• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Film in Development at Fox

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Spike doesn't have an afro. And del Toro? I'd rather get someone who looks, can act like Spike and just slap a wig on him than to go with someone that doen't/can't because he already has the hair...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Deity: The problem is that Keanu neither looks nor acts like Spike.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

More accurately, NO ONE looks or acts like Spike, since he's an animated character. Rolling Eyes
Deity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

That's why I didn't endorse him. And didn't you mean "CAN'T" act like Spike? Twisted Evil My personal feeling is that they essentially cast unknowns to a three picture deal. It will be cheaper, free them from the exhorbitant costs of having a "brand name star" and make it easier to get them all out quicker than using the before said name brand stars. And although I did suggest Morrena Baccarin - LINK DELETED BY POSTER - for the role of Faye, an actress that is not unknown in the true sense of the word, IF SHE CAN'T fully capture the vitatlity and nuances of the role, then pass. Just looking the part is not enough.

But boy what I wouldn't give to see her made up as Faye Evil or Very Mad
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think Keanu could do it. He's just not that good of an actor. Often he can be pretty wooden. I think Spike is a very tricky character. On the surface he's really rather subdued. He's not just wooden like Reeves though. He's got a ton of subtlety to his personality. There's a lot going on beneath the surface. It would take a pretty talented actor to pull it off right.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't really think Keanu could do it. He's just not that good of an actor. Often he can be pretty wooden. I think Spike is a very tricky character. On the surface he's really rather subdued. He's not just wooden like Reeves though. He's got a ton of subtlety to his personality. There's a lot going on beneath the surface. It would take a pretty talented actor to pull it off right.

I find that interesting/funny since many people said the same things about heath Ledger in Batman when they found out he'd be the joker. Yet now look at everyone changing their stories and praising him to no end. Just goes to show you never know what they might pull out of their hat.

Maybe I have more faith or belief in Keanu then the rest but I think he could potentially do pretty well in the role. He's done action flicks, can perform the martial arts aspects as well. That's something I cannot see del Toro doing very well. I also don't see Keanu as dead pan as others, but even if Spike is rather subdued for most of the series so it would fit anyway. Honestly there could be better choices but they could do a whole lot worse.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I find that interesting/funny since many people said the same things about heath Ledger in Batman when they found out he'd be the joker. Yet now look at everyone changing their stories and praising him to no end. Just goes to show you never know what they might pull out of their hat.

Maybe I have more faith or belief in Keanu then the rest but I think he could potentially do pretty well in the role. He's done action flicks, can perform the martial arts aspects as well. That's something I cannot see del Toro doing very well. I also don't see Keanu as dead pan as others, but even if Spike is rather subdued for most of the series so it would fit anyway. Honestly there could be better choices but they could do a whole lot worse.

Wait, are you saying the Joker is like subdued and subtle like Spike? I haven't seen the new Batman yet but based on the Joker's traditional personality I wouldn't really say he's subdued. Quite the opposite in fact. He's potentially still a very complex character with a lot of subtlety but it's mixed in with a lot of overtness.

Anyway yeah, you never know when a mediocre actor might come up with a great performance. Just because one time that happened though doesn't mean it's got a good chance of happening with a different actor. I agree he wouldn't be an awful choice, just a mediocre one. In all likelihood he would give us a bland wooden Spike that doesn't really do anything particularilly bad but just doesn't bring much good either. Maybe is is best out of the available options but to really capture Spike I think you'd need somebody more skilled.
Deity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, one of the big questions here is how faithful would they be to the source material and would the director be a fan of said material? A good director can bring out a better performance from a ~mediocre actor just like a bad director can limit a good actor. Reeves - with the right material, right direction, could, I think, give an acceptable, maybe even better than hoped for, performance. Or they could try to do it on the cheap and do a pityful movie, one that would have people screaming, "See, no one wants to see a live action version of a cartoon!!!!"

What we all want is to see a well done live action version of an animated product.

And if you haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, you need to. About the only way they could make this more of an adult only movie would be adding nudity or very course language, and beither would simply be gratuitous.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Anyway yeah, you never know when a mediocre actor might come up with a great performance. Just because one time that happened though doesn't mean it's got a good chance of happening with a different actor. I agree he wouldn't be an awful choice, just a mediocre one. In all likelihood he would give us a bland wooden Spike that doesn't really do anything particularilly bad but just doesn't bring much good either. Maybe is is best out of the available options but to really capture Spike I think you'd need somebody more skilled.

But ikillchicken, that's kind of what he is saying, everyone is making a point of how horrible of a choice Keanu Reeves would be, and he came out saying that it may not be horrible as people think. You're going back to reiterate the same thing again... Everyone is sure just not expecting him to work out if it even does happen...

-_-; not very optimistic, are we? I'm agreeing with Psycho101 on this one, if he was cast, there's a 50/50 chance. There will always be a hit or miss, and it's not impossible for it to actually work for Reeves.

xD but hell, he's not cast and we don't know who is, so I'm not really going to care since they're just developing it right now, the cast sure comes later on.

@ Deity - Did you read the article at all...? I mean, the actual link to it? I'm pretty sure that the director HAS to have seen the series at least, he did mention quite a few things about the series...But meh... I'm not going to go on any further, it is 3am.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But ikillchicken, that's kind of what he is saying, everyone is making a point of how horrible of a choice Keanu Reeves would be, and he came out saying that it may not be horrible as people think. You're going back to reiterate the same thing again... Everyone is sure just not expecting him to work out if it even does happen...

Uh yeah. Of course I'm reiterating. I'm agreeing with him. I don't think Keanu would be horrible.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
o_o oh, did you now?

*giggles.* I officially will stop posting on ANN after 2am. It just...doesn't ever work for me. >.>; Tyger sowwies.
Deity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
@ Deity - Did you read the article at all...? I mean, the actual link to it? I'm pretty sure that the director HAS to have seen the series at least, he did mention quite a few things about the series...But meh... I'm not going to go on any further, it is 3am.

Yes, I read the article, but have to admit at the momemnt, don't recall much of it. However, even if this director has seen it, does it mean the next one - if he gets replaced - will or even that he will be faithful? Oh well, it's a long way off and I'm sure many things will change before they even get set...
Kwiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
All articles read and posts scoured...this is a bad idea. History speaks for itself. Anime reboots as live-action films typically don't work for a number of reasons from directors bailing half-way to poor scripts to cast members flopping or loosing interest. Some example of the past have been already mentioned.

All negative, Nancy-ness aside, my biggest concern is the sanctity of a well-written twenty-three episode series being truncated into a derivative Hollywood franchise that'll bend and mold a series (anime series aside--I really think this is a masterpiece of storytelling) into an unrecognizable collection of tinsel-town mish-mash.

Phew!

I like Cowboy Bebop. It's fine the way it is. I know I run the gamut of the cliche over-protective fanboy, but I just hope that they put more efforts into continuing the vision of the Cowboy Bebop ethos instead of recreating it or mocking it or more fatal-mindedly--just screwing it up.

I'm not so afraid of Reeves messing up the role of Spike with his dude-like deliveries or Fox gobbling up all the cool anime title's rights, but really scares me is people being put off of anime because of a bad representation. This goes beyond anime to me. It's about a good story being bastardized. Reeve's acting is at times below par, but it's better if you ask me that he doesn't act well. It drives me crazy when a good actor has the wrong approach. It almost makes it worse.

So my question is this. Fox owns the rights for a film project or whatever, but I think it'd made an really good series.

Why don't they remake the whole series in live action. That would be cool and it'd leave room for writers to create more adventures and that's what we all want, right?
Kwiz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
All articles read and posts scoured...this is a bad idea. History speaks for itself. Anime reboots as live-action films typically don't work for a number of reasons from directors bailing half-way to poor scripts to cast members flopping or loosing interest. Some example of the past have been already mentioned.

All negative, Nancy-ness aside, my biggest concern is the sanctity of a well-written twenty-three episode series being truncated into a derivative Hollywood franchise that'll bend and mold a series (anime series aside--I really think this is a masterpiece of storytelling) into an unrecognizable collection of tinsel-town mish-mash.

Phew!

I like Cowboy Bebop. It's fine the way it is. I know I run the gamut of the cliche over-protective fanboy, but I just hope that they put more efforts into continuing the vision of the Cowboy Bebop ethos instead of recreating it or mocking it or more fatal-mindedly--just screwing it up.

I'm not so afraid of Reeves messing up the role of Spike with his dude-like deliveries or Fox gobbling up all the cool anime title's rights, but really scares me is people being put off of anime because of a bad representation. This goes beyond anime to me. It's about a good story being bastardized. Reeve's acting is at times below par, but it's better if you ask me that he doesn't act well. It drives me crazy when a good actor has the wrong approach. It almost makes it worse.

So my question is this. Fox owns the rights for a film project or whatever, but I think it'd made an really good series.

Why don't they remake the whole series in live action. That would be cool and it'd leave room for writers to create more adventures and that's what we all want, right?
Kwiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote

Phew!

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15