• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic720

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:

Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not what he said. In context (@~57:10) he simply said that other people were very vocal about their own beliefs and interests, such as political and sexual beliefs (later expanding that slightly as moral, political and ethical positions), and he didn't understand why he was the only one getting flack for being vocal about his own particular interests. He never said whether he agreed or disagreed with the various agendas others were promoting.

What do you think he meant by being vocal about sexual beliefs? In that I've yet to attend a panel at a con where anyone tried to convert others to do anything of a sexual nature. What I have encountered are people sharing who they are. Well, Homestuck fans have an agenda but that's beside the point.

Hmm, well when I listened to the podcast the first thing I though of was one of the various hentai panels at some cons or a "sex and anime/manga" panel. I don't think Vic meant vocal in the sense of proselytizing others with their beliefs, but rather they were equally eager to talk about things they are passionate about. So, I don't think he meant people were trying to convert others into a sexual practice or something along those lines. Also, in context, Vic is not out there preaching sermons to people in con halls either, just being excited about life and wanting to help others. I don't see how that's wrong at any level for Vic or anyone else who is excited about any number of things at a con.

Honestly after now watching all of the rumor panel Rukiia linked to, I think the "sexual beliefs" statement is much ado about nothing. Vic said at that panel how one person runs with one tiny little thing and blows it out of proportion on hearsay and speculation. Seeing all the suspicion about Vic's character and "agenda" on this forum alone has convinced me why he has to have a rumor panel in the first place, as people really do make up something out of nothing or infuse meaning into his words unfairly. Vic said outright he "loves gay people because God loves them", and until his actions or speech is documented firmly to the contrary I see no reason to be a rumormonger about him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
That's not what he said. In context (@~57:10) he simply said that other people were very vocal about their own beliefs and interests, such as political and sexual beliefs (later expanding that slightly as moral, political and ethical positions), and he didn't understand why he was the only one getting flack for being vocal about his own particular interests. He never said whether he agreed or disagreed with the various agendas others were promoting.

What do you think he meant by being vocal about sexual beliefs?

I don't know, since I'm not a mind reader and he didn't elaborate. But even if he did mean advocating for same sex marriage or whatever people think he meant, the point remains that he didn't say he agreed or disagreed with whatever he was alluding to, just that he gets flack when they don't, and he didn't get why. His question was why Christian advocacy seems to be, in his view, the only topic that's off-limits.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? Trying to stop him from getting invited? How freaking selfish can you get? What jerks.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Draneor wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What do you think he meant by being vocal about sexual beliefs?

I don't know, since I'm not a mind reader and he didn't elaborate. But even if he did mean advocating for same sex marriage or whatever people think he meant, the point remains that he didn't say he agreed or disagreed with whatever he was alluding to, just that he gets flack when they don't, and he didn't get why. His question was why Christian advocacy seems to be, in his view, the only topic that's off-limits.

The whole argument kind of misses the mark though, because while other voice actors and guests may HAVE personal beliefs that they candidly express, none that I know of put the kind of time and effort that Mignogna does into setting up a soapbox from which to push an ideological agenda (again, however politely). There's a difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's a reasonable response to his question. Wish they'd gone there in the interview. And he was saying that others do soapbox as much as he does. That was his point. Whether he's seeing it through a skewed lens or if it's as he says but no one notices because they're not uncomfortable with the other messages is also a legitimate discussion. But here, most people have taken the "what did he mean by that" tack, and imbued what he actually said with all sorts of things he didn't say.
Draneor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
Hmm, well when I listened to the podcast the first thing I though of was one of the various hentai panels at some cons or a "sex and anime/manga" panel. I don't think Vic meant vocal in the sense of proselytizing others with their beliefs, but rather they were equally eager to talk about things they are passionate about.

It's an anime con. Panels about anime--even adult anime--are kind of expected. OTOH, Vic runs a church service--which, OK, is fine but it's not the same. The same would be if he ran a panel on "religious thought in anime" or something.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And he was saying that others do soapbox as much as he does. That was his point.

Like who? I'm genuinely curious. I don't know of anyone else who goes to nearly the same lengths to push, again, not just an opinion on an issue, but a whole ideological agenda - a belief system, which he's trying to encourage others to buy into. That's a much bigger thing than just saying, "This is my opinion about this."

Last edited by gatotsu911 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sonic720

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
... while other voice actors and guests may HAVE personal beliefs that they candidly express, none that I know of put the kind of time and effort that Mignogna does into setting up a soapbox from which to push an ideological agenda (again, however politely). There's a difference.

Vic never set up a soapbox to push an "ideological agenda", rather his voicing of Edward Elric made him a celebrity in fandom. Therfore he gets invited to cons and to talk on ANNCast. Now couple his celebrity with his unabashed faith and you have someone who's a walking target for the masses who want a scapegoat to project their own issues upon. If he never played that role, almost no one would know he exists and we would not be talking about him now.

In the ANNCast, Vic stated his "ideological agenda" has nothing to do with shoving religion down anyone's throat, but rather being a role model to his fans, nothing more and nothing less. He made it fairly clear why he goes to great lengths to share the love of God with others, and that's because he really believes it to be true. He goes out of his way to do this because he truly cares about others and wants to help them. If Vic wanting to be there for fans and giving them hugs and attention is the worst he's done, I'd say he's doing something right.

We can debate if Vic is sincere in his words until we are blue in the face, but it does not change the fact there's no documented proof he is a bigot or a spiteful individual. In the absence of such evidence, why would anyone be skeptical he's not being truthful with us? Regardless of the reason one may be skeptical, the fact remains it's unfair criticism unless it's based on objective fact.

Draneor wrote:
sonic720 wrote:
Hmm, well when I listened to the podcast the first thing I though of was one of the various hentai panels at some cons or a "sex and anime/manga" panel. I don't think Vic meant vocal in the sense of proselytizing others with their beliefs, but rather they were equally eager to talk about things they are passionate about.

It's an anime con. Panels about anime--even adult anime--are kind of expected. OTOH, Vic runs a church service--which, OK, is fine but it's not the same. The same would be if he ran a panel on "religious thought in anime" or something.

I agree they are different things, but don't think he should not have equal opportunity to hold such a thing at the con. It is voluntary to attend any kind of panel or "service" after all.

In that post of mine, I was simply stating what I thought to be Vic's logic regarding what he meant by others being vocal about sexual beliefs among other things. His larger point though was he has an equal right to speak his peace as does any other celebrity guest at a con regardless of subject matter. He was perplexed why it is somehow taboo for him to speak on his faith when others speak on things they are equally passionate about at cons. Whether you or I agree with his reasoning is another thing, but I think that's what he was trying to say.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
In the ANNCast, Vic stated his "ideological agenda" has nothing to do with shoving religion down anyone's throat, but rather being a role model to his fans, nothing more and nothing less. He made it fairly clear why he goes to great lengths to share the love of God with others, and that's because he really believes it to be true. He goes out of his way to do this because he truly cares about others and wants to help them. If Vic wanting to be there for fans and giving them hugs and attention is the worst he's done, I'd say he's doing something right.

We can debate if Vic is sincere in his words until we are blue in the face, but it does not change the fact there's no documented proof he is a bigot or a spiteful individual. In the absence of such evidence, why would anyone be skeptical he's not being truthful with us? Regardless of the reason one may be skeptical, the fact remains it's unfair criticism unless it's based on objective fact.

I can't speak for others, but I at least am not questioning his truthfulness or sincerity. I have no reason to doubt that he believes what he says or that he's recounting events truthfully. What I'm questioning is whether his behavior - e.g. assuming the role of a spiritual guide/amateur therapist for his fans - is appropriate, particularly in the context of hobby conventions packed with insecure and impressionable minors. Or, at the very least, why his behavior might bother people in a way that, say, someone expressing their political opinions during a discussion panel probably would not.
sonic720

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I can't speak for others, but I at least am not questioning his truthfulness or sincerity. I have no reason to doubt that he believes what he says or that he's recounting events truthfully. What I'm questioning is whether his behavior - e.g. assuming the role of a spiritual guide/amateur therapist for his fans - is appropriate, particularly in the context of hobby conventions packed with insecure and impressionable minors. Or, at the very least, why his behavior might bother people in a way that, say, someone expressing their political opinions during a discussion panel probably would not.

Fair enough, but remember this, Vic also stated he would be a big hypocrite if he kept his faith to himself and did not share it with others if he truly believes the gospel. So, when he is asked about it he does not shy away from expounding on what he believes. Notice Zac brought up his faith in the interview, not Vic.

Vic would be insincere not to share what he really believes with everyone. And his panels, again, are optional to attend. He does not roam the halls of the cons screaming out sermons or whatnot to evangelize. People come to see him of their own free will. If they are impressionable minors, is it not their parent's responsibility to know what they are exposed to and judge if it be offensive for their children to hear? And if their parents are not very involved in their life and Vic wants to be a comfort to them at a con, do you see that as wrong because of his faith? If anything, I'd argue he's living out his faith and proving he's not a hypocrite by being available to others in need.

As for it bothering people, do they not have feet or some sort of way of moving about? Can they not leave if they feel in the least bit offended? Does Vic hold them at gunpoint and demand they stay for his panel? At what point should we censor anyone at their own panel/service/autograph signing because someone MAY get offended?
bkmyers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for it bothering people, do they not have feet or some sort of way of moving about? Can they not leave if they feel in the least bit offended? Does Vic hold them at gunpoint and demand they stay for his panel? At what point should we censor anyone at their own panel/service/autograph signing because someone MAY get offended?

Thanks you for some rationality to this whole thread.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
gatotsu911 wrote:

Fair enough, but remember this, Vic also stated he would be a big hypocrite if he kept his faith to himself and did not share it with others if he truly believes the gospel. So, when he is asked about it he does not shy away from expounding on what he believes. Notice Zac brought up his faith in the interview, not Vic.

Vic would be insincere not to share what he really believes with everyone. And his panels, again, are optional to attend. He does not roam the halls of the cons screaming out sermons or whatnot to evangelize. People come to see him of their own free will. If they are impressionable minors, is it not their parent's responsibility to know what they are exposed to and judge if it be offensive for their children to hear?

I get that Mignogna's actions are consistent with his belief system. I addressed this in several previous posts. This doesn't change the question of whether the way in which he chooses to act on his beliefs is appropriate, or why it makes many people uncomfortable.

sonic720 wrote:
And if their parents are not very involved in their life and Vic wants to be a comfort to them at a con, do you see that as wrong because of his faith?

I see it as dubious, because Vic Mignogna is not a therapist, he's not a youth counsellor, he's not a family member, he does not know these kids personally. He's also not an equal: they - quite often, children - are coming to him, an adult and a "celebrity", in the position of admirers and fans, meaning he holds the power in that relationship. Given all this, I am skeptical that it is his place, however good his intentions might be, to provide personal guidance and direction to his fans, especially when such direction involves trying to induct them into his faith. And AGAIN, I'm not suggesting that this is not, from Mignogna's perspective, simply the moral thing to do - I am questioning whether, from any other perspective, it is truly appropriate.

sonic720 wrote:

Of course no one is being forcibly exposed to Mignogna's beliefs, but he and some of his fans in this thread seem to be wondering why his behavior bothers so many people, and I'm trying to explain it.
sonic720

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
I get that Mignogna's actions are consistent with his belief system. I addressed this in several previous posts. This doesn't change the question of whether the way in which he chooses to act on his beliefs is appropriate, or why it makes many people uncomfortable.

OK, I understand where you are coming from better now, but ultimately who decides what is and is not appropriate behavior? If someone is uncomfortable with Vic, is it not their issue with him at fault? From Vic's perspective he's not coming up to people and saying something like do you know Jesus, rather he just allows others to come to him and say hi or they ask for a hug or something else.

sonic720 wrote:
And if their parents are not very involved in their life and Vic wants to be a comfort to them at a con, do you see that as wrong because of his faith?

gatotsu911 wrote:
I see it as dubious, because Vic Mignogna is not a therapist, he's not a youth counsellor, he's not a family member, he does not know these kids personally. He's also not an equal: they - quite often, children - are coming to him, an adult and a "celebrity", in the position of admirers and fans, meaning he holds the power in that relationship. Given all this, I am skeptical that it is his place, however good his intentions might be, to provide personal guidance and direction to his fans, especially when such direction involves trying to induct them into his faith. And AGAIN, I'm not suggesting that this is not, from Mignogna's perspective, simply the moral thing to do - I am questioning whether, from any other perspective, it is truly appropriate.

I disagree one must be a person who's an "equal" or have a degree in psychology to comfort someone else feeling lonely or confused without it being dubious. There's countless other celebrities who give fans who are minors advice and no one bats an eye. Under your construct Oprah and Ellen should never give advice or comfort to confused teens because of the same pre-conditions. They are entertainers who are equally unqualified to give advice, yet people love it when they help teens with their issues.

So, why is Vic any different, his faith? Vic never said he forces his faith on others, so why would it ever be an issue? At the end of the day all Vic is ever doing is encouraging the fans who come to see him with a smile/hug/signature/photo/kind words, not trying to induct them into his faith. His fans have free will to think and act for themselves do they not? His fans meet him for like seconds or minutes in most cases, so there's no time for him to even talk much about his faith outside of a panel or interview anyhow.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Not going to comment on the rest, but I noticed people discussing whether Vic drinks or not. I was at a VAs after dark panel at Kunicon in 2005, and the liquor was flowing freely (beer, cocktails, scotch, you name it) and Vic was ABSOLUTELY taking part in it. It's possible he's gone sober since then, but he did drink.
sonic720

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
Not going to comment on the rest, but I noticed people discussing whether Vic drinks or not. I was at a VAs after dark panel at Kunicon in 2005, and the liquor was flowing freely (beer, cocktails, scotch, you name it) and Vic was ABSOLUTELY taking part in it. It's possible he's gone sober since then, but he did drink.

Vic said here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7RQm9sUJjk (video from rumors panel) he'd give anyone $100 if they could prove he was ever drunk. So, if you have evidence he got drunk you could claim the prize. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14