• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Unknown Pleasures

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Hopefully Tree of Tranquility will make up for the crap bomb that was Island of Happiness with it's broken and hard to manage control scheme.

I must disagree... the control scheme is not as bad as people say. I have the game (and up to 60% of the island done) and while at first the control's are a bit off and it's not as tight as Phantom Hourglass. I picked up on it pretty quicky, would I like the normal controls, sure I would but just because the control's are different doesn't mean it's bad.

But why change what isn't broken? Sure game series should evolve when entering their upgraded incarnations, but seriously, the control scheme of the portable HM games were good. They flowed quickly, targeting wasn't a problem and it was just fluid.

On another note, Tree of Tranquility is delayed, AGAIN. Coming out October second. Gotta love Natsume and their internal decisions.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
im still waiting for Namco to bring back the weapon break system in SoulEdge/SoulBlade (same game btw). it was a great system that they took out and never brought back. there were some charecters that you wanted their weapons to break cause they were better without it, Taki anyone?

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the weapon breaks, though I think they might have only done that because something similar was being done in the other big weapons fighter of the time, Samurai Shodown, and they wanted to be competitive and show they could do everything 2D could do only better. Not really sure why they didn't keep it for SoulCalibur.

I think I could have been a bit more forgiving of SCIV if it just had an adventure/quest/RPG mode so that it didn't feel like a simple arcade port with minimum extra features (I REALLY hate the tower).

And yeah, Soul Edge and Soul Blade are the same games, but ones arcade and ones PSX game with more features so I count them separately.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyesage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
For one thing, that screenshot of XIII is just really really awesome.

For another thing, its always nice to see XII fans, though I personally like the other games that I have played as well (I think that X is beautiful, ok, and that all their games are good). I am really excited for XIII because I think that their games continuously improve in terms of storyline and involvement--not to mention the sheer prettiness?

But still, anime-fantasy? I don't really see that in the ones that I've played...(ok, so that was just X and III, which shouldn't count because it was a freaking DS port Neutral)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
I loved the hell out of Final Fantasy XII for several reasons, and one of them was its habit of toning down the anime-fantasy nonsense that permeates Final Fantasy games.

Whatever you say, Big Guy. Rolling Eyes

I didn't really find Vaan that annoying, but I'll certainly agree with the rest of that. XII's was just so...empty. The only character with any personality was Balthier. Maybe if he had been the main character things would have been a lot better. (Perhaps with Dr. Cid who showed potential as the main antagonist). However, they both got relegated to supporting roles in favor of much more bland characters and villans. Also as your link illustrated, the gameplay was just so bloody boring. All you had to do was set everyone to attack the leaders target, and a couple people with auto-heal. Then just walk to the next area stopping to wait while your party beats a hundred identical enemies to death, but better weapons, repeat. Anime nonsense or not, XII was just not a fun game to play.
Mevious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about that anime fantasy line, but FFXII is my favorite game in the series. The world was a lot of fun to explore and experience, the characters were actually likable (the only other cast I liked was FFVI), and the god forsaken random battles were gone. My favorite part of RPGs are the story and locales, so the fact that I didn't have to trudge across a crap-ton of enemies just to have some fun was nice as well. I'm a little sad that Matsuno and whoever else was in charge of XII is gone. Now I feel like I'm going back to the VII-X stuff, which I was mostly bored by, though VIII had a cool world.

That Namco Fighting Game set would be cool to get for Tekken Tag Tournament, but you can still find that used for real cheap.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I have a friend who always loved the Camelot series of Shining games, and he and many other fans do not necessarily dislike the action-style series of Shining games released by Sega. They just added something new to the mix. Besides if Shining Feather (which looks like a mix of the Camelot strategy series mixed with a 2D Tales battle system) is any indication of going back to the roots of the series, I don't think fans won't have to complain much.

If you ask me though, I'm just part of the crowd that disliked FF12 altogether. It failed for me, that's all. And when you say anime-fantasy nonsense, did you mean the premise of the plot?
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
y'know what's really disappointed me about the DQ remakes? the fact that they've renamed the attack spells from what was used on the NES. seriously, 'HURT' and 'HURTMORE' are THE greatest attack spell names ever.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
TJ: They're using the Japanese names. The NES versions used the Westernized names. Though I will agree that Erdrick sounds cooler than Roto...Plus, the Old English really got me into the setting, even if it's the source of ridicule on other websites.
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
This is why Final Fantasy XII is the best RPG ever. Great art always enrages the narrow-minded.

GATSU wrote:
Technically, it's 12 years, if I'm not mistaken.

Really? Every credible source I can find says that the first Dance Dance Revolution was released in 1998. This anniversary celebration is Konami's idea, anyway, so I assume they're measuring 10 years somehow.

Emerje wrote:
So, when do we get an Extra Lives for Tech Romancer, easily one of the most enjoyable and highly regarded yet under appreciated games on the Dreamcast?

I'm not sure if I want to go straight for Tech Romancer or first cover Cyberbots and Armored Warriors, Capcom's two tributes to Gundam. As much as I like Tech Romancer, Cyberbots was robbed of its rightful acclaim to an even greater degree; its home version was never released in America, and the U.S. arcade game barely made it past location testing.

TJ_Kat wrote:
seriously, 'HURT' and 'HURTMORE' are THE greatest attack spell names ever.

Hey, what about the Phantasy Star series, where every spell has a name like GIFOI, NARES or RYUKA? I want an RPG to teach me a confusing, made-up language, dammit.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
todd: Yeah, you seem to be right about DDR, but I could swear importers were talkin' about it around the same time as Parappa...But then I guess it's since they were released so close together. Damn. But maybe I'm confusing it with the years of some of the songs... Oh, well...
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I loved the hell out of Final Fantasy XII for several reasons, and one of them was its habit of toning down the anime-fantasy nonsense that permeates Final Fantasy games.

Honestly, I don't know what you're getting at with this line. Anime flair has always been a fond part of the Final Fantasy series, and I fail to see how down-toning it in XII made the game any better.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Quote:

Honestly, I don't know what you're getting at with this line. Anime flair has always been a fond part of the Final Fantasy series, and I fail to see how down-toning it in XII made the game any better.

There's a difference between anime-influenced/nuanced design, and the full out 'David Bowie meets Mad Max' pastel laden, androgynous assault some JRPG's give you. Maybe it's a point of contention that changes with time, as I don't really remember being too put off by it in days of yore, but as much as I'm a fan of JRPG's I'm not thrilled if the designs/art brings to mind an arthouse off-Broadway production gone wrong. This is usually accented by cringe-inducing 'moody teen' brand plotting, and world famous over-wrought dialogue.

That's one of the aspects that made FFXII stand-out to me, it's avoidance of the above formula. I certainly wouldn't elevate it to high art, but for a video-game, it's story turn with stock 'imperial bad guys' who turned out to be working towards a sympathetic goal and were aware/remorseful of the negative consequences of their actions was refreshing. The story, like the gameplay model, was dialed-down considering the genre, but I personally found it more refreshing than boring on both counts.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
This is why Final Fantasy XII is the best RPG ever. Great art always enrages the narrow-minded.

I love Mega64, their Dead Rising skit never fails to crack me up.

Hard to believe Pokemon and DDR are the same age, Pokemon feels so much older to me. I wind up getting every PS2 mix (even the tedious to unlock songs Supernova), both for exercise and because DDR is like Tetris is me, you just keep returning to it to play something fun and familiar. The song list for the first "Hottest Party" however was terrible. The announcer sounded way to bored while saying the line "welcome to....the hottest party." The arcade version Supernova 2 features a character song and opening animation from Gurren Lagann, which I would enjoy playing more if I didn't have the entire Jersey Shore watching my rear while I played.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2