• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
God mode really wasn't that great either. There was so much more they could have done with the last episode.

Like?

This was the chapter they skipped earlier in favor of the broken game. Considering the broken game was between Shiori's arc and the next girl it makes sense that they'd move it here. Makes for a better spectacle than the broken game and shows why Keima is called a God of gaming.

Unless you'd rather the anime team invent their own stuff

Quote:
Also - not interested in the new character. All I was thinking when I saw her was, "great, now they can spend 3 episodes developing her as well."

So you demand plot progression and more info on the universe (more about Hell and Loose Souls) then condemn the character that provides a major part of that development in just one look?

Quote:
If the anime really is an indication of the manga's quality, I'm EXTREMELY glad I didn't read it.

Pacing is the anime's biggest problem and none of those pacing issues exist in the manga. There's no singing or over-winded monologues. Not to mention what may have been bad for 30 minutes on TV is much less so (and even works) in 20 pages.

Basically, if you saw some potential in the series then the manga should fulfill it since it's not dragged down by some of the issues the adaptation brought. It all just flows better on page than in motion. Many of the anime team's decisions are quite puzzling.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay i dont read the manga but i will say I enjoyed the show. well some of it. The last episode was just Fanservice for me I LOOOOOOOOVE Video Games so getting to play name the console was awesome and I even saw a few games i recognised like Excite Bike remember that? Smile hehe.

Anyway, second season will most likely follow the same formula as season 1 so yeah its gonna be monotonous. Ill watch it simply because I love Kemias' rants. "My enjoyment (of games) Burns to the Soul"

No truer words have been spoken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="kiddtic"]Okay i don't read the manga but i will say I enjoyed the show. well some of it. The last episode was just Fanservice for me I LOOOOOOOOVE Video Games so getting to play name the console was awesome and I even saw a few games i recognised like Excite Bike remember that? Smile hehe.[quote]

Yeah as a big gamer I loved all the little tidbits in this episode. I was quite amused with how Keima managed to play games with the Power Glove and that thing he was standing on as well as play a bullet hell game with the Wii-mote

Quote:
Anyway, second season will most likely follow the same formula as season 1 so yeah its gonna be monotonous. Ill watch it simply because I love Kemias' rants. "My enjoyment (of games) Burns to the Soul"

Actually, at least a couple of the girls should expand the story/universe either by showing more of the effects a loose soul has or information regarding Hell and why these loose souls are being hunted.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ugh, episode twelve's ending song may just be the worst I've ever heard. It does seem like it was made intentionally bad, but tell that to my poor ears. Well, what's left of them. I had to hack most of them off, such was how they wilted under that sonic onslaught.*

As for the episode itself, well the series has never made secret its yearning to be wacky and weird, and unburdened by the impetus to focus on the capturing side of things. I liked the Conquest Mode, that was awesome. As for the entire show, well it never again reached the impressive height of episode one. Hopefully season two won't be so padded out.

Never forget. (sniff)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
What a great season finale! Now you know why Keima is called the God of Gaming, anyone who spoiler[can play 6 games logically and fast at the same time and later 24 games] deserves to be called that title.

Also the ED song was hilarious. Gotta love Hiro for making Keima singing hilariously bad!

Can't wait for the 2nd season.[/spoiler]
kevinl1588

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:42 am Reply with quote
i just can't wait to see spoiler[haqua] in season 2
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:
God mode really wasn't that great either. There was so much more they could have done with the last episode.

Like?

This was the chapter they skipped earlier in favor of the broken game. Considering the broken game was between Shiori's arc and the next girl it makes sense that they'd move it here. Makes for a better spectacle than the broken game and shows why Keima is called a God of gaming.

Again - could have been accomplished in significantly less time and even done in a more engaging way.

Quote:
Unless you'd rather the anime team invent their own stuff

Maybe it would have been better if they did. I mean, it was obviously made of fail from the get go. The concept is great but, if the anime follows the manga so closely then the manga must be equally lacking in plot and development while it dilly dallies around with uninteresting side stories and antics that really aren't that perplexing or fun.

Quote:
Quote:
Also - not interested in the new character. All I was thinking when I saw her was, "great, now they can spend 3 episodes developing her as well."

So you demand plot progression and more info on the universe (more about Hell and Loose Souls) then condemn the character that provides a major part of that development in just one look?

Condemn might be a bit strong... I'm just not interested. After seeing how they do character development in this show, why would I be? I'm not interested in being spoon fed cheap back stories coupled with a dragging plot.

Quote:
Quote:
If the anime really is an indication of the manga's quality, I'm EXTREMELY glad I didn't read it.

Pacing is the anime's biggest problem and none of those pacing issues exist in the manga. There's no singing or over-winded monologues. Not to mention what may have been bad for 30 minutes on TV is much less so (and even works) in 20 pages.

So, instead of 30 minutes of internal monologue from the librarian girl and countless "..." bubbles appearing around her, we get 20 pages? Still seems a bit excessive...

Quote:
Basically, if you saw some potential in the series then the manga should fulfill it since it's not dragged down by some of the issues the adaptation brought. It all just flows better on page than in motion. Many of the anime team's decisions are quite puzzling.

The point I'm trying to make here is that, if the manga was so brilliantly done, then why bother dragging it out for the anime? You claimed earlier that they did the manga justice with the adaptation. Which, to me, means that the manga is another gigantic money grabber (filled with fluff instead of stuff) as well. If I read the manga first and didn't care for it, I certainly wouldn't watch the anime. If I watch the anime first and don't care for it, I certainly wouldn't read the manga. That's just how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: This was a god awful attempt at how NOT to quote. If you're quoting someone, quote the relevant parts only. If there's too much to quote, simply put "@user" and say what you want. Otherwise, there's absolutely no reason to take up needless space and fuglify the page with a massive quote just so to respond with a two-sentence reply. -TK]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:
In my opinion, this adaptation absolutely DIDN'T the manga justice.

Smile

In other words, they accidentally the whole thing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Again - could have been accomplished in significantly less time and even done in a more engaging way.

While I liked the final episode I'll admit that I do not consider it good finale material. The problem is the anime team decided to end the season here which left them little choice but to decide which side chapter to end it with. The manga never treated this event a finale (in fact God Mode was revealed much earlier in the series). It was a non-capturing chapter that developed Keima's gaming obsession to the audience. In the manga it was the first major window into how deep he is into gaming. It sort of lost its edge this late into the anime.

After Shiori's arc is hardly unique enough to end things like this imo. The best place to end it would be after the next girl or part way through the girl after her(due to the events of that arc). But, if I had to chose between God Mode and the broken game then I'd also go with God Mode.

Bento-Box wrote:
Maybe it would have been better if they did. I mean, it was obviously made of fail from the get go. The concept is great but, if the anime follows the manga so closely then the manga must be equally lacking in plot and development while it dilly dallies around with uninteresting side stories and antics that really aren't that perplexing or fun.

You didn't like all the singing and stuff they invented, why would you like that? Like I said, the anime team is stretching 20 pages into 30 minutes here. Of course it doesn't flow as well.

in the manga it all moves at a much better pace so any things you might have a problem with are over in a few pages or even just a few panels. One of the things I didn't like about Shiori's arc in the anime was how much time the screen spent panning across all the shelves and books in the library. In the anime they eat up minutes. In the manga, they're just a couple of panels used to help transition scenes. Those shots were way worse to me than anything Shiori said sans her 2 minute monologue (which again, didn't exist in the manga)

Going back to another point:

Quote:
Condemn might be a bit strong... I'm just not interested. After seeing how they do character development in this show, why would I be? I'm not interested in being spoon fed cheap back stories coupled with a dragging plot.

Keep in mind, a lot of back story stuff for each girl in the anime is anime original too. Nothing of Kanon's old band is mentioned in the actual chapters of the manga. If it is, it's part of the side information included in the volume release. So maybe that's where the anime team got the idea for that. And there is only one flashback in Shiori's arc to when she broke the vase. That flashback to when she couldn't enter the music room was also anime original. Without this stuff and the extra exposition they added, things develop without a sense of dragging. I never felt the manga dragged while I do feel the anime dragged.

Quote:
So, instead of 30 minutes of internal monologue from the librarian girl and countless "..." bubbles appearing around her, we get 20 pages? Still seems a bit excessive...

oh please, there was never 30 minutes of internal dialogue from Shiori. Nor is there 20 pages of "..." in the manga. Now your using hyperbole.

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make here is that, if the manga was so brilliantly done, then why bother dragging it out for the anime? You claimed earlier that they did the manga justice with the adaptation. Which, to me, means that the manga is another gigantic money grabber (filled with fluff instead of stuff) as well.

I have plenty of problems with this anime but not enough to dislike it. I can say I am disappointed at the overall pacing and changes the anime team made but I was pleased with how they expanded on God Mode given what it's supposed to reference. The mangaka is very knowledgeable on games and other geek stuff. However I do agree that, while well animated, it shouldn't be stretched into a full episode. These side chapters would make better half-episodes than full ones.

I like this anime. I will watch the next season. However I do think it has a number of faults as an anime. I'm mainly watching because I want to see how well some scenes and characters are adapted. I didn't like what they added to Kanon's arc but I did like the extra tidbits they added to the God Mode episode. This anime also gets big props from me for how well Elsie acted on screen. He seiyuu and the way they animated her was downright perfect imo. However, Keima seems "weaker" and less grandiose in the anime than he is in the manga for some reason.

Basically, I much prefer the manga as a product than the anime.

The manga has much less fluff slowing things down than the anime. Not to mention you can read at your own pace. You can spend as much time as you want dwelling on one scene or moving quickly to something more interesting.

For the anime it'll take a full season and maybe three episodes to reach the first major plot development. That will be about 6 hours of anime, which I agree is too much. That same development occurs 22 chapters into the manga.

Probably took me just over an hour to get to that. I started when around 50 chapters were available and used an afternoon to read it all since I liked it so much.

Of course, this is where I must ask if this is even a genre you like. This is a long-running shounen manga. It's at around 125 chapters at this point and in the middle of a major overarching arc that these beginning arcs play a part in.

Quote:
If I read the manga first and didn't care for it, I certainly wouldn't watch the anime. If I watch the anime first and don't care for it, I certainly wouldn't read the manga. That's just how it goes.

Pft. There are plenty off sub-par anime adaptions of otherwise great manga. This is hardly a unique case. I could easily list plenty of anime's I didn't like that I later loved the manga of. It's part of why I'm more of a manga fan than and anime fan.

It's like someone saying they'll never read a great book because they didn't like the movie/television adaption. Let's face it, some stories work better on paper. There's plenty of great stuff on paper I would have missed with your attitude.

I think TWGOK had a decent adaptation. I still consider it far inferior to the manga especially in the realm of pacing.

Same with Bakuman this Fall. One of my favorite manga with one of the most colorful cast of characters out there. The anime on the other hand is way to slow for my taste

Last edited by Royal Devil on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 16 times in total
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
its been made clear that the pacing issues are because this was gonna have 2 seasons from the start. I'm sure if a second season was uncertain they would of gone through material at a much faster rate. but i think they did quite well and look forward to seeing how they do in season 2.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

In other words, they accidentally the whole thing?

Royal Devil told really many things that I share.
I think that many choices of the direction were wrong.
I hope that the next season will be better, but I fear it will have the same problems, because the production staff should be the same.
Don't think that it's impossibile to like the manga, but to dislike the anime.
Many anime are inferior to their original source, this is not the first case.
Of course, you could dislike also the manga...Everyone has their own personal taste.

[EDIT: Learn to quote better. -TK]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 here we go. And to think it's already been 2 years!

I'll start by stating that I really liked about everything on episode 1. The pace, girl, and gags.
So, even though it may be hopeless, I'm hoping for 2 episode arcs and I don't care if we have other episodes without any girls as long as they keep each girl within 2 episodes and no more. But judging by the opening (3 girls and a new adorable demon) I'm not very positive about it. That new demon looks quite attractive... now if only her personality ("playful, sensual, and naughty," prays egoist).
And, is it me or are they going for older girls now?
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm Reply with quote
For a moment there, I thought they'd finish Kusunoki in just one episode. Might be adding more date hijinks for 2.

egoist wrote:
And, is it me or are they going for older girls now?

Some are older, some are younger, some are Keima's age.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I mean who appear physically older. Numeric age in anime is complete bologus if you ask me. Laughing

But I also thought they'd finish it within an episode, even if only for an instant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 24