• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi's Kyoto Animation to Produce Tonari no 801-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
law240

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

It's fine if it's bizzare but...

KyoAni has many other things it should focus on... Haruhi, the Key titles and Full Metal Panic.

And to the person who made the comment about Key being crap, just... Please shut up. You don't like it, that's fine. But there are a decent portion of anime fans who love the melodrama in their series. It's not crap, it's a series of works YOU DON'T LIKE.

This series just is too off from what KyoAni has been doing already. I know, we're supposed to venture outside our comfort zone but there is one primary thing I'm comfortable with this animation group and that is their quality of work. Be it the well written scripts for Lucky Star (Again, not crap, just not to your liking) or the high end glossy appearances given to the Key/Visual Arts animes, this just doesn't seem high quality.

...But most importantly, just... Put out Haruhi 2 already. The plot actually will get good once you've aired it, please, for the love of god, JUST FREAKING FINISH AND AIR IT ALREADY.

And this is coming from a non-rabid fan of the show. I just wanna see it done already.

Never said anything was "crap" I am just upset about how you all are reacting to the news of new an anime that isn't the usual otaku bait (though that's yet to be confirmed) anyhow I really hate when new ideas are trounced by comments like this.

How I see it, you all are behaving like children who love pizza and chicken nuggets for dinner but the night your mom serves you something different you throw a huge whinny fit before you even taste damn thing and i really dislike that kind narrow attitude.

Last edited by law240 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
darcerin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
law240 wrote:
IT's ANIME GODDAMN IT! it's suppose to be strange and bizarre ARRGGHH!!!

First of all, was the language really necessary?

Second of all, I don't see it as strange and bizarre, I find it a pathetic attempt at making otaku look even worse now than they did before, and worse yet, trying to make it funny. We turn into "monsters" at the thoughts or sights of yaoi? We female otaku are obsessed with yaoi have just as obsessed otaku boyfriends? We're already getting painted in a bad light as it is just with the insanity going on in real life with some threatening people's lives with grenades, now we're being turned into rabid obsessed monsters?

I'm sorry, but I like well-written anime that has decent source material to base itself of. I don't see this happening with this show. If I'm wrong about this series when it comes out, fine, I'll rescind my indignation. But right now I'm disappointed in both the writer of the manga for the manga and KyoAni for making an anime out of it.
rg4619

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I find it a pathetic attempt at making otaku look even worse now than they did before, and worse yet, trying to make it funny. We turn into "monsters" at the thoughts or sights of yaoi? We female otaku are obsessed with yaoi have just as obsessed otaku boyfriends? We're already getting painted in a bad light as it is just with the insanity going on in real life with some threatening people's lives with grenades, now we're being turned into rabid obsessed monsters?

Self-deprecation (largely to create the sense that a character is worse than the viewer himself/herself) is a ubiquitous aspect of otaku entertainment, so I don't really see the big fuss. This is pure otaku fodder, so it's right up KyoAni's alley.
Punynari

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Kind of disappointed its not Haruhi, Full Metal Panic, or something more up my alley.

I'm sure this show will probably have no trouble selling though (probably with the female base mostly). Heres hoping for the above shows next year some time.
skyler25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:03 pm Reply with quote
law240 wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

It's fine if it's bizzare but...

KyoAni has many other things it should focus on... Haruhi, the Key titles and Full Metal Panic.

And to the person who made the comment about Key being crap, just... Please shut up. You don't like it, that's fine. But there are a decent portion of anime fans who love the melodrama in their series. It's not crap, it's a series of works YOU DON'T LIKE.

This series just is too off from what KyoAni has been doing already. I know, we're supposed to venture outside our comfort zone but there is one primary thing I'm comfortable with this animation group and that is their quality of work. Be it the well written scripts for Lucky Star (Again, not crap, just not to your liking) or the high end glossy appearances given to the Key/Visual Arts animes, this just doesn't seem high quality.

...But most importantly, just... Put out Haruhi 2 already. The plot actually will get good once you've aired it, please, for the love of god, JUST FREAKING FINISH AND AIR IT ALREADY.

And this is coming from a non-rabid fan of the show. I just wanna see it done already.

Never said anything was "crap" I am just upset about how you all are reacting to the news of new an anime that isn't the usual otaku bait (though that's yet to be confirmed) anyhow I really hate when new ideas are trounced by comments like this.

How I see it, you all are behaving like children who love pizza and chicken nuggets for dinner but the night your mom serves you something different you throw a huge whinny fit before you even taste damn thing and i really dislike that kind narrow attitude.

I think the "It's not crap" thing was aimed at walw6pK4Alo.

Also, I think most people are upset/annoyed not because this is something different, but because they want KyoAni to finish what it started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Quote:
I find it a pathetic attempt at making otaku look even worse now than they did before, and worse yet, trying to make it funny. We turn into "monsters" at the thoughts or sights of yaoi? We female otaku are obsessed with yaoi have just as obsessed otaku boyfriends? We're already getting painted in a bad light as it is just with the insanity going on in real life with some threatening people's lives with grenades, now we're being turned into rabid obsessed monsters?

Self-deprecation (largely to create the sense that a character is worse than the viewer himself/herself) is a ubiquitous aspect of otaku entertainment, so I don't really see the big fuss. This is pure otaku fodder, so it's right up KyoAni's alley.

Exactly. I've noticed that Kyoani likes to make the otaku feel proud about themelves. They have characters in their adaptations like Konata Izumi and Suzumiya Haruhi who are portrayed as a stereotypical otaku in almost every way, but also cater to otaku viewers at the same time with stock fetishes like Konata's loli appearance and frequent otaku friendly quotations and Haruhi's tsundere nature and tendency to grope and cosplay and work the sex appeal.

When you consider that the average otaku in reality would certainly never resemble Haruhi or Konata you start to understand that part of Kyoani's formula is to create shows for otaku, about otaku wherein their wildest fantasies can also be realized as well. It's a very safe (about as much as you can get), but nonetheless profitable formula.

That's why I think I can sort of predict what this show will be like. The main character will be very moe, expressive and vocal about her Yaoi fetish (and probably be voiced by Aya Hirano because duh..... Confused ) trumpeting the many virtues she believes the concept has for laughs and such. That will probably make up a major part of the comedy, but she'll probably also have the standard friend crowd who finds her hobby disturbing, but hangs with and likes her nonetheless and the boyfriend will probably be a lot like Kyon in some ways, but not nearly as sarcastic. More exasperated and desperate for a little more attention and sanity from the lead. That should make up the other aspect of the shows comedy and there's also a strong chance the boyfriend will be voiced by Sugita Tomokazu because....duh....
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, this was unexpected. Still, if it's an '09 title there is a chance we'll be getting Haruhi 2 before production in it begins! Given that Haruhi 2 airs in the Winter or something.

Also, has KyoAni ever said they were going to make more FMP? Ever? Unlike the promise of "The Mysterious Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "Clannad: After Story", there's no saying if the studio has any intentions whatsoever to continue the franchise at all. Haruhi 2 has been "we're workin' on it" for ages now so I can understand the impatience there, but since no one's said anything (that I know of) about more KyoAni-FMP I don't think that's really an issue.

Personally, I'm glad that KyoAni is spreading out to new projects instead of pulling a TYPE-MOON and only doing continuations of its old stuff. (Though the KEY adaptations aren't exactly "continuations" per se.)
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not seeing how this is Kyoani branching out into something different in any significant way. While technically it's a new franchise for them, it's still basically the same kind of show they've been known for doing since.....pretty much ever. I think people might also need to start considering that Full Metal Panic does not fit into Kyoani's current modus operandi anymore.

You really only need to look at how well this otaku friendly campaign has been going for them to see that it isn't even really viable for them to go back to Full Metal Panic. It's not in demand from them and they don't need it. KEY and Otaku friendly 4Koma are in demand from them and Kyoani is the kind of company that likes to give the people what they want. Besides the price is certainly right.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni...

...My FMP...

...Please... Crying or Very sad
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Please tell me I'm wrong about this sounding like the stupidest premise ever for a manga or anime?

You're wrong. Compared to the new manga from Ohba/Obata, Bakuman, or pretty much any other Jump manga, this is pure genius.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even like Haruhi that much, but it's ending felt very empty because it, well, wasn't an ending. They're waiting way too long to make the second season. I think general interest is going to start waning soon.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Though I'm one of many who are waiting for Haruhi 2, this sounds like it could be fun, or at least cute. I'm rather curious about how Kyoto Animation is going to adapt a shojo manga, since most of their shows lean towards the seinen genre.
brittiney360

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I don't know if I like the sound of this becoming an anime. From what I saw from the drama, it doesn't really seem like it has that much material to stretch out for a series. I did enjoy it though, so I'll have to check this out when it's released.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
skyler25 wrote:
darcerin wrote:
Please tell me I'm wrong about this sounding like the stupidest premise ever for a manga or anime?

Well, there have been worse- or, wait, have there?

Kyoto Animation has turned out some pretty good stuff... sounds like this one will be a little... different.

EDIT: Does that green furry whatever remind anyone of Gremlins? Anime hyper

Yes....yes it does.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
law240 wrote:

...What?

This is like the ultimate in otaku bait. It's about a yaoi fangirl and her otaku boyfriend for god's sake. If we could throw in a moe magical girl it would be a perfect storm of almost everything embarrassing, disdainful, and generally "otaku" there is to find in anime and its subculture.

And this is anything but "different" by KyoAni standards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4