• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Man Found Guilty of Anime File-Sharing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Good to see you can still get away with murder in Japan but file-sharing'll get you murphed out.

Wow, way to hyperbolize.

I can assure you that many thousands of times more people get away with uploading copyrighted material every day in Japan than get away with murder Smile.
asura_wings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
that is why fans should be considered by the creators,some creators don't care if their work is pirated as long as they are appreceated and watched but not for unauthorized commercial use,one of them is nao yazawa of wedding peach...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Good to see you can still get away with murder in Japan but file-sharing'll get you murphed out.

Hm yes this is a very intelligent observation.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Since these guys were arrested there has been almost no drop off in availability of raws of any shows that I can tell.

And I might remind people that _downloading_ shows is still LEGAL in Japan. (It's illegal in the US, but not in Japan, despite new laws pending that will change that). If they thought this action will end up deterring raws from being uploaded to the internet one bit they're fooling themselves.

As I scour the net looking for pixies lately, I see more & more sites that have scans/subs saying if they are asked to remove stuff, they're keeping it down. It is affecting some people out there. Don't act like it isn't. If they nail a few more people, we'll probably see more & more people discover being lawabiding. Until this guy actually pulled that sentance, no one thought he'd get 18 months for uploading. He did. If his co-defs get similar, you might see a few more people slow down on the uploading.
Of course it wouldn't affect downloading. That's not illegal in Japan. They aren't breaking any law. They just found the stolen money-there's no law requiring they turn it in so why should they worry? It fell off a truck. But if more & more people get nervous & stop uploading, one might actually find titles unavailable. Particularly considering this is all for glory, not cash. It might be thrilling to shoplift or use drugs, but when it costs you your job because you go to jail at some point you will get it thru your thick skull to stop. One of my guys said he'd been with us for 4 yrs & he'd had enough. No more bucking the system. He just wanted his grant over. I spoke with a gal last fall-same thing, but she'd been ours for 15 yrs. It just took her a lot longer to figure out she wasn't going to beat the system. I had another last year who had notes about being difficult, in fact, he was argumentative ewhen I saw him the firsdt time, but the 2nd time-totally different story. He wanted us out of his life--tell him what to do, he'd do it.
At some point rebelling just for the sake of rebelling wears thin. One learns to pick one's battles.

Perfect Dark will be cracked. Give it time. If someone can write it, somone else can figure out a hole.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
samuelp wrote:

Since these guys were arrested there has been almost no drop off in availability of raws of any shows that I can tell.

And I might remind people that _downloading_ shows is still LEGAL in Japan. (It's illegal in the US, but not in Japan, despite new laws pending that will change that). If they thought this action will end up deterring raws from being uploaded to the internet one bit they're fooling themselves.

As I scour the net looking for pixies lately, I see more & more sites that have scans/subs saying if they are asked to remove stuff, they're keeping it down. It is affecting some people out there. Don't act like it isn't. If they nail a few more people, we'll probably see more & more people discover being lawabiding. Until this guy actually pulled that sentance, no one thought he'd get 18 months for uploading. He did. If his co-defs get similar, you might see a few more people slow down on the uploading.
Of course it wouldn't affect downloading. That's not illegal in Japan. They aren't breaking any law. They just found the stolen money-there's no law requiring they turn it in so why should they worry? It fell off a truck. But if more & more people get nervous & stop uploading, one might actually find titles unavailable. Particularly considering this is all for glory, not cash. It might be thrilling to shoplift or use drugs, but when it costs you your job because you go to jail at some point you will get it thru your thick skull to stop. One of my guys said he'd been with us for 4 yrs & he'd had enough. No more bucking the system. He just wanted his grant over. I spoke with a gal last fall-same thing, but she'd been ours for 15 yrs. It just took her a lot longer to figure out she wasn't going to beat the system. I had another last year who had notes about being difficult, in fact, he was argumentative ewhen I saw him the firsdt time, but the 2nd time-totally different story. He wanted us out of his life--tell him what to do, he'd do it.
At some point rebelling just for the sake of rebelling wears thin. One learns to pick one's battles.

Perfect Dark will be cracked. Give it time. If someone can write it, somone else can figure out a hole.
I'm not talking about fansubs, I'm talking about raws, and you don't find those posted to web-sites or torrents initially (everything you find there is almost always a repost from something grabbed from japanese p2p).

Fact is, all that'll happen to cappers in Japan to completely immunize them is to have them send raws to someone overseas who is the person who distributes it. A lot of groups already do this. All the capper does is cap the show, encode, upload over secure sftp to a server he/she rents in Toga, and uses that server to upload the raw to the net. It'd be nearly impossible to prosecute that, even in Japan. In fact, I'm not sure it'd even be illegal under Japanese law if they couldn't show direct evidence of the initial transfer from Japan.

Furthermore, capping near perfect copies of Japanese digital HD tv is far easier than it has ever been before. A <$300 grey market device and a new hard drive are fast enough to capture TS streams in real time. Blu-ray recorders are selling briskly here, and blu-ray encryption has been cracked already, so that's another option. It used to take a lot of work and VERY expensive equipment to capture TV streams in good quality, but now any dude with a semi-decent computer can cap shows perfectly.
I just see prosecution like a little man holding a shield, standing on a beach facing a 10 meter tall tsunami.
You won't be able to stop, or even slow down the capture and sharing of broadcast television from Japan.

You know, I bet if you've never lived here you think that Japanese people respect the law because of the low crime rate, right?
But outside of any train station in tokyo, the places with the most number of bicycles crammed together is always right underneath a sign that says "No bicycle parking". And I see policeman sometimes going around ticketing them, too.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Fact is, all that'll happen to cappers in Japan to completely immunize them is to have them send raws to someone overseas who is the person who distributes it. A lot of groups already do this. All the capper does is cap the show, encode, upload over secure sftp to a server he/she rents in Toga, and uses that server to upload the raw to the net. It'd be nearly impossible to prosecute that, even in Japan. In fact, I'm not sure it'd even be illegal under Japanese law if they couldn't show direct evidence of the initial transfer from Japan.

I know the subbers get raws. I'm simply pointing out as it becomes more difficult, as some of these uploaders get a real life & understand what they're doing, some will stop. A tagger who finally manages to buy a home is probably just as upset as the next guy when his wall gets tagged because it's now his work to keep it up.

samuelp wrote:

You know, I bet if you've never lived here you think that Japanese people respect the law because of the low crime rate, right?
But outside of any train station in tokyo, the places with the most number of bicycles crammed together is always right underneath a sign that says "No bicycle parking". And I see policeman sometimes going around ticketing them, too.

Wow, you mean Japan is JUST LIKE the US on that? Everyone speeding until the cop shows up on the freeway? Everyone turning on a red light when the sigh says otherwise, so the officer just sits there handing out ticket after ticket?

If anything I worry more about Japan because if one believes their movies it seems half the population is killed in car crashes & if you collapse on the sidewalk everyone will just step around you & let you die.
And no one seems to know CPR.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Wow, you mean Japan is JUST LIKE the US on that? Everyone speeding until the cop shows up on the freeway? Everyone turning on a red light when the sigh says otherwise, so the officer just sits there handing out ticket after ticket?

If anything I worry more about Japan because if one believes their movies it seems half the population is killed in car crashes & if you collapse on the sidewalk everyone will just step around you & let you die.
And no one seems to know CPR.

As for the collapsing on the sidewalk, yeah, I could see that. Generally there is a security guard or someone in some authority position nearby that would actually call for help, but I think I've seen similar scenes around town myself. It's deeply ingrained to not poke you head into other people's business.

As for speeding in tokyo: That's not possible Smile. Can't say much about the highways outside of the city myself, as I don't have a car here.

But when it comes to following rules like traffic laws or parking regulations, Japanese are no different than americans with their disreguard.
I've seen people at Shibuya blatantly hop the gates at the train station in front of hundreds of people, and no one says a thing.

There was a street fight in the middle of shibuya central city avenue between two izakaya advertiser guys and everyone was gathered around in a little circle quietly watching. Some street cops strolled by and actually ignored it. (Seems that the competition for izakaya bar advertiser people is pretty intense).
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

Hm yes this is a very intelligent observation.

Yeah cause you know..system's a little lopsided over there...aw just shut up!
Mikuru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:

It's called the sad reality in our capitalist society where profits means more than people.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Mikuru wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

It's called the sad reality in our capitalist society where profits means more than people.

*plays a sad song on her violin.*

I hope you know that this goes both ways, because people do this crap all the time. >.>;
lucia096

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
that law isnt gonna work out for sure, people are still going to download and upload anime. they cant catch everyone. what, there going to put everyone in jail for uploading one episode. might as well put everyone in jail.
Dardre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
lucia096 wrote:
that law isnt gonna work out for sure, people are still going to download and upload anime. they can't catch everyone. what, there going to put everyone in jail for uploading one episode. might as well put everyone in jail.

So what you're saying is that just because they won't/can't catch everyone, they should just give up and let people break their laws? The logic in that escapes me.

Hate to burst some people's bubble, but Japan (like every other civilized country) is ruled by law; and if you break the law and get caught, you get punished. Might just be a ticket, or it could be time in jail, but you will be punished.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
but in the end...how do you download for private use without any uploaders?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
You pay for it like what happens on BOST TV, Netflix etc.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
i gotta ask this question. why would anyone need broadband internet if not for illegal downloading? Everyone would still use dial up if we were only checking email and reading a few websites. one guy goes to jail for uploading, then 5 new guys pop up to take his place and then some. it's futile. the only animes I buy are ones I've downloaded and liked. It's always cheap collections too. Not the initial expensive box set. I bought every Naruto box set released so far thanks to fansubs. I don't know anyone that can afford to waste $20 on 4 episodes of anime. If I couldn't download anime for free, I wouldn't be a fan and wouldn't spend a dollar on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4