• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CG Astro Boy Film Teaser to Be Made Public This Month

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have to agree with that, though Speed Racer was still embarrsing to the orginal series

lulz. You can't really be serious, can you? The original series was utterly ridiculous to the core; it was impossible to "embarrass" it because there was no dignity there to begin with. It was a goofy, cheesy cartoon from the beginning, and the movie kept with that theme.

It always cracks me up to see people act like Speed Racer was this hallowed source material that we should all revere, and then bash on the movie for being intentionally cheesy and over the top. Rolling Eyes
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Some of you seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill with this jacket thing. There have been several screenshots and he is shirtless in all of them. They'll probaly have an Astro-going-to-school scene. He wears clothes when he goes to school, so that image is probably taken from a scene like that.

I was a little disappointed when I heard the director would be the director of Flushed Away, but I love Astro's new look, they have some good actors, and I love Astro Boy in general so I'm looking forward to it. Astro Boy is for kids, so if it's at the very least a good kid's movie, that's as true to Osamu Tezuka as it has to be.

LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with that, though Speed Racer was still embarrsing to the orginal series

lulz. You can't really be serious, can you? The original series was utterly ridiculous to the core; it was impossible to "embarrass" it because there was no dignity there to begin with. It was a goofy, cheesy cartoon from the beginning, and the movie kept with that theme.

It always cracks me up to see people act like Speed Racer was this hallowed source material that we should all revere, and then bash on the movie for being intentionally cheesy and over the top. Rolling Eyes

Quote for truth! It was so true to the spirit of the original [img]because[/img] of all the silly moments!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Prometheus: Actually, the problem with the Speed Racer movie is they took the source material too seriously, hence the unnecessary running time and boring conversations about corporate governance.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:45 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Prometheus: Actually, the problem with the Speed Racer movie is they took the source material too seriously, hence the unnecessary running time and boring conversations about corporate governance.

It's a movie; you have to have some form of exposition to show motivation for the characters. You can't just say "Here's this guy and he races cars so watch this movie because it's cool".

It's not like they had 45 minutes of Matrix-style philosophizing. They were simply building up a story, which wasn't any more serious or ridiculous than anything the original show ever did.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Prometheus:
Quote:
It's a movie; you have to have some form of exposition to show motivation for the characters. You can't just say "Here's this guy and he races cars so watch this movie because it's cool".

It worked for The Fast and The Furious. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
It's not like they had 45 minutes of Matrix-style philosophizing.

Actually, that's exactly what it was, which is why it sucked so horribly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't know what movie you were watching, GATSU, but it was clear that they weren't taking the source material seriously at all, which was good, because there was nothing to take seriously to begin with. Some two-dimensional greedy corporation is just the type of thing they would have in the show. The entire thing was almost entirely like the show, but with amped up neon visuals. It was a totally tongue-in-cheek fun romp. It was an excellent flick that only people who thought it was going to be serious were dissatisfied with.

The movie was exactly what the show was, incredibly stupid, but fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
Some two-dimensional greedy corporation is just the type of thing they would have in the show.

Yes, but they actually had to rationalize the CEO's motives, which was just dumb.

Quote:
The entire thing was almost entirely like the show, but with amped up neon visuals.

Visuals which made it hard to understand what was going on, thus making it not like the show.

Quote:
It was an excellent flick that only people who thought it was going to be serious were dissatisfied with.

No, I thought it'd be fun, and I was bored.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, but they actually had to rationalize the CEO's motives, which was just dumb

That's a far cry from "Matrix style philosophizing" and you know it.

I can understand it wasn't your cup of tea, but mindlessly bashing it for being "not like the show" isn't going to work on rational people.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Prometheus:
Quote:
That's a far cry from "Matrix style philosophizing" and you know it.

Arguing the merits of big business vs small business is definitely rationalizing.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
this poster-thing is pretty bad, i have one from a while ago that looks much better:
Photobucket
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2