• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The World God Only Knows (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was beautiful. The atmosphere, the music and the interaction with the characters makes it more better then manga chapters it was based on.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
episode 7 was awesome. the second season has completely surpassed the first and i really hope for a third season now.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this season has already proven itself to me. Now I just hope they at least break even. Even if the discs aren't enough, imo, if they create proper figures of the most popular characters they should get there somehow. Dunno what's the budget of the show, but probably not much.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:

Wait, it's their best selling series but it's barely profitable? If the rest of Manglobe's series are doing so poorly, how does the company even exist still?

And it's their best selling series and is making them money, but there's no reason to continue?

Well here's the official DVDs sales of the anime's they made:

Sales: No. of volumes: Anime's name
3,097 3 The World God Only Knows
2,218 13 Samurai Champloo
2,146 6 The Sacred Blacksmith
1,998 9 Ergo Proxy

As you can see, despite only half of the 1st season DVDs being on sale, TWGOK has the most DVDs Manglobe has ever sold which by their standards is a hit.

With these these numbers, i believe the anime will have future seasons. Of course with Manglobe animating Deadman Wonderland and the Hayate the Combat Butler movie, the studio is here to stay as long as their other franchise's remain profitable.[/quote]

why are you looking at dvd sale data? Nobody buys dvd anymore. Even Madoka, IS two of the most popular anime last season don't do well on dvd. You should look at blu-ray sales. The second season blu-ray is not out yet. so we will look at the latest one instead. I don't know the number, i think it will be around 2-3k first week.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-23/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-may-9-15
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
why are you looking at dvd sale data? Nobody buys dvd anymore. Even Madoka, IS two of the most popular anime last season don't do well on dvd. You should look at blu-ray sales. The second season blu-ray is not out yet. so we will look at the latest one instead. I don't know the number, i think it will be around 2-3k first week.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-05-23/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-may-9-15

Actually i made a mistake. What i posted before was the Blu-ray sales of those series.
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
Manglobe be trolling with Episode 8 in regards to nods to future content.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
My two favorite funny moments in ep8

spoiler[Keima asking the miniature people if they want to go to New York and "Little Keima" doing "indecent things" with "Little Haqua". Laughing]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, Manglobe really needs to keep animating this. How did the first season's sales go btw?

Surprisingly this changed what I already considered a solid top 5 this season.
Now: Steins;Gate > C > World God Only Knows II > Blue Exorcist > Deadman Wonderland.
Eivion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
The Jumbo Tsuruta references in episode 9 were fun. Not really a fan of his, but its nice to get a non Inoki wrestler reference. This season has been pretty good and a nice improvement over the first. Hopefully this latest arc can end it on a high note.
bapplef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:12 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Episode 6 was beautiful. The atmosphere, the music and the interaction with the characters makes it more better then manga chapters it was based on.

Totally agree. Beautiful
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
... and does that mean we're having a third season?

Hope so. That ending clearly said it, right?
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm betting they'll say something after the OVA is released in a few months.

Which is going to be so hnnng worthy. It's the 2-B Pencils arc a.k.a lets form a light music club! Which happens to be one of my fav little plots in the manga, mainly because it has to do with Yui's arc later on kinda.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Another amazing season finale!

And i love the tease they made for the next girls Keima meets.

Here's hoping for season 3.
viu6b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
... and does that mean we're having a third season?

Hope so. That ending clearly said it, right?

yea the ending did seem like a dead give away for there being a 3rd season. well hopefully that won't change. *fingers crossed*
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I caught up to this the other night and I ended up giving an excellent rating. The writers just seemed to hit all the right notes.

Although I usually don't like slapstick, I love how Keima often ends up getting flattened when he fails to realize that his game-world experience can result in a punch in the jaw in the real world. Just before that happens he is always so aloof and cool and confident and a lesser anime would have kept him in that pose through the conflict.

All that aside I cam here to point out that there is a bit of underhanded anti political-correctness here. The premise of the show is that all women can be conquered if you can just push the buttons to a series of multiple-choice questions correctly. Even the girls with software bugs. The story reinforces this message again and again.

Come to think of it, is that really not PC?

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 24