• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiroshima Asked to Stop Using Barefoot Gen Manga in Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haplotus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
There's one mistake in the article.

Nakazawa's entire family, except mother, didn't die because of Hiroshima bombing. There was also two of Nakazawa's older brothers who survived, Kōji and Akira. Before the A-bomd the size of the family was seven, Keiji itself, dad, mom, one sister and three brothers. So, "only" his dad Terumi, brother Susumu and sister Eiko died.

I recommend everyone to read Nakazawa's autobiographical book Hiroshima: The Autobiography of Barefoot Gen.
rikiki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:

In my experience in college in Japan, I would say this is one of the top three topics never to talk about. The Japanese young people seemed to be totally oblivious to any atrocities that Japan had committee prior to that bombing. They also incorrectly assumed that I, as an American, approved of the bombings. And strangely, most of them had no idea Nagasaki was also bombed.

This is also probably because in school, the textbooks are revised from time to time to tone down or downright omit some of the cruelties they've done during war. There was an uproar when they were revising the textbooks last time.

You can search around if you want to read more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
A funny little article.

Quote:
A group called "Atomic Bomb Survivors Seeking Peace and Security"
The petitioning group describes itself on its website as a new group, separate from the existing survivors' groups, that is starting "a movement towards building a true peace."
posted a May 7 statement warning of the elevated risks that Japan faces from neighboring countries, and claims that "the 'Hiroshima Peace' movement and 'peace regime' that only advocate 'nuclear disarmament'" have done little to deter the "illegal acts" of other countries.

This is truly Strangelove country. A new survivor's group from an incident 67 years ago claims an antinuclear policy which doesn't account for neighboring countries {Starts with N, ends with N...It's not plural, if you'd notice} having different opinions on the nature {not "use", mind you} of nuclear weapons fails in creating a future of true peace. So is MAD the real answer? Don't know, don't want to ask them...

Quote:

The board said it accepted the petition from the group as "one point of view."

Well answered. And as the group says, you must take in account all points of views.
Optitron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At the age of 6, Nakazawa survived the Hiroshima bombing, but lost his entire family except for his mother.

Actually, Gen lost all his family except for his mother in the fictional account of Keiji Nakazawa's real life experiences. According to I Saw It!, two of Keiji's brothers not in HIroshima at the time of the bombing also survived and returned home afterward... well, returned to what was left of their home anyway.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good. This manga is immensely effective when it comes to warning children against making rash actions, and how the most deceptively simple solutions can actually be the ones that do more harm than the harder ones. It's a snapshot of an era when America was still an arrogant, self-centered nation of capitalist hounds with no regard for human life outside of its home turf.

HOWEVER I am well aware that there were many good men and women in the military at the time, and by no means am I including them in a blanket statement. I'm criticizing the leaders, the government, and companies profiting from human bloodshed, not the soldiers who risked their lives for what they thought was true and just.

Back on topic, I think that pulling this out of children's hands is a form of censorship. I believe I read a few volumes around the age of ten or eleven, and it changed my life and perspective on things. Every child should read it, in my opinion.

Huh? Don't get me wrong I don't think America was a saint during the war at all (the atomic bomb, the internment camps, knowledge of the concentration camps and not doing anything) but you really need to do some serious research on WWII if this what you think.
giao_su

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of a line in the play Greater Tuna (by Jaston Williams and Joe Sears). During an interview by a "reporter from Houston", the character Bertha says that the book Roots should be banned because of its one-sided depiction of slavery.

By the way, what is the other side not depicted by Barefoot Gen? The story concerns experiencing the Hiroshima A-bomb explosion. So, is the other side that that being in Hiroshima when the A-bomb was dropped was really fun?
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
People, can we please stop following up on Apollo-kun's rant?

I live in Malaysia and my home country was one of the areas of Japanese Occupation brutality. I can point out exact locations in my hometown where Japanese soldiers conducted their torture of anyone they deemed a war enemy.

As a citizen of a place that survived a short but intense and brutal occupation where the evils were only slightly lesser than that of Nazi Germany in that there was no systemic policy of genocide, I have no intention to forgive and no intention to forget. But I don't want to see these scars used as jockey material for some kind of history nerd fight.

I think that Apollo-kun is severely misguided and that there are limits to being an apologetic American, but to pursue this conversation will just dig up intensely deep wounds that run through Asia and the Commonwealth. How deep? How about decades of brutal conflict between Communist and Commonwealth / Western forces across Southeast Asia, with the Communists getting their foothold and their strength because it was supported by people who were hurt or needed protection during the Japanese Occupation?

I don't want to see a "You're wrong" "No you're wrong" forum fight involving history nerding when the scars of WW2 are still present in Asia.
haplotus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
giao_su wrote:
By the way, what is the other side not depicted by Barefoot Gen? The story concerns experiencing the Hiroshima A-bomb explosion. So, is the other side that that being in Hiroshima when the A-bomb was dropped was really fun?

If that new group of survivors is ultra-nationalist as someone here says, then I think that they want story without leftist emphasis on the series. Because you could read Brefoot Gen that way, too.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
People, can we please stop following up on Apollo-kun's rant?

I live in Malaysia and my home country was one of the areas of Japanese Occupation brutality. I can point out exact locations in my hometown where Japanese soldiers conducted their torture of anyone they deemed a war enemy.

As a citizen of a place that survived a short but intense and brutal occupation where the evils were only slightly lesser than that of Nazi Germany in that there was no systemic policy of genocide, I have no intention to forgive and no intention to forget. But I don't want to see these scars used as jockey material for some kind of history nerd fight.

I think that Apollo-kun is severely misguided and that there are limits to being an apologetic American, but to pursue this conversation will just dig up intensely deep wounds that run through Asia and the Commonwealth. How deep? How about decades of brutal conflict between Communist and Commonwealth / Western forces across Southeast Asia, with the Communists getting their foothold and their strength because it was supported by people who were hurt or needed protection during the Japanese Occupation?

I don't want to see a "You're wrong" "No you're wrong" forum fight involving history nerding when the scars of WW2 are still present in Asia.
I'd like to add on to this and point out that (I'm going to bold this now, because it's like the third time I've had to say and nobody listened) I admitted that I was wrong and looking at it through one lenses, and Japan was equally at fault. I admitted that my rant should have been a bit more objective and covered the flaws of the Japanese military during this troubled time period as well. It's as if people just read one key little thing and go off on a tangent without fully utilizing the full capabilities of their attention spans.

That being said, I'm sorry that you felt as if I was devaluing you and your country's suffering brought on by Japan. This was never my intention, and you're a more resilient human being than I for being able to live in such a turbulent place.

Of course, people aren't going to read this, and instead are going to just read my original post... :S
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
I'm seething with anger at this right now. As an American, deeply ashamed of what we did to Japan in WWII even though it occurred 5 or 6 decades before I was born, I felt that "Barefoot Gen" was a fair manga politically speaking. The reason I say that is that our government and military at that time were deeply flawed, only getting involved in the war because there was profit to be gained from it, and causing more bad than good. This manga is immensely effective when it comes to warning children against making rash actions, and how the most deceptively simple solutions can actually be the ones that do more harm than the harder ones. It's a snapshot of an era when America was still an arrogant, self-centered nation of capitalist hounds with no regard for human life outside of its home turf.

HOWEVER I am well aware that there were many good men and women in the military at the time, and by no means am I including them in a blanket statement. I'm criticizing the leaders, the government, and companies profiting from human bloodshed, not the soldiers who risked their lives for what they thought was true and just.

Back on topic, I think that pulling this out of children's hands is a form of censorship. I believe I read a few volumes around the age of ten or eleven, and it changed my life and perspective on things. Every child should read it, in my opinion.

Huh? Don't get me wrong I don't think America was a saint during the war at all (the atomic bomb, the internment camps, knowledge of the concentration camps and not doing anything) but you really need to do some serious research on WWII if this what you think.
As I pointed out several times in later posts which nobody seemed to read, I know that America's actions weren't completely unprovoked and that they weren't the only people committing atrocities in the first place. I'm well aware of this. So much so, it would be nice if people didn't remind me of it again.

And in reality, WWII is one of my favorite time periods to do research on, due to the fact that American mentalities towards consumerism and nationalism shifted greatly during those years. But that's a whole other story that has no place being brought up here.
giao_su

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
haplotus wrote:
giao_su wrote:

If that new group of survivors is ultra-nationalist as someone here says, then I think that they want story without leftist emphasis on the series. Because you could read Brefoot Gen that way, too.

Well, I guess I need someone to point out the "leftist emphasis" to me. I do not see anything inherently "leftist" in Barefoot Gen.
Also, virtually all of the political "right" in the U.S. and Japan support nuclear non-proliferation policies and there are even those on the political "right" who support policies aimed at getting rid of all nuclear weapons.
So, I am not sure what a "leftist emphasis" would be short of the government of Hiroshima arguing that Barefoot Gen showed why we should nationalize industry under worker control. Wink
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Of course, people aren't going to read this, and instead are going to just read my original post... :S

Edit your original post.

You may not be able to clean up the rest of it, but if people continue after you edit, get moderators to step in and shut down the other comments.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

Edit your original post.

You may not be able to clean up the rest of it, but if people continue after you edit, get moderators to step in and shut down the other comments.
I didn't want to resort to that, but it looks like that's really the best option, you're right.

EDIT: Yeah, I cut out my whole rant. It was late, and my thoughts weren't fully formed. I just left the last paragraph, not because I can't stand my ground and take the hits, but because an anime forum isn't the place to do so. It was my bad for starting it in the first place.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
It was my bad for starting it in the first place.

It happens, especially on topics that hit us strongly and it explains why quite a few couldn't ignore it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
dannavy85 wrote:
Imagine if we'd turned them over to the Russians in 1945

For the record, Hiromu Arakawa, mangaka of Fullmetal Alchemist, discussed this issue in a lighthearted, comical way in her Hyakushō Kizoku, chapter 19, volume 2.

Someone please teach me how to pronounce those Cyrillic letters. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4