• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Halts Romeo×Juliet Fansub with FUNimation's Help

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Ah...how annoying...

(Yeah, and how many people would watch it for free and NOT buy the DVD. And watching the DVD rip... that just makes it worse. )

*rolls eyes.* It's a repetitive thing, and no one is getting it.

Or better yet, they do get it, don't care and will still continue to do it.
I don't think they need "further convincing" to why they should should stop downloading fansubs.

-.- before this gets into another b*tchfest, I request a lock. Please.

Yes, how annoying is it. besides the many people just assume the worst of everyone around them, its quite tiring when others don't take your views into consideration and label you as a theif.

Sometimes the way people go on around here it seems like fansub watchers= killers. I'm positive some witty individual will take that statement and run with it.

There are no real numbers on how many people buy after watching a fansub and vise versa. Sales could just be bad because compaines are over printing and later having to sale their wares at a much cheaper price for people to buy. (like rightstuf's bargin bins and such) Plus with all the mentionings of waiting for thinpaks of realeases.

Some of the tones in posts in every fansub thread make it seem as if people who spend the most money are the best fans. That is an idiotic view on things. As stated before you don't have to spend money to be a fan. Someone shouldn't have to spend $10,000 and own 3000 dvds to be considered a fan of anything.

What about those who watch games in bars? They only pay for drinks (and sure some of the cost of the drinks goes towards the rent, tv and such) but they're not paying for the tv. Or for the channel to play the game. So how do people make money of those games?

It's been a b*tchfest for the past however many pages. Seems like an odd time to notice once you've said your own piece.

Seems to me like this issue will never be solved. (at least not through debate) Why? Because some people will never take others thoughts into consideration and feel that "locking" the debate will be the best way to get things settled.

lock the thread if you wish, but to me: it sounds like conciding defeat. Wink

Last edited by britannicamoore on Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
Enerccio wrote:
Okay since target for this post is under lock, I can use this thread instead Anime hyper.

Okay, I bought my first anime dvd.
I did it cause few conditions:
a) it was not expensive (around 20$)
b) it was located in my city
c) I already saw fansub/dvdrip and loved it.

I am talking about anime Paprika, which I saw not two days ago and today I went and bought it, since I love it. If there will be more licensed anime here I would be grateful to do that for each show. But as you can see I would not do it if I wont see paprika before for free...

First I would like to say that I pre-ordered Paprika blind the day it became available for pre-order. I already know I like Satoshi Kon's work, I don't need to see it for free. Also there were tons of 5 minute previews on the internet, there was no need to steal it.

But that's besides the point, the reason I wrote this is because you said you got it in the city, and the way you made it sound that you actually have the DVD in your hands as we speak. Well Paprika isn't released till Nov. 27. Unless there was some major screw up where a retailer released it a full month early(most won't even have the disc's by then) 9 chances out of 10 you bought a bootleg.

Edit:
britannicamoore wrote:
What about those who watch games in bars? They only pay for drinks (and sure some of the cost of the drinks goes towards the rent, tv and such) but they're not paying for the tv. So how do people make money of those games?

Have you ever seen a cable bill for a sports bar, or a satellite bill? Depending on how many screens are actually in the bar, the bill can get close to a thousand dollars a month. Just because you can get it for $35 dollars at home doesn't mean a commercial business that revolves around TV pays the same price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enerccio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

But that's besides the point, the reason I wrote this is because you said you got it in the city, and the way you made it sound that you actually have the DVD in your hands as we speak. Well Paprika isn't released till Nov. 27. Unless there was some major screw up where a retailer released it a full month early(most won't even have the disc's by then) 9 chances out of 10 you bought a bootleg.

Chance is still but I think its authentic (2DVD, one bonus with talks with authors etc..) also Sony watermark/holograph etc... and this is standard dvd store, not some gypsies one... but I cannot say that its 100% authentically.

And its released by Bonton, which is local and the biggest dvd producer here too...

And you forget I AM NOT IN THE US Smile I have R2 dvds.
And look at amazon.co.uk, you can see its released in the UK too Smile
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paprika-Megumi-Hayashibara/dp/B000SNUR16/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-3146834-6387040?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1193679087&sr=8-1

For the reason to pirate it... it was one more. It was Friday evening when I saw the preview. THERE WERE NO WAY FOR ME TO GET IT THAT TIME. I would have to wait till monday.... but who would?

Last edited by Enerccio on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Enerccio wrote:
Okay since target for this post is under lock, I can use this thread instead Anime hyper.

Okay, I bought my first anime dvd.
I did it cause few conditions:
a) it was not expensive (around 20$)
b) it was located in my city
c) I already saw fansub/dvdrip and loved it.

I am talking about anime Paprika, which I saw not two days ago and today I went and bought it, since I love it. If there will be more licensed anime here I would be grateful to do that for each show. But as you can see I would not do it if I wont see paprika before for free...

First I would like to say that I pre-ordered Paprika blind the day it became available for pre-order. I already know I like Satoshi Kon's work, I don't need to see it for free. Also there were tons of 5 minute previews on the internet, there was no need to steal it.

Edit:
britannicamoore wrote:
What about those who watch games in bars? They only pay for drinks (and sure some of the cost of the drinks goes towards the rent, tv and such) but they're not paying for the tv. So how do people make money of those games?

Have you ever seen a cable bill for a sports bar, or a satellite bill? Depending on how many screens are actually in the bar, the bill can get close to a thousand dollars a month. Just because you can get it for $35 dollars at home doesn't mean a commercial business that revolves around TV pays the same price.

I seem to be frequneting too many shady bars considering they don't pay that much. Maybe thats why I can get into them?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Enerccio wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

And you forget I AM NOT IN THE US Smile I have R2 dvds.

I see, well the only R2 release that has a bonus disc is the limited edition. Which retails about ¥ 13,440 ($117). You must have got a great deal to only get it for $20 (83% off MSRP).

Edit:
oh, and I have been meaning to ask, since I almost ordered the limited R2 myself, is the artbox glossy or sheenless?

Edit2:
Enerccio wrote:

But that says it only has one disc, you said it had two.

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the reason to pirate it... it was one more. It was Friday evening when I saw the preview. THERE WERE NO WAY FOR ME TO GET IT THAT TIME. I would have to wait till monday.... but who would?

Someone who had the self-control to go a couple days without doing so, I guess. It's good that you ended up legitimizing that impulse though.

On point: Did anyone else notice that the same day (Oct. 17) that Umai announced that they were cancelling Romeo X Juliet another new group with no IRC channel or webites sprang into existence with the next episode using the exact same naming convention and encoding? I've heard that it had the same style subs too, but if anyone has looked at it I'd be curious to know if there were any other indications that the new group was probably the same as the old one.
Enerccio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This is not Japanese r2 dvds, this is Czech r2 dvds (also due similarity with our language released here).
Enerccio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:53 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Quote:

Someone who had the self-control to go a couple days without doing so, I guess. It's good that you ended up legitimizing that impulse though.

You know how happy I am that I did? I loved that I supported the industry. I loved to see the directors comments on how film was made, I loved to support him. Its not like I don't want to buy dvds, I simply cannot buy as much as you cant...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

It's been a b*tchfest for the past however many pages. Seems like an odd time to notice once you've said your own piece.

Seems to me like this issue will never be solved. (at least not through debate) Why? Because some people will never take others thoughts into consideration and feel that "locking" the debate will be the best way to get things settled.

lock the thread if you wish, but to me: it sounds like conciding defeat. Wink

I didn't say my own piece. If I DID, it would've been a hell of a lot longer than what you have read.

This should be locked. The other one had reason to be and everyone just ran back over here to start up something else. It's not settling ANYTHING, haven't you noticed at all?

Debates are fun, but it's recycled over and over again...
And this isn't a game, I'm not asking to be defeated or to win, however, you have proven my point. I thank you very much.

Enerricio, Monday wasn't that far behind...I gotta say, your logic is really..weird. Maybe not much but...you saying that you couldn't wait a few more days for a DVD release, and you just HAD to download it....ah, whatever floats your boat. I don't think it would kill me that I couldn't get an anime in a months time...I'm still waiting for Death Note so I can collect that Ryuk figure.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK Tony K. was in the Claymore thread? Which would mean he viewed fansubs. Lets not assume mods positions based on the fact they locked the thread. And BOTH sides were being repetitive. Hearing this blame from the people about how they kept telling us we were stealing and we wouldn't agree with them is inane, because they weren't agreeing with us after all our arguments either.

Both sides were not coming up with anything actually new. I'm taking blame for that too, and I think it's wrong for others to play it off now as though they had nothing to do with the discussion becoming repetitive.

Anyway, I think a lock would be fine. I'm sure the fansub debate will return in full force again. The issues aren't going to change tomorrow.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
AFAIK Tony K. was in the Claymore thread? Which would mean he viewed fansubs. Lets not assume mods positions based on the fact they locked the thread.

Very true. One of the mods is an ex-fansubber himself.

As far as this thread goes I am sure there will be other threads that come up to be able to talk about this, no need to rehash it in this one.

Also I want to apologize to Enerccio for doubting the validity of his Czech release.

MokonaModoki wrote:
On point: Did anyone else notice that the same day (Oct. 17) that Umai announced that they were cancelling Romeo X Juliet another new group with no IRC channel or webites sprang into existence with the next episode using the exact same naming convention and encoding? I've heard that it had the same style subs too, but if anyone has looked at it I'd be curious to know if there were any other indications that the new group was probably the same as the old one.

My guess is it is the same group under a different or no name. Groups have done it before, so it's not like it's unprecedented.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
AFAIK Tony K. was in the Claymore thread? Which would mean he viewed fansubs. Lets not assume mods positions based on the fact they locked the thread. And BOTH sides were being repetitive. Hearing this blame from the people about how they kept telling us we were stealing and we wouldn't agree with them is inane, because they weren't agreeing with us after all our arguments either.

Just out of curiousity, is this being pointed out towards me? I know I was the first to say to lock it because "IT" was getting repeative. Though it was obviously seen as an attack.

Xanas wrote:

Both sides were not coming up with anything actually new. I'm taking blame for that too, and I think it's wrong for others to play it off now as though they had nothing to do with the discussion becoming repetitive.

I agree that no one was coming up with anything new. However, I don't know who's trying to "play it off."

Xanas wrote:

Anyway, I think a lock would be fine. I'm sure the fansub debate will return in full force again. The issues aren't going to change tomorrow.

Agreed. I already know how it's going to turn out...

A = We must stop the distrubition of fansubs!
B = But we love our anime!
A = Well, we have to support what the company says! We love our anime too!
B = But we don't get the stuff in the US (or where ever else) fast enough!!
A = SO?
B = I refuse to buy it unless I watch it first. How am I supposed to know if I like it?
A = The whole series? That doesn't make any sense.
B = If you were in our shoes, you'd understand.
A = We understand to an extent, but downloading is illegal. And it doesn't justify downloading a whole series.
B = SO?
A = If you want to support the creator, you MUST buy their stuff!IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL GO TO ANIME HELL!
B = YOU CAN'T MAKE US!
A = WE WANT TO MAKE YOU!
B = Ah, why can't you understand our side? You say you do, but you really don't!
A = You don't seem to understand our side either.

A = *Headdesk*
B = *headesk*

MOD = *HEADDESK, locks thread.*

(>.>; Not to be taken seriously.)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Xanas wrote:
AFAIK Tony K. was in the Claymore thread? Which would mean he viewed fansubs. Lets not assume mods positions based on the fact they locked the thread.

Very true. One of the mods is an ex-fansubber himself.

As far as this thread goes I am sure there will be other threads that come up to be able to talk about this, no need to rehash it in this one.
And one's a current fansubber Wink But regardless of my own views, I'm judging that the majority of the "revived" discussion is no longer about Gonzo, Funimation, or Romeo x Juliet. So at the suggestion of several posters within the thread, I'm locking it. Please don't consider this an endorsement of one side or the other of the debate, which is still alive and well in a few other threads.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20