a difference between practical observation on media outlets and looking through the spectrum of ideological preference. Again, OT, and don't want to drift the conversation off current.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Actually, public radio isn't really in much danger. More of their funding already comes from private funds and businesses these days...

At which point it ceases to be "public" radio striving to represent the "public" interest.

Just wanted to point out that, like my local NPR broadcaster tells us repeatedly during the semiannual fund drives, the biggest chunk of public radio funding still comes from listeners (you know... the public). Also, it's not like businesses, be they small or large, can't contribute to public radio without it becoming some kind of slanted mouthpiece for corporate interests... :/

Also, Goodpenguin: thank you for responding to daxomni with a logical, well constructed argument. It really helps your case that you don't sound like an extremist jumping on a soap box when you write :)

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot! Props to Fresh Air for actually reviewing Death Note with some level of appreciation, aka NOT based purely on public response and the back cover blurb!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
With respect, that's hog-wash.

You can't say "hog-wash" with respect. Pick one or the other.

Goodpenguin wrote:
You won't get rich teaching, but you won't exactly starve either.

I find it amusing (and sad) that you think the only people who can't afford cable television are those who can't even feed themselves.

Goodpenguin wrote:
Most folks live in two income families these days

Shocking, I know, but some teachers actually live alone. Sucks to be them, huh?

Goodpenguin wrote:
and with median teaching incomes (with some years of experience) of about 50-60,000 that represents a pretty comfortable living.

I've lived with a single parent teacher for most of my childhood. We could never afford cable or a big television or any of the other things you may have taken for granted. I can see that you're apparently sold on the idea that teachers get paid well, but teachers like my mom and my aunt are hard pressed to save enough to retire comfortably. That's just a simple fact of life. The teachers in my family spend their "summer vacation" working to cover the shortfall in their salaries and send as much of their income into their retirement accounts as they can.

Goodpenguin wrote:
Teachers also importantly receive a pension upon retirement (which relatively few Americans do), so while a teacher may wish to still open some additional savings, retirement in a way is much more comfortable for them then the typical American worker; being they have not had to put aside a portion of their income into a 401k, like most.

Teachers receive a pension, yes, and if they are extremely careful about where they choose to retire they might be able to get by, but most of the teachers I know end up working after retirement anyway just so that they can live outside of the lowest cost areas of town and have enough to cover unexpected events like car trouble and home repair and health related issues. Teachers don’t have 401k accounts but they have a similar option with 403b’s and they can also make use of IRA’s. However, few of the teachers I know are able to max out their retirement options and many fall short of even the half-way point.

Goodpenguin wrote:
You will also find very few people who regard basic cable as an unaffordable luxury (which is different then luxury of choice), that argument strikes me as a little tin-eared college freshman-ish. American poor are largely defined by lack of quality services (health care, education, retirement planning, etc.), not lack of standard consumer goods.

I lived through it. When I was a kid I wanted cable just like everyone else, but it simply wasn’t an option for us. The fact that you apparently have no concept of what life can be like for a single parent teacher doesn’t change the reality of the situation.

Goodpenguin wrote:
The rest of your post doesn't really rebut the points of funding for PBS/NPR, you just take things into 'Democratic Underground' territory. There's a difference between practical observation on media outlets and looking through the spectrum of ideological preference. Again, OT, and don't want to drift the conversation off current.

Feel free to join me in the community area if you want to discuss this further.

evilnekohilda wrote:
Just wanted to point out that, like my local NPR broadcaster tells us repeatedly during the semiannual fund drives, the biggest chunk of public radio funding still comes from listeners (you know... the public).

It’s not entirely clear if you’re specifically referring to that one station or public radio as a whole, so I’m not quite sure what I’m supposed to be interpreting from your statements. In any case if the single largest “chunk” of funding is less than just over 50% it does not automatically represent the bulk of the funding and is thus in a minority position.

Wikipedia.org wrote:
Typically, NPR member stations raise about one-third of their budget through on-air pledge drives, one-third from corporate underwriting, and one-third from grants from state governments, university grants, and grants from the CPB itself. Over the years, the portion of the total NPR budget that comes from government has been decreasing. During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were being taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. More money to fund the NPR network was raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations, and less from the federal government.

So it looks as though 66% of the budget is from sources that may or may not have the public’s interest at heart. I’m not even saying that NPR’s contributors ever make any demands on the programming, but if I was working for NPR and we received $200,000,000 from the foundation started by the founder of McDonalds I might not dig quite as deeply into a story that put some negative aspect of McDonalds into the public spotlight. If the donation came directly from McDonalds I might dig lighter still, and so on. Nobody would even have to say a word. I would be careful just because I wanted NPR to remain solvent and my job to remain secure over the long term.

evilnekohilda wrote:
Also, it's not like businesses, be they small or large, can't contribute to public radio without it becoming some kind of slanted mouthpiece for corporate interests... :/

I’d still prefer not to risk it and simply error on the side of caution instead. If you go back and look at how our news media were run prior to the 1980's you'll see that the public interest reporting got a lot more airtime before the private news sources were brought under the entertainment divisions and the public networks were forced to replace more and more of their public funding with private sources. You might want to watch a movie called "Good Night and Good Luck" to get another perspective on the issue.

evilnekohilda wrote:
Also, Goodpenguin: thank you for responding to daxomni with a logical, well constructed argument. It really helps your case that you don't sound like an extremist jumping on a soap box when you write Smile

He referred to my comments as being part of the “Democratic Underground” and then he bailed. What is “Democratic Underground” anyway? Is that some codeword only conspiracy theorists can understand? It honestly sounds a little extremist to my ears, but maybe he’ll come back to explain how his shadowy vision of the “Democratic Underworld” works for us laymen.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Quote:
He referred to my comments as being part of the “Democratic Underground” and then he bailed. What is “Democratic Underground” anyway? Is that some codeword only conspiracy theorists can understand? It honestly sounds a little extremist to my ears, but maybe he’ll come back to explain how his shadowy vision of the “Democratic Underworld” works for us laymen.

'Democratic Underground' is a popular, heavily left-wing internet forum of somewhat militant view, as I'm sure you well know. The point is that instead of talking about NPR/PBS funding, which is already OT, in an increasingly fevered manner your shaping the issue into some working class exploitation narrative/evil corporate scheme tale. Not only is it widely off-topic (and of dubious making), it's hardly appropriate for an anime message board. Nor is there any dearth of outlets to discuss such views on the internet to begin with.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the comment that PBS has outlived its usefulness. This couldn't be further from the truth. The viewership of public television is actually on the rise. It's gotten more expensive, so more sponsorship is required, but generally these shows don't even know their sponsors when they're filmed, unlike standard broadcasting that generally has to sell the ad time first. PBS generally funds the projects with the public funds, then recoups some of that by selling sponsorships.

Regular shows, of course, will often be aware of their sponsors, however even those change regularly. This procedure limits the effect of any bias that might occur as a result. This provides a greater degree of trust, and also allows for more niche shows to be created as they don't have to concern themselves so much with satisfying advertisers and keeping ratings up in order to do so. A lot of shows that have quite a bit of value to specific audiences wouldn't last half a season on any major network.

Nope, sorry, PBS still has a great deal of value. On top of that, it is accessible to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
'Democratic Underground' is a popular, heavily left-wing internet forum of somewhat militant view, as I'm sure you well know.

Popular? I had no idea it even existed. I've never seen it referenced in any of my "heavily left wing" news sources like NPR. I am curious who this "militant" underground forum is targeting though and what sort of weapons they have? Anyway, if you feel like coming back to this topic again feel free to take it up in the Community Forum...
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Actually, public radio isn't really in much danger. More of their funding already comes from private funds and businesses these days...

At which point it ceases to be "public" radio striving to represent the "public" interest.

When we have to pay a Radio/TV license for it.
skyesage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:

With respect, that's hog-wash. I started a High-School teacher, and I've got 7 teachers in my family. You won't get rich teaching, but you won't exactly starve either. Most folks live in two income families these days, and with median teaching incomes (with some years of experience) of about 50-60,000 that represents a pretty comfortable living. Teachers also importantly receive a pension upon retirement (which relatively few Americans do), so while a teacher may wish to still open some additional savings, retirement in a way is much more comfortable for them then the typical American worker; being they have not had to put aside a portion of their income into a 401k, like most. You will also find very few people who regard basic cable as an unaffordable luxury (which is different then luxury of choice), that argument strikes me as a little tin-eared college freshman-ish. American poor are largely defined by lack of quality services (health care, education, retirement planning, etc.), not lack of standard consumer goods.

I live in one of the richest areas of the U.S., and I know people who don't have basic cable. And quite frankly, I think that PBS is one of the most important things on television, and also that a lot of people can't afford or aren't in cable. It is a luxury that a huge amount of people don't have. You know, high speed internet is a luxury for a lot of people too. Do you know anyone who still has dialup? Well guess what, a huge amount of people still do. Rolling Eyes
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
skyesage wrote:
Quote:
You know, high speed internet is a luxury for a lot of people too. Do you know anyone who still has dialup? Well guess what, a huge amount of people still do

Well, from where I live high-speed internet can cost up to nearly $100 a month in and of itself, so it seems foolish of me to have compared that to basic cable (not even factoring computer ownership vs. TV ownership). Really silly given a large part of my job is covering politics via the media's effect, and knowing demographically who typically receives and watches the various forms of programs. If I can ask you one small favor, could you please direct me to the passage where I made such a comparison so I may retract it? If not, perhaps you can look up the definition of 'straw man' as a rhetoric device.

Quote:
I live in one of the richest areas of the U.S., and I know people who don't have basic cable. And quite frankly, I think that PBS is one of the most important things on television, and also that a lot of people can't afford or aren't in cable.

The same as another poster before, anecdotal stories of what you see in your unique, personal experience and what you ideologically think of PBS is irrelevant to the original points, which are of a marketplace, not partisan nature. If you have information, contra jsevakis's post, that PBS has not diminished in mainstream viewership/relevance from specialty channels offering many of the same science/nature/educational/political type programing, that is of relevance. If you have information, contra to my post, that PBS is a political mainstay of the working classes, and that significant portions of working/middle class people go for want of basic cable (not by personal choice or budget choice, but lack of any fiscal means), that is of relevance.

If not, then you have a post in which your simply stating you know some people without cable and you think PBS is important.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
I'm finding myself frightened that Goodpenguin and I agree on something, lol, but I have to completely agree. I think PBS is no longer needed.

I grew up in a single parent family, we had no difficulty having basic cable. No doubt in some areas this might be harder due to higher costs of housing/etc, but it'd be a rarity and I think the last concern should be making sure they have PBS (which 90% of them will probably have no interest in it's programming).

I personally think we'd be better off spending that money broadening what educational material is freely available (and making sure more people have access to it in libraries/on the internet/etc).
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I'm finding myself frightened that Goodpenguin and I agree on something, lol, but I have to completely agree. I think PBS is no longer needed.

I grew up in a single parent family, we had no difficulty having basic cable. No doubt in some areas this might be harder due to higher costs of housing/etc, but it'd be a rarity and I think the last concern should be making sure they have PBS (which 90% of them will probably have no interest in it's programming).

I personally think we'd be better off spending that money broadening what educational material is freely available (and making sure more people have access to it in libraries/on the internet/etc).

Hey, I've agreed with you on several things outside your somewhat utopian IP/copyright preferences. Wink

In seriousness, I believe it was jsevakis who wrote about PBS not being needed, I was more ore less countering the sentiment that PBS was a vital mainstream news source (in an aggregate, not preference sense), and that this was all working people had because basic cable was a rare commodity. I actually watch a fair amount of PBS personally (though I'd agree with you that I don't think it's government funding is vital anymore), and feel the PBS corporation makes a lot of it's own PR/perception problems by being stubborn with political programming.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
Personally I've felt that widespread media attention would be a necessary building block of anyone making the claim that anime is finally a mainstream interest. But of course that also carries the very real risk that the seedier parts of anime would dominate the dialog that could result in a substantially more negative image among non-fans. So far anime still seems fairly niche to me even after all these years, especially among adults, but over time stories like this and others have appeared to show that it's at least on the radar even if it's not quite part of the national consciousness as of yet.

Goodpenguin wrote:
I ... feel the PBS corporation makes a lot of it's own PR/perception problems by being stubborn with political programming.

I thought you were describing Newscorp there for a moment. I guess your concern is only focused in one direction. How surprising. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
I personally think the money that goes towards NPR, PBS, and Cspan from the federal budget would be better spent in funding building up the internet-infrastructure around the country, especially in those areas where dial up is the only available option.

What's a better way to make sure people have access to unbiased news and information? PBS or a DSL connection? (or, a public library with a DSL connection)

Unfortunately in the US, we leave this up to corporations who see no profit in actually building lines to rural communities and so that's where the government (states, specifically) need to step in.
And this is from someone who is a big fan of CSPAN and NPR, too... I just don't think they serve the purpose they once did.
Cspan doesn't make the politicians more careful about what they say on the house floor... anything controvertial now-a-days would be played on a 24 hour loop on MSNBC anyway...
NPR and PBS are great sources of unique programming, but I really wonder if you can still claim they provide a necessary service to the public at large. There are just so many other ways of keeping yourself informed... The great equalizer in this new millennium is broadband internet access. All focus should be put on getting that to as many people as possible. That's my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3