• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shirley You Jest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I really want to read Strawberry Shake Sweet now, sounds like a fantastic series,

The fact that some of the girls actually proclaim themselves as lesbian (without this annoying thick layer of subtext or other crappy gimmicks that's SO prevalent in other series), and it doesn't take place in some all-girl Catholic school gives Strawberry Shake Sweet a unique flavor for the yuri genre.

I couldn't agree more. I hate all the "I'm not a lesbian but I happened to fall in love with a girl" stuff that is all over in shoujo-ai. Strawberry Shake Sweet might just be the "Gravitation" of the shoujo-ai genre.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Strawberry Shake Sweet might just be the "Gravitation" of the shoujo-ai genre.
I haven't read strawberry sweet shake and I don't like yuri or shoujo-ai but I'm glad there is one title that actually has some substance for the fans that do like it. While I'm not much of a shounen-ai fan either I did see gravitation because of all the hype (and a few obsessed friends) but they didn't really proclaim that they were gay either right? Yuki was a play boy and probably had been with every fan girl in tokyo by the time he met shuichi. Shuichi himself had been known to date girls and it was obvious that the rest of the cast liked men and women. I think it's just one of those things they do. "We can make a BL/GL title but they will never out right say I like girls or I like guys"[/code]
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Heh, they played that "Over the Future" from Karen's Girls at Anime Expo during the wait for the Jyukai feat. Yoko Ishida concert. Just watching the video made me feel like I had a lolicon DX (Which I don't... ...Well, anyway, we don't talk about that.) ...The song is insanely cute though.

I was thinking about reading Zettai Karen Children, and I might go pick up a few volumes when I go to Kinokuniya this weekend because of the summary.

I read the first couple lines of the Vassalord summary and knew it was bishounen bait... I suppose I'll avoid that one then.

Great job on the RTO column, as always!!!
poonk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
The vampire series, Vassalord, confused the heck out of me. Was there some kind of story? I don't know, I couldn't tell, and after that I didn't want to read beyond the second chapter. This is only for people desperate for another vampire story with mxm subtext.
Patachu wrote:
For each one of us who has the brains to see past a badly written blurb, there are ten other idiots who are ready to start drooling like Pavlovian dogs when they hear the keywords "gay undead robot vampire-hunting clergy."
*raises hand* Heh, guilty as charged, I suppose; although in my defense, I do like the manga-ka's other works, so it's not just the "gay-undead-robot-vampire-hunting-clergy" thing. Anyway, I would've bought this at B&N yesterday if the only copy they had on-hand hadn't looked like it'd been read through 10 times already-- probably by the 2-3 people sitting in the aisle, blocking my shopping. *suppresses urge to kick*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyman811

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow that review of of Gantz was harsh but true the first few volumes were not as good depth wise but do give you entertainment unlike most mangas. I have read all 23 volumes so far and they do get better. The reviewer should also know most character die within 3 or 4 chapters so depth is really not the reason the author is making this manga. This manga is purely entertainment and does leave many cliffhangers that leave you wanting more so i give it a B because the reviewer of it is very ignorant towards the series and should get used to reviewing mangas that arnt shit like most of them.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Another fantastic Right Turn only Carlos. I myself would go to Comic Con if had those days off at my job. Next year I'll see about attending though, I am sure that con would be fun.

Your co-workers sound look mine, except for maybe three people. Ironically they are all older than I am as well.

But what made me enjoy this week's RTO most was the review of Kujibiki Unbalance (Luck Unbalance). Although I accidently forgot the fact I was reading Right Turn Only instead of The Click, the review was interesting.

Next time I am at Borders, I am going to read that manga.

Enjoy Comic Con Carlos, hopefully you'll give details next week perhaps?

Thank you Carlos, always a plesure to read your article.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I personally found the first two hunts in Gantz to be so-so and thought it "got good" with the Buddhist Temple hunt (which I think will start around volume 5). But if you are expecting depth to suddenly appear... you'll probably be disappointed. It is what it is (glorious violence with some sex and nudity for good measure) and I think it does a pretty good job at that.

I occasionally think it verges on being a deliciously cantankerous condemnation of modern youth, but that's about the only depth you can really ascribe to it. But few books come close to it in the trashy excess department.

So, it's like Battle Royale?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, it's like Battle Royale?

Yeah except with more depraved main characters. but I love the anime theme song.
Angel_White_Wings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Quote:
Strawberry Shake Sweet might just be the "Gravitation" of the shoujo-ai genre.
I haven't read strawberry sweet shake and I don't like yuri or shoujo-ai but I'm glad there is one title that actually has some substance for the fans that do like it. While I'm not much of a shounen-ai fan either I did see gravitation because of all the hype (and a few obsessed friends) but they didn't really proclaim that they were gay either right? Yuki was a play boy and probably had been with every fan girl in tokyo by the time he met shuichi. Shuichi himself had been known to date girls and it was obvious that the rest of the cast liked men and women. I think it's just one of those things they do. "We can make a BL/GL title but they will never out right say I like girls or I like guys"[/code]

Actually, both of the main characters in the Gravitation manga admit to being homosexual.

I'm a huge fan of that series, though the anime failed - in my opinion - compared to the manga. So much of the story and character development and even characters themselves were chopped out of the anime. So, I take my information from the manga.

Strawberry Shake Sweet has got me interested from the review itself. Good job on hooking me. xD
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Angel_White_Wings wrote:
Actually, both of the main characters in the Gravitation manga admit to being homosexual.

I don't think I would classify Yuki as homosexual (given the amount of relationships he's had with women), but I believe that Shuichi identifies himself that way (or at very least he should). At very least, the back cover blurbs for the English manga do it Anime hyper (and those blurbs are so horribly hilarious).
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
and it doesn't take place in some all-girl Catholic school gives Strawberry Shake Sweet a unique flavor for the yuri genre.

Yeah, the idol business is an interesting -- although not too surprising -- place for yuri relationships to crop up. Reminds me of people of who write yuri fanfics about Morning Musume and such (yes there are such things, and it is not too far-fetched anyway to theorize that when you have that many girls hanging around each other all the time things are going to start happening).

Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:
Heh, they played that "Over the Future" from Karen's Girls at Anime Expo during the wait for the Jyukai feat. Yoko Ishida concert. Just watching the video made me feel like I had a lolicon DX (Which I don't... ...Well, anyway, we don't talk about that.) ...The song is insanely cute though.

LOL, I'm sure whoever was running the programming of that concert got an evil laugh out of subjecting hundreds of people to Karen Girl's.

Ayami Mutou (middle girl) is sooo freaking cute though. Embarassed

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Enjoy Comic Con Carlo, hopefully you'll give details next week perhaps?

fixed

If you wish to address me by name at least make the effort to get it right Crying or Very sad

To get your Comic-Con fix, I'll be doing some of the panel write-ups for the ANN Comic-Con feature. Plus I will be unofficially Twittering away in real-time at the events, which should be an interesting experiment.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I picked up REAL at Waldens over the weekend. They had a ton of copies for some reason. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

I'll definitely pick up Shirley since Emma is one of my favorite series. It's a single volume right? I'm confused since it said "volume 1" on the cover at the store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Finally, there's Gantz. If there's any word to describe the first volume, it's engrossing. (Sorry, I couldn't resist making another pun. Anime smile + sweatdrop) It feels funny saying this, but I enjoyed it. It got completely sucked in my the plot and the cliffhanger ending allowed the series to get its hooks in me. I've already ordered volumes 2 and 3.

That's the thing about GANTZ. It doesn't feel too special in the beginning, but it's suspenseful enough that it keeps you buying it until it gains enough momentum to survive on its superb non-stop action.

At some point later, spoiler[when they're leaping across skyscrapers and swing ridiculously long katanas], it really feels almost like "The Matrix" in terms of its psychotic action sequences combined with its attempts at philosophical sci-fi depth. I own some Japanese volumes and I can literally flip through quite a few pages sometimes before coming to a single dialogue balloon. That's how action based this becomes.

The only other series I read more pathologically than this was Death Note.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I read Gantz until the end of the Temple arc, where it really annoyed me by spoiler[offing the entire cast except the bland main character. There was amounts of unresolved plot with the others, but it just went and wiped out everything. Oku ran out of ideas, did he?] Maybe it "gets better", but that whole thing left me really bitter and exceded what I was willing to be subjected to as a reader.

Shows-within-shows usually shouldn't be given their own shot in the spotlight. It's not what they're designed for. Kujibiki Unbalance's strict adherance to unspired cliches is funny when we're watching the Genshiken crew gush over it anyway, but alone?

I don't think the fact that the girls don't spend all their time fawing over the main character is really much of a asset. That just makes it like a slightly older example of the harem genre (like late '90's) rather than the much creepier current examples.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
@russ869: That's good to hear. I enjoy reading manga that have so much action that you can just fly through a volume. What you said in the spoiler tags sounds like a lot of fun as well. I cannot wait to get to that part of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3