• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School Days (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastershweet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
first of all i actually liked this anime in the beginning spoiler[ the main character was such a player but i didn't really mind that because it made the anime more emotional but after the one chick got pregnant it started going downhill and the ending was the worst ending i have ever seen in my life seriously it was worst then the ending of gantz were it didn't explain anything!] so my opinion on this anime is that its not worth watching
mrcuteguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:14 am Reply with quote
looking for a similar anime ... any recommendation ?

But hopefully not so erotic ...
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
mrcuteguy wrote:
looking for a similar anime ... any recommendation ?

But hopefully not so erotic ...

Clannad and Clannad After Story? Umm... maybe Shuffle. School Days ending is pretty unique with it's whole "Bad End" ending. Kind of a inside joke type of nod to Dating or Ero games since they were the source material. Clannad and Shuffle are pretty similar to what School Days did. I won't go any deeper to avoid any spoilers.

Another Question: Those of you familar with the game, What is considered the actual or best ending to the first game? Is it really the H-ending?
Opera Floozy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Early in this thread, you might've seen multiple references to how similar this show is to KGNE. This is short for the Japanese name of Rumbling Hearts. I'm not entirely sure how similar it is, but I'm quite certain it doesn't have the same kind of ending as School Days, which you will be hard pressed to find in romantic comedies. I suppose When They Cry has both: a boy with multiple girls and death and blood, but it's not a romantic comedy.

Most of the endings in School Days were typical harem endings. It's just that the bad endings were so noteworthy that they overshadowed everything. I doubt there will be a canon ending any time soon.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Rumbling Hearts is similar to School Days because it dredges up the same kind of emotions and attempt to show less than perfect people in relationships.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, when I first finished this anime, I had my soul torn apart. The ending just literally 'killed' me. I've rewatched it a lot, and seen some new multiple endings.

I enjoyed the series after rewatching it, but at first, I hated it for the bad ending.

Only thing for me to say is, if you want to enjoy this anime, you'll have to be able to take in a tragic ending.
mrcuteguy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finish the anime , very similar to KGNE indeed only this one is somemore more extreme in every expect.

Kinda love it though although bit to erotic and too much fan service.

From a sweet and cute beginning, perverted halfway , erotic towards the end, and guess what ? shocking ending.

I think the anime creator wanted to tell us .... dun you guys dare to 2 time or 3 or 4
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Well, when I first finished this anime, I had my soul torn apart. The ending just literally 'killed' me.

No, the ending figuratively killed you. If it had literally killed you, there would be no post here, because you would be dead, since literally means in actual fact.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
This show has balls. I like it. It's basicly a punch in the face to all subpar harem shows out there.

It's definitely worth watching. School Days is no masterpiece, but there is some cult value in it.
rojse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote
naninanino wrote:
This show has balls. I like it. It's basicly a punch in the face to all subpar harem shows out there.

It's definitely worth watching. School Days is no masterpiece, but there is some cult value in it.

I have to agree with this sentiment, and would add it also comes across as a "take that" towards dating sims, too, even considering that the show was originally based on a dating-sim visual novel.
samus214

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
it was good till the end but i watch this sortly after i brock up with my first GF spoiler[wen i saw the guy get killed by that chick.] i was a little scared to get anouther one. but that was wen i was a child. i got over it.
simmeh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I skimmed the entire topic; I didn't see anyone bring this up, so I thought I would:

Was I the only one who noticed the similarities between School Days and the various tragic plays we were all forced to study in high school English? Remember all that stuff your teacher rambled on about, like hubris and tragic flaws and the like? Remember doing character dissections of the cast of Hamlet and That Scottish Play?

Think about it. Makoto, Kotonoha, and Sekai all start as okay(ish) people with fairly 'tame' intentions. Makoto wants to make time for that cute girl, that same cute girl just wants him to ask her out, Sekai just wants to help the whole thing along and make everyone happy. Now, remember Hamlet? He just wanted to find out what the real story behind his father's death, and set the whole thing right.

What happens next? Well, the tragic flaws takes over. It starts with spoiler[Sekai, who can't control her feelings. Her flaw is that she just wants to be loved, after spending so much time making everyone else happy - she's jealous]. This causes a change in spoiler[Makoto, who, with his newfound confidence, finds out the pleasures of the flesh are hard to resist, and that he has strange harem-male-lead powers to make girls fall at his feet - he's lustful]. This of course circles back to spoiler[Kotonoha, who is not entirely emotionally stable. Her flaw? Not so much a character flaw as it is just being a frail, easily trod upon person. She shows flashes of jealousy and lust, yes, but eventually the strain causes her to completely snap]. Now, remember That One Scottish Dude? spoiler[He was told he was going to be king, but his impatience and lust for power got the better of him, so he started to take matters into his own hand]

What was the result of our little Japanese love triangle? spoiler[A downward spiral into mental breakdowns and bloody murders]. How do both Hamlet and That Scottish Play end? spoiler[Madness and death].

So yeah, I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it's food for though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
simmeh wrote:
So yeah, I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it's food for though.

Good point. School days does have Shakespearean-scale tragedy to it. I don't believe that is accident I would be surprised if the writer (forget the name) hadn't seen one of the plays.

Put it this way, however, you have to conclude that School Days is ultimately disappointing. There is nothing it adds to the work it derives from, other than the spatter-pattern shock value. What it does right is draw you into the characters before they fall, but where it fails is that once they start their tragic descent you lose contact with them. At least not for me. I was still at the guard rail above watching them spatter on the concrete below, not three with them.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
simmeh wrote:

Was I the only one who noticed the similarities between School Days and the various tragic plays we were all forced to study in high school English? Remember all that stuff your teacher rambled on about, like hubris and tragic flaws and the like? Remember doing character dissections of the cast of Hamlet and That Scottish Play?

Think about it. Makoto, Kotonoha, and Sekai all start as okay(ish) people with fairly 'tame' intentions. ... Sekai just wants to help the whole thing along and make everyone happy. ...

I was under the impression that Sekai just wanted to be Makoto's girlfriend, and this is the gender-swapped version of being the "nice guy". Still probably supports your idea though. It certainly reinforces her tragic flaw.
Saber1213

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I just finished this Anime. Wow! That's all I have to say. It's sick and twisted, but in a brilliant sort of way. I haven't seen anything in a long time that has so horrified and disturbed me.

Most of the characters were jerks, but the story I think was well told.

I have to give props to the soundtrack. It was calm, and yet at the same time, haunting. I thought many of the ending songs were very beautiful, and it made for a good contrast to the dark subject matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21