• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How you started with anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
EricJ wrote:

Classic. That's why seeing the Densha Otoko intro all those years later and hearing ELO come on just gave me chills...

http://youtu.be/uJHRtklMRwc

Well, now you know what Densha ripped it off from. Razz

(Also turned up as a don't-blink pop-ref gag in FLCL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzqUnk75-ME )
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
A pure blind buy in a comic book store in a mall. I picked up a couple of VHS tapes that looked as if they might be interesting. OH! My Goddess OVA vol 1 and Ranma 1/2 TV vol 1. It was all down hill from there. That was in Aug 1997.

For what it is worth children, I was born in 1945. The war wasn't quite over then.

*GASP* I salute you, good sir! It's always great to see another otaku formed from zee love of Belldandy.

I forgot to mention AMG in my thread above, but it had a huge impact on me. Still does. I religiously read the manga! Belldandy will always be my first anime/manga love Smile
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
For what it is worth children, I was born in 1945. The war wasn't quite over then.

You sir, are the winner.
Italyfan34

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
I watched Pokemon and stuff on TV but I never connected that as anime. I didn't connect Sailor Moon as anime until I wandered into the anime section at Best Buy. I missed all the Adult Swim anime. It was on too late and I was a little girl.

Did you like everything you saw, or were there some stinkers but you kept watching anyway?

Heh,I started liking anime since I was like,I dunno 9? Laughing like the quote says,I watched Pokemon when I was 7 but I didn't connect that with anime.My first anime was Hamtaro. Smile

I love Hetalia and always will!!! Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
@ Pixelationist

I wish it felt more like a win. Sad I wouldn't want to be your age again (I would have to go back to work), but I sure wish I felt the way I did then. It is just that when I see people half my age feeling old, I can't resist. Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Some combination of Cartoon Network (DBZ originally) along with dual audio anime rips. I was originally a pretty avid dub fan since it's what I knew. It was that and later fansubs (starting with Claymore) that got me into purchasing a lot of it eventually, once I had an income to support it.

Now I keep up with preordering any series that come over here that I liked (and some I didn't even watch if they are being dubbed out of loyalty to that) but I see almost everything new with fansubs that sounds interesting. I am not big into the streaming sites because they are inconsistent in performance and less convenient to use than files that I can queue up from the same place and forget. I don't hate advertisements, although the web ads typically are annoying because they repeat the same ad all the time.

I've considered paying for streaming access, but as long as I'm buying DVDs/BDs as much as I am I'd rather just contribute that way since it suits my preferences better.
tocahan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
My first exposure was hearing a friend of my older brother talking about this Japanese cartoon he had seen where they had raised the battleship Yamato and turned it into a spaceship. The first anime I remember actually watching was either Akira or Bubblegum Crisis. I know I saw them both about the same time, around 1991.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I started with anime sometime in the late-70s at around age 7 when the Battle of the Planets version of Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, which was soon followed a year or so later when Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato).

Around two years later, my family got cable, and I remember Showtime running a few Japanese shows under the Force Five (Gaiking, Danguard Ace, Getter Robo G, Grendizer, and Starzinger). They also showed Thunderbirds 2086 (Technovoyager).

The rest of the early-80s gave me Tranzor Z (Mazinger Z) and Voltron (GoLion, Dairugger XV). There may have been one or two other shows around that time, but those are the two that come to mind.

Then, one day in 1985, my best friend told me about Robotech (Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada) after seeing it after the airing of the first episode earlier that day.

Around the time of the first run of Robotech's Southern Cross arc, Starlog magazine ran an article on Japanese animation. Reading that article, I learned of the existence of Gundam, Urusei Yatsura, Dirty Pair, and a few other titles. at the time, I never expected to ever see any of the titles that I had just learned about.

About a year after Robotech aired, everything changed when my best friend invited me to go with him to a comic show (which actually wound up being a science-fiction convention) in New York City. It was at that show where I saw a video of the familiar "Veritech" fighter, but in a scene that I did not remember ever seeing in Robotech. Talking to the dealer running the table, he told me that the movie he was running was Macross: Do You Remember Love?. Sadly, I did not have the money to buy it from him and had to settle for ordering it from him later that week.

Seeing Macross: Do You Remember Love? officially introduced me into the world of anime and revealed that a lot of the shows that I enjoyed as a kid were of Japanese origin.

It wouldn't be until a year later that I would see my second untranslated anime, Macross Flashback 2012. Soon after, however, I went on to buy my next four titles Dangaio, Megazone 23 Part II, Fight! Iczer One, and Gundam: Char's Counterattack. After those four titles, everything else is a complete blur. To this day, anime continues to bring enjoyment into my life!
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I can tell my story again Razz

I was exposed to the medium at the early age of 5, with the movie My Neighbor Totoro and Phoenix 2772 a bit later, but it didn't stick with me. I felt it was super-depressing stuff at that time (I was all about shiny Disney Movies)

Then, I watched stuff that would randomly pop on Tv. The big ones were Sailor Moon (up to S2 until I couldn't find the show anymore during my tv hours) Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya(the most "mature" show of them all at the time). But don't get confused, I wasn't an anime fan. In fact, I didn't even know what it was; going as far as thinking Dragon Ball was a national product (I'm from Argentina).

Plus, I'd watch those shows as well as Thundercats, Street Sharks and a long list of other stuff. There was nothing particularly special about them.

Once I became a teen I wanted nothing to do with animation of any kind. So, there's a big blank until 2006: My first college year. There was an informal Film Club, so to speak. We'd get to this place every wednesday and watch movies of ANY kind, selected by our senior buddies (I was trying to study Cinema back then) . One of those times it was about anime. They showed Princess Mononoke and Ghost In The Shell with original japanese audio and subs. The language disgusted me, but the stories were interesting enough to raise my interest once again.

Anime was back on my mind, and now I knew what it was (and where it came from).

But I wasn't a fan either. I was just...intrigued about it.

One year later, I was in another city starting again with college. I finally felt I was able to do what I wanted. I could have get a tattoo (actually, that's what my cousin, who was living with me, did in the first month) but instead I wanted to buy some anime disks.

The chosen one was Neon Genesis Evangelion, because I just kept hearing and hearing about it (I knew about NGE from a videogame magazine back then in 2000, and when we watched GITS the guys said NGE was even crazier). As cliched as it might sound around here, it made me a fan. But it wasn't easy.

The first two disks sucked big time. I wanted to get the hell out of there when I heard Shinji's desperate screams in Ep 1. And most episodes were slow and moody, plus there was this thingy with the japanese language...it didn't sound right. Fortunately, I'd start to like the show ever since Asuka appeared, and by the final episodes I was in love.

That happened in mid-2007, so compared to some of you guys, I'm a noob. The first two years were slow as hell, as well. I watched what I could find (and wasn't very good at it): Full Metal Alchemist, FLCL, Elfen Lied, Haruhi Suzumiya. I didn't have a developed criterion back then, so I loved them all.

From 2009 onwards I had access to a faster internet and more time to myself. So, basically I never slowed down ever since. Following current-season shows didn't start until this very year, with shows as Fate Zero and Bodacious Space Pirates.

And it seems like my journey into this medium has just begun.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am a 80's kid, so I grew up on Robotech and Voltron, but I also watched a lot of Nickelodeon back in the day, when 80% of the stuff on the channel was anime, but they kind of handwaved it away. I eventually saw Warriors of the Wind, which then led to the hyperviolent Japanimation block that had The Professional, Barefoot Gen, a Dirty Pair movie, Locke the Superman. Then I shifted over to Saturday Anime on the Sci-fi Channel, then anime hit the "mainstream" with Dragonball Z and Gundam Wing.

Since then, I've been feeding the thousands strong collection. And I don't really plan on stopping anytime soon.
magmalord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
During an Christmas pagent between showings some of us guys were hanging around discussing, well, whatever. Someone mentioned this old show he used to watch as a kid called Yu Yu Hakusho, at the time I didn't know it was a cartoon, let alone an anime series. I decided to look for this online and as soon as I saw what it was I knew it was "one of them Japanese cartoons", but I decided to watch it anyway. I fell in love with the series and I told myself that that would be the only Japapnese cartoon I would watch. A couple of months later I saw one of Harry Patridge's cartoons entitled "The American Akira" I didn't really get the joke so I decided to look it up on YouTube, and thats where I saw the movie Akira. Another couple of months later someone recomended to watch The Big O and that was an amazing series. I learned that anime wasn't some kiddy crap and it was an true artform.
gaetzan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
My first anime's were Shin chan and pokemon, but i was like 7 or 8 and didn't know that they were anime's. in the first year of high school
i really got into anime with bleach it started with an AMV that i found really cool looking and so i went to investigate it and came on a site that streamed bleach, and started to marathon the episodes. after a while i wanted to see something else and came to a site which streamed more anime's than only bleach and found angel beats, Which blew me away and i think it's a shame that it's only 12 episodes.

BTW: English is my second language.
JuniorMintKiss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Being the oldest of four siblings, much of my time was invested in babysitting the little ones; my two youngest sisters were into shows like Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! I never knew them as being anime, as back then I had no idea what that was. It wasn't until my sophomore year of high school that my best friend's brother started showing us a show called InuYasha. It won both of us over and since 2000, I have been an avid viewer. However, I didn't buy my first DVD until 2005. Now I have a little over 200 DVDs in my collection and countless other merchandise as well. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
warden13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
My first exposure to anime came as a child in the 80's with Voltron and Transformers, however I did not become fully aware of anime until the beginning of high school when I saw Gundam Wing on Toonami. This ignited my interest and even though I wasn't particularly enamored with some on the other show airing I kept watching because it was anime. I watched Toonami and later Adult Swim religiously, even going as far as recording all the shows on VHS in order to collect them (I still have most of these tapes).

My first purchase was some used VHS's of the first season of Slayers from the local Half Price Books (all dubbed except for one odd volume). They were only $10 dollars each, but they still seemed so expensive at the time since that constituted my entire weekly allowance. I eventually started picking up DVD collections for other series (Evangelion, Nadesico, the other two seasons of Slayers) and slowly expanded my collection during the early part of my college years. During my final year of college I finally got and internet connection better than dial-up and discovered fansubs and expanded my awareness of anime out of what was only available in North America. Now I'm out of college and have a job and it been all downhill from there as my collection grows at a ridiculous rate.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
My older sister had friends over a lot when I was younger and one of them showed me episodes of Dragon Ball Z, the sad thing is I don't have any memory of watching it since I was only 3 when he showed it to me, then my older sister eventually got a liscence and then graduated so I never got to see them after that, I just remembered the name because we found an old VHS tape of it. But the first anime I remember watching is Azumanga Daioh, I watched it because I saw it was by the creator of the first manga I've ever read and I thought it looked good so I watched it and thus my anime watching began. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4