• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hikari Un-Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I liked Un-Go too. I'll even be cosplaying Inga (little boy version) at a convention soon. Anime catgrin

That's pretty awesome! Are you going to ask people one question each? Razz

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
I was kinda hoping that with The Stream column that streams wouldn't be featured in this one anymore, seeing as you can't really put streams on a shelf. But, I guess there's only so much time in the week, and if you're watching streams, that's just that much less time to watch physical media, so it's here to stay whether I agree with it or not.

I've gathered that The Stream is a column that follows shows as they're airing, and in in Shelf Life it's to review either the whole think or large chunks of it at once.

The Stream definitely features episode-by-episode reviews, whereas I'm reviewing a minimum of 8 episode chunks of streaming titles. Un-Go was short enough to review the whole thing. A lot of shows that stream aren't getting physical releases at all (like Tatami Galaxy)... and I don't want to miss titles I might like. I feel like I may have even helped Princess Jellyfish in getting a physical release by reviewing it.

Apollo-kun wrote:
whereas Princess Resurrection is a clever (if somewhat overly long) send-up of slasher movie tropes. Sometimes, I don't understand Erin's tastes... But hey, to each their own, I suppose Razz

I don't like slasher movies... actually I don't like horror movies at all, except The Shining. I'm not into old Universal Studios monster films, either. A boring parody of something I don't care about is, I suppose, doubly boring. Most of all, I can't forgive boring anime...

Megiddo wrote:
So yeah, if a show is really really bad, then it reaches some level of 'so bad it's decent' for Erin. Whereas if shows don't quite reach that level of terribleness, but that she has some issues over a portion of the content, then that's most likely going to teeter over into flushable territory.

That's not how I feel about Akikan, though. It seems like you're trying to understand my matrix for ratings, as if there's a set equation, or parameters I'm going by. I do have some loose guidelines, but I'm also a human being with incredibly complex motivations, some of which may be unguessable unless you knew me in real life for years at a time (even then, my own brother doesn't understand my tastes in music).

I try to save "Perishable" for titles that are either incredibly poor, or that actually offend me as a human being. That said, I also ask "Was I amused? Was I entertained? Did this series achieve what it was setting out to do?" If instead of entertaining me, a series pisses me off, that's Perishable! Rental Shelf titles often feel like I'm wasting time watching them, but Perishable titles make me wish I'd never seen them at all.

Titles like Chaos;Head, Guyver, and Blassreiter had convoluted plots but didn't actively offend. Chobits, Popotan, and Gunslinger Girls all made me angry on a moral level (Chobits less than the other two).

I was horribly bored watching Princess Resurrection. It didn't hold my attention at all. There were comedic moments that didn't make me laugh, and even the fanservice was poorly drawn. Akikan, on the other hand, actually made me laugh on more than one occasion. Princess Resurrection was, at times, trying and failing to be sexy, or not trying hard at all. Akikan seemed to know its budget limitations and aimed more for funny than sexy. Akikan also handled its young girl character in a way that I didn't find upsetting.

I didn't dread watching episodes of Akikan because it was actually funny (at least occasionally). Sure, the production values were low, but I didn't hate it like Princess Resurrection, which bored me out of my skull. One series made me dread hitting the "Play" button, and the other did not. If I'm delighted to hit "Play," that's a sign of Shelf Worthy-ness.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote
PR is one of the few titles that I read the manga (or at least I did, until they stopped getting released), and like be tell you, the manga is infinitely better than the anime. I really enjoyed the anime, and I bought it when it was first released, but story and art -wise it suffers. I don't think I'd recommend the anime to anyone other that a hardcore B-movie fan.

Akikan's high rating surprised me, since it was horrible too. (Full disclosure: I own this release too). In fact, I own both this and an Akikan figure of Melon, so I've spent a disproportionate amount of money on this franchise. Akikan is stupid, but it has a stupid kind of humor that I enjoy, or to quote Haruko from FLCL: "Eating really bad ramen can be kind of fun, too". So Akikan is like really bad ramen. Feel free to put that in your advertisements, Sentai.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
So does the set include the hot springs OVA or not Erin? I'm curious, as that doesn't seem like something Sentai would miss (and the amount of fanservice in that episode would be a huge factor in getting a certain audience to want to buy the set). And TRSI claims that the set comes with the OVA as well.

Cause you not mentioning that at all would be very weird. Especially after your tirade on Teatrino's OVA which featured at most 2 minutes of two girls in swimsuits:
Erin wrote:

Second, I had moral problems with the second episode. Two of the girls, Henrietta and Rico, spend time with their handlers, Jose and Jean, on vacation, going to the beach and eating a nice dinner out. Jose makes Henrietta dress in clothes formerly owned by his dead sister in order to mess with his brother, Jean. It's all pretty dicey wank-material if you ask me.

Now, if you get off calling that shot "wank material" then where is the same for Akikan? When the entire 'plot' of the OVA is just watching naked girls (including Grape) bathe in an onsen?

Shouldn't that have set off even more of the squick-meter? Or is it because Akikan is overt in its fanservice where Gunslinger Girl is 100% tame that you're more likely to forgive Akikan?

Cause I'm perplexed how you can find Gunslinger Girl 'morally' wrong when it doesn't do anything to earn that other than maybe a master-slave dynamic (which I could understand). However, Akikan has that exact same dynamic made even worse because the anthropomorphized cans/girls are forced to kiss their masters if they want to continue being outside of can form. It's sickening. It's putrid. And it has 500000000% more fanservice of the loli character than anything that was in Gunslinger Girl.

So you're right. I don't get you. You don't make sense.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Not knowing anything about the series, I had Princess Resurrection in my hand at one point, as the art on the cover looked not bad and the storyline sounded interesting. For some reason, though, I decided to put it back on the shelf. Ultimately, I was glad I did.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So does the set include the hot springs OVA or not Erin? I'm curious, as that doesn't seem like something Sentai would miss (and the amount of fanservice in that episode would be a huge factor in getting a certain audience to want to buy the set). And TRSI claims that the set comes with the OVA as well.

Cause you not mentioning that at all would be very weird. Especially after your tirade on Teatrino's OVA which featured at most 2 minutes of two girls in swimsuits:
Erin wrote:

Second, I had moral problems with the second episode. Two of the girls, Henrietta and Rico, spend time with their handlers, Jose and Jean, on vacation, going to the beach and eating a nice dinner out. Jose makes Henrietta dress in clothes formerly owned by his dead sister in order to mess with his brother, Jean. It's all pretty dicey wank-material if you ask me.

Now, if you get off calling that shot "wank material" then where is the same for Akikan? When the entire 'plot' of the OVA is just watching naked girls (including Grape) bathe in an onsen?

Shouldn't that have set off even more of the squick-meter? Or is it because Akikan is overt in its fanservice where Gunslinger Girl is 100% tame that you're more likely to forgive Akikan?

Cause I'm perplexed how you can find Gunslinger Girl 'morally' wrong when it doesn't do anything to earn that other than maybe a master-slave dynamic (which I could understand). However, Akikan has that exact same dynamic made even worse because the anthropomorphized cans/girls are forced to kiss their masters if they want to continue being outside of can form. It's sickening. It's putrid. And it has 500000000% more fanservice of the loli character than anything that was in Gunslinger Girl.

I think you are missing the point of ova's being done. It's to show off the characters skin for the hell of it even older series like blue seed dating back to 95 has a hot-spring ova with all of the female characters. I see you don't like loli but you don't have to take it to that much of an extreme. Reviews are only based on opinions of your feelings for a said product maybe like me it's a guilty pleasure series for the said person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but when I saw genericon I chuckled a little bit; and I'm sorry about that. :3

I thought that Princess resurrection hd an interesting story, but unfortunately it was tailored for "specific" fans (it's a basic boob/panty harem)

If they would have tried to go with a series story it would of been better in my personal opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
I think you are missing the point of ova's being done. It's to show off the characters skin for the hell of it even older series like blue seed dating back to 95 has a hot-spring ova with all of the female characters. I see you don't like loli but you don't have to take it to that much of an extreme. Reviews are only based on opinions of your feelings for a said product maybe like me it's a guilty pleasure series for the said person.

I have no problems with people have it as a guilty pleasure. I have guilty pleasures too. However, I have problems with Erin completely bashing the hell out of Gunslinger Girl when it was completely undeserved and letting things like Akikan slide despite being far worse than Gunslinger Girl. That is my issue.

Had Erin used "wank material" to describe Akikan, then I could have at least understood her thought process. But she didn't. Despite the hot springs episode being completely oriented about fanservice when the Teatrino OVA was all about the relationship between Jose, Jean, and their dead sister Enrica.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
I liked Un-Go too. I'll even be cosplaying Inga (little boy version) at a convention soon. Anime catgrin

That's pretty awesome! Are you going to ask people one question each? Razz

Would people feel obligated to answer little-boy!Inga, I wonder? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Maybe if I asked something simple and relatively inoffensive, like: "Are you enjoying the convention?"
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back, Erin!

Megiddo wrote:
Akikan has that exact same dynamic made even worse because the anthropomorphized cans/girls are forced to kiss their masters if they want to continue being outside of can form. It's sickening. It's putrid.

A slight exaggeration? Akikan is on my "to watch" list because everything I've heard about it sounds like it would be fun. Some shows aren't Great Art, they just take a concept and run with it. Midori Days, for instance, is well worth watching even if its subject isn't exactly elevated.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Are you saying that the plot-device of forcing girls to kiss their master in order to continue to subsist is not a sickening concept? Midori Days never had such thing. Midori was the one who controlled Sawamura's arm, not the other way around. She wasn't forced to do anything.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
But seriously, I don't understand how Akikan is rental worthy when it's a bunch of otaku pandering, whereas Princess Resurrection is a clever (if somewhat overly long) send-up of slasher movie tropes. Sometimes, I don't understand Erin's tastes... But hey, to each their own, I suppose Razz

I think I've kind of figured it out. If it's really really bad like Akikan is, then Erin can find some sort of enjoyment out of it. This isn't the first pile of excrement that she has stamped a 'rental' on, and it certainly won't be the last. And yes, when a great studio like Brains Base, who did Durarara, Kurenai, Mawaru Penguindrum, Kamichu, Baccano, Natsume Yuujinchou, etc. puts in the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel animation/art, then I think it's pretty safe to say that even the studio didn't even enjoy working on the show.

So yeah, if a show is really really bad, then it reaches some level of 'so bad it's decent' for Erin. Whereas if shows don't quite reach that level of terribleness, but that she has some issues over a portion of the content, then that's most likely going to teeter over into flushable territory. This is a show about anthropomorphized soda/drink cans that requires the protagonist to kiss them so that they can maintain a certain level of CO2. Girls are required to kiss the protagonist if they want to continue their existence. I don't know, that seems kind of... wrong to me.

But I just have to facepalm that Akikan received higher accolades from her than Gunslinger Girl. Maybe Gunslinger Girl should not have dealt with all those moral quandaries and should have been some generic harem show about girls as anthropomorphized guns. Hey wait, that plot sounds similar. Oh yeah! It's actually happening in the spring with the Xebec adaptation of the Upotte!! manga. Can't wait to see another 'so bad it's decent' slapped onto that.

Oh, and did Sentai's set not include the hot springs OVA? I doubt you could miss Grape's sexualization there. But maybe if she was just in a swimsuit on the beach instead of naked in an onsen then Erin would have spend 2 paragraphs about the definition of lolicon like she did for a certain other show's OVA.
Yeah, the fact that the female protags have to show affection to the male protag in order to live makes me feel a little uneasy, and I'm a guy. How she liked this and not "Gunslinger Girl", which is for my money one of the most sincere, heartwrenching dramas out there, is beyond me. At this point, I enjoy reading the column for the collections to compare them to my own and nothing more. The opinions, opinions though they may be, are confusingly doled out and seem to lack serious merit. Which is not to say Erin is unqualified, or unprofessional, but her tastes come across as utterly arbitrary. Well-said, Megiddo.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Yea I dont get the PR rating. There is a reason the show has been rereleased at least five times, and finally got a dub. Because people like it, my shelf included. The only real flaw of the show, which is magnified in the manga, is that the plot is so stretched out its often hard to comprehend where its going. You basically have your occasional chapter or two of plot movement, and then standalone arcs in between. But I like the animation, music, and the anime overall.

If anything the ova was kinda meh.

Ill mention the only other legit criticism of the anime, is taking out the blood in exchange for the flame concept but oh well.

And I have to point out like several others, you have Akikan rate that highly, and PR that poorly. Your criteria was also arbitrary at best, oh I laughed at one episode of AK, but I did not laugh at the funny episodes of PR. From what I recall PR really didn't try to be comedy, and had no funny episodes, except maybe the one when Hiro's buddies tried to take his place as a servant.

Also have to agree with the those backing gunslinger girls, one has to question your tastes to call something like that a wank fest. Apparently you saw something there that I didn't. I can only imagine your review of Elfen Lied.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

Oooh, if it's Momocon (judging by your location) I'll keep my eye out! Need to see more cosplay from this series!

Yep! I'd cosplay the female version, but sadly I am neither 7 feet tall nor a D-cup. Alas.

I'll be there with my little brother (who already towers over me) who may or may not be cosplaying as TK from Angel Beats.
OMG sweet I'll be there dressed as Postal Dude from the "Postal" video game series. I'll be sure to snap a pic of your costume if I bump into you! Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So does the set include the hot springs OVA or not Erin?

It does, but hot springs episodes don't offend me on their own. In fact, hot springs episodes are practically included by default in most short series. Since it seems like everyone has to have at least one, I'm willing to accept it as a widespread trope, and if I'm going to call myself an anime fan, well, I better expect to get some hot springs in there. My favorite hot springs episode is the one in Gurren Lagann.

Besides, I like hot springs. I went to some in Japan. It's not nearly as sexy as in anime, FYI.

Anyway, fan service doesn't offend me by default. It's all about context. I like to take it on a case-by-case basis.

If you're looking for a math formula to find out if something will gross me out or not, take the number of elementary school girls in the show versus the percentage of male viewers over 30 and factor in the number of panty shots. By this math, Strike Witches was way, way grosser than Gunslinger Girls, which has no panty shots.

Megiddo wrote:

I'm willing to forgive Akikan because it is a comedy. Gunslinger Girls takes itself almost dead seriously. Also, much of the cast of Akikan are post-pubescent rather than pre-pubescent.

I respected the way Akikan handled its one pre-pubescent character; it treats Budoko as a total joke. The girls of Gunslinger Girls are all dead serious and all little kids, and you're supposed to take them all quite seriously and feel real sorry for them. Budoko is almust pure comic relief. She's the Smarty Smurf of this show.

Megiddo wrote:

I prefer overt fanservice to subversive fanservice any day of the week. That's kind of a big topic, but I think Gunslinger Girls is a subversive objectification of women, whereas Akikan is blatant and comedic; the girls are literally objects, and that's the joke. In Gunslinger Girls the girls are spoiler[cyborgs of some kind] and it's no joke. Gunslinger Girls is also ostensibly a classy show with decent animation and operatic music that you're supposed to take seriously. No one could take Akikan seriously.

I'm also more tolerant of Sekirei because it's blatant fanservice, there's a not-too-serious little kid, and it is also usually a comedy (as far as I remember). Season two just came out, I guess I'll get a refresher soon enough.

Megiddo wrote:

Seems like that makes you feel irritated. Are you still annoyed that I gave the Gunslinger Girls OVA a bad review, two years later? I take you really like that OVA?
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see you gained at least a decent bit of enjoyment from Akikan!, Erin. I remember watching it back when it was airing in Japan, and I thought it'd never see the light of day in the West, legally. I don't know if it was just the right time in my anime "otakudom" or not, but I admittedly really, really liked the show. I guess this is what a "guilty pleasure" is, eh?

Just to be a bit nit-picky, "otaku" in Japan, doesn't exclusively refer to anime/manga fans, but enthusiasts of just about anything: trains, planes, UFO, evolutionary biology, soda, etc.

Erin wrote:
Chobits, Popotan, and Gunslinger Girls all made me angry on a moral level (Chobits less than the other two).

I'm currently watching Chobits (episode 17 is next), and I'm absolutely addicted to it. But, I'm earnestly intrigued in knowing what about it you found so ethically insulting.

Another great column, by the way!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7