• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Removes Titles from Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote
The vast majority of the merchandise in the current RightStuf ADV sale consists of older single volumes of series that have received a thinpack release more recently. In fact, a good portion of these titles have been sitting in the site's bargain bin for ages; I bought the individual Eva Platinum disks a good year or so ago, and there are still a few of them in stock in the current sale. I don't recall either of the Geneon sales being the same way, or at least not the first one; I bought most of Paranoia Agent in that, and that was definitely one of their more top-tier titles. The way I see it, this sale is nothing more than RightStuf clearing their storerooms of a lot of disks that weren't selling much at all anyway.

I'm almost starting to wonder if this isn't all just a site backup issue, as a few other people have suggested. That "Copyright 2007" at the bottom of the site is rather telling; I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have updated that before now. I don't see any reason to get very worried yet, but I'll definitely keep an eye on this; I was planning on buying Gurren as soon as it was released.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

So don't buy it right away. It's easy enough to purchase a series in a box set or when enough is released that you know it'll be released in its entirety. There's black and there's white, yes, but there's a whole shade of grey in between. Not everything has to be off and on. There's ways to support the industry without buying things right away as they come out and there's ways to play it safe without giving the industry the finger in the process.

That's a good point Keonyn- and ADV'll make just as much money from you buying a recently finished series as they would from you buying brand-new discs you might rather wait on. Until things become clearer, supporting ADV is important, but there's more then one way to support them then just buying new releases, and it can all be done in ways that support your preferred buying choices.

They have all those purty thinpacks, lots of older movies/ova's, and many other titles that can be easily had online or through special orders at retail, that let you get a complete series without worrying about waiting ofr the next 4 discs to get released. And ADV gets their cut from that [even if it's superdupercheap at RightStuf].
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
With the recent news of ADV UK and the status of Newtype it is no secret that ADV is undergoing a bit of restructuring. The idea of a merger has also been brought to their table before although it fell through at the time.

With this in mind (much like Tempest's nice speculations) I'm not currently too worried about the status of these titles. If they are undergoing a restructuring these titles might end up being delayed, and maybe a title or two might be lost in the shuffle. Titles like NHK. Kanon, 5 Centimeters, and Gurren Lagann have a decent sized fan base and I can't imagine ADV dropping them unless they go bankrupt. If this is the case there is a good chance someone else would pick them up.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
srmark wrote:
I say there was a problem with the server, or something to that affect, and old back up is being used. Something like that anyway.

Why?

-Top left of their page with the banner of 15th anniversary. It's not their 15th anniversary anymore. They started up in 1992... 16 years ago now.

-It states on the bottom right of their page, copyright 2007.

-Also it keeps on showing older series on their main page. DNAngel, Excel Saga, Maburaho and the like for them to be promoting the most now? Doesn't seem likely. Maybe a while ago, but not now.

bglassbrook wrote:
I would put this well over 65% because of the dotNetNuke logo that cropped up after the database was clearly squirrelled for a few days.

IMO this is the simplest answer: the ADV site broke so they put up an old version until it's fixed.

Pretty much the whole ADV site was popping up with database problems for a few days last week. Is it really that hard to believe that they just took down the current version of the site to fix it and put up an older version for the interim?

Why is there no comment? It may be an issue of poor communications between the IT and PR departments so no one that can say anything actually knows/understands what's going on. I mean really, IT-speak and PR-speak might as well be two totally different languages.

Maybe the IT department just didn't tell anyone and assumed they'd have it fixed before anyone noticed? If you've ever worked in an IT department you know the dread of talking to anyone outside the department about what you're doing because trying to explain it to them is a painful process.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Just to shed some light onto this issue, the same thing happened to Utawarerumono. It was removed from The Anime Network website and ADV Films website a while back. Sounds like a simple website mess-up.

Not.

My college anime club has been showing Utawarerumono this past semester. We bought all the ADV R1 releases, and each semester we email them to get permission for showing it at our club. (We do this for all series we show). We were able to get permission from ADV to show last semester. When we tried to do it for this semester, this is what we got from Chris Oarr (who is apparently in their marketing department):
Quote:

Unfortunately ADV cannot provide screening permission to your group for Utawarerumono. We do not have that authority on that title.

Regretfully,

Chris Oarr
ADV Films

When we tried to follow up on any explanation for this, this is what we got:
Quote:

I am sorry you experienced difficulties finding a contact for screening
permissions. For future reference, you can always send screening
requests to me at this email address!

At this time, however, I cannot give screening permissions for
Utawarerumono. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

It makes absolutely no sense. How can they have the authority to do so last year, but not this year? The only logical explanation is the Japanese company has rescinded their rights on the title. Then it is quite natural to extend this to all titles that have also disappeared from their website.

Can this be a sign of ADV's imminent implosion? That would make me extremely sad because I really want my 5cm/s and Kanon Sad

At least I got all my Air TV.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
My college anime club has been showing Utawarerumono this past semester. We bought all the ADV R1 releases, and each semester we email them to get permission for showing it at our club. (We do this for all series we show). We were able to get permission from ADV to show last semester.

It makes absolutely no sense. How can they have the authority to do so last year, but not this year? The only logical explanation is the Japanese company has rescinded their rights on the title. Then it is quite natural to extend this to all titles that have also disappeared from their website.

So what's stopping you from having a club "er Party" at someones house, and Utawarerumono just happens to be playing on your TV when your club "er Friends" come over to visit for drinks and pizza. Don't need any permission to have "friends" over and watch anime. Smile Razz

Guess you could kind of think of it as an Anime Frat Party. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xstylus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Quote:
Announcing the problem makes it harder to fix it, and in fact makes the problem worse because vendors aren't comfortable buying product from troubled companies and may even start shipping back unsold product prematurely "just in case" so that they don't get stuck with them if the worst happens. Also, consumers may withhold purchases too. On-the-fence people who were thinking about buying any of the the multi-disc series on the MIA list are probably reconsidering now.

Isn't an abrupt withdrawing of unreleased titles from their website during a time where other companies have withdrawn titles reason enough for people to assume a "just in case mode"? Heck, until this thing passes over as a mistake, I'm not even going to buy the Kanon DVD because this whole thing gives off bad vibes.

No, because they haven't actually PULLED the shows from their release roster yet, just their website. RightStuf still lists them and other retailers still list them. When and if ADV issues a notice to retailers about the delay/cancellation of those titles, that's when to worry.

Quote:

I really don't see how not givng a prompt sitrep to the public is going to make things any easier for them in a situation where Geneon and Viz has run into enourmous problems, assuming this may have been error.

ADV is a private company. It is not accountable to anyone but itself and the Sojitz group they partnered with (and hopefully still are). They have no need nor obligation to give a "sitrep" to the public. If the news was positive, they probably would have done so already. If the news is bad, then they're doing the right thing by keeping quiet until they've found a way to fix their situation.

Quote:

If they are cancelling titles, not telling the public quickly enough about it will only strengthen fan distrust that may come with cancelling said titles. At least the customers' distrust of the company will increase less if ADV promptly announced a cancellation of a title, giving a window of opportunity for customers to cancel their orders.

Sure. If they're cancelling titles, it doesn't matter if they announce it now or a day before an MIA title's intended release. People will be just as pissed.

And the thing they DON'T want is for customers to go rush off and cancel orders (although they're probably doing that anyway) because they're probably still looking to fix the problem -- assuming the problem can be fixed -- heck, assuming there's a problem at all.

Last edited by xstylus on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral wrote:
W-General wrote:
My college anime club has been showing Utawarerumono this past semester. We bought all the ADV R1 releases, and each semester we email them to get permission for showing it at our club. (We do this for all series we show). We were able to get permission from ADV to show last semester.

So what's stopping you from having a club "er Party" at someones house, and Utawarerumono just happens to be playing on your TV when your club "er Friends" come over to visit for drinks and pizza. Don't need any permission to have "friends" over and watch anime. Smile Razz

For reals man. The anime companies have bigger fish to fry and things to deal with than worry weather a small college club is showing an anime. It's not like an ADV or whatever rep goes to your school. Just enjoy the DVDs.
W-General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
GrdAdmiral wrote:
W-General wrote:

For reals man. The anime companies have bigger fish to fry and things to deal with than worry weather a small college club is showing an anime. It's not like an ADV or whatever rep goes to your school. Just enjoy the DVDs.

Our anime club is much more structured and established than you might think...

Nothing is stopping us from enjoying it at private functions (e.g. someone's house) - this is what we plan to do.

But for our official club showing to the general public (which is listed on our club website showing schedule), it is university policy that we acquire permission from companies for whatever we show. And we have good reasons for it - our club got shut down twice by the university for showing fansubs so we avoid any such fringe activities Smile

Anyway, now we have to resort to finding alternatives to fill in the timeslot (the same thing happened to black lagoon 2nd barrage, which will never come out -_-)
Dr.G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I dont think they will go down. I mean when the other company went down they fired a bunch of staff like 2 weeks or so b4 they actually went out of business.

Also it looks like ADV might just be trimming the fat. I was a business major and from experience if you want to turn your company around you trim the fat so thats the reason why those anime club support was cut because they probaly figured out that they spend more money on that then they get back so they cut it.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Are they still saying "no comment" to this whole situation?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Are they still saying "no comment" to this whole situation?

I thought for sure there would be more news on the front page by now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I must admit it is a bit frustrating they've had nothing so say about this still. I know a lot of companies do damage control and play it safe with what they release to the public, but man, at this point I feel safe in assuming that not making a statement is more damaging than if they just spoke up.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yeah, I must admit it is a bit frustrating they've had nothing so say about this still. I know a lot of companies do damage control and play it safe with what they release to the public, but man, at this point I feel safe in assuming that not making a statement is more damaging than if they just spoke up.

Have you guys contacted them today and made them aware of the fact that not telling us may be damaging to them?

Tell them that guys like me would love to start ordering their DVDs again but can't do it until this whole mess gets cleared up.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
On another note; you can disagree, but do so respectfully as is stated in the rules. Name calling is completely unnecessary.
I apologize for that. As I posted, I was tired and a bit frustrated when I was posting. I overreacted a bit and it was not my intention to be insulting.

I understand what you're saying about Geneon, but we've seen a lot of scaling back and more than a few completely cancelled releases lately. At the same time, those who actually have access to sales figures have told us that what is coming out is not selling anywhere near what it used to.

All of this seems to indicate that the industry in the R1 is heading for a massive reduction. One of the primary costs for an R1 release is, whether we want to debate language preferences or not, the English dub. Eliminating that is the quickest and easiest, though I doubt the wisest, way to cut costs.

I'm an English dub fan. It's my preference. I also like other expensive extras like art boxes, but they're secondary if I'm really interested in a series. It's my belief that after the weakest companies die, those that remain will largely switch to a box set release format for most series with "niche" series, which are very often the ones I like the most, going sub-only.

In other words, I think I'm not going to have much if anything to buy in times to come anyway, so I might as well start saving my money now. There are bunch of PVCs I want and I'd love to get a decent laptop before the end of the year.

Keonyn wrote:
So don't buy it right away. It's easy enough to purchase a series in a box set or when enough is released that you know it'll be released in its entirety. There's black and there's white, yes, but there's a whole shade of grey in between. Not everything has to be off and on. There's ways to support the industry without buying things right away as they come out and there's ways to play it safe without giving the industry the finger in the process.
Box sets with ADV tend toward no extras, which is the only reason I've generally avoided their box sets. Even if I'm not particularly interested in them, it drives me nuts when they aren't there.

Plus, what's happening with ADV right now feels much like what happened with Geneon. The deafening silence just makes things all the more likely to be bad. When you have good news, people won't shut up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20