• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Great, now were going to cut away for other stories and leave this hanging. Jesus effing Christ.

NOPE. You're mistaken. Even though there would be another stories, this arc won't be putting on halt.

I don't really consider this a spoiler, but other people may differ. If you don't want to know ANYTHING about what's upcoming then don't read. If you want to know what I mean, then I've left this intentionally really vague. (it's just a broad stroke about cut aways) spoiler[There's a side story about a character who has NOTHING to do with the Hina plot that hasn't even been introduced yet, before we get resolution. Yes, it's only 1 chapter and yes its short, but that kind of thing happens.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well, at least there is hopefully the case that HIna is aware that people have her back, part of the worry might be that the guy's presence was forced on without her wanting him and make things worse.

I realize its only middle school, but despite how sad and angry the whole Hina bullying thing makes me, I have to laugh that they bully her by writing "Hina likes guys" on the chalkboard. I mean, I realize that the IMPLICATION is probably that she's a "slut" or "easy" or something, but the literal taunt just strikes me as "yeah... what's your point?"
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well, at least there is hopefully the case that HIna is aware that people have her back, part of the worry might be that the guy's presence was forced on without her wanting him and make things worse.

I realize its only middle school, but despite how sad and angry the whole Hina bullying thing makes me, I have to laugh that they bully her by writing "Hina likes guys" on the chalkboard. I mean, I realize that the IMPLICATION is probably that she's a "slut" or "easy" or something, but the literal taunt just strikes me as "yeah... what's your point?"

It’s kind of a nice touch if you think about it. There’s probably a lot of nonsense that was just “nonsense”,that we can we all remember from when we were that young. And we probably have all these snarky comebacks at the ready ,but it doesn’t matter,because that’s all in the past now.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

They call her "Bitch", which is an English loan word meaning "Slut" in Japanese. So yes, they are muttering the word "Slut" around her in class.

Here is an article by GaijinAss (the late great Eric C. Barnes) explaining English loan words that are dirty in Japanese. Bitch is number 7 on the list. https://gaijinass.com/2012/06/07/7-english-loan-words-that-are-secret-dirty-in-japanese/
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Well the teacher is a huge bitch. Indeed the feeling of everything going red with anger, after the teacher saying that HIna should be more agreeable, like she is the problem. Akari totally needs to unleash the monsters.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
The sound design during the match was amazing, i could physically feel Rei's rising irritation.

I like it how the opponents are never just cookie-cutter villains or forgettable stepping stones, but they all get their own (quirky) characterization, even if just make a brief appearance
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
Oh goody, so now we are going to leave Hina's situation unresolved while we meander about various shogi matches, are we? Greeeeeeeat.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh goody, so now we are going to leave Hina's situation unresolved while we meander about various shogi matches, are we? Greeeeeeeat.

I did warn you. Crying or Very sad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but another poster seemed to be contradicting you so I was hoping he/she was right. I wonder if it will be too much to hope the Hina bullying arc will be concluded before this season ends...
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I was genuinely touched by his breakdown when Shimada tried to go easy on him—it's clear that Nikaidou deeply values ideals of strength that are almost unpursuable due to his illness, so his “if I'm treated like a weakling even when I play shogi, where am I supposed to live” felt like it spoke to the heart of his character.

That really broke my heart.Crying or Very sad Before this, we've mostly seen Nikaidou as Rei's quirky self-proclaimed rival. Sure, we knew he had some kind of chronic illness but he was always so positive and upbeat that it somehow vanished into the background. So i really loved this episode showing how much he must have suffered and how hard he worked to earn his place in the world of shougi. Ganbatte, Nikaidou-kun!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, “If I'm treated like a weakling even when I play shogi, where am I supposed to live?” was a really affecting plaint, especially given how so often people with serious illnesses are seen by others as their disease instead of as a person who has the disease. This whole episode was full of such beautifully poetic and poignant lines of dialog and narration.

On the lighter side, Hayashida's Godzilla-raging against the homeroom teacher was deft comic relief while still illustrating both his and Rei's sense of helplessness in this situation. Excellent episode.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Despite the slowdown in the season's plot progression by means of Junkei's side story during the first half, Episode 10 is a wonderful demonstration of how 3-gatsu no Lion does a far better job than most shows when it comes to fleshing out a large cast of characters, including secondary characters like Junkei. No one is good or evil, and all shogi players are human beings who have their own unique challenges to face in life. I'll admit I initially thought like, "Why should I care about this guy?", but the first half's excellent use of metaphors in its storytelling made me deeply care about his character. Being an anime-only watcher, I don't think every future episode from here on out will have a chapter solely dedicated to a secondary shogi player, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw another episode that had a similar structure to this one.

Gosh, that second half was just so heartwarming to see Rei's interaction with Hina on the riverbank. She looked so darn cute with her hair down and wearing Rei's jacket and glasses. <33 Watching her and Akari order sweets and the aftermath that followed made me laugh so hard! Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Having arrived at a plateau in his abilities and results, that joy of improvement has disappeared, and now he's only left with a sport that's painful to play and unrewarding to compete in.

That's the story of my life in everything I've tried.

I was so happy when Silver came home. Wonder where it was all that time?

Rei's a real cutie without his glasses. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
The first part of this ep. had some of the best visuals of the season. And yes, this series manages to make me care more about a character in half an episode than other anime in an entire season...also, Hina trying to wear Rei's glasses was one of the most adorable things ever! Smile
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I am going to miss those awesome scientists. What a moustache! I hope they come visit the club once in awhile before they graduate.

I am comfortable with Hina's bullying storyline as an ongoing one. I feel like such an issue will not be easily resolved, and she may be dealing with it until she and her bullies go their separate ways.

It is pretty weird that there are adults in that club. Hmm. They need to recruit some students ASAP, or else it is just... why should he even bother? For the sake of his principal's goodwill? Lame. Build relationships with your peers!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19