• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's Kind of a FUNi Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Fairy Tail on TV? No way. There's way too much fanservice and bouncing boobs/nudity/forced skimpy outfits to really be salvageable on a kid's network like Cartoon Network, Disney, or Nickelodeon. I doubt they'd pick it up. That's ultimately the problem. Censorship has cracked down on television, so good luck getting an anime on there without it being torn to pieces.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I can see fairy tail on tv, but it would have to be on adult swim if they want to pull it off. They might censor a bit but hell it couldn't be as bad card captors or one piece

Fairy Tail has already a 2 two episode preview on the FUNimation Channel. More will be airing in 2012.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
lheiskell wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Will Rainbow get a Blu-ray/DVD release? Just answer yes or no!

We did not acquire those rights, so no- not from us. As stated in the interview, not all 100% of our simulcasts will be picked up as DVD/Blu-ray.

Do you mind giving a concrete 'no' to Tatami Galaxy as well at this point? I'm happy that y'all at least gave it a shot. But I would much rather know now then continue waiting in wonder (particularly from a comment on ANNCast earlier about there being a chance it or House of Five Leaves could be released). Plus, I could then go ahead and get Siren Visual's release and finally own it.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Dammit... alright then.. At least I know now. The best show of 2010 gets the Shaft. Damn Sad

Get Media Blasters on next! I wanna know where my Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is at!

Last edited by Mario1234567 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lance claims to want a smart sci-fi, so I'm still perplexed as to how Time of Eve stays unlicensed. That's pretty much the top smart sci-fi show (that is still widely marketable) that I know of. Or even Tatami Galaxy, which FUNi streamed online, would be really nice to own. No surprise that DBZ is still their top selling franchise, lol.

A-kon is awful. Just awful. I loved it when I went years ago, but now they don't even try to bring in international guests.

Time of Eve is not an issue of the North American industry not wanting it, but it might be coming to the US via diffrent route.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Lance claims to want a smart sci-fi, so I'm still perplexed as to how Time of Eve stays unlicensed.

I'm going to say it's because about 10% of fans would buy it, making it a very risky title to license. I concur it's a great series, but I can't help but feel those who appreciate it are those who can enjoy Blade Runner while everyone else says "Star Wars was better. At least it had action."
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Fairy Tail has already a 2 two episode preview on the FUNimation Channel. More will be airing in 2012.

I suppose I should have specificed besides an anime channel like Funimation Channel.
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Dammit... alright then.. At least I know now. The best show of 2010 gets the Shaft. Damn Sad
There, you got your answer. Now what show are you going to incessantly pester company reps about next?

I was very happy to hear that both Lain and Black Lagoon will be getting a Blu-Ray release. This also makes me hopeful for a Blu-Ray release of Texhnolyze and Gankutsuou. Funi has a large selection of upcoming titles that I plan on getting so it's good to hear home video release are pretty solid.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Everybody I know still uses and prefers DVD so it's not like I could give the blu-ray copies away.

IMO it makes sense to separate the formats if it's a long running series and someday there will be a re-release with more episodes included

e.g. Fairy Tail 24 episode sets (kind of like the current 26 episode One Piece sets)

I like Fairy Tail but I'd rather have larger DVD-only box sets, instead of combo packs with less episodes and with blu-rays I'll never use. I'm sure there are those who want a larger blu-ray only box sets too.

Also if it's a title that you know will sell well (e.g. Sekirei: Pure Engagement), why not eventually re-release it on separate formats?

Funimation never had problems in the past milking a series for all it's worth before

- first release: 12-13 episodes half sets
- second release: 24-26 episode sets, complete series
- third release (or 2nd if it's only a 12-13 episode series): S.A.V.E. or Anime Classic (cheaper)

Now Funimation doesn't want to have an excuse for an additional re-release for combo pack titles? (complete DVD only, complete Blu-ray only) Confused

I don't see anime combo packs being a long term plan, none of the other Region 1 anime companies are doing it (Sentai, Media Blasters).

It works for movie home video market but not television.

As for what 5D DVD is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5D_DVD

If I'm reading things correctly it would be backwards-compatible with DVD players. If it does indeed have a higher disc capacity, then this combo pack strategy is a waste since this new format is going to make blu-ray obsolete.

I guess one benefit of the new Funimation Elite Video Subscription service is that I could (legally) watch the shows I like online that I refuse to buy the combo pack for. Though Funimation is getting less money from me this way.

$40-$50 for a DVD (I buy about 10 anime from Funimation per year)

Money I could've used on anime in 2012: $400-$500

Money I would spend on EVS: $96 (12 months x $8)

Money Funimation now doesn't get from me because all 2012 releases will be combo packs:
$300-$400

Funimation loses quite a bit here. Their loss.

Nobody needs 2 copies of a show. You either already watch your anime primarily on blu-ray only or DVD only. The only reason you want an extra copy is greed.

I miss having choices and opinions...

Hope they reconsider combo packs.
I'll continue waiting patiently for separate format releases for the Funimation titles I want to own.

Last edited by FrameFreeze100 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
There, you got your answer. Now what show are you going to incessantly pester company reps about next?

I was very happy to hear that both Lain and Black Lagoon will be getting a Blu-Ray release. This also makes me hopeful for a Blu-Ray release of Texhnolyze and Gankutsuou. Funi has a large selection of upcoming titles that I plan on getting so it's good to hear home video release are pretty solid.

You tryin to start something? Its been along time dude but I still got it. I am not gonna bother them about anything. Because I never thought I'd say this but Sentai Filmworks is getting all the good stuff and I keep tabs on them more. They are dubbing and Subbing the right stuff and as of now there getting more of my Money than anyone. All I want from FUNimation is Sengoku Basara season 2 and the Sengoku Basara movie (Which we may not get -_-) And the Phantom Blu-ray..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I think the question about getting live-action Moyashimon and not the anime was a complaint about why you picked up only the crappy adaptation and missed the good one. At least, that's what I would have asked had I remembered I wanted to.
skyreno4

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Dammit... alright then.. At least I know now. All I want from FUNimation is Sengoku Basara season 2 and the Sengoku Basara movie (Which we may not get -_-) And the Phantom Blu-ray..

Im waiting for sengoku basara 2 and movie also, right now is in Amazon Second Part ready for preorder, has cover too

http://www.amazon.com/Sengoku-Basara-Samurai-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B0069556SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322866702&sr=8-1
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
The Count wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

You tryin to start something? Its been along time dude but I still got it. I am not gonna bother them about anything. Because I never thought I'd say this but Sentai Filmworks is getting all the good stuff and I keep tabs on them more. They are dubbing and Subbing the right stuff and as of now there getting more of my Money than anyone. All I want from FUNimation is Sengoku Basara season 2 and the Sengoku Basara movie (Which we may not get -_-) And the Phantom Blu-ray..
No, no. Not try to start anything. I Just find it annoying when I view different threads and I always see you demanding an answer to the same question.

BTW, considering your avatar aren't you excited about Index? And I believe you also wanted Shana. Funi has way more unreleased titles than any other company and a good variety too, I'm willing to bet there's more than what you listed that you'd like in their catalog.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It's awesome that the roadblocks around the Geneon titles are getting cleared away. ^^ Hopefully that means I'll be able to complete my Tenchi collection sometime in the not-so-distant future (and deal with my brother's consistent begging of getting me to watch Index and Railgun).
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
@The Count@

Dude I can't wait 100 more years for index to come out. Also I don't change my Avatat because I don't feel like looking for a picture small enough to put there. I stole that Avatar from someone on this site when I signed up (Or when I officially started posting here) I don't even notice it, but Seriously FUNimation is Failing me these days. I don't care about all the stuff they license because we gotta wait millions of years to actually buy them.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
lheiskell wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Will Rainbow get a Blu-ray/DVD release? Just answer yes or no!

We did not acquire those rights, so no- not from us. As stated in the interview, not all 100% of our simulcasts will be picked up as DVD/Blu-ray.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Strateegery Guy

care to answer this one question then?? Will Aria of the Scarlet Ammo or Okamisan get a release here on physical media?

I am still waiting for the animes that was licensed last year like "Toaru Kagaku no Railgun" and Toaru Majutsu no Index, also "Shakugan no Shana" season 2, OVAs, & movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6