• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Stream to end scanlation of Viz Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
"slow, awkward, and inferior"?

The only thing that VIZ's scans and translations are of those three is slow. For MS to say that VIZ's scans are inferior is ridiculous. VIZ's are pretty much as high of quality as you can get. MS's were lacking all kinds of details, they were always dark and more blotchy.

I don't really understand what they mean by 'awkward', I guess.

As for slow... Well, yes, they're slow. However, there is a reason for them being slow, I'm sure. And seriously, MS is in no place to be telling a company what they should do, when they were releasing Jump's manga a whole five days before their release in Japan. SJAlpha could be same day release as Japan, and they would still be 'slow' compared to MS.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 am Reply with quote
My understanding is that you can also buy it with an ITunes gift card, something you can buy at Walnart, bookstores and grocery stores. When purchased on ITunes it can then be accessed on any if VIZ's platforms such as their online SJA site. Shueisha&VIZ have said wider availability hinges on how well it does in NA so tell your US&Canaduan friends to subscribe. Also shame on MS for playing themselves as a victim while they were stealing the hard work of several manga artists.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why everyone was complaining when I was checking out Viz's Facebook page... Lots of stuff on both Facebook sites like:
"Why not boycott Viz? If nobody buys there crappy translations then maybe they'll give in and let sites like Mangastream do as they please or they could go out of business and then they'd have no right to try and stop manga sites"
And of course, looking at the pictures of most of them, they are... pre-teens to teens shouting and name-calling.

Everytime this happens to a manga site, I SWEAR people act like there's no other websites to go to. There's... how many out there? I know it's hard to stop them all, but wow...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
people who live in US or Asian have no right to complain. Either you pay for it, or find other illegal alternative. You have no right to read those manga for free even if you don't plan to buy them ever.
$25.99 a year is not alot of money people.

I hate people say something like "I won't buy them either way, so I should be allow to read it for free."
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Says a lot that ~445k people "like" MangaStream on Facebook, whereas only ~18k like Viz...
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, those are tough numbers. And the sad reality is there will always be more of them than supporters that pay. Also, 3 weeks is not that long but apparently is a lifetime to these people. I feel bad for Viz getting the hoard of immature brats on their Facebook, complaining that they can't get free stuff anymore. It's not a "freedom".

I need to stop reading, these things make me mad and frustrated when I read their comments...
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
Good for Viz. I wish more companies would stand up to the scanlation aggregation sites like this.

I'm sorry if you don't live in an area who can access the digital versions, but nothing's stopping you from importing the print versions when they come out. You have to wait? Sorry, that's the way the world works. Nothing entitles you to instant access to anything, let alone something from another country.

Viz owns the rights to all English-language versions of their titles. It's their legal right and responsibility to shut down sites like this. It's the same reason why Tokyopop was legally obligated to send Kodansha a cease and desist order against their bilingual books. Tokyopop's license covered the English-language version of the book. Kodansha could not legally publish English-language copies of their own books.
ElderlyGoose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
people who live in US or Asian have no right to complain. Either you pay for it, or find other illegal alternative. You have no right to read those manga for free even if you don't plan to buy them ever.
$25.99 a year is not alot of money people.

I hate people say something like "I won't buy them either way, so I should be allow to read it for free."

I've been arguing the points over on fb all day yesterday and today decided enough was enough. It's not like VIZ are even going to read most of the bashing.

The main points (ignoring the idiots that just want free manga) are these;
1 - SJA is US/Canada only. Unlike Crunchyroll us in the EU/Elsewhere can't actually sign up for SJA. Making it impossible for us to keep up (and considering we are delayed in releases as is it seems a bit harsh).
2 - Mangastream was actively promoting the Viz product. Now you can bash this all you like but the end of the day I've seen many more pirates with far less ethics than them and it was to a point helping them. Closing them is more likely going to give rise to far less ethical sites/teams (like naruto fan's tazmo? Remember him charging 'premium' prices for his translations which were scans of legit manga?)
3 - Some of the series asked to stop haven't been updated by Viz in months and telling someone else to stop is fairly harsh.

At the end of it all arguing about it is pointless.

Yes SJA is in its infancy and I agree with the quote. If your in America or Asia you have no right to complain as a legit option is open to you (unless your one of the people who now don't get updates I guess).

Yes Viz went about it the wrong way. Rather than getting SJA to being an epic product then axing mangastream it axed it first just to kill the competition.

No arguing about what's been lost won't change a damn thing.

No Viz won't change their mind. Hell Megaman Legends 3 campaigns have 100s of thousands and you think Capcom are going to change? Nope no sign of that at all.

There's no use crying over spilt milk.
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote
I admit to not being a social network user whatsoever, but I would certainly "like" Viz Media if I had the chance to do so. I certainly hope that the fact that I've been dropping coin on a few of their digital properties lately shows that I appreciate what they're doing more than anything else, however.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised they hadn't done this before now, to be honest. They were all over C&D's for Rumiko Takahashi's works a while ago, but her stuff is not nearly as popular in the US as SJ stuff. I suspect they probably had their arms twisted by the Japanese with that though. The fact that Naruto is the top selling series in the US also says a lot, both about how popular it is, and the even greater number of people that must read it illegally.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is this: Wow. The Manga community pirates are even worse than the Anime community pirates. I voiced my opinion on how people are hurting the artists they claim to love and I get called every name in the book plus been sent death threats through my PM's on FB.

Good grief, the fandom I am in sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's hard to like fandom sometimes. That's why I try to exclude those kinds of people from my thoughts on stuff.

st_owly wrote:
I suspect they probably had their arms twisted by the Japanese with that though.

Most VIZ staff are anti-piracy/anti-scanlation- I found out about MegaUpload's closure through a very happy tweet from a VIZ Staffer. The japanese don't have to twist their arms- they know right from wrong. As should most people
HattoriHaze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
I can't suggest how impactful this is, I've never used scanlation before, but I can say Viz shouldn't be getting the flack they're getting from many fans.

1: Whether the site was promoting their product or not, it was still illegal. Viz is providing a translation as a product in the US, it took work not just to translate the pieces, but to make the contracts they have with their Japanese counterparts. Setting up a site without those contracts is kind of a middle finger to Viz. It also means they have no direct control of their product. That's kind of like me joyriding in the company car of a local deli. Sure, they get free advertising from the logo on the side of the car, but I'm still stealing their car.

2: I get the feeling most of the people venting about Viz over on facebook are kids. Nothing can be done about them right now, you can scream until you're blue in the face and they'll still be stupid. It'll bite them later, though. If they keep that self-righteous attitude, and not bother to, oh, pay attention to the little things like law and common sense, their life will go in all kinds of interesting directions. I agree with what was said above: You're not entitled to free manga, no matter where you live. You're not entitled to any kind of free product. "I'm going to buy the manga, I just want to read it first". Well, do what I do. Go to a library. If it's not there? Hmm, that sucks, try the next one. Still not there? Ah well. Guess you'll have to wait.

I'm not insulting people that use scanlation sites. I don't know their circumstances, so I can't comment. I do think it's freakishly hilarious, though, when those users turn into whiny little brats because a company isn't going to let them steal anymore. That's got to be the weakest example of Robin Hood I've ever seen.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
my biggest problem is that viz cancelled reborn. sure they still own the rights but if they aren't gonna do anything with it i question why they would stop others from translating it.

i mean i can either put up with poor translations or just stop reading all together. i just hope this means viz hasn't given up on reborn completely but that might be hoping too much. but once alpha is on new chapters I'll prolly sign up for it.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
my biggest problem is that viz cancelled reborn. sure they still own the rights but if they aren't gonna do anything with it i question why they would stop others from translating it.

Viz Media has yet to actually come out and say that they did cancel Reborn!, actually. I left them a question about it on their FaceBook wall, considering I do have all sixteen of the released volumes, and the only thing they had to tell me was that it is on hiatus. They've never mentioned a word about it being cancelled.

Just in case of an imminent argument over the implications of it having been, for comparison they came right out and said to someone else that Gin Tama'd been cancelled, though that was already announced through articles all over the Internet about it. (Though, those articles wouldn't have said anything if there wasn't a source for the info, with the only possible source being Viz Media.) Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5