• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Durarara!! Anime on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regannator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, I do know one thing that is a problem, and one that isn't perceived but existing: I wish to buy a series, but it costs a whole surgery to afford because Aniplex don't even attempt to put any work towards localization effort, and just offer it as "an exotic, limited import."

If that's their way of minimizing pirating and bootlegging, then they are just doing a bang-up job with the incentive.

EDIT: You know, in fact, when I think about it...there's actually a perfect word for Aniplex's presence in the overseas side of the industry: Cockblock. Think about it. If Aniplex of America wasn't around, what would happen to stuff like Garden of Sinners, Fate/Zero or Blue Exorcist. They'd be picked up by either Sentai or Funimation. And true enough, they'd probably take roughly a year to get here, but in exchange, we'd have them complete with a dub, DVD or Blu-Ray options, and worthwhile production extras, and most of all, tagged at a price that normal humans can afford.

But as it stands, Aniplex coming here completely kills the tempo this side of the industry has. They grab a few of their own licenses to do their own thing with them, and essentially, do NOTHING but add s***ty subtitles and slap them as exotic imports for only true collectors.

I'm sorry, friend, but f**k that. In my most humble of opinions, Aniplex of America isn't welcome here.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Well, I do know one thing that is a problem, and one that isn't perceived but existing: I wish to buy a series, but it costs a whole surgery to afford because Aniplex don't even attempt to put any work towards localization effort, and just offer it as "an exotic, limited import."

If that's their way of minimizing pirating and bootlegging, then they are just doing a bang-up job with the incentive.

EDIT: You know, in fact, when I think about it...there's actually a perfect word for Aniplex's presence in the overseas side of the industry: Cockblock. Think about it. If Aniplex of America wasn't around, what would happen to stuff like Garden of Sinners, Fate/Zero or Blue Exorcist. They'd be picked up by either Sentai or Funimation. And true enough, they'd probably take roughly a year to get here, but in exchange, we'd have them complete with a dub, DVD or Blu-Ray options, and worthwhile production extras, and most of all, tagged at a price that normal humans can afford.

But as it stands, Aniplex coming here completely kills the tempo this side of the industry has. They grab a few of their own licenses to do their own thing with them, and essentially, do NOTHING but add s***ty subtitles and slap them as exotic imports for only true collectors.

I'm sorry, friend, but f**k that. In my most humble of opinions, Aniplex of America isn't welcome here.

I see, YOU'RE on of those people. Look, you either liek the title enough to spend the money on it or you don't. Aniplex has put Durarara out in 3 AFFORDABLE sets, $43 a piece for 8-9 episodes in each set. That's double the amount of episodes that used to be when singles used to come out, but still at the same price as a single.

And DO NOT even use that stupid magical girl anime limited edition as an example. They offer up 2 cheaper edition that don't cost $70 for 4 episodes. If you think $130-150 for 26 episodes is a rip-off, then you must think their newest show they dubbed isn't even worth your time or effort to look at.

BTW, they OFFER free streaming of the animes they own.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:

Actually, the DRRR! limited edition set is a licensed, domestic release and NOT an "exotic limited import." If it was truly an import a) the price would be much higher and b) it wouldn't come in a lunch box (something exclusive for the US release). This is the packaging of the JP boxset courtesy of Amazon JP - LINK

I don't know why people like to forget that Aniplex USA has two ways of bringing out titles - licensed, domestic releases and direct import (only for three show so far!)

Quote:

If Aniplex of America wasn't around, what would happen to stuff like Garden of Sinners, Fate/Zero or Blue Exorcist. They'd be picked up by either Sentai or Funimation.

If that was the case, then Kara no Kyoukai DVDs would have been picked up loooong ago since those were released first.

Quote:

at a price that normal humans can afford.

Actually, the majority of Aniplex USAs domestic releases are competitively priced.

Quote:

If you don't like what they do, then you don't have to buy it.
Regannator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
$400 for half a series isn't what I like to call "competitively priced."
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:

And precisely one of their shows is priced that way. So what exactly is your point, because the above does not refute anything superdry said, or even really address it since he didn't call such pricing "competitively priced".
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff with a skelator Icon that keeps confusing me.

Dude, no one is making you buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays (I'm not sure which one's we're arguing about now). You think they are vastly overpriced? Then don't buy them.There are fans who are willing to put down the money to support the official release for the titles. And despite your claims that Aniplex is "cockblocking" other companies from picking them up, perhaps not. Maybe the American companies passed on them because they didn't think them profitable, couldn't afford the price tag, or the Japanese companies straight up wouldn't license it or would only do so under very intense guidelines. These have all happened before with regards to titles.

Also, you are not entitled to buy a title at the price you find reasonable. No one has to listen to you personally as a consumer. There are plenty of people willing to spend the money for the Durarara release, and Aniplex will probably do quite well.

Do you think it's to expensive? Well so do I, but that just means I'm not buying it even though I would at a lower price point. Am I upset about this? A little bit. Am I going to go raging on the ANN forum, declaring that the reasoning behind the release is stupid, and ignore all the possible potentialities behind said decision. No. I'm going to pout for a bit then go buy the manga from Yen and probably rewatch my Baccano DVDs.

Reverse Importation fears are very palpable in the industry, you and others may not feel they're justified, but the Japanese excs do. Justin Sevakis mentioned in the Anncast at AX this year, that there is at least one company that's saying "no Blu Rays in the US ever", besides many of them saying "no Blu-Rays in US for at least a year". And as Zac mentioned on the latest Anncast, Blu-Rays in the US might be getting fewer and farer between. [/i]
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:

And you do KNOW why it cost $350 for 13 episodes? IT IS A IMPORT. They just brought it over, they didn't print it themselves. Those are the prices you see every day in Japan.
Xagzan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Regannator wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff with a skelator Icon that keeps confusing me.

Dude, no one is making you buy the DVDs/Blu-Rays (I'm not sure which one's we're arguing about now). You think they are vastly overpriced? Then don't buy them.

Yeah, except we want to buy Durarara (or I'm assuming the skeletor guy does as well). Yet it seems there's no option for people like us to do so.

Alan45 wrote:
@Xazgan
It is not crazy, different people see things differently. Everyone has their own budget and makes their own decisions.

This is the first offering of the Bluray version of this show in the US. For the record, Cowboy Bebop was initially issued as 6 singles for aproximately $30 each, depending on where you bought them. GITS/SAC was worse than that. You got bargin prices for shows that have been out in the US for a couple of years. If you wait a couple of years for Durarara!! you will probably be able to get it cheap also, maybe Very Happy

I sure hope so, though I wish it wouldn't take years. And yeah, I remember those times of high priced singles. I'd thought they were in the past, as they should be. And I think they are for the most part. So soon after its release, for instance, I'm seeing FMA:Brotherhood purchasable, 64 episodes for around $80. Also the US' first offering of the show. I call that fair. 26 episodes, however, I just cannot see how you can charge almost double the price for less than half the number of episodes. Must be one hell of a lunchbox.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
I want to buy a lot of things. That doesn't mean that a company that doesn't sell the things I want at a price I can afford is in the wrong.
Xagzan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeahhh, except this is a bd anime release we're talking about here. In a sea of other bd anime releases that run from about $30-80, and some for a greater number of episodes at that. If they want to release a high priced collector's edition, that's fine, but a more accessible edition would be much appreciated.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Xagzan wrote:

Yeah, except we want to buy Durarara (or I'm assuming the skeletor guy does as well). Yet it seems there's no option for people like us to do so.

Sure there is, the issue isn't that its not available, its that you don't want to pay that much for it
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Regannator wrote:

And you do KNOW why it cost $350 for 13 episodes? IT IS A IMPORT. They just brought it over, they didn't print it themselves. Those are the prices you see every day in Japan.
That's Japan's problem, not the rest of the world. It's their job to sell it to me, but it ain't my job to buy it. Laughing
Xagzan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Xagzan wrote:

Sure there is, the issue isn't that its not available, its that you don't want to pay that much for it

No there isn't, because as I've said, I am not the kind of person who can allow myself to spend that much on an anime series, especially when I can get pretty much any others I want for much cheaper. There is currently no DRRR set similarly priced, ergo there is currently no DRRR set that is purchasable for someone like me.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Xagzan wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Xagzan wrote:

No there isn't, because as I've said, I am not the kind of person who can allow myself to spend that much on an anime series, especially when I can get pretty much any others I want for much cheaper. There is currently no DRRR set similarly priced, ergo there is currently no DRRR set that is purchasable for someone like me.

Well I'm not the kind of person who can allow myself to spend over 100,000 on a Ferrari, especially when I can get other cars much cheaper. Three is no Ferrari currently in my price range, ergo there is currently no Ferrari that is purchasable for someone like me.
Xagzan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
A Ferrari is a high end luxury car. I do not believe DRRR is a "high end" anime, or at least not one worth $100 more than series like GitS, FMA, or even its predecessor Baccano (I actually don't believe any anime should be considered a luxury item in the way a Ferrari is, but that's another matter).

Anyway, this is getting away from my only concern, which was to find out if there was word on a normally priced DRRR set in the future. Apparently there is not. Disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15