• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Considers More Gintama Based on Film Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Anyway, I don't see how people would see this as a threat. It's simply business. If something does well and makes money, you continue with it. If it doesn't do well, you cut your losses. This is nothing but being upfront about it.

Did people really think that if the Gintama movie did really well, Sentai was never going to look at the rest purely out of spite?
Seems to me the 'threat' is that their precious series might *GASP* get an English dub. They might even, shock and horror!, LOCALIZE it!

Which defies all logic and reason. Which kind of makes you wonder,is the reason some bilingual releases don't do so well is because some blockheads won't buy it because it has the evil English language on it too??!!

Which btw they'll never have to listen to. Do some people not know how to use the settings on their devices to change the language track??

Excuse me while i go find a wall to bang my head into
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think the only shows ADV got onto [adult swim] are Evangelion and Super Milk Chan in addition to their shows on Showtime such as Chrono Crusade (which was later on SyFy after FUNi picked up the license) and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.
IIRC, Evangelion bombed hard on [as]. They gave in to the demands of the people who wanted them to air it, but in the end no one actually really watched it. Despite fair promotion and at a reasonable time on Thursday nights, it bombed. Everyone already had the show for years, and seen it OVER 9,000 times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
WE NEED THIS.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:18 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Polycell wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Anyway, I don't see how people would see this as a threat. It's simply business. If something does well and makes money, you continue with it. If it doesn't do well, you cut your losses. This is nothing but being upfront about it.

Did people really think that if the Gintama movie did really well, Sentai was never going to look at the rest purely out of spite?
Seems to me the 'threat' is that their precious series might *GASP* get an English dub. They might even, shock and horror!, LOCALIZE it!

Which defies all logic and reason. Which kind of makes you wonder,is the reason some bilingual releases don't do so well is because some blockheads won't buy it because it has the evil English language on it too??!!

Which btw they'll never have to listen to. Do some people not know how to use the settings on their devices to change the language track??

Excuse me while i go find a wall to bang my head into

Err, have you noticed they don't dub everything? The issue is whether enough people buy it to justify the dub, especially for a long series like Gintama. There's a total of 303 episodes. Remember they dropped it at only 49 episodes. They've dropped Glass Mask and Eyeshield 21 (52 out of 145 eps) too.

They aren't clear about what they would do yet IF the movie sells well (May 29). They weren't even clear about dubbing only to say that they would consider it. Are they going to license more, and dub the new eps? Or are they going to license the new eps sub only and redub and re-release from ep 1? There's a limited amount of money and how it would be used between dubbing costs and licensing costs is unknown.

Personally, I'd rather have them secure the license for the rest of the series first and continue to release the rest sub-only as they've done, *then* consider going back and spending a whole boat load of money on the dubs. If I knew they got the rest of the series, then I would not hesitate at all to commit to buying the volumes, sub or dub, as they come out.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:

How so. If a product isn't 100% up to my standards then I don't buy it. I look for alternative sources that do meet my standards. If there is a ridiculous localized dub of Gintama on a R1 release then I won't buy it and will be fine with CR streams. Logically this is the same reasoning as not listening to the dub except with the extra step of letting my dollar do my talking.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Why dub it at all? The money would be better spent on licensing more of the show. Most of the jokes are so centered on Japanese pop culture anyway, localization is not really feasible. JMO.

Agreed. Don't really need another "Case Closed" or "Shin-chan" on our hands.

There's these glorious things called "Translator's Notes".

Which are appropriate, if not required on-screen for subs, not dubs.

Quote:
And I highly doubt that Gintama's jokes are that steeped in Japanese culture. And so what if they are? Humor transcends cultural barriers.

It really is for much of it. If the humor is derived from cultural issues, it can't "transcend" it. And yes, I'd say exactly the same with South Park, King of the Hill, etc. The only way to get around it is to pull a Shin-chan, because I see no way without massive rewriting. Even then, it would seem pretty difficult at times, without getting awkward or very contrived when the joke relies on what's happening on screen.

Of the top of my head I can recall: when they were looking for an apartment for homeless Hasegawa, who was living in a cardboard box at the time, and when asking for a 1LDK configuration (1 living, dining, kitchen) the realtor ended up showing them a doghouse (get it? 1 = wan = woof / dog). Another was some historical thing with the ghost of Nobunaga and his generals mixed in some KISS-like/Kabuki makeup J-rock metal band parody with Kanji on their forehead, referring to themselves with the archaic wagahai

I mean if they want to dub it, ok fine. But I would much rather prefer them to license the rest of the 254 episodes first

re: the quoted text in Boldface --- I think that three episode arc was partly a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure send up, which is it's own definition of obscure*.....

...and this show is full of stuff like that.

*popular in Japan, hardly on the radar in the U.S.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
ARC-1300 wrote:

How so. If a product isn't 100% up to my standards then I don't buy it. I look for alternative sources that do meet my standards. If there is a ridiculous localized dub of Gintama on a R1 release then I won't buy it and will be fine with CR streams. Logically this is the same reasoning as not listening to the dub except with the extra step of letting my dollar do my talking.
Well, it is your right to sabotage the chances of the whole series getting an R1 release by rejecting any that dares sully the Japanese dub and deface the subtitles by including an English audio track - and I'm free to call you a whiny moron Sentai should ignore. If you actually wanted the discs, you'd be happy it's getting dubbed and going after a bigger market instead of acting like it's some sort of personal insult.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Sabotaging is one way to look at it, a very dramatic and emotional way, but valid. I like to look at is as just exercising my rights as a consumer. I've never thought of myself as sabotaging any other product I didn't like by not purchasing it.

If I wanted discs then I'd be happy that it's getting a physical release, that's all. Wanting a physical release doesn't conclude that I would also be happy about a dub of undetermined quality or reaching out for some bigger market that has proven not to be interested in this series for years.

Spending my money how I see fit, moronic and whiny...indeed.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm actually getting some context to this,as most of the comments in themselves sounded foul. For the most part If it doesn't get a dub,it would be fine with me as I own all four of the subtitled releases now.

What really gets me is that people are actually angry that we are getting something extra (possibly). And use that as the whole reason for not purchasing. It just worries me that if this serious does get greenlight for a bilingual release,people wont buy for reasons stated above. And that is something this show doesn't need,its just to niche to handle a dirty and petty blow like that.

Sabotage was a strong word for it,but I felt it got my message across
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Anyone else but me think this is a terrible idea? I mean I'm a huge dub fan, but dubbing this series is a big gamble, no? It be a big investment. Considering they already released some of it, and how long it is. Seems like Sentai is trying to be a really amazing company/very helpful to the fans, but perhaps at the expensive of business sense. Then again I can't see how well the show has sold so far, nor can I predict future sales of the movie. I'll just have to hope they know what they're doing on this series.

I'm not concerned that the quality of the dub would be poor though. Seraphim Studios besides having a misstep or two, has been pumping out some really quality dubs lately. And besides if anyone can dub a comedy it's these guys. Then again I'm really not that interested in this series to begin with.

I agree with Prede here on this one. I could not see how good this is going to turn out (not quality wise but business wise). Sure I love dubs too, but a series like this that has ton of episodes how many people are going to be willing to double dip again just to have the dub. Plus if there are two versions out there some people who never bought the series before might be confused on which version to get (though if I had to guess they would probably grab the cheaper sub only version). If Sentai did dub Gintama I doubt I would get it since I could not get into the series when I tried watching it a few years ago.

ARC-1300 wrote:

What really gets me is that people are actually angry that we are getting something extra (possibly). And use that as the whole reason for not purchasing. It just worries me that if this serious does get greenlight for a bilingual release,people wont buy for reasons stated above. And that is something this show doesn't need,its just to niche to handle a dirty and petty blow like that.

If it does get a dub that would be good, but like I wrote above I am more concerned on a business perspective on how good this would be for Sentai. I cannot see Sentai making any money back from this choice. I doubt those who already bought the series would be willing to buy it again just to get the dub. Someone new into Gintama might be more willing to get the cheaper set because well it's cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I think the only shows ADV got onto [adult swim] are Evangelion and Super Milk Chan in addition to their shows on Showtime such as Chrono Crusade (which was later on SyFy after FUNi picked up the license) and Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040.
IIRC, Evangelion bombed hard on [as]. They gave in to the demands of the people who wanted them to air it, but in the end no one actually really watched it. Despite fair promotion and at a reasonable time on Thursday nights, it bombed. Everyone already had the show for years, and seen it OVER 9,000 times.

Yeah, I guess that's why [adult swim] refuses to air many shows that have been around in the US for a while. To this day, fans have been asking for them to show Ranma 1/2, but I guess because EVA wasn't a big hit on the block, they don't feel like touching it (though to be fair, Ranma did have a brief limited run in syndication in the mid-90s).

Quote:
Showtime also aired Dirty Pair Flash, and a few ADV shows also ran on TechTV, such as Rahxephon, Abenobashi, and Cromartie High School.

I agree. While people are entitled to their wallet and can spend their money as they choose, you can't deny that not buying a bilingual anime release only because you disapprove of one of the language tracks is pretty foolish. Dub-only and sub-only, I can understand, but when the language track you like is on the disc, who cares if the one you hate is on their too?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I guess that's why [adult swim] refuses to air many shows that have been around in the US for a while.

Actually, the real reason is that one of the Adult Swim executives DESPISES anime and he alone makes it absurdly hard to get one on there in the first place.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I agree. While people are entitled to their wallet and can spend their money as they choose, you can't deny that not buying a bilingual anime release only because you disapprove of one of the language tracks is pretty foolish. Dub-only and sub-only, I can understand

So long as there is a legal alternative that allows me to choose how I support the show there's nothing foolish about it. Before legal streaming sites popped up the only legal option to support a show I liked was importing DVDs(pre-BR with Eng subs).

Quote:

but when the language track you like is on the disc, who cares if the one you hate is on their too?

You're not going to convince a vegan to buy a Chef salad just because it has tomatoes and the restaurant is having a down year. The reasoning can't be that damn hard to understand.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
You're not going to convince a vegan to buy a Chef salad just because it has tomatoes and the restaurant is having a down year. The reasoning can't be that damn hard to understand.
Fallacious analogy detected! It's more like refusing to order from a pizza place because they put peppers in the box. Lord forbid you should just throw the damn thing away.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Fallacious analogy detected! It's more like refusing to order from a pizza place because they put peppers in the box. Lord forbid you should just throw the damn thing away.

Better yet, is the same as not ordering pizza from the only pizza restaurant in your city because the cook is not Italian.

As someone who has worked with Gintama, I can say that yes, it can be and it has been dubbed to other languages and the silver soul of the series remained the same (many Gintama jokes are not exactly high comedy, btw).

And, in any case, if the English sub of Gintama becomes "Samurais' Silver lining" , so what? Better one "Ken Tocker" in hand than none.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4