• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON Manga's Second Run to End in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackstick

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Why is the "discuss this in the forum" link in the article linked to Lockerz?
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Goggen wrote:

1. That was a misunderstanding

Uh huh. It was a misunderstanding on Ritsu's part, sure. That doesn't change the fact that Mio wrote a love song about Ritsu!

Um, no. She wrote a song and sent it over to Ritsu for input. Seriously, watch the episode again. It is very obvious that Mio is completely oblivious to the fact it could be interpreted that way.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
There is significantly more evidence that at least Mio and Mugi are gay than there is of ANY of them being straight.

The truth is, of course, that they'll never even encounter anyone of the opposite sex, nor will they ever become romantically linked with anyone. For all intents and purposes, they're asexual. As pointed out earlier in the thread, they like to tease the "girl-on-girl" fans in the audience, but you're dreaming if you think anything's ever going to come of it. In the end, you can say they're all lesbians and there's nothing to prevent that interpretation - but it's never going to be proven one way or the other, and it's never going to matter.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
or even find boyfriends

The Otaku would never let this happen.

LOL..I forget. The otakus might have sent kaifly to the hospital like they did with Kannagi's mangaka when they found out she wasn't a virgin (dark Kannagi).

I just believe kaifly didn't take full advantage of either group of girls and gave us two sub-par manga series.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
or even find boyfriends

LOL..I forget. The otakus might have sent kaifly to the hospital like they did with Kannagi's mangaka when they found out she wasn't a virgin (dark Kannagi).
I've heard mixed rumors on this - some say it was because she merely had a boyfriend before(with no sign she'd been deflowered). Can anybody point me to a definitive source?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
sburstall wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
or even find boyfriends

I've heard mixed rumors on this - some say it was because she merely had a boyfriend before(with no sign she'd been deflowered). Can anybody point me to a definitive source?

She only had a boyfriend. Otaku take this to believe she's a slut since she has liked multiple guys, thus she's not a virgin.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:

Um, no. She wrote a song and sent it over to Ritsu for input. Seriously, watch the episode again. It is very obvious that Mio is completely oblivious to the fact it could be interpreted that way.

Yeah, thats the point. Her obliviousness is what makes it suggestive. She didn't go "Oh, I'll write a song about someone in love with Ritsu, because hey why not?", she went "Oh, I want to write a love song" *writes song about Ritsu*

RyanSaotome wrote:

She only had a boyfriend. Otaku take this to believe she's a slut since she has liked multiple guys, thus she's not a virgin.

And by "Otaku" we mean "a few trolls on 2ch/2chan", blown out of proportion by Sankaku Complex.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
This doesn't even matter, as it didn't happen in the manga.

The manga is THE canon of the series. Unless Kafliky says it happened or retcons it in, it's not canon. The anime is merely an adaption of the manga, anything in it is not canon unless Kafliky/the manga says so.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
This doesn't even matter, as it didn't happen in the manga.

The manga is THE canon of the series. Unless Kafliky says it happened or retcons it in, it's not canon. The anime is merely an adaption of the manga, anything in it is not canon unless Kafliky/the manga says so.

I believe I've already stated my opinion on the manga.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Your opinion is irrelevant. If it didn't happen in the manga, it's not canon. You can ignore the manga all you want, but canon is set in stone.
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Goggen wrote:

Yeah, thats the point. Her obliviousness is what makes it suggestive. She didn't go "Oh, I'll write a song about someone in love with Ritsu, because hey why not?", she went "Oh, I want to write a love song" *writes song about Ritsu*

But the song is not about Ritsu, it just happens to sound like it. Comical misunderstandings ensue. That is the joke. Honestly, you're overthinking a fairly standard sitcom trope here. Like I mentioned before, there's nothing to stop you from interpreting K-On as a story about lesbian school girls forming a rock band if you so choose, but the episode you're referring to just can't be referred to for "proof".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Goggen wrote:

But the song is not about Ritsu, it just happens to sound like it.

Yes, Mio's songwriting is well known to be completely detached and logical, and not at all a direct insight into her most guarded aspects of her personality.

Come on, saying it "just happens" is completely ignoring everything that is known about Mio's personality!
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Goggen wrote:

But the song is not about Ritsu, it just happens to sound like it.

Yes, Mio's songwriting is well known to be completely detached and logical, and not at all a direct insight into her most guarded aspects of her personality.

Come on, saying it "just happens" is completely ignoring everything that is known about Mio's personality!

Good grief. I didn't say it "just happens" to be a love song, I'm saying it "just happens" to sound like it's about Ritsu, thus allowing for the resulting comedic misunderstanding. That's all there is to it. If as you say it really was about Ritsu, then it wasn't a misunderstanding, and there's no joke there, making the whole thing pointless.

The real issue here, though, is why this event from the anime was brought up in a discussion about the original manga. It's not even relevant, so why are we debating this?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Why are people even arguing this? It was OBVIOUSLY thrown in there to hint at Mio liking Ritsu. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Why are people even arguing this? It was OBVIOUSLY thrown in there to hint at Mio liking Ritsu. There is no ifs ands or buts about it.

It's just subtext, so why does it even matter? There's nothing profound about it and certainly the closet door hasn't been thrown wide open. It's just extra tidbits for those who enjoy lesyay.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It's just subtext, so why does it even matter? There's nothing profound about it and certainly the closet door hasn't been thrown wide open. It's just extra tidbits for those who enjoy lesyay.

And? Its still way more evidence than that she's straight, which has basically no support at all.

Also, I find the idea that any sort of lesbian relationship is just for "lesyay" and is not a perfectly valid relationship to be pretty small minded.

If Ritsu were a boy, no one would doubt what this meant. Yes, its subtext, but subtext is a valid form of writing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4