• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 - Bandai Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
braves wrote:
Panda Man wrote:
In the post, it said Gurren Lagann's Bilingual release was coming in 2009. I thought a week or 2 ago, they said it got moved up to November of this year. Is what is in the post true or is November true?

They said they were going to release it in November if they finished the dub in time. It looks like they couldn't do so.

But...The whole series is airing dubbed on SciFi. The dub will be finished before November.

Patz wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Why have they made another dub of Innocence? Was the existing one not good enough?

They basically said that they felt the voice actors they use for the roles are better so they decided to redub it. So basically yeah lol

Wait wait wait wait wait wait what? Bandai Entertainment's not going to be using the Stand Alone Complex dub actors on their release of Innocence? Is that what I'm hearing?

You know to be completely honest they guy was kind of hard to understand what he was saying at that point so i could have gotten it wrong but that is what it sounded like. Just saying don't be surprised if I am wrong at that point.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I walked away Saturday night with the LS shirt, a Gundam shirt, and that Scrapped Princess LE vol4 (for answering a trivia question). The surprise panel was probably one of the weirdest industry panels I've ever been to.

But then again, when Hironobu Kageyama tells you to put on a serafuku and dance, you really have no say in the matter.
Mevious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I walked away Saturday night with the LS shirt, a Gundam shirt, and that Scrapped Princess LE vol4 (for answering a trivia question). The surprise panel was probably one of the weirdest industry panels I've ever been to.

But then again, when Hironobu Kageyama tells you to put on a serafuku and dance, you really have no say in the matter.

JAM Project was a smokescreen!
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn, CG R2 is gonna air immediately following the ending of season one on Adult Swim?

Awesome. Really awesome. I mean... I really DIDN'T expect this to happen but... Wow, just a really good call.

And the core drill replica will definitely be a selling point for me for the bilingual version of Gurren Lagann. I'll hold off on the sub only releases for now...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait what? Bandai Entertainment's not going to be using the Stand Alone Complex dub actors on their release of Innocence? Is that what I'm hearing?

The Stand-Alone Complex cast will be dubbing the movie, but it's going to be a brand-new dub, not the one used for the R2 release of the movie.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
I'd like to point out that the Silent Mobius films were not done in the 1980's. The first film was released in 1991 and the second was released in 1992. The manga didn't even start in the 80's, but also in 1991. Hate to nitpick, honestly, just wanted to point out the error.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Ever notice on sitcoms where someone is drinking a Coke but covering the logo so it can't be read by the viewer? It's the same kind of thing, as I understand it. It avoids the question of product placement, TM violations, etc. In Hayate, each episode was loaded with pop culture (mostly anime and manga) references, and the bleeps themselves were something of a running gag.

It's a good show, and I'm really looking forward to the R1 release. What I'd really like to see is an optional popup-video-style notes feature similar to the Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi DVDs, which were also loaded with pop culture jokes (some pretty dang obscure).
Hayate was totaly unwatchable in it's TV form and if that Censorgoblin is any where to be found in the DVDs I swear to god that I'll disown it like 4chan disowned the Tsukihime anime.

It's not like TV Tokyo has anything against violence and such in the show, one only needs to see Bleach to understand that. The editing that was done on Hayate took what was, in effect, a comedy show about anime and such and turned it into a 4kids abortion of a show before Al Khan even had a chance to get it!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
It's not like TV Tokyo has anything against violence and such in the show, one only needs to see Bleach to understand that. The editing that was done on Hayate took what was, in effect, a comedy show about anime and such and turned it into a 4kids abortion of a show before Al Khan even had a chance to get it!

I was pretty much under the impression that the censorgoblin was essentially part of the show. There were occasions when it censored things that obviously didn't need to be censored at all. It was, in fact, a parody of censorship (kind of like what Cromartie High School did as well). Maybe if you didn't realize that, you wouldn't have liked the show without it, either.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I was pretty much under the impression that the censorgoblin was essentially part of the show. There were occasions when it censored things that obviously didn't need to be censored at all. It was, in fact, a parody of censorship (kind of like what Cromartie High School did as well). Maybe if you didn't realize that, you wouldn't have liked the show without it, either.
I enjoyed the manga. The manga had zero censorship (except when viz doesn't want to dole out the money to say, sony and hence "Sony Playstaion 5" is rendered as "S**y P***S****** 5" or something simmilar) and it had a fair whack of violence and fanservice to boot but nothing that Japan hasn't aired a million times before.

The censorgoblin (and belvive me that's a false name I use in polite company) is at worst a tool to render a show's tv broadcast unwatchable and a cheap marketing ploy to make people go out and buy the dvds (In japan, god help them) and at best a "joke" that isn't realy funny.

I meen, wouldn't it be HALEIROUS if every time in, say, Haruhi, any shot of Mikuru in a compromising position and/or every impact of the Nagato fight scene was censored by a huge blast-off goblin with a sign saying "CAN@T SEE THIS!" or simmilar? Realy?! HALERIOUS ISN@T IT?!

Censorship is not a joke. It's serious gosh darn business.

Except when it meens people expliode into showers of Coins instead of blood in No More Heroes, because that is made of win, awesome and River City Ransom.

Edit: and before anyone asks, any scene in an anime that had no intent to show the offending scene what so ever (such as when the entire male student facilty lost thier crap and thier clothes in Seto No Hanayome's sing off episode or any time anyone's privates are covered Auston Powers style or even the entire broadcast of Excell Saga episode 26) does not fall under my ire. Those are obviously jokes that are blatently obvious.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Now I wish I didn't go to the masquerade and went to this instead.
james039

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
stuff

Umm, voluntary censorship-kun was a running gag in Hayate-no Gotoku. He was present in the broadcast, present on the R2 DVD's and most definitely WILL be present on the US DVD's, unless they somehow go to the bother of re-animating all those scenes.

I would be more upset if they went to the bother to get rid of him for the US release, the version we get in the US should be equivalent to the Japan DVD versions, which featured an option to bleep or not bleep certain Japanese pop-culture references, and that's about it, in terms of 'censorship'.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
stuff

Umm, voluntary censorship-kun was a running gag in Hayate-no Gotoku. He was present in the broadcast, present on the R2 DVD's and most definitely WILL be present on the US DVD's, unless they somehow go to the bother of re-animating all those scenes.
Ok, fair enoguh, I was mistaken. Hayate the Combat Buttler is the worst show of 2007.

Disregard whatever Loli-pedo nonsence was on in 2007, that doesn't even compare to a show that plays teh same damned joke over and over again.

Christ, why did Bandi even bother with this show?! They would of been better going with Kodomo No Jikan!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2