• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

I've watched Genesis, it's been a while and i may not remember every detail, but i've watched (and loved) it. But no amount of re-watching Genesis will ever turn Charioce into a well-written character...

I don't care whether or not he's evil or whether or not the demons or the gods are/have been even more evil, Charioce is just an incredibly dull character. That's why i'm having such a hard time buying that Nina (or anyone) would fall for him. This show would have been a lot better off without the romance as this week's ep. which made me Rolling Eyes a lot proved again (all IMO, of course...). Favaro was awesome as usual, though.

But hey, the show is still fun and i'm looking forward to the climax which hopefully won't make me cringe too much. Smile

Some of my confusion isn't even about Genesis in relation to Charioce. Actually, it's the least. It's just that people don't seem to know (or maybe forgot) how the demons were and what humans were going through, and what kind of character Azazel is. It's weird to see people defend him or see him as fine (especially in comparison to Charioce though), as he took glee in the murders he committed, and subsequent humiliation/mental torture).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Why would Jeanne be surprised? She was there when Nina addressed Charioce while trying to break out of prison, and she's not daft. She probably suspected something then. It wasn't like they didn't obviously have something going on.

She doesn't seem to be very quick on the uptake. After the above Nina all but told her in the hot springs and she still didn't seem to get who she was talking about (unless I misremembered when that took place).

Anyway, things seem to be unfolding about as expected, though a bit more sloppy in the telling than I expected. When not openly expositing, any narrative threads were lost in the fisticuffs and explosions.

Like, I'm not clear on how Charioce got out of the center of ground zero and into one of those dragon ships, or what they were for in the first place since it didn't seem to affect anything when half of them got destroyed. I'm even more confused about why he wants to take Bahamut into the city. I think I need a map. Is Anatae the city or the country?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm even more confused about why he wants to take Bahamut into the city.

Probably to make it easier to aim the hand-cannon, though it does seem like things could go very wrong doing it that way.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
manapear wrote:
Why would Jeanne be surprised? She was there when Nina addressed Charioce while trying to break out of prison, and she's not daft. She probably suspected something then. It wasn't like they didn't obviously have something going on.

She doesn't seem to be very quick on the uptake. After the above Nina all but told her in the hot springs and she still didn't seem to get who she was talking about (unless I misremembered when that took place).

Anyway, things seem to be unfolding about as expected, though a bit more sloppy in the telling than I expected. When not openly expositing, any narrative threads were lost in the fisticuffs and explosions.

Like, I'm not clear on how Charioce got out of the center of ground zero and into one of those dragon ships, or what they were for in the first place since it didn't seem to affect anything when half of them got destroyed. I'm even more confused about why he wants to take Bahamut into the city. I think I need a map. Is Anatae the city or the country?

I actually forgot about the hotsprings scene. From what I remember, she didn't seem like she knew, but there was a chance she got it, but wasn't saying anything. (Or kind of "didn't care.") I'll need to go and rewatch.

Yeah, there were some rushed and quick parts, so it could have been more solid.

Anatae should be the (capitol) city. I don't remember if Mistracia is the kingdom, or the world.

Did he have another weapon that wasn't mentioned? Or wasn't there more experiments with the hand or something?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
So we are finally learning half of what Charioce's plans are. Apparently, he had this book the whole time that foretold of Bahamut coming back and he plans to bring it back early to kill it off. And, he didn't share this information with the rest of the world, because???? Oh, no particular reason, plot convenience and all, so that everyone in the world would oppose him and he could kill and enslave them all and be a genocidal badass. You know, cool dude stuff.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Apparently, he had this book the whole time that foretold of Bahamut coming back and he plans to bring it back early to kill it off.

I'm sure that at the end of the day, Nina's main takeaway from all of this is going to be something like, "wow, he reads books? it's so rare to find someone who reads anymore!"
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm really curious; for those that can't stand Charioce and find him uninteresting, what would make him worthwhile? Would it be openly emoting more, or more visually and obviously suffering?

Would having a redemption arc similar to Azazel's be redeeming? I see a lot of "for no reason" with Charioce and his motives that bugs people, and I can understand that. But Azazel tortured, murdered and humiliated humans for no other reason than it was entertaining to him, so what separates these two?

Is Azazel more acceptable now, because he's had to suffer and look pathetic and pitiable, and that's something people want from Charioce?
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Why would Jeanne be surprised?
Are you being serious here?

Jeanne has had her entire life turned upside down by the king. She has been actually slighted by him in a very real fashion. She had to run away from home as a single mom and was a political prisoner in a gulag for God knows how many years. She had to personally tear off her son's wings so he could pass as a demon and not get immediately murdered on sight. Then he got stabbed by some noble stooge looking to get in good with the king's favorite unit. No flimsy "b-but he dumped me" sob story bullshit that they push down our throats with Nina. She has more motivation and more reason to be the MC in her pinky's nail than Nina has in her entire useless dragon body.

It is the height of absurdity and terrible writing that she wouldn't even be the slightest bit annoyed at the girl whom she thought was her ally but was secretly having an affair with the man who ruined her life.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Just watched 22. I forgot about Martinet's room. I wonder if something like the barb will come up again too, as I thought that would be able to do Bahamut in. Even more, I wonder if the conclusion here (or after another potential season?) is what leads into Granblue Fantasy. (As loose though closely tied as the two franchises are.)

I want to see Amira again, but I know that's done and over. But I have a small hint of hope, since Bahamut has reawakened.

Chrysostomus wrote:
manapear wrote:
Why would Jeanne be surprised?
Are you being serious here?

Jeanne has had her entire life turned upside down by the king. She has been actually slighted by him in a very real fashion. She had to run away from home as a single mom and was a political prisoner in a gulag for God knows how many years. She had to personally tear off her son's wings so he could pass as a demon and not get immediately murdered on sight. Then he got stabbed by some noble stooge looking to get in good with the king's favorite unit. No flimsy "b-but he dumped me" sob story bullshit that they push down our throats with Nina. She has more motivation and more reason to be the MC in her pinky's nail than Nina has in her entire useless dragon body.

It is the height of absurdity and terrible writing that she wouldn't even be the slightest bit annoyed at the girl whom she thought was her ally but was secretly having an affair with the man who ruined her life.

She also had her life screwed over by the gods (twice) and was manipulated by them as well. And yet, she still works with them. (Especially when it comes to Gabriel's evil, selfish self.) Did you forget that Gabriel wanted to use El to put the humans in their place and didn't care what happened to Jeanne (and she didn't really care about El, outside of his power)? Plenty of characters in this show are horrible and with many layers to them. I'm not saying Charioce is more right or wrong than the gods or anything (and I don't care, when almost everyone is or has been horrible, why start comparing?), but it just doesn't make sense to me that Jeanne should care much about who Nina is in love with after all of Jeanne's dealings with the gods, between Genesis and Virgin Soul.

Ultimately even, it doesn't matter for Jeanne if Nina was having an "affair" with Charioce. Nina didn't command for any of that to be done, and at every step, has tried to do her part to help whoever has been wronged. Nina isn't guilty of Charioce's crimes. And this episode called out Charioce's indirect killing of El, but it still doesn't matter. As Jeanne said: she lost her son. Really, I hope she also ensures Gabriel gets her comeuppance too, because it bugs me knowing some of these characters have had to sit back and act like life is oh so hard for them, even while not caring about who has suffered more, and because of their own negligence.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
At this point, Bahamut : VS seems pretty much doomed to be tossed in the bad anime sequel series pile. What a pity.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
This is just poor writing. This reveal is absolute BS. The human made a plan to vanquis Bahamut once and for all and they want us to believe that the gods and demons were not interested? They should be MORE interested since they WILL live long enough for Bahamut to toast them when he revives.

And exactly how was killing the gods and enslaving the demons beneficial to this grand plan? What benefit exactly did enslaving demons have except to pit the demons against the humans? Serioulsy, the king was being a dick just to be a dick. Here's a better plan:

1. Find lost technology.
2. Build new technology.
3. DO NOT ATTACK THE GODS! This step is important.
4. DO NOT ENSLAVE THE DEMONS! This step is also important.
5. Finish your construction early because nobody was getting in you way.
6. To a test run of new weapon. Gods will see you have forbidden technology and come down.
7. Explain plan to gods. Convince them to help. Since you didn't murder most of them they might agree.
8a: If gods don't agree, continue as in the anime. But at least you finished constructing it first.
8b: If gods agree try and convince the demons as well.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is just poor writing. This reveal is absolute BS. The human made a plan to vanquis Bahamut once and for all and they want us to believe that the gods and demons were not interested? They should be MORE interested since they WILL live long enough for Bahamut to toast them when he revives.

And exactly how was killing the gods and enslaving the demons beneficial to this grand plan? What benefit exactly did enslaving demons have except to pit the demons against the humans? Serioulsy, the king was being a dick just to be a dick. Here's a better plan:

1. Find lost technology.
2. Build new technology.
6. To a test run of new weapon. Gods will see you have forbidden technology and come down.
7. Explain plan to gods. Convince them to help. Since you didn't murder most of them they might agree.
8a: If gods don't agree, continue as in the anime. But at least you finished constructing it first.

^^ So much this. The reveal was extremely frustrating because it completely disregards everything that happened for the first 3/4 of this sesason. How would enslaving the demons and killing off the angels help AT ALL with destroying Bahamut? Especially with the amount of gods/demons/humans killed during the process. I mean the story for both seasons was never great but I still enjoy them for the spectacle they provide. Here's to hoping the ending delivers on the visual/action front.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
I've seen many shows crash hard before...

Including the first season, GENESIS. The final act of that show was a trainwreck, so it should come as no surprise that the sequel's final act has also turned out crap. The only reason more people are noticing this time is because Virgin Soul was pretty weakly written to begin with, so there wasn't such a big foundation of goodwill to keep people placated when things turned (even more) sour.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
She also had her life screwed over by the gods (twice) and was manipulated by them as well. And yet, she still works with them. (Especially when it comes to Gabriel's evil, selfish self.)
This is true, and it's true that the gods are mostly huge a-holes but they have done some things for her. Once upon a time they did give her a purpose and inhuman power. They also gave her a child. If I was a mother I would also team up with shady untrustworthy jerks to get back at the guy responsible for my son's death. They are her only recourse, unfortunately. So yeah, it is true that she should be angry at them too, but also she should not act so indifferent to Nina's romantic exploits, which are a huge plot point.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

1. Find lost technology.
2. Build new technology.

To get the lost technology, they needed the gods to unseal it or get what they need to do it themselves from the gods, and the gods didn't seem amenable to that. Which is understandable as even if he succeeded in his plan, which is not without its downsides, he could just use it to usurp the gods and demons after killing Bahamut. Enslaving the demons was counterproductive though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 23