• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Well this is the second time they've included information from thirty plus chapters ahead.

For one hope this does not indicate there will be another long gap between cours.

Although I wonder how favorable the next story arc will be for folks since spoiler[ with the quest to take back the crown for Historia, the action is mostly involving humans rather than titans. Not that there wasn't still some exciting sequences, but folks might be disappointed that there's hardly any titan fighting going on. ] If they take another long break and return with that, it would almost feel like we were watching a different show altogether. I wish they had just gone right into that part with this season instead of having only 12 episodes.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
Her willingness to bargain Eren's fate back and forth like a poker chip proves that the well-being of her other comrades absolutely comes second to reuniting with Christa.

Precisely why I still don't like Ymir. Rolling Eyes

Me as well. Her being in this situation reminded me of my feelings when reading this part as to why I don't like her. I just don't see the point in teaming up Reiner..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...seeing the series take another break right when it's reached its peak is going to be bittersweet indeed.

Bittersweet is not the word I'd choose. I think infuriating due to the unfathomable stupidity of it is more like it. After 4 years of waiting, the buzz cooled off significantly, and just when they might be getting it back, they quit again for who knows how long. I wonder how many people will come back for a third helping, knowing they're only going to get a couple of spoonfuls before the bowl is yanked away again. Sure, the diehards will be there, but it makes little sense to try the patience of average viewers this way. People have really short attention spans when there's nothing keeping them on the hook.

Anyway, the episode was pretty good and certainly had its moments, but it didn't feel as exciting to me as I think it could have. I kept being pulled out of the story by the realization of how silly it seemed that they were having all these heartfelt and drawn out conversations while Reiner just keeps on running. Seemed to subvert the sense of urgency and all.

The animation didn't help either. They seemed to be having a real problem working out how to have the horses and Titans running in the same shots, so the horses kept looking like toys being shoved across the playing board by the sweep of an invisible hand. When Ymir was running after Connie and Christa, half the time it looked like she was actually out in front leading the way. And the eyes in AoT have always been weird, but they were crazy huge this time. OO
Ethe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Surprised by how fast the latest review was published. Also surprised there was no mention of the titan that ate Eren's mother Razz

Only one episode left, huh. It's sad to see SnK go, but hopefully we won't have to wait too much for the third season.

I gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews every week, James. Are you planning on reading the manga once the season ends, or are you just gonna wait for the next season to come out?

jr240483 wrote:
that have to be some kind of psuedo filler episode cause the manga haven't even once delved into ymir's past. their still in the progress of the yagers's dark history which is to say a serious doozy.

spoiler[Perhaps you're forgetting chapter 89 of the manga, where Historia reads Ymir's letter? Granted, that chapter didn't delve into Ymir's past and thought process as much as the anime did, but it's still worth mentioning. Also, I personally don't consider exploring a character's backstory and worldbuilding to be "pseudo filler".]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I was honestly disappointed by this last episode. It had some really cool stuff for sure (Erwin-san's Advannnnnce!) but it felt very tonally disjointed and the dialogue often felt like it was written for two independent shows accidentally interleaved. Ymir's jokes to Historia in particular were more appropriate in a parody than in context.

I think that's been an increasing weakness of the material, though. Long frantic monologues are not intrinsically valuable, and the more of them we have the more I fall out of love with this show's writing.
mc55

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that by the time a third season comes out, the manga will be about completed, so likely they'll not have to hold back and go full-steam ahead.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:

Although I wonder how favorable the next story arc will be for folks since-If they take another long break and return with that, it would almost feel like we were watching a different show altogether. I wish they had just gone right into that part with this season instead of having only 12 episodes.

What folks are seeing is the beginning of the last three planned arcs,Clash of Titansspoiler[The Uprising and Return to Shiganshina] arcs.

The next arc is a damn good arc,brings folks into the world of the inner wall and there is quite a bit of action,along with character development. Levi's spoiler[ backstory is filled in] Erwin spoiler[ has his time to shine].
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:

I gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your reviews every week, James. Are you planning on reading the manga once the season ends, or are you just gonna wait for the next season to come out?

Thanks! They've been a blast to write!

And I probably won't read the manga. If I'm fortunate enough to be able to write about a third season of AoT, I'd want to preserve the suspense. Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Ethe wrote:

And I probably won't read the manga. If I'm fortunate enough to be able to write about a third season of AoT, I'd want to preserve the suspense. Wink

he does realize that there are should be 14 more eps left of this season, right??? unless their only doing a 12 ep series instead of a 25 episodes on season one that is.

Quote:
In that moment, Bertholdt realizes that he broke the rules of their bond as comrades, and the consequences will be unfathomable.

that become more of an understatement in vols 19 and 20 according to some people. they should have given armin's negotiations more thought instead of blindingly follow the individual who is giving them these orders (which i have a nasty suspicion its that beast titan or even grisha.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
Ethe wrote:

he does realize that there are should be 14 more eps left of this season, right??? unless their only doing a 12 ep series instead of a 25 episodes on season one that is.

Quote:
In that moment, Bertholdt realizes that he broke the rules of their bond as comrades, and the consequences will be unfathomable.

that become more of an understatement in vols 19 and 20 according to some people. they should have given armin's negotiations more thought instead of blindingly follow the individual who is giving them these orders (which i have a nasty suspicion its that beast titan or even grisha.)
Next week is the final episode. It's 100% confirmed by the anime staff from there end card posted on their twitter.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
Crazy intense episode. Erwin is a god dam savage. Voice actors were on point this episode.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
This was a great penultimate episode. Reminded me of the GoT episode Battle of the Bastards. Too bad we're only getting 12 episodes this season. Hopefully, they'll just be taking a few months or a year off before season 3. I can't imagine it'll take them 3-4 more years just to produce another 12 episodes.
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I think this episode broke something in me. Attack on Titan has always been ridiculous and over-the-top, but I've usually been able to see it rather seriously overall, you know be creeped out when appropriate and such. But this episode was so silly and bizarre even for me (I actually laughed out loud in a few parts) that I don't think I will be able to really see these characters in the same way again. It was super entertaining, mind you. But this show has pretty much lost any ability to make me take it seriously ever again. Anyway, great episode.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
This was a great penultimate episode. Reminded me of the GoT episode Battle of the Bastards. Too bad we're only getting 12 episodes this season. Hopefully, they'll just be taking a few months or a year off before season 3. I can't imagine it'll take them 3-4 more years just to produce another 12 episodes.

Main reason for the 4 year gap-no fillers.

Back then the anime had caught up to the manga,now the manga is over fifty chapters ahead of where this season will end.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
I think this episode broke something in me. Attack on Titan has always been ridiculous and over-the-top, but I've usually been able to see it rather seriously overall, you know be creeped out when appropriate and such. But this episode was so silly and bizarre even for me (I actually laughed out loud in a few parts) that I don't think I will be able to really see these characters in the same way again. It was super entertaining, mind you. But this show has pretty much lost any ability to make me take it seriously ever again. Anyway, great episode.

I had this same reaction except for the last sentence. I think this was a great episode mixed with a parody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 39