• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell to Return to Japanese Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
I think the Star Wars jokes have more to do with a awful and misguided "Special Editions", not Skywalker Sound.

It's an interesting concept. I could see the want of updating the visuals to be more in line with Innocence, but I can't say I like how drastically it alters the look and feel of the film (much like the afore mentioned SEs). The new shots are a lot redder, which is odd given the bluish look of the old footage. I wonder if they're just replacing the old CGI, or if they're going to do a lot of needlessly adding of more CG. The chopper shot suggests the latter, and looks terrible in comparison. It's always a bit sad to see hand done work replaced by flashy, cold technology, no matter how much "cooler" it looks.

I suppose as long as is doesn't supplant the original, it's okay. Though I'd rather see a third Oshii GitS film instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pyoko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:21 am Reply with quote
Looks terrible, really. When will they realize 3D doesn't automatically make things better.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 am Reply with quote
therealssjlink wrote:
So...does anyone want a "Free Hat"?

Hat is innocent! He only killed those 23 babies in self defense. Laughing

So glad I have the original version on dvd.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
So glad I have the original version on dvd.

Same here.

I seriously believe that the "Free Hat" episode of South Park should be required viewing for both new film students as well as anyone who contemplates "touching up" an older film. Looks like a few folks over in Japan should have watched it as well. Still, as long as this new travesty doesn't supplant the original like the Star Wars Special Editions did, the people working on this project are at least a step above Lucus.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
GitS 2.0 will probably get a brief, tiny art-house run in NYC and LA. If so, I'll check it out

...in the early afternoon, after having plenty of rest and a decent breakfast. :wink:
gits03

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Pyoko wrote:
Looks terrible, really. When will they realize 3D doesn't automatically make things better.

Well, if Production IG is in charge of the updated 3D graphics, Im not too worried about it.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
I've never seen the original GITS movie, so I'm hoping that this comes out in theaters over here as well. With the GITS:SAC dub cast, of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
I honestly like the "before" pictures a lot more. Now, it just looks like a generic CG flick. For shame.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I dunno, this just seems wrong to me. While certainly 'old', GitS is still stunning to look at, and tampering with it is like someone airbrushing the cracks out of the Mona Lisa. It's a classic that's certainly held its own for more than a decade, so why does it need updating all of a sudden? If I want CGI helicopters and glowy cityscapes, I'll just go watch SAC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Icehawk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I can understand maybe updating the holographic and computer screen displays to look better instead of the those monochromatic green ones they had (but even they don't look all that bad) but the actual characters, items, and background artwork did not need to be replaced with anything and would only need to be remastered in HD resolution and maybe cleaned up a little bit.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I had no problems with the visuals in the original version. The ending is still quite haunting, and one hopes it'll long remain a classic example of animated sci-fi not relying on overt supernaturalism, but I have mixed opinions seeing something as thematically deep as GITS being milked à la Evangelion.
On one side it might introduce new viewers to the franchise, but on the other a visual rehash won't (at least in my opinion) make the film any more artistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsukikage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So, they're making a Ghost in the Shell re-release with new CG, voice-acting, and remixed music. Looking at the before-and-after images they posted... I have to say I sort of like the old (bottom) better. I mean, it seems that what they did for the most part was make things darker and less contrastive, and honestly take some of the life out of the scenes. Like the first image: all the cars down below that indicate that there's actual life going on down below? Gone. (Although to be fair, this is only a single shot, so maybe we see "life" elsewhere in the cut. [EDIT: Nope, saw the whole cut in the trailer and there's road but no cars.]) And in the second scene with Aramaki, the only advantage to the new version is the better animation of the brain, while the detail in the woodwork (literally) is gone, and Aramaki himself is so cast in shadow that he might as well not be there. I dunno, I'm probably just being reactionary, and you know I'll be DLing this to check it out, even if the 6.1 audio will be wasted on my 2.0 speakers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh god.

Great, just great. They are going to give it the Star Wars or E.T "Butchered Edition" treatment.

This is the worst thing to happen to this classic film since that horrible new series.

Glad to know that Japan isn't opposed to the idea of completly destroying their own intellectual property for once. And here I thought that's why they licensed them out to make terrible US live-action films based on them.

Count me out. Thanks for scribbling over the original film, tarnising it's memory and peeing in the face of the last of the fans of the original GITS movie.

Real classy. I'll never understand why so many directors hate their own past works so much that they feel like defying the fans that like it the way it is, just to disrespect and hack classic films up into some new, shiny looking CGI piece of crap.
8JF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I like the new versions posted over the old ones. The new versions takes the background out of focus like it should be in a camera that is focused on the major in the foreground.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
KarmaRocketX wrote:
This is the worst thing to happen to this classic film since that horrible new series.

I can't help but laugh at that, and all the other overreactions in this thread. Ghost in the Shell was such an overrated picture, one of Oshii's worst. Trust me, any improvement he can do won't make it worse, and it certainly won't make it better than Stand Alone Complex.

It's not like he's changing the ending, giving it the Tomino treatment of Zeta Gundam in those awful movies he did a short time ago. There's just going to be a bit of an audio/video upgrade. Don't worry, Batou will still shoot first. And second. And then again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5